London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I thought players that didn't report last year could still be protected while the team picked again? If so, how come Barrie didn't protect Peterka?

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
The Bad News

He was drafted 71st in the import draft last year by Barrie but did not report.

The Good News

Coming into the 2019-20 season, John-Jason Peterka was regarded as a B-grade prospect by the NHL Central Scouting, projected as a second or third-round pick. There was no question he had impressive skills – in 48 games with EHC Red Bull Munich’s development team in Salzburg in 2018-19, he had 45 goals and 94 points, leading the league in both categories. He was also instrumental in the German’s gold medal at the 2019 U18 World Juniors, earning the nation a promotion to the top division for the next tournament. But there were concerns that he was a bit undersized and hadn’t faced top competition yet, as he played in a fairly obscure Czech U19 league.

Almost all of that was put to rest at the 2020 U20 World Juniors. Together with fellow draft prospects Tim Stützle and Lukas Reichel, Germany stunned the hockey world by defeating the Czech Republic and going toe-to-toe with both the Americans and Canadians in the preliminary round. It was the dynamic Stützle that stole the show, but it was Peterka who led the German draft-eligible players with four goals and six points while also sitting second in team scoring and tied for first in penalty minutes with 16.

Suddenly, Peterka went from a solid second-round pick to a potential first-rounder in an incredibly deep draft, forcing scouts to take notice of him in the less-scouted Deutsche Eishockey Liga (German Ice Hockey League, or DEL). He joined the league at 17 years old and instantly established himself as one of the fastest skaters on the ice, despite being one of the youngest. His quick acceleration can catch defenders off guard and create space for excellent goal-scoring opportunities. He also can quickly transition back to defense without missing a beat. He is always on the move, never letting defenders rest, and can often force bigger, older opponents to take penalties while trying to slow him down.

On top of blazing speed, Peterka also possesses above-average hockey sense and intensity. He owns a patience unexpected for someone who plays at such a high speed, and he’s become incredibly dangerous on the Red Bull’s power play. His defensive game is not as refined as his offensive instincts, but he still shows no fear and is not afraid to get into high-danger situations despite his smaller stature. He’s a very intense player and doesn’t shy away from physicality. Of the draft-eligible German trio, Peterka has the most penalty minutes in the DEL this season with 14.

But what still stands out most is his amazing hands. While he has slowed down a bit after his incredible start, adding only four goals and four assists in 36 games since, his totals are one of the best for an U18 player in the DEL. In the past two decades, only three players have produced more points. Of course, two of those three are Stützle and Reichel, who have scored 34 and 24 points in their first DEL seasons, respectively. However, keep in mind that Peterka has done all this in a limited role with the Red Bulls. At an average of 11:50 a game, he’s played over four minutes less than Stützle, who has the same number of even-strength and power-play goals as him.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I thought players that didn't report last year could still be protected while the team picked again? If so, how come Barrie didn't protect Peterka?

I think because of last year they must have released his rights because they had Matvei Pekar (later traded to Sudbury) and Arthur Silovs.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks, forgot about Pekar. Pekar had already signed with Buffalo at last year's draft which allowed them to select both Silovs and Peterka. When Pekar was sent back to them and Silovs reported, they had to release Peterka.

Reactions: tjziel

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Here is a comment I found about Peterka elsewhere on this board:

2020 CHL Import Draft
I just read some scouting reports and watched a 9 min video on Peterka. Appears to be quite skilled, and very quick--played very well at the World Juniors (Germany). Projected to go late first round to second round in the upcoming NHL draft. Should be a welcome addition in London.

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
Anybody up to projecting a lineup?

My thoughts are that we have lots of bottom 6 players but need some players (on both forward and defence positions) to really bring it in camp like Evangelista did last year. We look thin at 19 & 20 year olds.

Reactions: shanewalsh

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Anybody up to projecting a lineup?

My thoughts are that we have lots of bottom 6 players but need some players (on both forward and defence positions) to really bring it in camp like Evangelista did last year. We look thin at 19 & 20 year olds.

as of now, I’d say:

Peterka-McMichael-Evangelista
Stranges-Moskal-Dunkley
Rolofs-McCue-McGurn
Panwar-Bujold-Chantler
Smith/Sim/Crane

Keane-Skinner
Steklov-Montgomery
Mailloux-Roger
Edward/Federkow

Brochu
Onuska

this roster would allow for another OA to be added. Gruden could potentially be back but trying to predict that is a circus. if not, this team needs another top 6 forward. say they add a RW and run a 3rd line of Rolofs-McCue-Dunkley, that’s intriguing. I’d also want another D-man. preferably a left handed puck mover.

as for the bottom of the lineup, they’re all interchangeable. I would like to see Panwar find a home where he can get some more ice time. one of the 04s will have to play Jr. B or Jr. A somewhere (5 signed). I would like to keep Bujold, Edward and Sim up. unlike Mailloux last season, I think Edward could see a good amount of games with the big club this season. Colton Smith’s CCHL rights were just traded a little while ago so I don’t think it’d be the worst if he played there. I don’t know what all the local Jr. B teams are looking like in terms of 04’s, but I’m sure Crane could latch on somewhere there too

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
as of now, I’d say:

Peterka-McMichael-Evangelista
Stranges-Moskal-Dunkley
Rolofs-McCue-McGurn
Panwar-Bujold-Chantler
Smith/Sim/Crane

Keane-Skinner
Steklov-Montgomery
Mailloux-Roger
Edward/Federkow

Brochu
Onuska

this roster would allow for another OA to be added. Gruden could potentially be back but trying to predict that is a circus. if not, this team needs another top 6 forward. say they add a RW and run a 3rd line of Rolofs-McCue-Dunkley, that’s intriguing. I’d also want another D-man. preferably a left handed puck mover.

as for the bottom of the lineup, they’re all interchangeable. I would like to see Panwar find a home where he can get some more ice time. one of the 04s will have to play Jr. B or Jr. A somewhere (5 signed). I would like to keep Bujold, Edward and Sim up. unlike Mailloux last season, I think Edward could see a good amount of games with the big club this season. Colton Smith’s CCHL rights were just traded a little while ago so I don’t think it’d be the worst if he played there. I don’t know what all the local Jr. B teams are looking like in terms of 04’s, but I’m sure Crane could latch on somewhere there too
I'd agree with all but Chantler. He wont be a regular unless his skating really improves imo

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Is it possible peterka plays in the ahl next season? I’ve seen guys picked in the import draft not report and go to the ahl and those Guys were playing in U18 and u20 leagues over there, peterka was playing in a pretty decent men’s pro league, be odd to see him go back to play against juniors. Be kind of going in the opposite direction.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Is it possible peterka plays in the ahl next season? I’ve seen guys picked in the import draft not report and go to the ahl and those Guys were playing in U18 and u20 leagues over there, peterka was playing in a pretty decent men’s pro league, be odd to see him go back to play against juniors. Be kind of going in the opposite direction.
If there's one team that can convince a pro player to go back to juniors it's London. That said, I can't see Peterka reporting. He had a decent role with Munich last season already and I'm sure he'd be a huge piece next season if he stays – guaranteed top six and powerplay time. If the NHL team wants him in the AHL and he likes that option, there's no reason to go to London either.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
If there's one team that can convince a pro player to go back to juniors it's London. That said, I can't see Peterka reporting. He had a decent role with Munich last season already and I'm sure he'd be a huge piece next season if he stays – guaranteed top six and powerplay time. If the NHL team wants him in the AHL and he likes that option, there's no reason to go to London either.
Plus he gets money that way

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I can’t see Mark trading Guskov and drafting a kid that won’t ever report when he could have drafted someone else. I actually think they have talked with him and his agent and he will be London bound.
Agreed personally I think Mark knew who he was drafting and whether they would report before trading Guskov. Guskov had talent, no way he lets that walk without liking what he had in his “hand” going into the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad