Lost in the insanity: Colin Miller

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Becoming a top 4. He has all the tools and proved last yr he belongs. I'd much rather see him out there than signing one of the current FA available.

He's still very young as far as defenseman are considered. I can see him as a cornerstone top 4 defender for the Bruins within the next 2 yrs.

I'd like to see more of him, get a better read on his play.

Bartkowski had similar tools. It takes more than that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This thread is getting really off topic. Wrong Miller.

I think Colin will get a chance at the start of the season, and may find himself on the 2nd pairing, along with PP time

saw Manchester three, four? no idea but saw them in Providence and Manchester and never paid much attention to him. wish I knew:laugh:

He might be my biggest curiosity factor guy in TC

one thing I have gotten chatting is he's well thought of- thankfully we have HF Boards to come on and see him not getting a chance on many lineups:)

I wasn't sold on Marchand in the day before he had his breakout and I saw him a dozen times in Providence that year so going to give Colin Miller the benefit of the doubt he has some steak to his sizzling speed and shot

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You make it sound like fantasy league. Miller is only out with the 3rd line against the other team's 3rd line. It clearly doesn't work that way. Krug was the only Dman remotely close to Miller with +12. The only other defenseman with a plus was Morrow (+3). So for the half season Miller didn't play, who benefitted from playing with the 3rd line?

Isn't that about when people started complaining about Soderberg/3rd line for disappearing? So no one benefitted after.

Miller is solid, but he's nothing special. He doesn't have any real potential either.

Skates better than McQuaid, handles the puck like a grenade like McQuaid, slightly less 'tough' than McQuaid.

Sounds like a lateral swap for McQuaid, who we extended anyways.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As far as skating skills yes but Morrow has a great deal more of hockey Sense though.

I hope you are right, but man it sure seems like there are 2 very distinct and divergent opinions of his 15 games in Boston last year.

Some seem to believe he as you said "proved he belongs" and showed all the tools.

Some (myself included) seem to believed he played a tentative and timid game and really didn't show anything at the NHL level to make me expect more.

I am really intrigued to see Miller this year. Miller to me is a guy who has come to the AHL without the pedigree Morrow has, but he has torn apart the league the way Morrow was supposed to but hasnt.

So yeah I am much higher on Miller than Morrow.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
By Shawn Hutcheon:

"Colin Miller, who was brought in as part of the trade with the Los Angeles Kings that sent Milan Lucic to Southern California, is expected to be given every chance to crack the Bruins varsity after winning the American Hockey League's Calder Cup championship with Manchester, LA's now-former AHL affiliate."

Please use it and step up, this+ Carlo's great camp are one reason why I'm on the 1y vet signing train rather than getting a 2nd pairing D on a longterm contract.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I hope you are right, but man it sure seems like there are 2 very distinct and divergent opinions of his 15 games in Boston last year.

Some seem to believe he as you said "proved he belongs" and showed all the tools.

Some (myself included) seem to believed he played a tentative and timid game and really didn't show anything at the NHL level to make me expect more.

I am really intrigued to see Miller this year. Miller to me is a guy who has come to the AHL without the pedigree Morrow has, but he has torn apart the league the way Morrow was supposed to but hasnt.

As am I. everything I've read/heard about him has been positive. Seems like he has all the tools,I hope he can bring them to the next level.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Isn't that about when people started complaining about Soderberg/3rd line for disappearing? So no one benefitted after.

Miller is solid, but he's nothing special. He doesn't have any real potential either.

Skates better than McQuaid, handles the puck like a grenade like McQuaid, slightly less 'tough' than McQuaid.

Sounds like a lateral swap for McQuaid, who we extended anyways.

Don't see that at all.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I think that Julien told Morrow to play a conservative game and to focus on his defensive play, which is why he played the way he did during his short time with the team last season. The club already knows of his offensive talents, but wanted him to work on the other aspect of his game.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Don't see that at all.

Perhaps not that extreme, he is better with the puck than McQuaid/Stuart/Hnidy types, but he is no two way or puck moving type. I'm can't say I'm very comfortable with the idea of him having the puck on his stick. But we'll see with an ever increasing sample size.

Although, how big it'll get this season all depends on McQuaid's health and I'm sure Miller is gone after this bargain contract runs out.

trudatman*

should I be trying to figure out if you might be discussing Kevan in the Colin thread without differentiating or shall I assume you mean Colin in these remarks that seems to apply better to Kevan? anyway, I hope they keep both for the next few years, as they are both great players.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I was hoping the Rangers could somehow get this guy into the fold for awhile now, you guys got a good player. I think the the trades your team made will benefit the long term, excellent draft too.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
should I be trying to figure out if you might be discussing Kevan in the Colin thread without differentiating or shall I assume you mean Colin in these remarks that seems to apply better to Kevan? anyway, I hope they keep both for the next few years, as they are both great players.

We are talking about the non-offensive version of Miller. :)

Miller, I am curious about. I don't see him making the Bruins roster outright without first proving himself in Providence. I think he will bring offense to our 3rd pairing while Krug solidifies himself as a #4 this season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Agree and I think they are to

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Both fights this year in the same period:

Kings propaganda video, nasty is mentioned here.

http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=750000

He has to make the lineup, he just seems to have everything we are looking from our missing D player, elite shot, elite skating, hits&fights, replaces Chara on the pp and he'd bring life to our D group.
He seems to be build for our new style that we are going to see more of in 1-2years.

Forward group is looking much much more entertaining but as the D group sits now it looks lifeless, I want to see Pasta-Spooner-Krug-C.Miller flying on the ice.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
CIf Colin Miller has a superior training camp to Trotman & Kevan Miller (as I expect) and the Clod Julien keeps Trotman or KMiller at CMiller's expense,
then Sweeney might as well fire the Clod right then and there, because nothing would have changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad