Losing mentality sunk in deep.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You're almost describing millennial. Yes, to some degree any generation is going to be impacted by the way in which they were raised. With some by products being due to that experience and beliefs in child rearing at that time. Combine this with technological prowess and being first generation to much of todays technology and this can result in millennial taking the view that they are better, and superior at everything then older generations. The latter part I think being very much due to the tecnnological revolution.

AS it befits the Oilers we've heard expressed many times the management being surprised how difficult it is to motivate younger players these days. It was never all that hard to motivate K Lowe, or MacT and have them play their best. It was just assumed to occur. They don't really understand lesser motivation.

I don't want to take this off topic... but wouldn't Hall, Nuge, Eberle be part of the generation after the Y/Millennials? I mean by the time these guys were born in '91 to 93, it was the earlier Y's that had grown up experiencing the invent of the Tandy, the Atari, the Comodore 64, the NES, the first point-and-click OSs from Mac and Windows, email was invented and commonplace... and the dot-boom was done and bust by the time these guys were old enough to read, a generation and Napster had already changed how music was distributed before these guys went to their first grade-school dance, etc. Wouldn't the 'entitled, smarter than you' generation be the one that invented all of that stuff, or grew up using it?

To me, these guys are 2nd generation to most/much of that stuff. Or perhaps that's your the point?... that they were born into that world *after* the pace on innovation had quickened, so they don't see the effort that was required?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
You're almost describing millennial. Yes, to some degree any generation is going to be impacted by the way in which they were raised. With some by products being due to that experience and beliefs in child rearing at that time. Combine this with technological prowess and being first generation to much of todays technology and this can result in millennial taking the view that they are better, and superior at everything then older generations. The latter part I think being very much due to the tecnnological revolution.

Oh yeah that's definitely a new thing totally unique to that generation for sure.

:sarcasm:

When was "Don't trust anyone over 30" coined?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Anyway... just to add. I don't think this is a generational thing.

I think these kids are just like any other group of kids or generation before them. They aren't going to truly realize what these overused phrases like "maturity" or "attention to detail" actually mean until they learn the hard way and experience the positive that will come from listening to experience.

Their problem, IMO, is that they waltzed into a dressing room full of Moreaus, Stolls, Pisani's and Horcoff's who had only themselves just tasted what can come when a team matures together. They got too tantalizingly close to the ultimate prize, had the opportunity yanked from them and were told to focus on the wonderkid's future.... in the wake of that heartbreak, that room fragmented... for reasons few of us know... but I'd guess it fell along the lines of patience in the youth (those who couldn't tolerate it like Moreau/Souray... and those that tolerated and suger coated too much... like Horcoff).

That infighting created a gap in real leadership and a chasm that probably confused the younger players and sent mixed messages.

Now they are having to dig themselves out and it will still take some time.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't want to take this off topic... but wouldn't Hall, Nuge, Eberle be part of the generation after the Y/Millennials? I mean by the time these guys were born in '91 to 93, it was the earlier Y's that had grown up experiencing the invent of the Tandy, the Atari, the Comodore 64, the NES, the first point-and-click OSs from Mac and Windows, email was invented and commonplace... and the dot-boom was done and bust by the time these guys were old enough to read, a generation and Napster had already changed how music was distributed before these guys went to their first grade-school dance, etc. Wouldn't the 'entitled, smarter than you' generation be the one that invented all of that stuff, or grew up using it?

To me, these guys are 2nd generation to most/much of that stuff. Or perhaps that's your the point?... that they were born into that world *after* the pace on innovation had quickened, so they don't see the effort that was required?

Not that I want to get this too far offbase, but "Generation X" experienced a slow build of computers & video games & entertainment devices, with many failed experiements, and improvements usually in increments.

Millennials are the first generation to grow up with ubiquitous high-speed internet, accessible anywhere, and completely connected entertainment/distraction systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad