Lost in the insanity: Colin Miller

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
In two years this trade is going to look amazing. Lucic is a one year and done and we get Miller, that most people are really high on and the pick.

The Hamilton one, only if the hockey gods smile on us and a couple of those players turn into real impact players. Not holding my breathe on that one.

I actually think right now the Kings lost more in the trade. This trade was IMO a good one. I think Miller will pan out and likely settle in the 3/4 spot although maybe not right away. I think if Jones works out it will be fine but I think he is either a one year rental or we move Rask and give him the reigns. Looch just went to a cash strapped team-I'm not sure the Kings can re-sign him for what he wants so the Kings may have just given us their first, a valid back up goalie and a valid NHL defenseman (imo likely top 4 pairing) For what may be a one year rental for them.

Looch is looking to get paid and I strongly suspect he isn't re-signing with the Kings (I suspect he may go to Vancouver in free agency who I think will make room for the home town boy-fans may still be bitter over the cup but they will get over it).

Oh and I still hate the Dougie deal. Hate the return, wish they could have done more to get him re-signed but I think there was more to those negotiations than we know (and I don't buy the bad locker room rumor, although I can buy that Dougie wasn't happy here and wasn't interested in staying beyond he next contract).

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
I honestly have to say I'm most excited to see what C.Miller and Connolly can do with a full season, Miller on the bottom pairing with.... K.Miller and Connolly in a top 9 position (probably even top 6 now). I'm guessing something like 5/20/25 for C.Miller (mostly from PP) and maybe 15/25/40 from Connolly

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Anyone know if Miller has to clear waivers in order to be sent to Providence?
Same question for Morrow as well.
That could certainly factor into who makes the big club at the end of training camp.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
That could certainly factor into who makes the big club at the end of training camp.

pretty sure he's on a 2 way

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
pretty sure he's on a 2 way

2 way just dictates how much they make in the respective leagues.

Waivers are based mostly on games played. For 22 year olds it 70 games played.
Miller is at 0 and Morrow is at 15.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

It appears both Morrow and Miller are on their entry level contracts, which means that they can be sent down to Providence without having to clear waivers. Morrow is in his 4th year of his ELC because a year slides when a late birthday draftee (e.g. Morrow, Subban) comes out after one post-draft year in junior. Hence they can play 4 years in the AHL without having to clear waivers.

It was clear in a recent article that Sweeney likes Kevan Miller, and thinks the team missed him last year (I agree). That leaves one open D-slot, which will probably be Trotman. Cross may be the extra man.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
It appears both Morrow and Miller are on their entry level contracts, which means that they can be sent down to Providence without having to clear waivers. Morrow is in his 4th year of his ELC because a year slides when a late birthday draftee (e.g. Morrow, Subban) comes out after one post-draft year in junior. Hence they can play 4 years in the AHL without having to clear waivers.

It was clear in a recent article that Sweeney likes Kevan Miller, and thinks the team missed him last year (I agree). That leaves one open D-slot, which will probably be Trotman. Cross may be the extra man.

Miller and McQuaid are pretty redundant though. But it will have to do.

Chara - Trotman
Seidenberg - McQuaid
Krug - Miller

Morrow first call up

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I may be off base but LA had all kinds of trouble with their blue line last year for various reasons but what stands out to me is that Miller didn't get a sniff at the NHL level. Dean Lombardi is either very disciplined at leaving his AHL prospects alone or Miller wasn't even close to ready. I'm not counting on Miller for this year but I'm hopeful he becomes a good player for us.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I may be off base but LA had all kinds of trouble with their blue line last year for various reasons but what stands out to me is that Miller didn't get a sniff at the NHL level. Dean Lombardi is either very disciplined at leaving his AHL prospects alone or Miller wasn't even close to ready. I'm not counting on Miller for this year but I'm hopeful he becomes a good player for us.

I wouldn't count on him this year either, I bet he gets some call ups though. I thought LA was pretty set last year, Voynov aside. They didn't need him

Muzzin - Doughty
Sekera - Martinez
Greene - McBain/McNabb
Schultz

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

He was pretty high on Camera too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For a team that desperately needs more scoring/skating support from their D you'd hope C.Miller has one helluva pre season and plays with the Bruins next season.

We needed him with Hamilton in the lineup, now we desperately need him.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina

Thought it was interesting to note that not only did this defenseman win the fastest skater award at the AHL All-Star competition, but he also broke the record for hardest shot with a 105.5 MPH slapper.

If I remember correctly, Jonathon Girard also won both competitions.

...hope that's not a unlucky sign? :(

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That prospect profile from the Kings site was a good watch.

Kid isn't big but seems to have some nasty in his game. Plenty of clips in that video of him throwing dudes off the puck.

Really hope he can come in and be a player for us because we desperately need his skillset right now.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'm hoping for the second coming of JB55.

When he arrived in boston, he was a heralded AHLer, but no one thought he would climb the ladder as he did.

Miller won't throw the really bi hit as much, but his shot looks to be right there, and might get it off a bit quicker, and he is a better skater.

Not sure about the IQ yet.. but i'm hopeful

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
He was pretty high on Camera too.

Kevan Miller has been pretty effective in his brief stints in the NHL. It could be that he's getting sheltered minutes, it could be dumb luck, but whatever it is, not a lot of bad things happen when he is out there. I think he deserves the first shot at bottom pairing right side.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Kevan Miller has been pretty effective in his brief stints in the NHL. It could be that he's getting sheltered minutes, it could be dumb luck, but whatever it is, not a lot of bad things happen when he is out there. I think he deserves the first shot at bottom pairing right side.

I had very positive impressions of Kevan when he was in the big leagues. Hits like a truck, great fighter, seems to be capable in his own end and is actually surprisingly decent skater despite looking a bit awkward. Perfect 3rd pairing defenceman, especially for that cap hit.

Last edited:

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I hadn't realised he scored 52 points in the AHL last year. Damn son. Could Miller be a like-for-like Dougie replacement?

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I'm hoping for the second coming of JB55.

When he arrived in boston, he was a heralded AHLer, but no one thought he would climb the ladder as he did.

Miller won't throw the really bi hit as much, but his shot looks to be right there, and might get it off a bit quicker, and he is a better skater.

Not sure about the IQ yet.. but i'm hopeful

At the very least as a + skater, he should be able to replace the (good) element we lost with Bart, for all his warts, that kid could skate the puck out of trouble like nobody's business. Hopefully CM can do the same.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

KM seems like a perfect #6/7. Smart, safe and reliable. I thought he regressed a little bit last year, but hopefully it's just a blip.

HockeyValley

Nov 25, 2011
I saw him a couple times this year. (Go to a lot of AHL Sharks games)

Watching AHL games you can occasionally see people who just stand out. This year in October Pasternik was in a different gear than most of the other P-Bruins, he got called up soon after.

Miller definitely stood out to me in a good way, booming shot, gets in the offense responsibly and was omg fast. He tracked down a couple of breakaways on pure speed in one game I saw.

I was really really happy to see him as part of the deal.

I'm a Hershey Bears season ticket holder and I have to agree with this, spot on. Miller always stood out as that "Big fish, in a small pond" kind of thing when they played the Bears. Of course its a big leap from the AHL to the NHL in terms of speed, but I think its a very good pick up for the Bruins, not just a "has potential" prospect rather seems like a "has the tools and skills for the next level" kind of guy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I had very positive impressions of Kevan when he was in the big leagues. Hits like a truck, great fighter, seems to be capable in his own end and is actually surprisingly decent skater despite looking a bit awkward. Perfect 3rd pairing defenceman, especially for that cap hit.

And then they re-signed MQ ith 2M more, both are 3rd pairing D's and both can't be on the lineup at the same time regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad