Lost in the insanity: Colin Miller

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
The Bruins haven't drafted well, but they have shown the ability to identify late-in-development, NHL-ready defensemen (Boychuk, McQuaid and K.Miller).

Hopefully C. Miller can join the above names.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I saw him a couple times this year. (Go to a lot of AHL Sharks games)

Watching AHL games you can occasionally see people who just stand out. This year in October Pasternik was in a different gear than most of the other P-Bruins, he got called up soon after.

Miller definitely stood out to me in a good way, booming shot, gets in the offense responsibly and was omg fast. He tracked down a couple of breakaways on pure speed in one game I saw.

I was really really happy to see him as part of the deal.

I would not want to equate him to Hamilton (cause you guys would probably kill) me but I think he definitely a big threat for a starting lineup spot.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
So good he couldn't crack the LA Kings roster sans Voynov and missing the playoffs? Not going to buy into the hype until he proves otherwise.

Sweeney's track record is too poor already.

A lesser Krug, better Warsofsky.
Easy there on the Krug / Warsofsky reference, the only difference is Krug got a chance and Warsofsky has not. At 3.25 million for Krug he isn't that much better than Warsofsky's 800K.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How the mighty have fallen. We're excited about a guy who made noise in an AHL skills competition, is 22 and hasn't played a single game in the NHL.

Can't be optimistic about prospects guys, the almighty Daishi has spoken.

Miller is very intriguing. Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
How the mighty have fallen. We're excited about a guy who made noise in an AHL skills competition, is 22 and hasn't played a single game in the NHL.

Johnny boychuk was once an unknown until he exploded in the AHL. there isn't just one path to the NHL.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Check out the LA Kings board and see their reaction of the trade. They were happy until they heard about Miller being part of the deal then all hell broke out.

Lets wait until he attends some of the Bruins camp stuff, I'm excited for him.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Can't be optimistic about prospects guys, the almighty Daishi has spoken.

Miller is very intriguing. Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

Well excuse me but people don't become future NHL stars just because they get traded to the Bruins. There's a reason this guy hasn't seen a glimpse of NHL action. He's either not ready to play now (on any defensive pairing) or he never will be.

I, being as almighty as I am thanks to you, consider him Joe Morrow, except without the NHL experience.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Well excuse me but people don't become future NHL stars just because they get traded to the Bruins. There's a reason this guy hasn't seen a glimpse of NHL action. He's either not ready to play now (on any defensive pairing) or he never will be.

I, being as almighty as I am thanks to you, consider him Joe Morrow, except without the NHL experience.

Than why even bother drafting people or getting upset about picks? They have never played a minute in the NHL either :naughty:

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Johnny boychuk was once an unknown until he exploded in the AHL. there isn't just one path to the NHL.

Wasn't Colorado even playing Johnny at wing when we traded for him? It was either him or Quaider in Columbus. Point is, he's young and needs to be taught better positioning in the D zone, same as Johnny did when he went to Providence. Some get it (Boychuk), some don't (Bart). But the Bruins have a chance with him and if he can figure it out defensively, we have a fast skating, booming shot RD.What's wrong about that?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Than why even bother drafting people or getting upset about picks? They have never played a minute in the NHL either :naughty:

:laugh:

Pretty much.

Nobody is anointing him to be a star Daishi. People are just intrigued by a guy with a lot of tools. But whatever, you can bicker with the invisible ppl in your head who are proclaiming him to be the next Bobby Orr.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
A lot of 22 year olds aren't NHL ready-especially Dmen.

I think there is often a push for OHL prospects to head straight to the NHL while most really need a year or two or three in the AHL.

This kid actually sounds like a Johnny Boychuk type but smaller and a better skater-so I think upside is he owns out into a mid pair/top pair Dman. If he's a bust, he's a bust, but I think this is a good pick up as part of the Lucic package.

trudatman*

I can't be the only one who is very happy with the moves made by the Bruins. as much as I was surprised they didn't figure out a contract with Hamilton, I won't really miss him. sure, he'll be a star for a decade elsewhere, but the Bruins staff (and many of the fans) know what he is now and what his progression, if any, has been. I never really like him.

Marty Jones, however, I have liked quite a lot. I'm not surprised he was wanted. he's been not seeing a lot of games as the backup, but when he does play, he does it at a just-under-Rask level. it's like having Thomas and Rask together again in that there are now two goalies who can be relied on. the Bruins have been lucky to have backups capable of Jones' .923, but they didn't have one of those ready for this season, that's for sure. I am very happy with this move.

what a bonus Miller looks to be! I already love me some Kevan Miller and I'm huge on Morrow. wrapping up McQuaid was key. I think losing that "top" line of Chara/Hamilton or that porous excuse for a second pairing in Seidenberg/Hamilton is going to help this defense right away. it was evident that Krug has worked on being an actual defenseman, but I'm not so sure Hamilton will ever achieve that goal. it really seems like the new Miller has the tools and the box. here's hoping he maintains as a plus if/when he gets his shot as a Bruin.

it surely is sad to be missing Lucic, but I've gotten used to that feeling over the last two seasons. retaining salary is not preferable, but overall I like these trades. the collection of early picks is probably a great thing, but I don't know enough about the selections to be sure it worked, yet. on paper, that was a scary but exciting trading day. in the very real terms, the Bruins gave up some current talent for a lot of futures that look to be promising and a solid goaltender that can surely cover while Rask needs days off.

with those major moves, I'm not sure why no effort was made to retain Soderberg. maybe his lack of effort once his agent broke it down for him that the bruins seemed to have no interest in prioritizing his return was a deal sealer, but he sure exploded into the NHL like a fabled rare upright beast. I hope he does well elsewhere and I regret that he's not sticking around to fight for a center spot. I would have preferred moving on from Krejci and moving everybody else up, but I don't think this move was bad, even though the piece received is almost surely a nonentity.

my current hopes:

MAR/BER/CON
ERI/KRE/SMI
KEL/SPO/PAS
FLO(CAM)/TAL/FER(ROB)
CHA/kMIL(cMIL)
MOR/SEI(TRO)
KRU(WAR)/MCQ
RAS(JON)

what a camp this one will be! so much different from the last few. the only intact forward line is Bergy's and I want to get Smith away from him ASAFP.

quoting the doge: "what move, such trade!"

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Couple decent highlights here.

A nice hit early one.

A couple goals. A one-timer and another wrister from the point.

Kids got a rocket though.

Hopefully if he makes the team next year Claude is smart enough to use him of the left-side point on the PP and let him tee-up that vicious one-time slapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBGinbRtvE

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Couple decent highlights here.

A nice hit early one.

A couple goals. A one-timer and another wrister from the point.

Kids got a rocket though.

Hopefully if he makes the team next year Claude is smart enough to use him of the left-side point on the PP and let him tee-up that vicious one-time slapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBGinbRtvE

I'd much rather watch it with play by play than some super generic metal song that sounds like it came off of a Red Alert soundtrack. I love hearing the excitement

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I can't be the only one who is very happy with the moves made by the Bruins. "

Some Edmonton fans were happy with the trade of Gretzky to LA way back when. I read the reactions from fans in news papers, "restock the cupboard", "This will make us a great team now and in the future", "Picks prospects blah blah blah"

Here is a tip, when you find yourself overwhelmingly on the wrong side of the argument regarding a hockey trade, chances are you are wrong and remember that little story I just told.

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
Some Edmonton fans were happy with the trade of Gretzky to LA way back when. I read the reactions from fans in news papers, "restock the cupboard", "This will make us a great team now and in the future", "Picks prospects blah blah blah"

Here is a tip, when you find yourself overwhelmingly on the wrong side of the argument regarding a hockey trade, chances are you are wrong and remember that little story I just told.

Cups After Gretzky Trade:

Edmonton - 1
L.A. - 0

Depends what your definition of success is I guess...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad