OT: Look here! Now with prizes!

If Training Camp happened but there was no thread about it, did it really happen?

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes announced the training camp schedule yesterday and I figured I'd start a thread to specifically discuss training camp. For those that are able to attend some of the sessions, please give your insights and observations. Thursday: 9/14 - Physicals; Friday: 9/15: 8:45 and 10:45 on ice sessions open to the public. See full schedule here (incorrectly list Thursday as 9/17 on the schedule).

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-announce-training-camp-schedule/c-291003892#sched

Barring injury, there aren't going to be too many positions available at this camp.

Forward Locks: Aho, Staal, Lindholm, Teravainen, Rask, Williams, Skinner, Stempniak, Kruger. Highly likely Nordstrom, Ryan, McGinn and Jooris have a spot leaving maybe 1 or 2 forwards spots. PDG probably has the inside track for that.

Defense Locks: Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Hanifin, and TVR. Likely Dhalbeck as well leaving 1-2 spots. Fleury has the inside track.

Goalies: Darling / Ward.

So maybe 1 forward and if Fleury or Dhalbeck struggles, 1 defenseman, but I suspect the line-up is pretty much set.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A couple of things to watch for:

1) While we have more depth than we've had in awhile, neither Nordstrom nor Jooris are all that good. Neither is Ryan. While I do think some of these guys may make the roster because we don't want to expose them to waivers, if they really do mean it when they say everyone's competing for their spot, a couple more forward spots should be available.

2) There will be a first callup competition regardless. As someone who was skeptical before, I have a feeling Foegele is going to be in the mix for that, especially if it's to fill a bottom 6 role. He seems like he'd be a good PKer right now even.

3) Fleury seems penciled in but I think they want all of the old guard defensemen to be competing for that spot. Even McKeown I think has a chance, with someone playing their off-side. I do think Fleury's the front-runner, but wouldn't be surprised to see Carrick or McKeown given a real chance. This is likely Carrick's last real chance to make the jump. McKeown is quickly falling out of favor so wants to show out well. That'll be fun.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

1) While we have more depth than we've had in awhile, neither Nordstrom nor Jooris are all that good. Neither is Ryan. While I do think some of these guys may make the roster because we don't want to expose them to waivers, if they really do mean it when they say everyone's competing for their spot, a couple more forward spots should be available.

I do get, and agree with what you are saying, but I think a prospect will have to be considerably better than Ryan and Nordstrom (Jooris less so) in camp because the coach knows what he has in those guys. He knows how they will react in certain game situations, what they are truly capable of and not capable of at the NHL level. He has a level of trust with them. He doesn't have that trust / knowthat with a prospect so they will have to show they are much better to take that spot away IMO. I think that we fans don't always see, appreciate or agree with that, but it's a real factor. That's why I don't think there are many spots truly available in camp.

2) There will be a first callup competition regardless. As someone who was skeptical before, I have a feeling Foegele is going to be in the mix for that, especially if it's to fill a bottom 6 role. He seems like he'd be a good PKer right now even.

Excellent point and I agree on Foegele. He seems like a coaches dream in that regards.

3) Fleury seems penciled in but I think they want all of the old guard defensemen to be competing for that spot. Even McKeown I think has a chance, with someone playing their off-side. I do think Fleury's the front-runner, but wouldn't be surprised to see Carrick or McKeown given a real chance. This is likely Carrick's last real chance to make the jump. McKeown is quickly falling out of favor so wants to show out well. That'll be fun.

Yah, this will be the best competition in camp IMO. Dhalbeck, Fleury, Carrick, McKeown, Bean and maybe another will be competing for that spot. If Fleury doesn't grab it, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Fleury just turned 21 years old. He fits the same mold as Slavin, Pesce, Dumoulin, Luke Martin, etc. Big, mobile two-way D. Given that the Canes are batting about 1.000 on these types I am not very worried. Like all of those comparables, Fleury won't get much respect until he is playing in the NHL.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fleury just turned 21 years old. He fits the same mold as Slavin, Pesce, Dumoulin, Luke Martin, etc. Big, mobile two-way D. Given that the Canes are batting about 1.000 on these types I am not very worried. Like all of those comparables, Fleury won't get much respect until he is playing in the NHL.

I'm not worried, but while physically he fits the same mold, we don't know if mentally he does. Given the speed of the game, the ability to quickly process a play and make the right play without delay is paramount. That's what Slavin has got.

I'm not suggesting it's the end of the road for Fleury if he doesn't grab a spot, just that I'd be disappointed. After a rough start, he had a very strong year in the AHL so to not take a #6 D in the NHL this season would be disappointing (to me).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

McKeown is quickly falling out of favour? He's played one year of pro.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm not worried, but while physically he fits the same mold, we don't know if mentally he does. Given the speed of the game, the ability to quickly process a play and make the right play without delay is paramount. That's what Slavin has got.

I'm not suggesting it's the end of the road for Fleury if he doesn't grab a spot, just that I'd be disappointed. After a rough start, he had a very strong year in the AHL so to not take a #6 D in the NHL this season would be disappointing (to me).

No doubt there are differences and Slavin's defensive headiness is on the top-end among all NHLers. However, to be fair, Slavin and Pesce were ranked like 10th/11th best Canes prospects by this board the season that they broke out. They were viewed as essentially fringe NHL prospects as soon as two years ago today. Now they comprise one of the most effective top-pairs in the league. Dumoulin is a similar story and now (hopefully) Fleury is following that path.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
He didnt meet expectation last year and is probably less likely to be an NHL regular someday than he was last year, I don't think that's a stretch to say.

I agree his first year of pro didn't go as well as we all hoped for and expectations for him may have lowered but to say he's quickly falling out of favour after his first year of pro is a stretch to say, imho.

Too early. He's a defensemen entering his second year of pro hockey.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree his first year of pro didn't go as well as we all hoped for and expectations for him may have lowered but to say he's quickly falling out of favour after his first year of pro is a stretch to say, imho.

I think he's been passed by several prospects, as well as lowered his value in a vacuum. Not to mention the acquisition of TVR putting another obstacle in his path to the NHL.

Not saying they don't consider him a prospect anymore or he's done something to **** the front office off, but his stock is falling not rising.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Knock I've heard on Roland, is that he's just too slow footed. Going to be tough sledding to break into this lineup with the way the D play at the defensive blue line in the Canes system.

On Nordstrom, he's easy to pass when competing for a top 9 role, because his offense is so limited. But as a 4th liner, he's going to be difficult to beat out with his defensive play and pk ability.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
On Nordstrom, he's easy to pass when competing for a top 9 role, because his offense is so limited. But as a 4th liner, he's going to be difficult to beat out with his defensive play and pk ability.

Totally agree. Another issue that determines Nordstrom's ability to make the line up is what type of 4th line is Peters trying to build? He seems to like the energy/checking line type of 4th line which works in Nordstom's favor as he is excellent at that. A legit scoring line would be a problem for him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

He's trade fodder at this point imo.

Good trade fodder, perhaps, since our blue line is suddenly hard as hell to crack. He could bring a nice return, especially if he ripens for another couple of years... but I just don't see him in a Canes uni at this point.

In other words: sometime soon he'll be too good for Charlotte but not good enough for Raleigh.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hard to see anybody kicking Nordstrom off the roster. He's a good match for Kruger and he can play either wing. I think we're probably pretty happy going into the season with a 4th line of McGinn/Kruger/Nordstrom.

Ryan is the one whose spot seems most vulnerable to me. If a winger like say Zykov/Gauthier/Foegele/whatever comes in and blows the doors off, then he goes into the top 9 and Teravainen moves into the 3C spot. Or if Wallmark or Roy comes in and looks good at center, then either one could relegate him to the 13th forward. I don't see him fitting into a 4th line role. This is not a bad thing - if you have a Derek Ryan as your 13th forward instead of say PDG, you're in pretty good shape up front.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He's trade fodder at this point imo.

Good trade fodder, perhaps, since our blue line is suddenly hard as hell to crack. He could bring a nice return, especially if he ripens for another couple of years... but I just don't see him in a Canes uni at this point.

In other words: sometime soon he'll be too good for Charlotte but not good enough for Raleigh.

While he certainly may become trade fodder at some point, he could also just be the cheap option that we need in the future if our payroll rises from hopefully becoming a consistently good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad