Rumor: Looks like it is down to Vegas, Toronto, Carolina and Edmonton for ROR!

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
There’s no way Dubas is giving up a 1st or Knies for ROR. Vegas/EDM/Carolina can have him

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
ROR is a good rental for Edmonton, but I can't see how Parayko fits under the cap this year and moving forward. He is signed for seven more years at $6.5 Million until he is age 36. Doesn't quite fit the Oilers cap structure.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd still give the 2023 1st + a good prospect for ROR @ 50% retained. We would have to extend him though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We're basically dollar-in, dollar-out at this point. Actually a bit worse than dollar in-dollar out, as we don't have enough cap space to fit Yamamoto in when he comes back from LTIR, so cap space workarounds wouldn't be easy. The simple answer is to figure out what assets you would need for just Parayko, and just add on Pulujarvi's expiring contract, which will get us half way there. Would the Blues have any interest in taking Yamamoto? He has one year left, and has had an injury filled season this year, but last year he popped 20 goals. I'd include him in the deal as well, despite our lack of RW depth. We could take back some expiring junk contracts as well to keep the Blues from going to their max contract limit, as long as they are expiring deals and/or guys who can be buried in the minors, like Pitlick, Frk, Highmore, etc.
I think we would be okay taking back $ next year in Parayko trade. Don't think we want to take back longterm money but next year is gonna be rough for us anyway. So any of Foegele, Yam, Barrie is fine. But I think we would feel that we need potential top 4 guy coming back. Is that Bouchard or Broberg? Can Oil afford to trade 1 or both if they are sending Barrie out? If not, seems like taking Foegele, Yam, and Pulijarvi could work for cap but that is a lot of bottom 6 heading out for Oil.

Probably have to take back most the crap (some combo of Ceci, Barrie, Foegele, Puljaravi, Yamamoto). They'd have to free up enough space to have Parayko on roster at $6.5M and to fill in the roster spots of the crap offloads. So probably need $8M+ going back to St. Louis or another team.

But for fun would offer up something like the following:

Barrie (4.5M), Foegele (2.75M), Niemelainen, Schaefer, 1st 2023, 2nd 2024

For Barrie, could flip to another team to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder most likely, if you retain some $. St. Louis would probably want one of Bouchard and Broberg. Would consider Bouchard, depending on his $ ask next season. But that would change the deal completely.
That might work value wise, but I worry where that leaves our D longterm. Which is why I think would need Bouchard or Broberg. Can Oil afford to deal 1 of them if they are sending out Barrie?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
That's a big price for a player that's old and has been pretty bad this year, plus is coming off an injury.

O’Reilly is 32, he can still dress himself and everything.

A team that fancies itself a championship threat should be all over him, because it’s not about the next five years for them, it’s about the next five months.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
I think we would be okay taking back $ next year in Parayko trade. Don't think we want to take back longterm money but next year is gonna be rough for us anyway. So any of Foegele, Yam, Barrie is fine. But I think we would feel that we need potential top 4 guy coming back. Is that Bouchard or Broberg? Can Oil afford to trade 1 or both if they are sending Barrie out? If not, seems like taking Foegele, Yam, and Pulijarvi could work for cap but that is a lot of bottom 6 heading out for Oil.

That might work value wise, but I worry where that leaves our D longterm. Which is why I think would need Bouchard or Broberg. Can Oil afford to deal 1 of them if they are sending out Barrie?
Completely understandable.

With the trade offer would hope the Blues bite on a potential top 6 fwd prospect and the 1st rounder that could be used to draft a dman or flipped for an alternative dman fitting the Blues current timeline.

If Barrie is in the trade, Bouchard is needed to replace Barrie's production with regards to PP. Currently Broberg being on the ELC provides Oilers with an all scenario low cost serviceable d-man who will only get better. I do not see Broberg being traded at this point.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Completely understandable.

With the trade offer would hope the Blues bite on a potential top 6 fwd prospect and the 1st rounder that could be used to draft a dman or flipped for an alternative dman fitting the Blues current timeline.

If Barrie is in the trade, Bouchard is needed to replace Barrie's production with regards to PP. Currently Broberg being on the ELC provides Oilers with an all scenario low cost serviceable d-man who will only get better. I do not see Broberg being traded at this point.
That is what I figured. I think at that point it becomes do the Blues want to move the UFA and maybe 1 more piece or do they want to burn it to the ground? If we had 4-5 1st round picks over next 2 drafts would give us a lot of ammunition to go get whatever it is we want.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
That is what I figured. I think at that point it becomes do the Blues want to move the UFA and maybe 1 more piece or do they want to burn it to the ground? If we had 4-5 1st round picks over next 2 drafts would give us a lot of ammunition to go get whatever it is we want.
Was just perusing the Blues roster. They have a bunch of players signed medium to long-term at higher cap hits. Would be hard pressed to burn it to the ground at this time.

If I was them, I would just trade off the UFA's like you mentioned and unless they get a big overpay they should keep Parayko (my proposed deal would not be an overpay). With hopes they can bounce back next year with a decent amount of cap space to sign some FA's.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Was just perusing the Blues roster. They have a bunch of players signed medium to long-term at higher cap hits. Would be hard pressed to burn it to the ground at this time.

If I was them, I would just trade off the UFA's like you mentioned and unless they get a big overpay they should keep Parayko (my proposed deal would not be an overpay). With hopes they can bounce back next year with a decent amount of cap space to sign some FA's.

Free agency this offseason is really unlikely to fix their big problem: defense. It's a coaching thing, but it's also a personnel issue. It's possible they shore things up with the assets the get from selling, and it's possible a healthier lineup makes a noticeable difference, but most fans see this as a retool/rebuild that will take longer than one season. I don't think the intention is to burn it to the ground, but things change if you're looking at being competitive in a few years as opposed to clawing to stay relevant next season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
ROR is a good rental for Edmonton, but I can't see how Parayko fits under the cap this year and moving forward. He is signed for seven more years at $6.5 Million until he is age 36. Doesn't quite fit the Oilers cap structure.
Nurse will just have to go the other way ;)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Thomas and Kyrou aren't going anywhere. I think they view Buchy and Schenn as pieces they want to keep too. And Binnington likely as well. The D is a problem and that is where the question lays. We really have some talent there but it just doesn't seem to fit great and we are tight against cap going forward. And the coaching has been abysmal. So when I say burn it to ground I really mean move at least 2 of the D (Krug, Paryko, Faulk) and guy like Saad too. So we would keep rest of foundation, rebuild D, and then fill in around them. Personally, I'd like to see them deal all of the UFAs and one of the D and then evaluate where we are this point next year, unless folks want to overpay for the remaining guys and then they can go too.

Nurse will just have to go the other way ;)
I'd do something like Nurse, Pujiarvi, and Bouchard for Krug and Parayko.

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
Thomas and Kyrou aren't going anywhere. I think they view Buchy and Schenn as pieces they want to keep too. And Binnington likely as well. The D is a problem and that is where the question lays. We really have some talent there but it just doesn't seem to fit great and we are tight against cap going forward. And the coaching has been abysmal. So when I say burn it to ground I really mean move at least 2 of the D (Krug, Paryko, Faulk) and guy like Saad too. So we would keep rest of foundation, rebuild D, and then fill in around them. Personally, I'd like to see them deal all of the UFAs and one of the D and then evaluate where we are this point next year, unless folks want to overpay for the remaining guys and then they can go too.

I would agree the D is the issue.

I do like their fwd core. The reason I mentioned to wait a year is because I believe it would be hard to find takers of Faulk or Krug at their cap hits and term. Personally, I am not of fan of either player. If you could find takers for those players and repurpose their cap would go a long way with the team.

With that Parayko is a player that holds real value and would bring in players to help the team. But imo any trade with him going out the Blues would need to get lucky to get a player back that turns into a Parayko caliber player.

Free agency this offseason is really unlikely to fix their big problem: defense. It's a coaching thing, but it's also a personnel issue. It's possible they shore things up with the assets the get from selling, and it's possible a healthier lineup makes a noticeable difference, but most fans see this as a retool/rebuild that will take longer than one season. I don't think the intention is to burn it to the ground, but things change if you're looking at being competitive in a few years as opposed to clawing to stay relevant next season.

If the plan is to get better on D and are keen on potentially moving Parako/Krug I would take the assets the team gains selling off UFAs and package some of them with Parayko/Krug to get the best possible dman they could get.

Something like Parayko/Krug, NYR 1st, (pieces from O'Reilly)

Caliber of dman would differ between the two players, but dangle that around the league and see what Dman comes available.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When O'Reilly gets a 1st back, I want everyone scoffing at the notion to be held accountable.

People acting like ROR is in a wheelchair is absolutely ridiculous.
Deadlines frequently return a 1st for a guy like ROR. And GMs go crazy and even pay a 1st for guys like Chiarot.

STL getting a 1st for ROR won't be surprising. It's not a guarantee, but it won't be surprising either. The teams trading for him will be likely drafting in the high 20s-30s range so it's not like they are giving up a lottery pick.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
When O'Reilly gets a 1st back, I want everyone scoffing at the notion to be held accountable.

People acting like ROR is in a wheelchair is absolutely ridiculous.
We fully expect a 1st and maybe a non-top prospect.

Also, he is expected to be activated from the IR and play tomorrow.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't see the Oilers sending out Barrie right now. Maybe over the summer, but he's been really good for us this year. His defensive play has taken some strides and he is still producing a tone. He certainly doesn't fall under the "cap dump" category.

Broberg won't be moved. Bouchard is probably more available than Broberg is, and I'd make him available if we're getting Parayko back.

I don't think it would need to be all
Probably have to take back most the crap (some combo of Ceci, Barrie, Foegele, Puljaravi, Yamamoto). They'd have to free up enough space to have Parayko on roster at $6.5M and to fill in the roster spots of the crap offloads. So probably need $8M+ going back to St. Louis or another team.

But for fun would offer up something like the following:

Barrie (4.5M), Foegele (2.75M), Niemelainen, Schaefer, 1st 2023, 2nd 2024

For Barrie, could flip to another team to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder most likely, if you retain some $. St. Louis would probably want one of Bouchard and Broberg. Would consider Bouchard, depending on his $ ask next season. But that would change the deal completely.
Barrie, Ceci and Yamamoto aren't crap. Barrie and Ceci are worth every dollar they are paid. But neither are top pair guys ideally, and both have had to pull duty in that role at different times. Give us a right side or Parayko-Barrie-Ceci, and I'm happy with that. Neither are cap dumps at all, so if you are counting them as no value, they can be left on the sidelines. Pulujarvi can go in. Yamamoto or Foegle can go in.

Bouchard, Pulujarvi, Yamamoto and a 1st in 2023. It gives two high value pieces in the 1st and Bouchard, one decent piece in Yamamoto, and a value-less try out for Pulujarvi so they know if he's a fit on their team and worth offering a contract to this summer (below his qualifying offer obviously).

Oh, and Broberg is a non-starter. Won't be included at all.

Deadlines frequently return a 1st for a guy like ROR. And GMs go crazy and even pay a 1st for guys like Chiarot.

STL getting a 1st for ROR won't be surprising. It's not a guarantee, but it won't be surprising either. The teams trading for him will be likely drafting in the high 20s-30s range so it's not like they are giving up a lottery pick.
I think most would be shocked if ROR went for less than a 1st. There is always a minority with differing opinions.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Edmonton management loves Nurse. Even though he's overpaid and underappreciated, he won't be traded.

Reactions: LTIR and Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
ROR to Vegas for Hague and a 1st?

sorry, I have no idea how Vegas values Hague.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
ROR to Vegas for Hague and a 1st?

sorry, I have no idea how Vegas values Hague.

I don't think Hague is off limits by any stretch but he's more valuable than that for sure. He's a piece that can help Vegas win now so he's far more important than a pick or prospect that is 2 or 3 years off.

If ROR is headed to Vegas I'd wager it would be something like a 1st + Dorofeyev/Cormier or 2nd+ Brisson/Dean type of deal.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't think Hague is off limits by any stretch but he's more valuable than that for sure. He's a piece that can help Vegas win now so he's far more important than a pick or prospect that is 2 or 3 years off.

If ROR is headed to Vegas I'd wager it would be something like a 1st + Dorofeyev/Cormier or 2nd+ Brisson/Dean type of deal.

how about the Blues adding Acciari? He’s going to be huge on a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad