New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I found a recent Lou quote interesting.
In an article about coaching changes, he said 3-4 players will improve under a new coach and 3-4 struggle.

Nelson clearly has improved .

Boychuk's improvement can be traced in part to being healthy again,but also having a more structured D.

JHS has responded positively to the coaching change.

Om the other hand Eberle has struggled since the coaching change.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I found a recent Lou quote interesting.
In an article about coaching changes, he said 3-4 players will improve under a new coach and 3-4 struggle.

Nelson clearly has improved .

Boychuk's improvement can be traced in part to being healthy again,but also having a more structured D.

JHS has responded positively to the coaching change.

Om the other hand Eberle has struggled since the coaching change.

Cizikas has thrived because he already plays Trotz game.

Mayfield has looked like a different player altogether under Trotz - perhaps the most improved IMO, tossup between him & Brock.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Cizikas has thrived because he already plays Trotz game.

Mayfield has looked like a different player altogether under Trotz - perhaps the most improved IMO, tossup between him & Brock.
Cizikas and Martin have thrived yet Clutterbuck hasn’t.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Cizikas and Martin have thrived yet Clutterbuck hasn’t.

I know those are the 3 stooges but clearly C-Buck is the odd man out in terms of what he contributes and subsequently, fan support...

3.5 AAV was absurd when it was inked and it's worse now. When the deal was signed I remember the consensus was that if he could continue potting 15 goals/season and leading the league in hits it wouldn't be so bad.

Wonder what Lou is going to do with the bottom 6. I get this feeling Ladd will be LTIR , bought out or pawned off during expansion. I can't see how he is kept in the fold with his chronic injuries, low production and high cap hit. It's a total waste of limited resources

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know those are the 3 stooges but clearly C-Buck is the odd man out in terms of what he contributes and subsequently, fan support...

3.5 AAV was absurd when it was inked and it's worse now. When the deal was signed I remember the consensus was that if he could continue potting 15 goals/season and leading the league in hits it wouldn't be so bad.

Wonder what Lou is going to do with the bottom 6. I get this feeling Ladd will be LTIR , bought out or pawned off during expansion. I can't see how he is kept in the fold with his chronic injuries, low production and high cap hit. It's a total waste of limited resources

All well said and why, once again, the next few seasons are all about digging our from the wang/snow s**tshow as much as they are trying to build a Cup contender.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
All well said and why, once again, the next few seasons are all about digging our from the wang/snow s**tshow as much as they are trying to build a Cup contender.

Well despite the pile of shit they left us, thankfully there is at least 1 diamond in the pile (Barzal), hopefully Sorokin if he ever makes it over

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
If this team had one more veteran scorer in the top 6 instead of Youth spreading their wings the chances this team goes deep in the playoffs increases dramatically.

The goaltending is adequate enough with the defensive style they play...the Bottom six may be the best in the league when all are in place without the ahl up and down guys.

The real problem is the top 9 if you want to be consistent and or go deep....the 1st half of the season there were too many top 9 that not only were offensively challenged they were defensively the same.

Are the youth exciting ..yes for sure...yet the return to mediocre play is evident at all times never mind assuming they are playoff players.

Rest assured the Martins/Cizikas/Cutterbuck/Komerov/Filip in the bottom 6 will hold their own against anyone in the league in the playoffs..they have the Grit, defensive ability to keep you in any game and all have offensive ability.

The top 6 do not have 5 of 6 that can be depended on constantly....in the grit/defensive and or offensive ability when things get rough.

The defence may be good enough also, plenty of size ..some grit etc.

This is not a knock on the youth they will learn...learning under fire in a playoff race is a hard thing to do ..if you are not made of the fiber the 4th line is made of its a rough go.

I mention these 3 because they have all preformed admirably in past playoff...Fact is teams that played the Isles were in very bad condition physically after dueling with this line for 7 games.
#17 Marts is back which is the teams biggest ace in the hole in a playoff series. This guy is the SUPER glue that takes things stick.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

We hope LL can pull off your last paragraph. It would be nice if he could.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Imagine being the owner/GM for 12 years and after all that time and all those picks, never coming closer to a contenders and basically only having 1 good player.

And the trade Chiarelli made was moronic - Can you imagine how grim this picture would be if you took Barzal & Beau out of the picture? We'd still be talking about Big Griff's ceiling, lol.

Reactions: 12Dog

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Imagine being the owner/GM for 12 years and after all that time and all those picks, never coming closer to a contenders and basically only having 1 good player.

I probably could have done better. Pretty sure some of our more knowledgable posters could have actually done better than Snow, Maloney, or Milbury.

Reactions: periferal

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Yeah,I have to give Mayfield props. He is playing well under Trotz's coaching.

I was ticked at both the Pelech and Mayfield 4-5 year extensions,but it looks like Mayfield's will be a steal.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And the trade Chiarelli made was moronic - Can you imagine how grim this picture would be if you took Barzal & Beau out of the picture? We'd still be talking about Big Griff's ceiling, lol.

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

snow made ONE deal with the ONE gm in the NHL worse than him and that's our only source of hope.

That's how bad snow is...Chiarelli deserves more credit for us having Barzal than snow does.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Did anyone catch this Lou quote - I'm sure he meant it entirely as a generic statement and was not referring to anyone in particular :rolleyes: :

It also has been pretty satisfying to see what happens when a franchise — even one stuck in neutral for decades like this one — is entrusted to smart, capable hands.
Lamoriello, of course, shrugs at that: “There are people who work at keeping their job,” he says, “and there are people who work at doing their job.”

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/lou-lamoriello-has-brought-chills-back-to-islanders-fan-base/

Reactions: 1CupSince

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
This is telling of the old regime

“Did any of Lou Lamoriello’s rules surprise him, or seem unusually difficult?
“Well, I can barely grow a beard, so that’s not much of an issue for me,” he laughed. “You just do it. Don’t argue.”
Lee paused.
“We needed it in a way. If you understand what I’m saying here, the rules were easy to follow because they are perfect timing for us.”

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Did anyone catch this Lou quote - I'm sure he meant it entirely as a generic statement and was not referring to anyone in particular :rolleyes: :

It also has been pretty satisfying to see what happens when a franchise — even one stuck in neutral for decades like this one — is entrusted to smart, capable hands.
Lamoriello, of course, shrugs at that: “There are people who work at keeping their job,” he says, “and there are people who work at doing their job.”

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/lou-lamoriello-has-brought-chills-back-to-islanders-fan-base/
Snow can write a best seller "how to keep your job, instead of actually doing it"....1-suround yourself with unqualified types so they can't replace or question you, 2-kiss the owners rear end, treat him like a buddy though, one of the guys, he may not have alot friends and consider friendship more important than winning.3-ban media types who start collecting huge following that can control fans opinions more than you can.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If I could intrude for a minute, how is Eberle doing and is he likely to be re-signed? His numbers look about par for his course but is he struggling to do it? He always was a head case

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Cal got the Friends of JT special.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If I could intrude for a minute, how is Eberle doing and is he likely to be re-signed? His numbers look about par for his course but is he struggling to do it? He always was a head case

Struggled a bit earlier, seems to be producing more consistently lately. Unlikely to be re-signed.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I have not been impressed with Pelech.

Not giving up on him,but I expected him to make better decisions, play a more solid game.

I thought the same... until the last 10 games.

Now he's blocking passes and shots regularly. He's stepping to guys in the neutral zone. He's become more proficient with the stick, also in quickly getting rid of the puck, usually in a productive manner.

We're seeing the Pelech I've been hoping and waiting to see.

But it definitely took a while and the many times he was left out of the line-up, he deserved it.

Reactions: dood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad