London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Sag 6 - Lon 3

Much better overall effort tonight in Saginaw but still came out on the losing side. Near the end of second after successfully killing a penalty Tymkin took an indiscipline personal call on Webb, it was in my opinion the turning point of the game. The Knights had them mind boggling searching for anything to get back in, and here it was only few seconds after killing a penalty nearing the end of second period Tymkin offer them a nice little gift that shifted the momentum. And did it again at the end of the game, got to choose the right time to pick your beef Cole.

A rookie error coming out of the zone cost them the third goal against, that's why you make that first pass out and not try to skate the puck out Montgomery , I still like the hard work of this kid though.

Even though Brochu made some great saves I don't believe in my opinion it will be enough to preserve him the #1 position in the crease , not that Kooy (or someone else) won it back it is more of Brochu losing it instead. averaging 1 goal at lest then every 8 shots are not all very good numbers (4 goals in 30 shots).

Foudy's timing of hurting himself is lousy for the Knights, they need his speed in a big way.

Tymkin's penalties weren't smart by any means but Merkleys were 100x more boneheaded in my opinion. Down 2 goals late and on 2 different occasions you let a Saginaw depth guy take you off the ice with matching roughing. That's when the team needs your offense the most.

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
Attended the game tonight. Total disaster. Lots of giveaways and Spirit were missing chances/ shooting wide and making Knights look good with 2-1 lead after 2. 3rd period was totally different....
Knights need to take out their man, not get caught up ice, increase intensity, enter opposing zone as a unit not by watching one guy carry it in or shoot it in etc... it might be an interesting ride home. Foudy will not be the saviour.
Still think that big moves are needed.
Don't expect to see Knights in Kia Top 10 this week !!

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Attended the game tonight. Total disaster. Lots of giveaways and Spirit were missing chances/ shooting wide and making Knights look good with 2-1 lead after 2. 3rd period was totally different....
Knights need to take out their man, not get caught up ice, increase intensity, enter opposing zone as a unit not by watching one guy carry it in or shoot it in etc... it might be an interesting ride home. Foudy will not be the saviour.
Still think that big moves are needed.

Kaliyev?

Reactions: KnightsWatch

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Was in Saginaw. Disappointing start, again.
Say what you want about Brochu, but if it wasn't for him, it would have been 2-0 Saginaw after the first 2 minutes. Giveaways deep in the LK end were absurd. (Regula wasn't awake yet.) As for the rest of the game, Brochu was hung out to dry on 3 goals.

IMO, Foudy is not the answer. Nor is trading for some top-end offensive forward.
This team needs defence. Period.

Montgomery is going to need time. He looked overwhelmed out there tonight. Roger, too. (I don't get Roger and Winslow, but I'll keep watching to see what I'm missing)
And Keane - geez, he needs to settle down and focus on the basics of his assignments. Bad decisions are putting him a step behind too often. He's better than that.

And I am embarrassed to admit that during an intermission, I actually said these words .... "Tymkin is an a** hole tonight. He's going to give Saginaw a Power Play." And sure enough, there it is. Tonight, you could see it if you were live. He was hacking behind the play, like he was itching for a fight. I'm sorry, but someone tell me why he wears an "A"? Last year he was bad for doing stupid things, without any regard for the clock or the situation. And this year is no different. Maybe he's good in the locker room, but I see no leadersip from him on the ice.

Panwar played a strong game. He needs to skate. What he may lack in hockey IQ he has in strength, speed and motivation. Good shot, too. No room for him in London to get minutes, so play him now to show him off, and then move him somewhere he can get the minutes.

Gruden is a solid player with good hands and smarts. He needs to be paired with skill players. Thought he was wasted tonight on a line with Tymkin and Dunkley. Loved the shifts when he was with McMichael and Evangelista.

Merkley is what he was advertised as - an offensive defenceman. The order of those last two words is notable.

Trade for a solid Dman. And soon.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Have we ever started really well....I think the point of the matter is regardless of it being thie year next year or the one after we will contend. I would like it to be this year as I feel the league is wide open, but its up to Mark & Dale. I mean thisis a team with 3 1st Round NHL picks...that should put you in the talk for being a contender in every game....sometimes I think we are too "fat" or not urgent enough...we have some players who are not making an impact and should be considering experience and skillset. It seems like this team needs McMichael & Stranges to a lesser extent to score. Otherwise they don't seem to have a chance.....I am not sure what to think..all I know is things will get sorted out. Go LK

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Agreed LDN, I notice as well Dale is never one afraid to juggle his lines but as PP31 said early in a season he is constantly shuffling looking for the magic between players. As long as we don’t wander to far from “500” hockey and then at the New Year and trading deadline get our act together we will be fine. As always...... Kooy is a real key at this point. He will bounce back, he will be the goalie he is capable of and we will not need to invest in any upgrading between the pipes!

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
Oh REALLY? I am pretty sure we do......

You want to address the team needs by obtaining everyone that comes along. You wanted to sign three or four guys from last spring's mini camp even though we have numerous rookies unable to get playing time as it is. Before the season started someone posted a list of players that could be available as their current teams may be in a rebuilding mode. You wanted to acquire the "big fish" right then. You have been itching to make moves right from training camp. Making snap decisions regarding something that just happened isn't a sound strategy. Lets wait to see how this roster shakes out with Cotter and how the D progresses and take if from there. Make rational assessments and informed decisions, then go forward. It's not a race, cool your jets, let it play out.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
And I am embarrassed to admit that during an intermission, I actually said these words .... "Tymkin is an a** hole tonight. He's going to give Saginaw a Power Play." And sure enough, there it is. Tonight, you could see it if you were live. He was hacking behind the play, like he was itching for a fight. I'm sorry, but someone tell me why he wears an "A"? Last year he was bad for doing stupid things, without any regard for the clock or the situation. And this year is no different. Maybe he's good in the locker room, but I see no leadersip from him on the ice.

I've been saying much the same for the last 3 years....hoping he would mature, but sadly, that doesn't look like it's ever going to happen. Sometimes I think the Hunters are loyal to a fault. Tymkin is not the type of player that should have ever been awarded a letter. Seriously, is this the example we want our young guys to learn from?

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
You want to address the team needs by obtaining everyone that comes along. You wanted to sign three or four guys from last spring's mini camp even though we have numerous rookies unable to get playing time as it is. Before the season started someone posted a list of players that could be available as their current teams may be in a rebuilding mode. You wanted to acquire the "big fish" right then. You have been itching to make moves right from training camp. Making snap decisions regarding something that just happened isn't a sound strategy. Lets wait to see how this roster shakes out with Cotter and how the D progresses and take if from there. Make rational assessments and informed decisions, then go forward. It's not a race, cool your jets, let it play out.
Okay.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I've been saying much the same for the last 3 years....hoping he would mature, but sadly, that doesn't look like it's ever going to happen. Sometimes I think the Hunters are loyal to a fault. Tymkin is not the type of player that should have ever been awarded a letter. Seriously, is this the example we want our young guys to learn from?
Moskal would have been a better choice

Reactions: KnightsWatch

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Moskal is asked to play a defensive role and take faceoffs and does it very well

understandable, however he had a offensive side in midget, juniors, its non-existent now, I think if he was on any other team he would be used more of offensive role.

Reactions: zman77

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
understandable, however he had a offensive side in midget, juniors, its non-existent now, I think if he was on any other team he would be used more of offensive role.
Sure but the Hunters feel his best assets are his defensive skills and working on that is his best chance of playing pro. But I’m sure they expected more offence our of him as well. Gripping the stick too tight right now

Reactions: zman77 and cub

Bag O Pucks

Sep 13, 2019
Sure but the Hunters feel his best assets are his defensive skills and working on that is his best chance of playing pro. But I’m sure they expected more offence our of him as well. Gripping the stick too tight right now
He was visibly frustrated several times coming off the ice at end of his shift last night.

Reactions: cub and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Tymkin is doing a lot of good things asking of by Dale and the team, it's his lousy timing of getting personal that is hurting the team the most

Anytime you add a top three player on your roster the whole team (every lines) are benefiting the offensive wave all the way down to fourth line, who ever Foudy will replace when he comes back that player will move to second line and on down every line. Foudy's speed and leader on this team is gravely missed right now

Last edited:

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
2 things.
Even with Merkley's bad penalties,this kid is an awesome Offensive talent.His rushes are amazing.The only deman we have that an do this.
He gets a pass in my book.

Tymkin has always been a loose cannon.Every shift it seems he is a ticking time bomb.No amount of coaching will ever get thru this guys thick skull.However he is one of the few NonMarshmallows on the team.
He also gets a pass.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
2 things.
Even with Merkley's bad penalties,this kid is an awesome Offensive talent.His rushes are amazing.The only deman we have that an do this.
He gets a pass in my book.

His offensive talent doesnt do jack for the club when hes sitting in the box when they need that skill the most. Giving selfish penalties a pass and not holding him accountable because he creates offense is exactly the problem with Merkely.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Foudy's speed and leader on this team is gravely missed right now

Will be a great “free” upgrade to the team for sure. Being an integral part this may also lead into the fact for the most part London has stood pat so far. As you mention his impact will affect the team significantly and needs to be understood before just cashing in picks to upgrade?

Any news is he close to returning!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
playing a shutdown role doesn’t always lead to a scoring role later on in your career. Owen MacDonald is a prime example. some guys get in that role and the dump and chase/cycle/forechecking becomes natural. some are able to build their game to play some more offence, some get put in the offensive role by default in the season after a playoff run (see all the Kitchener Rangers top scorers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad