London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think it’s pretty naive to think this doesn’t happen. People that sell cocaine don’t care who they sell it too. All they care about is the money. Doing the drug once doesn’t make you an addict. Lol I’ve seen buddies try it. They aren’t drug addicts.
casual drug use or drug experimentation doesn't make anyone an addict. totally agree with that.

let's be cleared eyed in acknowledging that drug use is common amongst jr hockey players - and, ahem, when you have situations that attract players who are affluent the drug flow is even easier. and everyone knows about it.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I posted this on twitter but who's passing and who's not for import draft are up on CHL.ca and Ottawa is making both picks, which means they're releasing the rights to Marco Rossi (because he's said if he doesn't make NHL then he'll be playing pro in Europe next year) but imagine London drafts him in the 1st round lol. Twitter would be set on fire
Ottawa has Rossi on the NHL reserve. Not sure how and why this is allowed but apparently there are some Covid rules we don’t know about.

Reactions: HockeyPops

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ottawa has Rossi on the NHL reserve. Not sure how and why this is allowed but apparently there are some Covid rules we don’t know about.

Are you sure that really exists? I am fairly sure that only applies to players who are already drafted and were not in the CHL the year before, which is why Sudbury is able to make two picks despite Dichow being signed for next year. However, had they kept Loponen (they released him so he could play at home in Finland next year), they would only be able to select one guy. Otherwise, why wouldn't the Soo do the same thing as Ottawa? They are confident that Malik will come over, but it is far from a guarantee... And they have a top 10 pick which could get them a pretty good player. Pytlik may even end up in the AHL next year too.

It's far more likely that Ottawa released Rossi and he is certainly playing in Europe next year if he is not playing in the NHL. So if you select him, you are essentially wasting a pick.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Are you sure that really exists? I am fairly sure that only applies to players who are already drafted and were not in the CHL the year before, which is why Sudbury is able to make two picks despite Dichow being signed for next year. However, had they kept Loponen (they released him so he could play at home in Finland next year), they would only be able to select one guy. Otherwise, why wouldn't the Soo do the same thing as Ottawa? They are confident that Malik will come over, but it is far from a guarantee... And they have a top 10 pick which could get them a pretty good player. Pytlik may even end up in the AHL next year too.

It's far more likely that Ottawa released Rossi and he is certainly playing in Europe next year if he is not playing in the NHL. So if you select him, you are essentially wasting a pick.
There’s a bunch of different lists players can be on so they don’t have to be protected for the import draft. One is OA, one is NHL, one is players who didn’t report. Dichow is on the last one because he didn’t play in Sudbury in 2019-20, even though we know he will be there for next season. The NHL list has signed NHL prospects, plus the league deemed Rossi the one player from this year’s draft that has a very good shot at being drafted+signed and potentially playing in the NHL right away – so they allowed Ottawa to add him to that list as well. Guys like Stützle and Raymond would probably be on that list as well, except they’re already protected because they didn’t report – so same list as Dichow.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
They are confident that Malik will come over, but it is far from a guarantee....

I really think the contract he has signed to play professionally is a clear indication he is long gone. The Soo are still holding out hope I get that as he for sure is talented and they have no “other plan” at this point then him. But I just can’t see why he would want to go back there for another looksie? He had a great look at what the Soo and the OHL offered in last years “trial” and now he can stay home and be nice and safe and make a couple of bucks? Why would he come, plenty of examples of goalies making the NHL directly from Europe as they do not need to acclimate to NA game like a skater does? IMO anyway ....

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There’s a bunch of different lists players can be on so they don’t have to be protected for the import draft. One is OA, one is NHL, one is players who didn’t report. Dichow is on the last one because he didn’t play in Sudbury in 2019-20, even though we know he will be there for next season. The NHL list has signed NHL prospects, plus the league deemed Rossi the one player from this year’s draft that has a very good shot at being drafted+signed and potentially playing in the NHL right away – so they allowed Ottawa to add him to that list as well. Guys like Stützle and Raymond would probably be on that list as well, except they’re already protected because they didn’t report – so same list as Dichow.

Well it seems rather presumptive to me, and really wishy-washy rules. I understand Rossi is ranked highly, but who is to say that a guy like Pytlik, Mysak or Ponomaryov (who plays in the QMJHL) would not end up in the AHL next year, similar to guys like Sandin a few years ago?

I feel like they should not be making an exception for guys like Rossi, unless they are making the same exceptions for Pytlik, Mysak and Ponomaryov. OA is fine, non-report is fine, but if they were on a CHL team the year before, they should count as one of the spots unless you release them because at this point, they all have yet to be drafted.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Well it seems rather presumptive to me, and really wishy-washy rules. I understand Rossi is ranked highly, but who is to say that a guy like Pytlik, Mysak or Ponomaryov (who plays in the QMJHL) would not end up in the AHL next year, similar to guys like Sandin a few years ago?

I feel like they should not be making an exception for guys like Rossi, unless they are making the same exceptions for Pytlik, Mysak and Ponomaryov. OA is fine, non-report is fine, but if they were on a CHL team the year before, they should count as one of the spots unless you release them because at this point, they all have yet to be drafted.
Well, you have to do something and it’s easier to have one exception than introduce a ton of new rules and guidelines. All GMs in the league were asked for approval for Rossi and agreed to this, so it’s fine by me.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Dan Fritsche article in Free Press is a refreshing read to me as I have been adamant that shit like what happened in Sarnia has no home under the Hunter’s watch. They know the business of hockey in developing kids to men and junior players to pro. Their business model and thinking outside the box is why the franchise is so hated by other teams fans. It is nice to hear Danny is still involved in hockey and doing what he can do to protect our sport.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Misguided is the word. Yep
Has he had a post anywhere that is relevant to the topic. Wtf does Dale’s DUI have in reference to my post. My post was commenting on what Danny Fritsche stated in an interview with Ryan Pyette. How do you block stupid a holes on this board.

Reactions: zman77

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
This could be a weird CHL Import draft or it could be a decent one but nobody knows....

A scout from Finland told me this, after I asked him who might be coming over from Finland.

“There are very few, if any, Finnish players that are thinking of moving to the CHL. The uncertainty of when the season starts and who can travel where is so big that most players seem to be just taking the easier way and staying home.”

I also asked a Swedish scout and he said, “I don’t know a lot of Swedish premier players that are willing to come to North America. Too much uncertainty right now.”

Anyways my prediction is: Martin Rysavy from the Czech Republic....

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
This could be a weird CHL Import draft or it could be a decent one but nobody knows....

A scout from Finland told me this, after I asked him who might be coming over from Finland.

“There are very few, if any, Finnish players that are thinking of moving to the CHL. The uncertainty of when the season starts and who can travel where is so big that most players seem to be just taking the easier way and staying home.”

I also asked a Swedish scout and he said, “I don’t know a lot of Swedish premier players that are willing to come to North America. Too much uncertainty right now.”

I've heard the same thing. Mostly players from Czechia, Slovakia, Russia, Belarus that are interested. Some of those countries are already difficult in terms of the visa process and Covid will make it a lot harder.

Reactions: tjziel and TKFan29

TKFan29

Aug 28, 2018
I think, what we'll see in general strategy from most teams in this draft will be to pick players that are a year or two older than they normally do. Most teams like to select 17 year olds who aren't eligible for the NHL draft until the following year. The Knights especially like to do this as 8 of their 11 picks in the last six years fall into this category. The others were previously NHL Drafted guys who had other options. I think on the whole the CHL import draft will be made up this year more of those type of guys, 18 and 19 year olds, the one and done types whose rights are controlled by an NHL team already. If I were a typical CHL Team I'd take a shot on one of these guys, as maybe the NHL team that owns their rights tells them to report to the CHL simply because they know what safety measures are in place in the three leagues. This may or may not affect the Knights as I'm quite sure they know who they want to take tomorrow and rest assured, they've been told by that players advisor that if the CHL plays that he'll be in a Knights uniform come the fall.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I think, what we'll see in general strategy from most teams in this draft will be to pick players that are a year or two older than they normally do. Most teams like to select 17 year olds who aren't eligible for the NHL draft until the following year. The Knights especially like to do this as 8 of their 11 picks in the last six years fall into this category. The others were previously NHL Drafted guys who had other options. I think on the whole the CHL import draft will be made up this year more of those type of guys, 18 and 19 year olds, the one and done types whose rights are controlled by an NHL team already. If I were a typical CHL Team I'd take a shot on one of these guys, as maybe the NHL team that owns their rights tells them to report to the CHL simply because they know what safety measures are in place in the three leagues. This may or may not affect the Knights as I'm quite sure they know who they want to take tomorrow and rest assured, they've been told by that players advisor that if the CHL plays that he'll be in a Knights uniform come the fall.
I actually think the opposite may be the case. Shoot your shot at an 03. If imports can't come over or there is no (or a shortened) season, you still have someone for next year.

TKFan29

Aug 28, 2018
Y
I actually think the opposite may be the case. Shoot your shot at an 03. If imports can't come over or there is no (or a shortened) season, you still have someone for next year.

True, I guess we'll see. I do also like your thoughts about the Eastern European players wanting to come. Our Infection rates are far lower than that of those countries and Canada may be the only viable option for 20-21 for those players. Where as the Scandanavian countries have to done a much better job with the virus and their leagues should play.

Off topic a bit but what happens to USNDTP players if they don't play but the CHL does? Will they allow the Knights to sign Frank Nazar or the Soo to sign Rutger McGroarty because they'll need a place to play and develop even though the Knights have already signed 4 picks from this years draft.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Czechia, Slovakia and Russia have been the main feeders into the CHL. Switzerland, Germany and Belarus/Latvia have become more popular recently too.

I think the thing with Sweden and Finland is that the quality of competition is usually good enough at home that they get quite a bit of exposure, even if they are not playing in a pro leagues. Finnish players get less than Swedish players, so unless they are practically guaranteed to get a full time Liiga role, some will decide to come over to the CHL if they feel like they will get better playing time. Swedish players rarely ever do it unless an NHL team tells them, or they are from a really stacked system with a ton of competition and a lack of exposure (and even that is rare).

NHL teams probably have only one scout for all of Czechia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belarus, Latvia and Germany... And the QoC is usually not that great. Any Slovakian, Belarussian or Latvian league, even the top pro leagues, are not good enough QoC so the best guys will go to Sweden, Finland, or the CHL so they can show off their skills on a larger stage. Germany, Switzerland and Czechia have better QoC, but if they are not a full time player in their local pro league, they too are often better going to the CHL.

Russia is interesting too. Russia is really interesting. It depends on the guy and where they are from. Top guys on good teams will likely stay home. If they are good but kind of buried, they are good candidates for the CHL. Same if they are good but not on a top notch team, or already moved on from home.

Rysavy is a good choice. Good bet to be a top 75 pick and right in that sweet spot as a guy who would deeply benefit from coming to the CHL. Stanislav Svozil is the definitely the gem from Czechia, and has a full time pro role already, but I have a good feeling he would come over to the CHL if he could be a top pairing guy on a top-notch team. He could be good enough to be a top 15-25 pick next year, but he would have to do a lot to really gain that exposure even in the Czech pro leagues. If he is a top CHL defenseman, then he's going high. Probably not going to make it to London, and Rysavy could go quite high too.

Reactions: tjziel

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Sarnia, Hamilton, Regina, Moose Jaw, Sudbury, Vancouver and Saskatoon (steal of the draft) and of course North Bay with solid pickups so far.

Hope London goes for broke and picks up Simon Edvinsson or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad