Rumor: "Lots of guys available (via trade)" per GR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
There's no room for both. Need for a goalie is far more pressing...I would be surprised if Florida made an offer for either, doesn't make much sense when they'll be UFA at season's end.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I doubt bob signs for anything less than 7 years and there's probably a team that's willing to go for 8 years if they can trade for him. If he was willing to sign for less than 7 years he probably gets 9m or more per year. If he was willing to do 5x8m, there would be so many teams lining up to do that.
Is Bob really going to get that term though? We've seen how teams have become smarter during the past couple of years with contracts to guys that are on the wrong side of 30. Plus Bob is coming off a terrible season and performance always affects the player's next contract.

On top of that, which team can even offer him 7x7? Even Columbus is having their own struggles with capspace.

Canes (capspace & need, cheap owner and Darling's contract already as a burden)
Islanders (capspace & need)
Flyers (capspace & need, I really doubt it though lol)
Sens (cheap owner)
Hawks (capspace is a little tight, but Crawford could be retiring)
Wings (capspace & need, if Howard doesn't get signed)

I'd offer 5x5 and sell Bob on earning more with Florida taxes.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Valid points on him. I do agree he's at the perfect age and watching around the league, with others like DeSmith and Rittich similar in age doing what they're doing gives me some belief LB can be at least a 1b capable of 35-40 games.
Hopefully he can get a couple playoffs games in if Helly Smelly falls apart and we can analyze LB a bit more when the pressure is at peak level.

Who would you feel more comfortable with as backup or the other 1b? Lu or Reim? Assuming itll depend on the rest of the year to gauge it?

Bob at 5 years is doable but wouldnt like anything longer. Quick and Brossoit also have their pros and cons but I hope Tallon knows we need a shakeup in net.
I'd let Luongo retire and go with Reimer, simply because Reimer might bounce back to being a decent 1B but Luongo definitely won't get any younger. I mean healthy Luongo is clearly superior to Reimer but I don't trust him to stay healthy anymore, even for just thirty or so games.
That said someone mentioned Luongo mentoring the younger guys (whether it's Monty or Brossoit) and I'd love that... maybe he can be a goalie coach or something?

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Duncan Keith may be available, wonder what the price is
He's signed for four more years and has a NMC - could be a problem with the Seattle expansion draft. It's one thing to have to possibly juggle the roster to keep someone like Trouba - not a fan of doing that for Keith who'll be on the verge of 38 at the time.

(Reddit thinks when a player agrees to be traded despite his NMC, he can either waive it just that once or permanently. If we're talking permanently, then maybe, otherwise I'd stay away. Of course it's reddit so who knows how accurate that is...)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Is Bob really going to get that term though? We've seen how teams have become smarter during the past couple of years with contracts to guys that are on the wrong side of 30. Plus Bob is coming off a terrible season and performance always affects the player's next contract.

On top of that, which team can even offer him 7x7? Even Columbus is having their own struggles with capspace.

Canes (capspace & need, cheap owner and Darling's contract already as a burden)
Islanders (capspace & need)
Flyers (capspace & need, I really doubt it though lol)
Sens (cheap owner)
Hawks (capspace is a little tight, but Crawford could be retiring)
Wings (capspace & need, if Howard doesn't get signed)

I'd offer 5x5 and sell Bob on earning more with Florida taxes.

My guess would be nyi, avs, hawks, wings and us as the most likely contenders for bob. Flyers probably go with hart. Avs could lose varly (but then her might go to one of the above teams).

You make a good point that there isn't a super long list of teams, but I just think somebody who is desperate for goaltending will make a stupid move as is usually the case. If we can get bob for 5 years, I have no problem. It would be a smart gamble. I just doubt that happens.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I was also just thinking it's super unlikely for us to get bob and/or panarin right now because 1) we'd have to get into a bidding war, and 2) we would be chasing Columbus for that final playoff spot.

So the only way Columbus gives them up to us is if we pay some astronomical amount in assets.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Sooo it seems some here would take Lehner over Bobrovsky. I mean come on- the stats!

The more I read about people judging goalies by stats, the more obvious some things become.

Come on guys, you all watch the games, I know you do.

Is Bob not getting to the pucks because he's inadequate or because of a defensive disconnect? It doesn't matter? Then it's my strongest opinion that someone who thinks like that has a useless opinion.
Depending on terms and money yeah, Lehner could be a better choice for sure.

No need to be condescending.

What do you even mean by "getting to the pucks"? Why do you think he's getting beat so often? That'd be more interesting to hear than a useless opinion about useless opinion.

I think he's getting beat for the same reasons our team's goalies have been beaten. Extreme Matheson-like lapses in judgement from those in front of him, and the confidence shake that follows (that's a main cause for soft/shaky goals). Hard to focus on your part of this speedy game when the other members of your team are not.

If after all these years of watching this game, you would take Robin Lehner over Sergei Bobrovsky(at whatever price) to be your starting goalie, without consideration as to why the stats are the way they are, and add on to it by trying to say my opinion is useless all because I scoff at that(your?) useless opinion, then you deserve all the condescending statements you get.

If you were calling my opinion useless because your opinion applied to that which I called useless, and not because you find what I'm saying useless then I'm sorry, no sarcasm. I should probably just patiently explain things.

Look up Lou Lamiorello, or better- the stats of the goalies under the teams he's controlled.

What do I mean by 'NOT getting to the pucks', you mean? ..I mean not making the saves. Did I really have to explain that? Is it condescending to ask? What else could 'not getting to the pucks' mean?

@I am not exposed @letsgrowcactus. You guys think it doesn't matter whether or not a goalie's stats are a result of a goalie's inadequacy or defensive breakdowns? And that my opinion is useless because I think it does? Surprised at you on this one LGC.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
[...]
If after all these years of watching this game, you would take Robin Lehner over Sergei Bobrovsky(at whatever price) to be your starting goalie, without consideration as to why the stats are the way they are, and add on to it by trying to say my opinion is useless all because I scoff at that(your?) useless opinion, then you deserve all the condescending statements you get.
[...]
@I am not exposed @letsgrowcactus. You guys think it doesn't matter whether or not a goalie's stats are a result of a goalie's inadequacy or defensive breakdowns? And that my opinion is useless because I think it does? Surprised at you on this one LGC.
Of course it matters.
Where I disagree is going full-in on Bobrovski if he demands something like 8x8 or more.
Because yes, his stats took a nosedive this year while Korpisalo's improved. Because several goalies are struggling with the equipment changes, and I frankly don't watch Bob enough to tell if it's all on defence of if he is one of those struggling goalies. Because you keep telling us that Montembeault is just a year or two away from being this brilliant starter - but if we sign Bob, he'd either be stuck behind him for years, or we'd be paying crazy money to Bob to be our backup. Because I look at the Devils with Schneider or at Montreal with Price and I don't want to end up like those teams (at least Price is a good starter but should he really be paid 10+ mill per year?). Because Bob will turn 31 before the season starts. Because he has yet to show he can do well in the playoffs.

It's up to our scouts/GM to evaluate the situation - if they believe in Bob, then bring in Bob. However I wouldn't be mad if they went after a "lesser" option instead - a stopgap like Howard or Lehner, an unknown like Brossoit. Of course if Bob is willing to sign closer to Bishop money (something like 6x5, front-loaded), then this is a different conversation.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Of course it matters.
Where I disagree is going full-in on Bobrovski if he demands something like 8x8 or more.
Because yes, his stats took a nosedive this year while Korpisalo's improved. Because several goalies are struggling with the equipment changes, and I frankly don't watch Bob enough to tell if it's all on defence of if he is one of those struggling goalies. Because you keep telling us that Montembeault is just a year or two away from being this brilliant starter - but if we sign Bob, he'd either be stuck behind him for years, or we'd be paying crazy money to Bob to be our backup. Because I look at the Devils with Schneider or at Montreal with Price and I don't want to end up like those teams (at least Price is a good starter but should he really be paid 10+ mill per year?). Because Bob will turn 31 before the season starts. Because he has yet to show he can do well in the playoffs.

It's up to our scouts/GM to evaluate the situation - if they believe in Bob, then bring in Bob. However I wouldn't be mad if they went after a "lesser" option instead - a stopgap like Howard or Lehner, an unknown like Brossoit. Of course if Bob is willing to sign closer to Bishop money (something like 6x5, front-loaded), then this is a different conversation.
I'm meant better in general, not better for our team. To attack the stats as an adequate form of judgement towards a goalies...adequacy.

I agree with all the above, seeing as how I remember previously saying most of it myself. Entirely because of contract, not because I think his stats this year prove his inadequacy.

For our team, I'm fine with Reimer and Lu over Lehner. Especially because it leaves light at the end of the waiting for Monty tunnel.

@klabob if you mean that Lehner is better FOR OUR TEAM* than Bobrovsky, not that Lehner is more able than Bobrovsky, then I fully apologize for the misunderstanding.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think he's getting beat for the same reasons our team's goalies have been beaten. Extreme Matheson-like lapses in judgement from those in front of him, and the confidence shake that follows (that's a main cause for soft/shaky goals). Hard to focus on your part of this speedy game when the other members of your team are not.

If you were calling my opinion useless because your opinion applied to that which I called useless, and not because you find what I'm saying useless then I'm sorry, no sarcasm. I should probably just patiently explain things.

Look up Lou Lamiorello, or better- the stats of the goalies under the teams he's controlled.

What do I mean by 'NOT getting to the pucks', you mean? ..I mean not making the saves. Did I really have to explain that? Is it condescending to ask? What else could 'not getting to the pucks' mean?

Yes, I meant that (exaggeration incoming) Lehner at 1M is better for the team than Bob at 12M.

Not getting to the pucks could have meant that you think he slowed down in his movement and did not get to the puck in time. Something which has always been his strength. It could have been your reasoning has to why he is struggling so much. Then I would have disagreed with you since he's still very quick in his movement.
Imo, his problem is still (and has always been) his rebound control. So it's dependant on the defensemen being able to clear the front of the net. He is also getting beat on shots through him and that's worrisome.

I called your opinion useless because instead of explaining why you think that Bob will bounce back and why our defensive faults wouldn't lead to a similar level of problems for him, you just laughed it off.
You could have showed that Columbus is the worst team in the league in allowing rebounds shot. But then is it the defensemen's fault or is that on Bob?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Will be interesting to see if Tallon can move Brassard, Sheahan, Brouwer and Pysyk for picks at deadline.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Yes, I meant that (exaggeration incoming) Lehner at 1M is better for the team than Bob at 12M.

Not getting to the pucks could have meant that you think he slowed down in his movement and did not get to the puck in time. Something which has always been his strength. It could have been your reasoning has to why he is struggling so much. Then I would have disagreed with you since he's still very quick in his movement.
Imo, his problem is still (and has always been) his rebound control. So it's dependant on the defensemen being able to clear the front of the net. He is also getting beat on shots through him and that's worrisome.

I called your opinion useless because instead of explaining why you think that Bob will bounce back and why our defensive faults wouldn't lead to a similar level of problems for him, you just laughed it off.
You could have showed that Columbus is the worst team in the league in allowing rebounds shot. But then is it the defensemen's fault or is that on Bob?

No offense, you didn't even read thru or try to understand what little I typed that you called useless because it was too vague, why would I bother typing any more and all I usually type just to go ignored or misunderstood again?? Well fine, same reason I keep going to Panthers games and will continue to go, here ya go:

Please read this out loud to yourself, as this is now the 3rd time posting this sentence(question*) now: "Is Bob not getting to the pucks because he's inadequate or because of a defensive disconnect? It doesn't matter? Then it's my strongest opinion that someone who thinks like that has a useless opinion."

Judging by my usual rhetoric that I do usually type obviously too much to support, if you had to guess which of the two I'd pick(because against your implication, I didn't choose one) why would you think I think it's because Bob is inadequate all of a sudden? You disagreed with something I wouldn't and didn't say to try to turn the useless around on me?

I love Bobrovsky, my lack of enthusiasm to go after him was never about his Vezina caliber ability and I have said as much. I wear Montembeault's jersey to every game.

Try to understand why I find this kinda frustrating brotha...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad