OT: Look here! Now with prizes!

If Training Camp happened but there was no thread about it, did it really happen?

• Total voters

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Kuokkanen is one of the youngest players from the 2016 Draft. Nolan Patrick is only 4 months older.

Reactions: Breakdowns

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I have to admit, I've been much more impressed by Kuokkanen in pre-season than I was beforehand. Something about him just seemed off to me when I had seen him before. Still, a long way to go before saying he's a viable NHLr, but he's impressed me this pre-season.
Here's the thing about Kuokkanen that intrigues me. The propensity of the crazy stuff he was trying working seemed lower at lower levels, and as he went up it seemed to work more. What we saw in the pre-season just makes me thing that he's likely to be better suited to producing at the NHL level then he is any other level of hockey.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Who is the hot shot goalie starting for the canes not named ward. Is he the starting goalie.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Was going to say Google it. Then I googled his question and:

1) the first result was "Carolina Hurricanes Goalie Scott Darling Quits Drinking"
2) the 2nd result was about Cam Ward
3) the 3rd result was about Mike "Charlotte is where prospects go to die" Murphy

I'd be confused too

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
PDG probably competing with Zykov for the first bottom 6-type callup.

Probably right. I guess it will depend on what role they need though?
Winger for top 9: Zykov, PDG or maybe even Poturalski or Saarela depending on how the AHL season goes (or Kuokkanen if he hasn't hit 9 games).
Winger for the 4th line: Brown or Foegele
Center: Wallmark

It's a shame we had to give up Connor Brickley or he'd be the perfect 1st callup.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
PDG was looking decent his rookie year, playing with some physicality as well as a bit of scoring touch. Then, after 2 (or was it 3) concussions, he never looked the same to me. Maybe we have better talent now so he looks worse in comparison. Maybe he's more gun shy and doesn't play the same way. Maybe with the injury he was passed over and now he's not getting the same opportunity. Who knows, but either way, he doesn't look to be as effective as he was pre-concussions.

He may have missed the boat as well, since in the next couple of years, he's fighting for a spot among Necas, Kuokkanen, Roy, Saarela, Zykov, Gauthier, etc.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
PDG was looking decent his rookie year, playing with some physicality as well as a bit of scoring touch. Then, after 2 (or was it 3) concussions, he never looked the same to me. Maybe we have better talent now so he looks worse in comparison. Maybe he's more gun shy and doesn't play the same way. Maybe with the injury he was passed over and now he's not getting the same opportunity. Who knows, but either way, he doesn't look to be as effective as he was pre-concussions.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember him looking very similar last year to his rookie year, he was just ridiculously snakebit. Didn't he whiff on multiple empty-net-type goals last year?

Even if he just gets back to rookie-year level production he's an NHLer. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00