New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Lou never really had a chance to test the UFA market. He was always behind the 8 ball with Traitor stretching out his inevitable Pajama party. This year he has had a year to look at the organization from head to toe, and knowing him he won't be shy to improve the team. It's going to be an exciting summer potentially to see what he does.

Yeah, I really don't blame him for not trying to step in and make any big moves. For one, everything in the organization, from top to bottom, was such a disaster when he took over that no one really knew what any of these guys could play like under competent management. So the evaluation year is a good thing to have.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, I really don't blame him for not trying to step in and make any big moves. For one, everything in the organization, from top to bottom, was such a disaster when he took over that no one really knew what any of these guys could play like under competent management. So the evaluation year is a good thing to have.

Lou has $31,703,334 of capspace next year and potentially more if the cap goes up. It's going to be interesting to see how he uses it. Lee is the only player I can see him going all out to resign. Barzal needs a long term contract. That will only be a fraction of the $31,703,334. This summer will be a big one for the Isles. When all else fails the Isles have the right front office and coaches to improve the team. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'm happy that he had the discipline not to make any stupid moves at the trade deadline. We still have a nice collection of future assets, a ton of cap space, and a system/structure in place that already has the team fighting for first place/home ice with this current roster. I still think this team won't be an easy out in the playoffs and can win a round, but I'm most looking forward to the next 3-5 years.

Look at how Boston played last night. That's the vision I bet Lou and Trotz have for us. They are already ahead of schedule.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Saw a shot of Lou in the pressbox on the tube scribbling something down, he was scouting the game by himself seemingly.

I think this year despite the pleasant season is still an evaluation season. It would not surprise me his plan will take action this summer when he resets the roster.

It's going to be a busy one IMO. Isles are in good hands. Take solace in this Isles fans.

Well, he said as much emphatically on the trade deadline. Nothing new there...

The only thing that would surprise me now is IF he'd have a quiet summer. Don't see that coming. In light of 5 UFAs, all being important players for us, it HAS TO BE a busy, loud summer where bonafide scoring is added.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Lou has $31,703,334 of capspace next year and potentially more if the cap goes up. It's going to be interesting to see how he uses it. Lee is the only player I can see him going all out to resign. Barzal needs a long term contract. That will only be a fraction of the $31,703,334. This summer will be a big one for the Isles. When all else fails the Isles have the right front office and coaches to improve the team. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.
Also with Barzal they will need to pay Pulock who has become our top defenseman and Toews as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also with Barzal they will need to pay Pulock who has become our top defenseman and Toews as well.

Yep. Lock in core players as RFA's. And try to re-sign Lee to a team friendly contract. That will take some money. I would also allocate some money to Sorokin. He is going to be a core piece, and with a Trotz team and with Lou as he did with Brodeur. Goal may be this team's most important cornerstone.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, he said as much emphatically on the trade deadline. Nothing new there...

The only thing that would surprise me now is IF he'd have a quiet summer. Don't see that coming. In light of 5 UFAs, all being important players for us, it HAS TO BE a busy, loud summer where bonafide scoring is added.

Lou is giving this current core group one last chance together before things are blown up in the offseason. It's reminiscent of the 2015 team. This time we have a real GM to re-tool the team loaded with massive cap space.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Lou is giving this current core group one last chance together before things are blown up in the offseason. It's reminiscent of the 2015 team. This time we have a real GM to re-tool the team loaded with massive cap space.
I tend to agree. This team is going to look very different next year. And in some ways, we'll be looking at another "evaluation year." LOL. If all goes according to plan, I think the 2020-2021 season is when this team can truly contend.

Reactions: PWJunior

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm happy that he had the discipline not to make any stupid moves at the trade deadline. We still have a nice collection of future assets, a ton of cap space, and a system/structure in place that already has the team fighting for first place/home ice with this current roster. I still think this team won't be an easy out in the playoffs and can win a round, but I'm most looking forward to the next 3-5 years.

Look at how Boston played last night. That's the vision I bet Lou and Trotz have for us. They are already ahead of schedule.
Amen to that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I definitely see this happening this summer. Hickey and Ladd, going to be interesting how he deals these 2. Incase Isles fans don't recall, Lou was the GM that got Phaneuf off the books, zero retention. If he can do this, then he can do anything!

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
One thing about cap space, it goes very quickly. If Lee is resigned, that could be 6-7 per year, and add Lehner at 4, possibly. That's about 11 million already, with plenty of other needs.

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
Please trade Bailey and Leddy ,while they still have some value! That’s about $11 more mil!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Lou can convince UFA’s to make this their destination and forget our past reputation as a place you’ll never win, I think the team can become a contender really quick. If not then it’s going to take some real GM skills to make the trades to fill holes without creating new holes.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Lou can convince UFA’s to make this their destination and forget our past reputation as a place you’ll never win, I think the team can become a contender really quick. If not then it’s going to take some real GM skills to make the trades to fill holes without creating new holes.

As Doshell pointed out earlier, next year is the transition year and then the team should be in their serious contention window in 20-21.

Bird Boys

May 18, 2018
Louis strictly a junk baller at this point, hes lost a lot on the fastball. Please no more Ludacris signings of the likes of Komarov and hickey for four years.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Louis strictly a junk baller at this point, hes lost a lot on the fastball. Please no more Ludacris signings of the likes of Komarov and hickey for four years.

upload_2019-3-20_16-38-3.png

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bailey's going nowhere.
Why do you say that? Because of his contract and you don't think anyone else will take it on? I agree with that. But if that isn't your reason, no one on this team with the exception of LK, VF and RL was signed by Lou, and even those were desperation signings. He has no particular allegiance to anyone on this team and I'm sure I don't have to mention the word "evaluation" to you. If Lou can swap value and meet a need better, he'll do it. Now, again, do I think moving a guy like JB and getting back something worthwhile would be easy, no, not at all.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Why do you say that? Because of his contract and you don't think anyone else will take it on? I agree with that. But if that isn't your reason, no one on this team with the exception of LK, VF and RL was signed by Lou, and even those were desperation signings. He has no particular allegiance to anyone on this team and I'm sure I don't have to mention the word "evaluation" to you. If Lou can swap value and meet a need better, he'll do it. Now, again, do I think moving a guy like JB and getting back something worthwhile would be easy, no, not at all.
I think he's a valuable player and one that Lou/Trotz will likely keep around.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

This summer will tell us if Lou was really smart last summer and picked up guys like Komarov, Kunhackl, and Fillpula for defensive and PK purposes or if he’s just no longer suited to be a GM. The Hickey signing made no sense. I think we can all agree on that. Those other 3 did if he was trying to make the team fit Trotz’s style.

Reactions: Bird Boys

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This summer will tell us if Lou was really smart last summer and picked up guys like Komarov, Kunhackl, and Fillpula for defensive and PK purposes or if he’s just no longer suited to be a GM. The Hickey signing made no sense. I think we can all agree on that. Those other 3 did if he was trying to make the team fit Trotz’s style.
I dunno, looking at the standings he looks pretty smart to me right now...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bailey could be traded, but it's unlikely that they'd look to just dump him to get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad