Rumor: Looks like it is down to Vegas, Toronto, Carolina and Edmonton for ROR!

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Can you explain ROR's +/- stats this season?

Haven't seen him play much this season but they look ugly.

Edit: A pick and prospect isn't really much for a team picking late .

EN goals, our defense for some reason chases down into the corners and the weak side is incompetent in terms of picking up a guy around the net or moving a puck out of the zone. It’s a nightmare all around. Seems like every game there’s a period where the team full falls apart defensively.

ROR has not been perfect by any means. But the line lacks a true scorer. Saad has always been a streaky player, he was a ghost until everyone got hurt and then he went on a streak of 5-10 really strong games. Leivo is someone who meshes alright with ROR but he shouldn’t be the primary winger on a cycle.

Losing Perron hurt majorly due to stylistic fits of our forwards. Kyrou is an uptempo high risk high reward player. ROR is a cerebral player who forechecks heavy and plays down low. Kyrou also played terribly the first 10 games of the season.

We lack a true all situations LD. All have their warts in one zone. Puts a lot of pressure on Parayko and Faulk and with whatever we’re doing stylistically this season differently (last season too) its a lot of terrible exits, rim around the boards and d zone mistakes leading to a lot of high danger chances.

Corsi is also not a great stat to look at for the Blues as they have been offensively coached for quality vs quantity.

Reactions: HighNote

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The biggest obstacle for ROR returning a 1st is that there are a LOT of good players available this tdl, and there's only going to be so many buyers and only so many of those who are also willing to move 1sts (at MOST there will be like 6 traded, and that's probably a high estimate).

A deal for him likely starts with a 2nd. The type of + comes down to things like level of retention, ect.
I'm not even sure his retention is going to cost much. It's pretty much a given that there'll be zero market for him at full clip. And in terms of actual cash, you're talking about $200k when retained the full 50%. Getting a third party broker probably costs a late pick.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Another injured passed his prime two-way center? Leafs should probably steer clear of this one

Reactions: kevsh

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The amount of times Ryan Orielly gets comepared to nick foligno is actually hilarious.
It's hilariously not a legitimate comparison, it's irrational projection of one of their first round exit disappointments. Ever try to talk someone out of their trauma?

He might fetch STL less than all of Tarasenko, Barba and Acciari.
Gosh we might have to pay someone to take him I bet ... just the silliest ROR thread yet this season ...

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's hilariously not a legitimate comparison, it's irrational projection of one of their first round exit disappointments. Ever try to talk someone out of their trauma?

Gosh we might have to pay someone to take him I bet ... just the silliest ROR thread yet this season ...
Yep, OReilly is going to put on a different jersey and poof! Hes going to be a whole different player than we have seen all year for a hundred different excuses. It’s not like he can be held accountable for his own play. Just because he is playing arguably the position that has the most influence on the ice doesn’t matter.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Yep, OReilly is going to put on a different jersey and poof! Hes going to be a whole different player than we have seen all year for a hundred different excuses. It’s not like he can be held accountable for his own play. Just because he is playing arguably the position that has the most influence on the ice doesn’t matter.

He can be. But there’s nothing to the eye that really pops as a glaring issue in his game specifically. It’s much more feasible in my bid our minds that his down season stat wise is much more attributed to circumstances CS own ability.

I know it’s easy to be 14 and look at stats and go on a forum and say he’s washed, he can’t skate anymore. But in all reality, watching 90% of the games, his skating isn’t any different than it was when he won the conn smythe. The only different looking thing to his game is not having a two man game with Perron anymore.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Since you have an issue with my response to it,

Do you also agree that ROR "might fetch STL less than all of Tarasenko, Barba and Acciari" ... lol
Or is it you think the comparison of Foligno's 19-20 season (and past) aligns with ROR's 21-22 season (and past) ... lol

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
ROR is over the hill and on the downside of his career.

That being said, +/- is the definition of a completely meaningless stat.
It's not meaningless when it's at the extreme ends of the + or -.

When it's really bad it absolutely is a valid stat and most likely means there are other underlying stats that are showing up in the +/- column.

Anything in the middle comparable to the rest of the league is useless I agree.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Another injured passed his prime two-way center? Leafs should probably steer clear of this one

Yes. While I'd like to believe he can still be effective but too risky (both in terms of his performance and health) for a GM and team under enormous pressure this post-season.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It's not meaningless when it's at the extreme ends of the + or -.

When it's really bad it absolutely is a valid stat and most likely means there are other underlying stats that are showing up in the +/- column.

Anything in the middle comparable to the rest of the league is useless I agree.

Give this a look. It explains a lot in terms of why the Minus for the Blues top offensive players is so high.

Reactions: PocketNines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad