Lost in the insanity: Colin Miller

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Is he gonna get a shot this year out of training camp to be on the bottom pairing for the Bruins? Feeling I'm getting is that he needs one more year in the AHL, Personally I hope he gets a shot because he' can't be anyworse than Miller or Trotman or Morrow.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Is he gonna get a shot this year out of training camp to be on the bottom pairing for the Bruins? Feeling I'm getting is that he needs one more year in the AHL, Personally I hope he gets a shot because he' can't be anyworse than Miller or Trotman or Morrow.

I don't know where all the hate on Kevan Miller comes from. He had a massive +20 on a weak Bruins team last year, and he plays a real hard, physical style. People just get it in their heads that a guy is a scrub and they won't ever change their minds regardless of evidence.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't know where all the hate on Kevan Miller comes from. He had a massive +20 on a weak Bruins team last year, and he plays a real hard, physical style. People just get it in their heads that a guy is a scrub and they won't ever change their minds regardless of evidence.

Glad you said it, I'm tired of bringing it up.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Sounds like a bigger bodied and meaner Krug. Krug survives in his own end and if Miller can do the same maybe he can be an exciting player.

We have alot of unknowns for the young guys on the back end. I just hope they get their chances. Not every player bursts onto the scene a la Krug. And some take time like Boychuk.

Miller, Morrow, Trotman. I wouldn't mind giving each one a fair chunk of games to see what they have. Maybe the competition will really give them motivation and some step up to the challenge.

We know what Kevin Miller is. I don't see his ceiling as much higher than a 5th Dman. We have larger holes that need to be plugged and figured out.

I seem to be the only fan of Morrow. I think he can eventually be a solid #4 defenseman with both offensive and defensive skills. It seems like so many of these other guys are very one sided.

This uncertainty is uncomfortable but also makes me want to watch unlike alot of the snoozefests last year

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Because we re-signed McQuaid, both of them are 3rd pairing D's and should be 3rd pairing D's.

Seidenberg-McQuaid-K.Miller RD side doesn't scream success to me.
None of them have strong passing skills, none of them can skate the puck from the D-zone, none of them can be key PP guys, how would that group handle Tampas checking, who's going to win the puck race? Things that were/are already lagging, assets that Sweeney wants to add.

Chara-Seidenberg
Krug-McQuaid
Irwin-K.Miller is not pretty.

It's more of that he doesn't have a spot right now, we have K.Miller players but we don't have C.Miller players.

I loved reading that C.Miller has that same kind of feeling as Doughty when he is on the ice and he is a strong puck movers(pp guy who creates opportunities on every shift.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Sounds like a bigger bodied and meaner Krug. Krug survives in his own end and if Miller can do the same maybe he can be an exciting player.

We have alot of unknowns for the young guys on the back end. I just hope they get their chances. Not every player bursts onto the scene a la Krug. And some take time like Boychuk.

Miller, Morrow, Trotman. I wouldn't mind giving each one a fair chunk of games to see what they have. Maybe the competition will really give them motivation and some step up to the challenge.

We know what Kevin Miller is. I don't see his ceiling as much higher than a 5th Dman. We have larger holes that need to be plugged and figured out.

I seem to be the only fan of Morrow. I think he can eventually be a solid #4 defenseman with both offensive and defensive skills. It seems like so many of these other guys are very one sided.

This uncertainty is uncomfortable but also makes me want to watch unlike alot of the snoozefests last year

I'm with you on this. I like Morrow and think that, if given a proper chance, he will do very well. I hope that Boston, in particular Julien, gives him an opportunity to play regularly—and to show his offensive instincts.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I don't hate the guy. Was injured for most of the season so we kind of forget about him. +20 was impressive. At 800k, he's the perfect bottom pairing/7th D.

Still, when I think of him, all I see is his awful showing in the Habs series in 13-14 and his abysmal giveaway early in game 6 that gave the Habs a 1-0 lead, life and momentum...

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I appreciate his toughness and physical play, but to me he is a poor mans Adam McQuaid. I see him as a 7th Dman.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't hate the guy. Was injured for most of the season so we kind of forget about him. +20 was impressive. At 800k, he's the perfect bottom pairing/7th D.

Still, when I think of him, all I see is his awful showing in the Habs series in 13-14 and his abysmal giveaway early in game 6 that gave the Habs a 1-0 lead, life and momentum...

He pretty much has zero NHL experience, and he was up against one of the fasted, most talented teams in the East, so I can definitely look past that.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013

Miller lost game 6 on his own. I cannot forgive him for that.

What on EARTH does Kevan Miller bring to the table?

Skating - Nope
Offense - Nope
Shooting - Nope
Breakout pass - Nope
Physicality - Yes
Overall defensive instincts - Average
Workout warrior - Absolutely

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Miller lost game 6 on his own. I cannot forgive him for that.

What on EARTH does Kevan Miller bring to the table?

Skating - Nope
Offense - Nope
Shooting - Nope
Breakout pass - Nope
Physicality - Yes
Overall defensive instincts - Average
Workout warrior - Absolutely

The 4-0 game, Miller lost on his own? Not even close to true.

You paint a picture of a guy that has no place in an NHL lineup. Yet he was +20 on a mediocre team, playing mostly with Krug and before he was injured he was playing top pair PK minutes. +20 is just that, on the ice for 20 more goals scored than goals allowed (in half a season). On last year's Bruins. That's an accomplishment. That's what he brought to the table.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The 4-0 game, Miller lost on his own? Not even close to true.

You paint a picture of a guy that has no place in an NHL lineup. Yet he was +20 on a mediocre team, playing mostly with Krug and before he was injured he was playing top pair PK minutes. +20 is just that, on the ice for 20 more goals scored than goals allowed (in half a season). On last year's Bruins. That's an accomplishment. That's what he brought to the table.

It means our 3rd line was better than the other team's 3rd line. How did Eriksson and Soderberg do last season? Miller only managed, 7?, points even so.

He is what he is, dime a dozen bottom tier stay at home defenseman. Only here because of his salary and I bet as soon as he wants more next season he is gone.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

Kevan Miller had two years in a row with a +20 Julien really likes him he will get his ice time.
And he's a much better skater than McQuaid.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
But he is a Brooons type player!

Said sarcastically...but is all about the current reality. The most accurate and critical thing said on this page.

I can't see the DS regime being anything but very content with K. Miller...especially for 800k.

They view him as a physical defenseman. That's it. And they love it.

I'm sure they're still drooling about Miller like what we saw on Behind the B. Lock'em up!

I don't view either K. Miller or Krug as anything but the perfect fit for the third d-pair.

Anyone who doesn't think McQuaid is on the second d-pair, isn't comprehending current events.

That leaves Irwin. There you go. I can understand why people aren't thrilled...you don't have to like it, but you have to accept reality.

There aren't going to be two guys that you just go, "bam...there are our 3 and 4 defensemen."

This is what we have.

It's either Irwin or Krug with McQuaid. Unless they want to get cute with Trotman on the top pair...please, no..

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
This thread is getting really off topic. Wrong Miller.

I think Colin will get a chance at the start of the season, and may find himself on the 2nd pairing, along with PP time

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It means our 3rd line was better than the other team's 3rd line. How did Eriksson and Soderberg do last season? Miller only managed, 7?, points even so.

He is what he is, dime a dozen bottom tier stay at home defenseman. Only here because of his salary and I bet as soon as he wants more next season he is gone.

You make it sound like fantasy league. Miller is only out with the 3rd line against the other team's 3rd line. It clearly doesn't work that way. Krug was the only Dman remotely close to Miller with +12. The only other defenseman with a plus was Morrow (+3). So for the half season Miller didn't play, who benefitted from playing with the 3rd line?

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

You are way undervaluing Joe morrow he has a real legitimate shot at becoming a top 4.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Morrow has only played 15 NHL games. That's a big jump to top 4.

Seems he's been hurt most of the time he's been here, also.

I don't think top4 right away but he could play there at some point during the season,
but if Irwin starts over Morrow on the 3rd pairing then I think the time is running out on Morrow, Grzelcyk/O'Gara can get a shot in the lineup when their season is over, and if they get their chance I don't think Morrow has a future here, Zboril will start to push into lineup after next season.
It's his time to shine in the pre season.

I hope C.Miller earns a spot, love reading about him, him having the same kind of feeling as Doughty has when he is on the ice, elite shot and elite skating puck mover who can truly move the puck and be dangerous, his PP skills have gotten a lot better and creates ton of chances with his shot, would be geat for limiting Chara's minutes.

I hope C.Miller starts on the 2nd/3rd pairing and has great 15-20 games and gets lifted to 1st/2nd pairing so our pairings would work better.
Chara-C.Miller
Krug-Seidenberg
Morrow-McQuaid
without addings.

Also if they want to get a 1y vet like Haggs said, Zidlickly for example then C.Miller could play on the 2nd pairing and get ready for potential 1st pairing role for 2016-, Zid gone and potentially Carlo steps into C.Millers spot. Seids should be a great partner for C.Miller in his rookie year.

Chara-Zid
Seidenberg-C.Miller
Krug-McQuaid

Last edited:

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Morrow has only played 15 NHL games. That's a big jump to top 4.

Seems he's been hurt most of the time he's been here, also.

Becoming a top 4. He has all the tools and proved last yr he belongs. I'd much rather see him out there than signing one of the current FA available.

He's still very young as far as defenseman are considered. I can see him as a cornerstone top 4 defender for the Bruins within the next 2 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad