London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKfan

Sep 19, 2017
OK...fair..but we're 3 games in and that won't hold true once everyone is healthy. Where is #14 on the forward list with everyone healthy and available to go?

This isn't a tough question yet everyone is dodging it
Didn't dodge it. Take Nelson and Dunkley out and #14 is 9th and that assumes Cotter comes back.

Reactions: KnightWatch
Didn't dodge it. Take Nelson and Dunkley out and #14 is 9th and that assumes Cotter comes back.
So you trade Nelson and Dunkley?...or they get demoted to the 4th line? You do realize you've just made the Knights weaker with this move...and if we get a body back for Nelson or Dunkley if we make a trade..where do they fit in? Look at it logically. If this is a go for it year.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Yep...mine.

Kid had a good game..and I acknowledged it...but where do you see him once Foudy is back...and especially if Cotter comes back.

He's not a top 9 with those 2 here. This is his draft year...he's gotta play top 6 or 9 or you gotta move him.

I definitely see Evangelista in the top six right now, today. We could see it, or at least I did noticed there were something in him last year but he couldn't get it going, losing battles playing nervous and timid and right away the Rowe tag was put on him by some. He did his homework over the summer and came back to camp a determined young man, difference is night and day over last season and picking up confidence each and everyday. I would have like to see him put on more weight but as we are finding out it is no longer a necessity in these day and age anymore. In my view once he gets that first goal there will be no stopping him, if the Knights are going to trade him they'll need to get a whole lot for him. Am I high on this kid, you bet I am, yes he was losing battles but that had to do with his fitness not his talent and I couldn't see why not many noticed his raw talent last year

Last edited:

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Like I said...with Cotter and Foudy in the lineup..is Evangelista in your top 6 or 9? If so...who does he bump to the 4th line out of the following?

McMichael
Gruden
Foudy
Cotter
Stranges
Nelson
Tymkin
Guskov
Dunkley
Moskal

that's 10 ahead of him on the depth chart

Again..I'm not browbeating the kid...I just want someone to logically tell me where he fits into our top 6-9 with everyone dressed. It's not feasible. It's also not fair for the kid to see 4th line minutes in his draft year

Maybe I see it differently than you do, PP, because I watch and think like a coach. As a coach, you can't do a depth chart simply by listing names. You do it by lines. And the lines have defined roles, according to your system.

Your first two lines are (usually) your highest skill lines. Period. That's where your offense comes from. Do a depth chart based upon that premise. Try to put your highest skill, best-chance-for-offense players into the first 6 slots. Then adjust from there.

There are some good players who may fall down the list. Just means you'll have a stronger chance to roll 4 lines.

Reactions: zman77

LKfan

Sep 19, 2017
So you trade Nelson and Dunkley?...or they get demoted to the 4th line? You do realize you've just made the Knights weaker with this move...and if we get a body back for Nelson or Dunkley if we make a trade..where do they fit in? Look at it logically. If this is a go for it year.
Prefer Evangelista for 3 years over 1 year for Nelson and Dunkley. Not convinced that the team is weaker by playoff time with #14 in the top 9. Just my opinion. Good debate.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Are we seriously talking about Dunkley getting moved?? He’s not getting moved!! He has chemistry with either Matvei Guskov or Connor McMichael on the first or second line. He does things like go to front of the net and in the corners other that people in that line can’t do. Yes he might not have amazing speed or vision like some players, but he reminds me of James VanRiemsdyk just only on a junior level. JVR has nothing fancy, just goes to the net when needs and is bettter than Tymkin at doing that.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Evangelista with his best game in a Knights uniform...hats off. Nice to see..but Erie is a weak team right now. I still don't view him as a top 9 forward once Foudy is healthy. Sorry

Time to move Keane. Yikes..not looking good out there. You can pack Panwar's bags with him

Brochu stepped up but I see something that will be very exposed by better teams. When going side to side he moves way too far past the post. Parsons had the same issue as a rookie and Rook rectified the problem. Hopefully they catch it in Brochu and he can push Kooy a bit. Again...Erie is a weak team

Good W and Good effort from some kids we need to see more from

Sahil Panwar is just caught in numbers game, but have no idea what he’ll be in the OHL so package him for Ty Dellandrea..... haha just kidding!! And Gerard Keane remind me of Ben Gleason. He gonna need way more time to develop and he gonna need top 4 minutes from another team, so package him for Thomas Harley...just kidding!

Reactions: KnightsWatch
Maybe I see it differently than you do, PP, because I watch and think like a coach. As a coach, you can't do a depth chart simply by listing names. You do it by lines. And the lines have defined roles, according to your system.

Your first two lines are (usually) your highest skill lines. Period. That's where your offense comes from. Do a depth chart based upon that premise. Try to put your highest skill, best-chance-for-offense players into the first 6 slots. Then adjust from there.

There are some good players who may fall down the list. Just means you'll have a stronger chance to roll 4 lines.
Oh do tell Mr. Guru ;)

names or not...that's your depth chart in no particular order when looking at the Knights current roster all healthy

I've been around the game long enough to know that no OHL team is going to bump a 19yr old and a 20 yr old to the 4th line in favour of a 17yr old who had 1 good game ;)

My point is clear...Evangelista needs top 9 minutes in his draft year and he's not going to get it on our roster unless we move at least 2 from that list

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
my goodness was Keane shaky last night. time to get Montgomery in there asap.

I think Merkley is honestly happy to be here. this is a great opportunity for him to change some peoples minds (myself included) and I hope that he can.

one thing I found weird was a first line of Nelson Moskal and Tymkin, then Stranges Guskov Gruden as the third. seems a bit out of order.

Evangelista with the best game I’ve ever seen out of him. lots of people saying there’s just not room for him in the top 9, but that performance was better than any game Dunkley and Tymkin to name a couple have had this year. if he keeps playing like that he will make room.

Evangelista with the best game I’ve ever seen out of him. lots of people saying there’s just not room for him in the top 9, but that performance was better than any game Dunkley and Tymkin to name a couple have had this year. if he keeps playing like that he will make room.
I'd love to see the kid force the bench's hand. Keep doing the smart things and he could. I don't see him where he is currently once we get everyone healthy though. Hope I'm wrong

Question are we anticipating Paul Cotter to be back?? Cuz I’m not, but if he doesn’t come back there might be room...
I'm anticipating him back based on what I've heard. Rumblings have him being returned, but we've all heard rumblings before in the past too. I have Cotter on my roster until I hear otherwise, thus the reason I say there is no room in the top 9 for #14

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I'm anticipating him back based on what I've heard. Rumblings have him being returned, but we've all heard rumblings before in the past too. I have Cotter on my roster until I hear otherwise, thus the reason I say there is no room in the top 9 for #14

Fair, if he comes back then I for sure see it really tough to see him crack the top 9. If that’s the case, I’d still like to see Tymkin moved down the lineup order.

Foudy - Connor McMichael - Evangelista/Cotter
Stranges - Gruden - Guskov
Dunkley - Moskal - Tymkin
Rolofs - Nelson - McCue

So ya I think your right PP31 it would be hard for Dale to promote him and have to demote Guskov or Tymkin, cuz unless you’re Mitch Marner that doesn’t happen very often.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31
Fair, if he comes back then I for sure see it really tough to see him crack the top 9. If that’s the case, I’d still like to see Tymkin moved down the lineup order.

Foudy - Connor McMichael - Evangelista/Cotter
Stranges - Gruden - Guskov
Dunkley - Moskal - Tymkin
Rolofs - Nelson - McCue

So ya I think your right PP31 it would be hard for Dale to promote him and have to demote Guskov or Tymkin, cuz unless your Mitch Marner that doesn’t happen very often.
Which is my point. I know some posters here will just say I've picked 14 to brow beat this season. Not the case. I look at the entire picture and logically slot each player where they could potentially slot. It's not a knock against Luke...I just feel he'll have to be at a better than a point per game pace to bump anyone in the top 10 down

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
I think Evangelista needs to show consistency over a longer stretch before he gets moved ahead of vets. But if last night is any indication, it would be so so so nice to have that type of playmaking ability from the right side. Feels like the Knights haven't had any passing ability from a RWer since Marner. (I am not saying Evangelista is Marner)

I think Evangelista needs to show consistency over a longer stretch before he gets moved ahead of vets. But if last night is any indication, it would be so so so nice to have that type of playmaking ability from the right side. Feels like the Knights haven't had that from a RWer since Marner.
Definitely want to see the kid succeed..and I'd love to see him force the bench. If we revisit this in 2 months and he's still searching for his 1st OHL goal...I think we know what the eventual outcome is going to be

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I would take Evangelista over Dunkley, or Nelson, in my top 9 any day. Yes, it's only one game, but after what I witnessed last night, I believe he's only going to continue to get better and better. I can't say the same for Dunkley/Nelson....Dunkley's days are numbered here in London, and if Cotter returns, Nelson's could be as well.

Man, are the Hunters ever going to have their work cut out for them getting Merks to play D?! He looks like he has very little interest in doing so and was usually the last man back into the D Zone last night. This could be fun to watch! Can we teach an old dog new tricks? I do love his offensive ability though and think it was a great gamble based on what it cost us!

Also, after what I witnessed from Regula....I think I've changed my mind and think he should get the C over Foudy. Very impressive in all aspects last night.

Brochu looked good, but, as PP indicated, he does need to keep from sliding too far out of his net. He was good, but also fortunate.

….and what does Stranges have to do to get 1st PP time....he's probably the most creative and unique forward on the team...we need him on the 1st unit!!!! Bump Tymkin, that experiment really didn't go anywhere last season, why re-hash it?

….and for those of you criticizing Keane, ya he wasn't great, but Winslow hung him out to dry on several occasions. I would bench Winslow, before I benched Keane, based on last night's performance.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Foudy - McMichael - Dellandrea
Stranges - Gruden - Cotter
Guskov - Dunkley - Evangelista
Nelson - Moskal - Tymkin

This is who I want upfront and we may legit be Memorial Cup contenders come post trade deadline.

That first line would be absolutely sick! Dellandrea would add a RH shot who he loves passing and going to the net and picking up the loose stuff, while Foudy and McMichael like to shoot. Not only that, but Dellandrea has the wheels to keep up with Foudy.

The second line is crazy. Stranges and Gruden already click chemistry-wise and Stranges has already had chemistry with Cotter last year. Stranges makes this line go with Gruden, with Cotter adding some snarl and physicality. I just really love the fit.

The third line is still very offensive but Guskov who has really taken some steps development-wise is the shooter and Evangelista is the guy who makes this line go. His vision will set up Dunkley and Guskov who are still really good scorers at this level and Evangelista can still have good players around him

The fourth line is the “veteran pain in the a$$” line. Ability to forecheck and create turnovers and score while also playing two way hockey would be amazing. Similar to the Piccinich - McDonald - CJ Yakimowicz line in 2016.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think a fully healthy, Paul Cotter returned forward group looks like:

Cotter-McMichael-Foudy
Stranges-Guskov-Gruden
Dunkley-Moskal-Tymkin
Rolofs/Panwar-Nelson-Evangelista/McCue/McGurn

If Cotter's back, something like this until Foudy's healthy:

Cotter-McMichael-Evangelista
Stranges-Guskov-Gruden
Dunkley-Moskal-Tymkin
Rolofs/Panwar-Nelson-McCue/McGurn

they are obviously high on McCue in playing him in all 3 games so far. they probably also don't want to be in the same situation with Rolofs as they've been for Rowe and Evangelista. there's no reason to use an OA spot on Nelson if he's the 4C.

if I'm the Knights, I play Evangelista up there until Foudy's back. If he plays well and the 4th line isn't fair to him, trade him for all kinds of picks. If he can't get a good return, then 4th line it is for the time being. Dunkley has gotta go. I've gotten less and less excited about him every season he's been here. Nelson can take his spot on the 3LW and Panwar/McGurn can split 4C.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Evangelista with his best game in a Knights uniform...hats off. Nice to see..but Erie is a weak team right now. I still don't view him as a top 9 forward once Foudy is healthy. Sorry

Time to move Keane. Yikes..not looking good out there. You can pack Panwar's bags with him

Brochu stepped up but I see something that will be very exposed by better teams. When going side to side he moves way too far past the post. Parsons had the same issue as a rookie and Rook rectified the problem. Hopefully they catch it in Brochu and he can push Kooy a bit. Again...Erie is a weak team

Good W and Good effort from some kids we need to see more from

Interesting about Brochu, I guess that’s something that would stand out to you given where you sit seeing the angles to see he over commits to each side. I like his foot speed but for some reason he looks small to me, and I could see a team who crashes the net will cause problems for him.
Who in the league would you target as a goalie? Do you like the Kingston tender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad