Lost in the insanity: Colin Miller

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Thought it was interesting to note that not only did this defenseman win the fastest skater award at the AHL All-Star competition, but he also broke the record for hardest shot with a 105.5 MPH slapper.

This is a thread to talk about Miller. People who are familiar with him I would hope to chime in with some knowledge about a guy who may surprise his way on to the Bruins roster next season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dude has the credentials.

Won the AHL fastest skater competition, apparently possesses what many consider to be an elite shot at the NHL level already. HF has him pegged as shoddy defensively though and seem to believe he'll be nothing more than a poor man's Krug.

The key sentence in there though; Miller is in his second season with Kings' AHL affiliate Manchester in 2014-15 and has been among the league's biggest surprises

Sounds like this kid could turn heads.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/colin-miller/

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
He definitely has potential. I'm excited to see what he might bring. Pretty much the only thing about today that I'm excited about. Well besides Zboril, I actually like him a lot.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
As one of the links does note, Manchester won the AHL championship, and Miller was apparently great in the AHL playoffs.
It looks like he is a given to make the Bruins, and is Hamilton's replacement.

PS, just reading the Kings board earlier, a lot of posters there strongly disliked this trade because Miller was included.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
If you want a silver lining from today... between Miller, Zboril, and Morrow, we could have three fairly good-sized defensemen who can all skate and move the puck and all of whom are under 23 years of age.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He is definitely an interesting pick up with his physical gifts. The production last year stands out and the team desperately needs more shooters from the blue line.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If you want a silver lining from today... between Miller, Zboril, and Morrow, we could have three fairly good-sized defensemen who can all skate and move the puck and all of whom are under 23 years of age.

I really hope they give Morrow a legit shot this year.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So good he couldn't crack the LA Kings roster sans Voynov and missing the playoffs? Not going to buy into the hype until he proves otherwise.

Sweeney's track record is too poor already.

A lesser Krug, better Warsofsky.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So good he couldn't crack the LA Kings roster sans Voynov and missing the playoffs? Not going to buy into the hype until he proves otherwise.

I suggest reading the post I linked to above from people who know about him better than we do.

Miller not making the Kings roster is not a reflection on him as a player or his future.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

You say Krug, but Krug is likely the smarter and more decisive player.

Miller however is faster, bigger and pretty physical... not to mention his cannon from the point.

These are the assumptions I make based on what I've read about Miller compared to what I've seen from Krug.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI

track record? Nobody has played a game yet

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The thought of Krug setting this guy up from the point on the PP is pretty tasty.

With the age and, ahem, lack of footspeed of our older D, his defensive liabilities are a worry, but he seems to have a high upside and bring the speed that this team sorely lacks.

Looks like ...
Chara - Trotman (I like Trotman, but is he ready to be a top-pairing guy?)
Morrow - Seidenberg (a skilled, young PMD with some defensive questions marks and a what used to be a good shutdown player pre-injury, but was awful last year)
Krug - McQuaid/KMiller (another skilled, young PMD and a slow "muscle guy" or a slow "muscle guy" making $2MM less ... oh, and the bottom pairing is eating $6MM of cap)
CMiller (a skilled, fast PMD who is a liability with defensive question marks)

Someone from this group is going to have to go - reading the tea leaves, it's likely going to be Kevan Miller or they'll use Colin Miller as a trade chip.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
How the mighty have fallen. We're excited about a guy who made noise in an AHL skills competition, is 22 and hasn't played a single game in the NHL.

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
Should get the chance to develop in NHL next year in a weakened lineup. Wasn't a throw-in and certainly has potential to be the first of the assets obtained to shine. By itself, thought Lucic deal wasn't a bad one; problem comes with rest of what happened.

HanktheHammer*

I see another Johnny Boychuk in Colin Miller, but with an explosive stride in his skates. He will beat out the other Miller for 7th d-man by the looks of it.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
MMB put forth an effort to find a positive chip and I like to read new information about players.

No one's hit the ice yet... Sometimes energy gels and it's unexpected.

If Miller is really that fast then we can bring him along quickly and hopefully he'll be an effective part of the roster sooner rather than later.

We all want change, the most painful part is stepping outside the paradigm to let that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
52 points in 70 AHL games last season, not too shabby.

I mean it's not 42 points in 72 NHL games but honestly how many 22 year old defenseman can do that

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
But can he play defense? So far the Bruins have two all the tools defenseman both with knocks on defense and decision making. Usually smarts wins out and we have a coach that will not stand for defensive mistakes too. Boy this is going to be interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad