Losing mentality sunk in deep.

Sloth Slothersons*

If I was Hall, I would've "MacT gif'd" into the locker room after yesterday's game and told everyone to smarten up.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
pts or not he's -6 and his been owned on the year.

Got his lunch money stolen last night as well. By players that he ought to be better than.

Hemsky -8 - cost us a game all by himself
J.Schulz -7 : responsible for many goals against
RNH -9 : untimely giveaways costing us a couple goals against (League worst +\-)

Its not one man sucking.. This team has much bigger issues and many "leaders" are involved.

Ference's untimely penalties and defensive plays have cost us games too..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
still... leading the team in scoring and still is going at PPG pace..
if he has another "outlier 8 seconds" he would be 2nd in NHL in scoring.

Not saying that he has been great but he isnt THE issue on this team.

Isn't he part of it?

Star players should help clubs win games. Last night is a case in point in this regard. One teams star players getting the result, the other club walking out empty handed again. AT some point you only run as your stars are taking you. Right now Hall is even taking us to holding his own. Which is a significant part of the problem.

One of the problems on this club is theres actually arguably too many stars and this affords them to look towards others to get it done. No such luxury with the islanders.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Because the losing doesn't REALLY suck.

A team that keeps stating it hates losing that keeps losing and admits to coming out in multiple games flat. We're 8 games into the season and we're seeing a club coming out flat already.

You know that boredom and dread people have started to develop watching these performances? Looks like some of the players have it to.

I don't buy that this losing gig is all that hard. They're making it look easy..

Interesting narrative. I don't buy it for a second.

Either way I don't see why this should have it's own thread. Can't it go in one of the other 417 complaining about stuff?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Interesting narrative. I don't buy it for a second.

Either way I don't see why this should have it's own thread. Can't it go in one of the other 417 complaining about stuff?

You think Eberle is really busted up over any of this? or J Schultz, or Hall? They have the best gigs in the world and know it.

I'm starting to question whether all the players on this club even WANT to make the playoffs. Might interfere with leisure time on the beach.

heh, I'm starting to remember why I never start threads anymore. this back and forth takes time. lol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Isn't he part of it?

Star players should help clubs win games. Last night is a case in point in this regard. One teams star players getting the result, the other club walking out empty handed again. AT some point you only run as your stars are taking you. Right now Hall is even taking us to holding his own. Which is a significant part of the problem.

One of the problems on this club is theres actually arguably too many stars and this affords them to look towards others to get it done. No such luxury with the islanders.

Isles were 2-4 and we were 1-5 .. Ovy's team was 1-4 when they played us...
Unlike the other 2, Hall is not the captain .. He is only 1 pt back of both tavares and Ovy in scoring.
Sorry but I just dont see the point of this thread..

The guy said it sucks to lose and ppl have issues... I guess he shouldve said he doesnt mind losing..

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You think Eberle is really busted up over any of this? or J Schultz, or Hall? They have the best gigs in the world and know it.

I'm starting to question whether all the players on this club even WANT to make the playoffs. Might interfere with leisure time on the beach.

heh, I'm starting to remember why I never start threads anymore. this back and forth takes time. lol

I 100% think the players hate this. They have been competing at the highest levels their lives. To think otherwise demonstrates what appears to be a complete lack of understanding of human nature.

However, you can create whatever storyline you feel you must to get through this difficult time as a fan. If people want to believe that the team has been infested with alien bodies and are bringing about an evil plan to take over Sherwood Park and that's a way of coping with the losing then they can have at it.

I just don't see why we need yet another thread on conspiracy theories and psychological analysis of players based on their media scrums.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
i know quite a number of KHL players. many of them (even some widely considered stars in this league) aren't that high on winning. most don't watch any hockey, don't think much about other teams or players. i've heard some outright stating that one has had a career once set money-wise.

there really are people that don't have much fight in them, nor they aspire to being the best. some just have it as a given. i may be terribly off with my point as i don't know squat about Canadian players' mentality, but i think that people are much alike all over the world. you need to be a special combination of talent and ambition to become a perennial star, but you can become just a star, being blessed with only one of those.

there really are players who don't care about winning. i'm not implying that's the case with our young guns as i don't know any of them in person, but i'll go as far as saying there is a chance.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Isles were 2-4 and we were 1-5 .. Ovy's team was 1-4 when they played us...
Unlike the other 2, Hall is not the captain .. He is only 1 pt back of both tavares and Ovy in scoring.
Sorry but I just dont see the point of this thread..

The guy said it sucks to lose and ppl have issues... I guess he shouldve said he doesnt mind losing..

Actions speak louder than words. (contextual irony noted given this thread is mostly about words..:laugh:)

Last night is the first game that Hall has even put his signature play on a game. First one. Not that he sustained it by any means..

These are bit efforts were seeing from a guy that should be pushing 30 or 40 goal years imo.

I have high expectations, which means I value what the player CAN bring. I question how consistent the fire is. This guy should rarely be out of the topten in scoring.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I know the loser mentality has set in with me.

I honestly feel like no matter what we do it will be the wrong move.

Trade Yakupov.. he blossoms on some other team and outscores all our players by a mile.

Keep him.. He becomes the worst 1st overall since Stefan.

We're like the Charlie Brown of the NHL.

We could trade Mitch Moroz for Shea Weber straight up and then watch Weber suffer injury and deteriorate to a shell of the player he is. While watching Moroz blossom into the next insanely effective power forward.

I don't know the answers. I don't know who to blame anymore.
I think it's just easier to say we're cursed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I 100% think the players hate this. They have been competing at the highest levels their lives. To think otherwise demonstrates what appears to be a complete lack of understanding of human nature.

However, you can create whatever storyline you feel you must to get through this difficult time as a fan. If people want to believe that the team has been infested with alien bodies and are bringing about an evil plan to take over Sherwood Park and that's a way of coping with the losing then they can have at it.

I just don't see why we need yet another thread on conspiracy theories and psychological analysis of players based on their media scrums.

I could talk about human nature and motivational theory all day. Trust me.

Giving the whole bag of carrots out BEFORE much of anything has been accomplished contrasts greatly with several motivation theories, just saying. :D

Part of human nature is getting comfortable when you've "Arrived" as a "Made man"

I could include Dubnyk in this conversation motivationally speaking.

Players before like Hemsky and Horcoff fell into the same motivational mouse trap. Have great contracts, stop sweating the small stuff"

I find it a little odd that I'm hiliting something that has been very obvious in contractual entitlement within this org.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i don't think losing is setting in amongst the players, it's just that they aren't that good. when they trade some of the danglers for real NHLers, they'll be fine.

in management, however, that is a different story. they seem rather content to just right-off another year.

can't wait for the basketball. GO THUNDER!!!! GO KANSAS STATE!!!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i know quite a number of KHL players. many of them (even some widely considered stars in this league) aren't that high on winning. most don't watch any hockey, don't think much about other teams or players. i've heard some outright stating that one has had a career once set money-wise.

there really are people that don't have much fight in them, nor they aspire to being the best. some just have it as a given. i may be terribly off with my point as i don't know squat about Canadian players' mentality, but i think that people are much alike all over the world. you need to be a special combination of talent and ambition to become a perennial star, but you can become just a star, being blessed with only one of those.

there really are players who don't care about winning. i'm not implying that's the case with our young guns as i don't know any of them in person, but i'll go as far as saying there is a chance.

If you keep saying stuff like this Yak is going to get it again.. ;)

jk aside one of the real problems for many entertainers is that they become "stars" in present day and age before accomplishing any commensurate worthwhile work. Which leads to a Lady Gaga type universe..

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Bit of a pathetic thread.

All I will say is actions speak louder than words and from Replacement's comments it would appear all he has done so far is look at the standings and read (not even listen where you might actually get some context as opposed to the media filter on the written word) the post game interviews and not watch a single game.

I was at the game last night, I was 30 feet from where Hall scored those goals. I watched the effort all night and about the only ones who looked like they did not care were the ones who should be battling for that big contract, JShultz and Yakupov (the friggin' Ice Girls skated harder than Nail last night and I am a fan of his but if I were Hall I would take him aside ala Messier and tell him that if he does not start working a bit harder he will have his teammates respect to worry about and not just the coach's).

But sure, like was said above, let's just go back to cliches and not worry about what they really think. I am certain Hall is not "ok" with losing and I guarantee you he works as hard at his job as anyone on these boards and a lot harder than most.

Speaking of Messier, how do you think Eakins feels having Mark Messier watching him from the team box? Messier left NYR because he knew he was not going to get the coaching job, maybe Mark should go down and have a little word with him about winning.:sarcasm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

All I will say is actions speak louder than words and from Replacement's comments it would appear all he has done so far is look at the standings and read (not even listen where you might actually get some context as opposed to the media filter on the written word) the post game interviews and not watch a single game.

I was at the game last night, I was 30 feet from where Hall scored those goals. I watched the effort all night and about the only ones who looked like they did not care were the ones who should be battling for that big contract, JShultz and Yakupov (the friggin' Ice Girls skated harder than Nail last night and I am a fan of his but if I were Hall I would take him aside ala Messier and tell him that if he does not start working a bit harder he will have his teammates respect to worry about and not just the coach's).

But sure, like was said above, let's just go back to cliches and not worry about what they really think. I am certain Hall is not "ok" with losing and I guarantee you he works as hard at his job as anyone on these boards and a lot harder than most.

Speaking of Messier, how do you think Eakins feels having Mark Messier watching him from the team box? Messier left NYR because he knew he was not going to get the coaching job, maybe Mark should go down and have a little word with him about winning.:sarcasm:

Unfortunately I've watched every single game, every countless minute..

Well, you were there so I'll have to take your word that the team looked like it cared a lot about this game. What I saw translated on hdtv screen was the most lacklustre effort of the year and the game where the least amount of players looked to be bringing it. Indeed even from comments of players the team "came out flat".

Watching this game was like trying to take a swig out of a week old bottle of warm cola. My condolences you had to pay admission to see this disgusting performance. From a club that "hates" losing but whose performance suggests they're perfectly fine with it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Some guys can look at a white t-shirt and see a black one. Nothing you can do about it

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

I'm just surprised that someone could take something like that and pretend to be a psychologist.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

The bold may not mean much but it is the direct opposite of Hall.. Hall breaths hockey and has a lot of knowledge about who is playing how in what team... I just dont get the bashing and questioning one's character \ leadership \ passion based on one post game interview.

You want Hall to be a top 10 scorer in the league... Well that crossbar he it.. if that went in he would have been one.
It went in for Tavares and he is one instead.

If you want to bash for his turn overs. fine... if its for his lack of finish.. sure..
but to create a thread to bash his character is not fair to him.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Unfortunately I've watched every single game, every countless minute..

Well, you were there so I'll have to take your word that the team looked like it cared a lot about this game. What I saw translated on hdtv screen was the most lacklustre effort of the year and the game where the least amount of players looked to be bringing it. Indeed even from comments of players the team "came out flat".

Watching this game was like trying to take a swig out of a week old bottle of warm cola. My condolences you had to pay admission to see this disgusting performance. From a club that "hates" losing but whose performance suggests they're perfectly fine with it.

Kinda funny about paying to go. When I go see the Oilers around here I always go to Long Island because the tickets are so cheap, having said that now the team is doing better the seats are not as cheap as they used to be. Last time i went each seat cost $32 and included a hot dog, a drink, beer if you were old enough and parking. Now you just get the seat for $32. I was sitting 5 rows up from ice level in the corner, same seats I always get, they are very good. Gene was standing right next to us. That has got to be one of the cheapest tickets in the league. At MSG those seats would cost $250 each.....

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm just surprised that someone could take something like that and pretend to be a psychologist.

Reading statements and reprinting them for display for all to see is playing "psychologist"

Its fine if you don't think theres anything to see here. So why click on the thread then?

What is your opinion on the team?

Contribute.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps your barking up the wrong tree here. If there is indeed a culture of loosing and the kids are getting complacent maybe you guys should look to the top i.e. Lowe and company. It seems to me that you guys are trying to instill a cultural change at only one level of your organization by bringing in new players, coaching etc... but how effective can that actually be when you still have the guys largely responsible for the mess running the org. Until these guys are shipped out I don't see you guys turning it around. What incentive is there for the players etc when they see that there is no accountability at the top.

It also strikes me that good organizations would have dealt internally with the things that you constantly ridicule Hall about. I know we had a similar issue a couple of years ago with Kane, but it was dealt with swiftly by management and ownership and he has really grown into a model pro and leader since then. If the players aren't acting as professionally as you'd like than perhaps the org isn't providing them with the proper guidance and support to turn into the pros and leaders that you want them to.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kinda funny about paying to go. When I go see the Oilers around here I always go to Long Island because the tickets are so cheap, having said that now the team is doing better the seats are not as cheap as they used to be. Last time i went each seat cost $32 and included a hot dog, a drink, beer if you were old enough and parking. Now you just get the seat for $32. I was sitting 5 rows up from ice level in the corner, same seats I always get, they are very good. Gene was standing right next to us. That has got to be one of the cheapest tickets in the league. At MSG those seats would cost $250 each.....

Oh for sure. I keep track of prices around the league. You got a good deal there. I was speaking flippantly about "paying".

No doubt the Islanders are a more workmanlike club than this one. Too bad theres little market for Islanders hockey these days. Reminds me of going to games here in the 90's and paying 20bucks or less..

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
Effort doesn't always mean they're dialed in. I'd be interested, if I were an Oil fan, to see what sort of responsibility and professionalism they display off the ice. Is focus and discipline a part of their daily lives? Is the top of the franchise (ownership and management) going to create an environment that instills this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad