London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
Burnett benched him and even scratched Merkley for a three game stretch. At that point in time the response was broken sticks and choice words as opposed to a shift in his game. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, however the cost was so minimal that I think it's a win for the Knights even if he plays a handful of games and is sent out of town.

:popcorn:
How do you think the Storm players are going to treat him during their many meetings this year?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
How do you think the Storm players are going to treat him during their many meetings this year?

I doubt there will be much of anything. The Guelph roster is almost entirely turned over since he was here, not many left who played with him. Hillis, Ralph and Lalonde? None of whom are the type to make something of it. I do have the first meeting between the two in December circled on my calendar now though.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I think it would be smart to pair him with Regula right off the hop. Regula is both our best offensive and defensive dman on the roster.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Merkley is a similar player to Ryan MURPHY. You get what you get with him as a player. He is a highly offensive dman who is gifted at moving the puck. He is not the strapping physical defender that we still need. He does fill a need though as we had some trouble with moving the puck last two games.

Offesively sure but Ryan Murphy never had lockeroom or character issues

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As a neutral fan this deal between both Knights and Petes looks like a great move for both teams.

For as much as the competitive side between the Attack and Knights have had over the past 20 years. If the Knights can do anything with RM, it should be to control his emotions in the game and make the high profile d-man accountable for his actions.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Ryan Merkley's talent and plays justified him, may it be offensive or defensive, to earned him first overall OHL and first round San Jose Sharks picks. His off ice issue is no problem in Sam Jose, can't see why it can't be the same here in London under the guidance of the Hunter brothers especially now as senior in this league.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If there is any team in the OHL who can turn him around, it is probably London. Worst case it cost them a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick, which is a worthwhile risk for a team with excellent asset management.

I still don't see why Peterborough does it unless they don't have to pay the compensation to Guelph or they are really that worried about the optics of sitting Merkley. Maybe San Jose paid them to do it... That wouldn't shock me with the way the OHL often is.

Reactions: Fastpace

three dog night

May 3, 2014
It will be interesting how Merkley plays what I have seen he slow getting back into the play have fun.

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
With Merkley exercising his right of non-movement and basically stating "London or nowhere" I have a feeling he knows how closely he will be monitored in London. I kinda think this could turn out to be a "Screw You Tour" of the OHL to show everyone who doubted him in the past wrong. Just seems like that type of kid
I hope you're right because that could mean some extra special performances against certain teams.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm trying to draw as much positive out of this as I can...because I detest the fact he's ending his OHL career in a Knights uniform as it stands right now

As I said I cant see him ever making my list of fav Knights.....but is what it is.
Cheap addition of a great talent ( who hopefully steps up )
For me his body language is a big deal. No head hanging, throwing arms up or hissy fits will go a long way.

Man he was so impressive as an underager with the 99 Tor Jr Can. Played well against us. He and Busby (Don Mills I think) were so good for playing a year up.
I hope I see that kid this season.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
As a neutral fan this deal between both Knights and Petes looks like a great move for both teams.

For as much as the competitive side between the Attack and Knights have had over the past 20 years. If the Knights can do anything with RM, it should be to control his emotions in the game and make the high profile d-man accountable for his actions.
Read Guelph get picks too if Merkley plays

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
With Merkley exercising his right of non-movement and basically stating "London or nowhere" I have a feeling he knows how closely he will be monitored in London. I kinda think this could turn out to be a "Screw You Tour" of the OHL to show everyone who doubted him in the past wrong. Just seems like that type of kid

I could see this happening as well, and everyone having another reason to hate London. :naughty:

If Merkley still acts like a clown I am sure he won't be around long either.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Now that we have added a body I’m surprised we haven’t heard the inevitable “I hope we don’t blow all our cards like last year” mantra?

Or did we and I missed it?

Reactions: Matt93

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Regula or Skinner will have to play with Merkley. can’t put that pressure on the 02s. he’s the 4th forward out there and as we’ve seen before he likes to blame everyone else for his mistakes. that will kill the rookies confidence

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Now that we have added a body I’m surprised we haven’t heard the inevitable “I hope we don’t blow all our cards like last year” mantra?

Or did we and I missed it?
not too worried. they have ran the same lineup the first 2 games with only Rolofs, Foudy, Regula, Brochu, and now Merkley not playing games. we don’t have the circus of 3 imports and I’m assuming Luke Evangelista isn’t going anywhere quite yet

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It will be interesting how Merkley plays what I have seen he slow getting back into the play have fun.

Hang on you were just on the Pete’s thread busting them for getting so little in return? Which is he a player that was worthy of a big return or a player of questionable skill? I’m confused.....

Reactions: KnightsWatch

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Hang on you were just on the Pete’s thread busting them for getting so little in return? Which is he a player that was worthy of a big return or a player of questionable skill? I’m confused.....
I still think they should have got more

dino200022

Regula or Skinner will have to play with Merkley. can’t put that pressure on the 02s. he’s the 4th forward out there and as we’ve seen before he likes to blame everyone else for his mistakes. that will kill the rookies confidence

Might as well throw him out there with Regula...he was essentially saving Bouchards ass defensively all last year so wont be anything new to him.

All in all it is a high reward move for mediocre risk, lets hope Kooy can find a way to stop some biscuits moving forward here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad