TV: Lost

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
How does it feel to watch again when you already know what is going to happen?
I love it so much but I dont know if I could rewatch again, the mystery about not knowing what the heck was wrong on this island made the experience so much better
My favorite show ever

It's quite interesting. It's really cool seeing the polar bear in season one and knowing all about the Dharma initiative for example, and them outside of the hatch thinking it was the big mystery, but myself knowing that the hatch is only the first of many big events. It's very intruiging seeing it all from a completely different perspective.

Definitely all of the little things that you make a point of picking up on on the 2nd watch makes it all worth it. One in particular that kinda blew my mind was the shark that was hanging around the raft that attacked Sawyer and Michael had a Dharma logo on it, which is kinda neat. Never noticed that first time around.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lost is a great example of a show that if you pitch a mystery show you need to have a plan. I LOVED the first 3 seasons it worked so well. Then they had to keep pulling out of the ass. If you pitch a show about mystery like this you need a 5/6/7/8/whatever year outline. Then stick to it. It had some of the greatest setup ever but they kept delaying the ending then made it up on the fly to end it. Too bad. It's not that the later season were terrible, they were still good, but you could really feel them reaching for storylines which kinda pulled you out of it.

It's not a great example but you can look at Bablyon 5 the mid 90's sci-fi show that all 5 seasons planned out beforehand and then stuck to it rather than delay the ending even when the network wanted more. They even had "trapdoor" plans for actors exiting (which happened). It's just part of the game if you pitch an ambitious mystery/overarching storyline show like this. Battlestar Galactica is another example of a show that did the same thing and fell off as a result (again good all the way, just not great like early). Sometimes you get cancelled before you can play your story out (like Firefly or Jericho), get forced into changes (like Twin Peaks), or rarely forced to drag on too long (like X-Files) but you gotta stick to your guns.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Won't deny that. Loved the show though. Some nailed it already. Even an ending I didn't like doesn't change that.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It's not a great example but you can look at Bablyon 5 the mid 90's sci-fi show that all 5 seasons planned out beforehand and then stuck to it rather than delay the ending even when the network wanted more. They even had "trapdoor" plans for actors exiting (which happened). It's just part of the game if you pitch an ambitious mystery/overarching storyline show like this.

Not quite. JMS planned for 5 seasons. The pending demise of PTEN forced him to pull in almost all of the planned story arc into Season 4 - including filming the series finale. When TNT finally picked it up for the 5th and final season, they quickly produced a new Season 4 finale, kept the already filmed finale for the end of season 5, and filmed a bunch of new episodes with largely filler and new, not originally planned, story arcs. The series then ended after Season 5.

TNT also committed to three B5 movies when they picked up season 5 - and plans for a new spinoff series, Crusade. However after B5 didn't produce the ratings hoped for and TNT and JMS had creative conflicts over Crusade, it was cancelled after 13 episodes.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It was explained but I can't tell if you're being serious or making fun of the people that demand answers to everything (even if it's trivial). :laugh:

:laugh: definitely the latter. But it is like another poster said, the show wasn't planned well and it definitely showed.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I don't get why people don't include Season 4 in their favorites. Even though Season 3 was my favorite, there were monumental things that happened in S4... and it also had the best episode (The Constant) of the show, IMO.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
BRING IT BACK

BRING IT BACK

BRING IT BACK!

Ok, i'm done.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-28-at-12.54.39-PM.jpg

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't get why people don't include Season 4 in their favorites. Even though Season 3 was my favorite, there were monumental things that happened in S4... and it also had the best episode (The Constant) of the show, IMO.

I absolutely love season 4. Seasons 3.5 and 4 are by far my favorite parts of Lost.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
i finished my first watch of LOST a week or so ago, and I must say that I really loved it. All I had been hearing about was how it was a colossal waste of time and how the ending sucked. The people who told me the ending didn't even get it right! I will definitely be rewatching.

How do people feel about the final season 10 years removed from the finale?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
i finished my first watch of LOST a week or so ago, and I must say that I really loved it. All I had been hearing about was how it was a colossal waste of time and how the ending sucked. The people who told me the ending didn't even get it right! I will definitely be rewatching.

The finale aired 2010.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh

Yeah, the biggest bashers typically don't even understand what they are bashing.

I think the final season was the weakest season by far unfortunately, but I loved the finale. Wept like a baby.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Loved it on re-watching. Seeing how consistent some of the writing was fantastic. But bingefest also reveals unresolved questions, haha.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I brought this up with the last thread bump, but, with another show from this era (Prison Break) being brought back, are we that much closer to seeing Lost come back in some form?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I brought this up with the last thread bump, but, with another show from this era (Prison Break) being brought back, are we that much closer to seeing Lost come back in some form?

Please, Yes!! Even if it might not be as good as the original, anything truly LOSTesque would be better than most stuff on TV.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
While it's obviously unfair to do a mass generalization that people who didn't like the ending "didn't get it" - there was most definitely a very large portion of people who actually didn't get it. :laugh:

There are people who went through the whole series and actually still believe that the island was a ****ing purgatory. :facepalm:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
While it's obviously unfair to do a mass generalization that people who didn't like the ending "didn't get it" - there was most definitely a very large portion of people who actually didn't get it. :laugh:

There are people who went through the whole series and actually still believe that the island was a ****ing purgatory. :facepalm:

That's what I was told by literally everyone before I watched the show. I really don't understand how anyone could've possibly thought that, unless Netflix added scenes describing how it WASNT PURGATORY AND EVERYTHING HAPPENED

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's what I was told by literally everyone before I watched the show. I really don't understand how anyone could've possibly thought that, unless Netflix added scenes describing how it WASNT PURGATORY AND EVERYTHING HAPPENED

Question for you as you just completed a watch for the first time.

While there were obviously unanswered questions, were any of them important enough for you to actually freak out about not getting answered? Because there's a lot of that still from people who love to complain about the show and it always amuses me to no end.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Question for you as you just completed a watch for the first time.

While there were obviously unanswered questions, were any of them important enough for you to actually freak out about not getting answered? Because there's a lot of that still from people who love to complain about the show and it always amuses me to no end.

I had some questions that were left unanswered but none of them took away from the total theme of the show. I was more just fascinated by the mythology of the island and the characters were top notch. I guess the only thing I'd want answered would be the origins of Mother, and how the Romans that Jacob and MiB came from got to the island. Like I said, it doesn't take away from the story. I just find it interesting.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I cried during the ending sequence. I don't do that very often with TV shows.

One question I can also add is why didn't Ben go into the church with them at the end when they all moved on together? Also, was Michael still trapped on the island? Some of these things are probably answerable and I am just not as well versed on it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Always said I wish I could go back and watch LOST without having a clue what happened. I've forgotten a ton about the show and am thinking about doing a re-watch but I fear everything would come rushing back once I start watching again.

Interesting that those that have re-watched feels it holds up well, it always struck me as an experience that would lose its incredible impact upon repeat viewings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad