London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
RE: Stranges...
Budding star. It would be a mistake to think he's not at the level of other 16 yr old rookies because he has less points. He doesn't get the ice time that Perfetti, Cuylle, Perreault, and others receive. Rarely sees any PP time. Hunter typically leans on his vets. I have no doubt that he'd be among the top rookies in scoring if he equalled the minutes of the leading rookie scorers. That's why I think it's not an accurate way to compare rookies. Next season, with more ice time, Stranges will put up higher numbers than most rookies who currently have more points (not unlike the sophomore season that McMichael is having).

I see him being a 1st rounder next year. Hope the leafs draft him lol

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
and the way he sees the ice is Marner esque.

Lofty comparison I like his upside as well but to offer a comparison with Marner when it comes to seeing the ice may be a bit premature. But for sure he is a talent that next year with added ice time on another deep Knight Team should shine.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights finish perfect weekend with win over Kitchener

By Mike Stubbs Reporter 980 CFPL
“We lost that game [to Guelph] on Tuesday and we knew, coming into Friday, that we needed to have a big weekend,” said Dunkley.
After beating the Spirit 4-1 and the 67’s 5-3, London had to battle after the first period in their contest against the Rangers had them down 1-0 despite outshooting Kitchener 14-4.
“We came out flying and we got a lot of chances right away, and they were going in the net,” admitted Dunkley. “I think when we came into the locker room after the first period, we all decided we needed to step it up, and I think that’s what we did.”

rukh

Jan 9, 2009
London, Ontario

By Mike Stubbs Reporter 980 CFPL
“We lost that game [to Guelph] on Tuesday and we knew, coming into Friday, that we needed to have a big weekend,” said Dunkley.
After beating the Spirit 4-1 and the 67’s 5-3, London had to battle after the first period in their contest against the Rangers had them down 1-0 despite outshooting Kitchener 14-4.
“We came out flying and we got a lot of chances right away, and they were going in the net,” admitted Dunkley. “I think when we came into the locker room after the first period, we all decided we needed to step it up, and I think that’s what we did.”

They did need a big weekend after that no-show against Guelph.

Here's hoping Kooy is okay. I'd like to see Raaymakers get a bit more of a break if he's gonna be the horse in the playoffs.

Reactions: STS

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
RE: Stranges...
Budding star. It would be a mistake to think he's not at the level of other 16 yr old rookies because he has less points. He doesn't get the ice time that Perfetti, Cuylle, Perreault, and others receive. Rarely sees any PP time. Hunter typically leans on his vets. I have no doubt that he'd be among the top rookies in scoring if he equalled the minutes of the leading rookie scorers. That's why I think it's not an accurate way to compare rookies. Next season, with more ice time, Stranges will put up higher numbers than most rookies who currently have more points (not unlike the sophomore season that McMichael is having).
Hi nelli. I think young Stranges is probably the best skater I have seen in a while. Skates very much like Bracco. He certainly will be a star in this league. Man when he turns his skates out like Bracco he generates a ton of speed and it's almost deceiving because he moves so fast it's hard for an opponent to properly cover him. Bracco is leading the AHL in assist and I think it's because of his skating style.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I believe it was during the 2005 playoffs. Rangers beat London at the Aud and during the televised post game press conference on Rogers, a visibly pissed Dale Hunter answered every question with, "You work hard. You play Hard" then, "You play hard. You work hard." It didn't matter what the question was. He alternated back and forth with every question.

If I remember correctly, Branch warned him that in the future he was to conduct himself more professionally during press conferences citing "growing the game" yadda yadda yadda. It's obvious fines would have been levied and to my knowledge,Dale never conducted himself that way in any other interview since.

Also, I believe the league also had to get after him regarding those sportsnet "on the bench" interviews during games. Dale wanted nothing to do either them and had the interviewer talk to an assistant.

Then all of a sudden, Dale started doing interviews. Apparently, he was talked to by Branch. Likely that the public wants to hear from the winningest coach who is one of the most popular faces of the league, etc etc.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hi nelli. I think young Stranges is probably the best skater I have seen in a while. Skates very much like Bracco. He certainly will be a star in this league. Man when he turns his skates out like Bracco he generates a ton of speed and it's almost deceiving because he moves so fast it's hard for an opponent to properly cover him. Bracco is leading the AHL in assist and I think it's because of his skating style.

Bracco for sure. Jeff Skinner was the first I remember with that skating style.

Reactions: LDN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Stats: London Knights
Kevin Hancock:
Since coming to London Hancock is 72% on FO's...........72/99 Wins.
Paul Cotter:.......... 61.9% on FO's
Billy Moskal:......... 59.5% on FO's
McMichael:........... 54.8% on FO's.
Liam Foudy:......... 53.9% on FO's.
Nathan Dunkley:52.9% on FO's.
Of Dunkely's 20 Goal only 3 are PP Goals.............impressive.

Knights: +/-
Dunkley.............+28.........6th place
Bouchard..........+23.........11th place
Lochead.............+23.........11thplace
Regula................+21...........13th place
Foudy..................+20.........17th place
Moskal................+17...........23rd place
Guskove..............+16.........28th place
Keane J...............+ 16........28th place
McMichael...........+15......33rd place
Stranges..............+11.........56th place
Coome.................+10........64th place

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
They did need a big weekend after that no-show against Guelph.

Here's hoping Kooy is okay. I'd like to see Raaymakers get a bit more of a break if he's gonna be the horse in the playoffs.

They did show up in the Guelph game and were leading right up to the third period, they only missed in action for only about 10mi. They've actually outscored and outplayed them for the other 50mi of the game, although they loss that game there were some positives that came out of it for the Knights

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
They did show up in the Guelph game and were leading right up to the third period, they only missed in action for only about 10mi. They've actually outscored and outplayed them for the other 50mi of the game, although they loss that game there were some positives that came out of it for the Knights

Pulling Raaymakers after the 4-3 go ahead goal by Guelph was a mistake. It did not motive the team and Kooy was not sharp.

rukh

Jan 9, 2009
London, Ontario

Guess we can agree to disagree...I actually thought they were lucky to be ahead going into the 3rd...some pretty terrible giveaways and Raaymakers kept them in it. I thought Guelph fully deserved that game, and the result was reflective of the play. I actually thought Raaymakers got the hook because Dale wanted to wake the boys up.

Regardless, a great weekend. Here's hoping they can duplicate that on the road this week.

Reactions: KnightWatch

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I believe it was during the 2005 playoffs. Rangers beat London at the Aud and during the televised post game press conference on Rogers, a visibly pissed Dale Hunter answered every question with, "You work hard. You play Hard" then, "You play hard. You work hard." It didn't matter what the question was. He alternated back and forth with every question.

If I remember correctly, Branch warned him that in the future he was to conduct himself more professionally during press conferences citing "growing the game" yadda yadda yadda. It's obvious fines would have been levied and to my knowledge,Dale never conducted himself that way in any other interview since.

Also, I believe the league also had to get after him regarding those sportsnet "on the bench" interviews during games. Dale wanted nothing to do either them and had the interviewer talk to an assistant.

Then all of a sudden, Dale started doing interviews. Apparently, he was talked to by Branch. Likely that the public wants to hear from the winningest coach who is one of the most popular faces of the league, etc etc.

I am afraid you are quite incorrect about any of Dale's past interviews, he's never been comfortable with them and it goes all the way down to his playing days in the NHL it was never a secret he didn't like them. What made Branch upset about and he had Dale fined was his standing on the bench mocking the referee's works, one in particular I think it was a Brad Beer's game, it came in a game at Guelph in 2003-04 or 2004-05

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Guess we can agree to disagree...I actually thought they were lucky to be ahead going into the 3rd...some pretty terrible giveaways and Raaymakers kept them in it. I thought Guelph fully deserved that game, and the result was reflective of the play. I actually thought Raaymakers got the hook because Dale wanted to wake the boys up.

Regardless, a great weekend. Here's hoping they can duplicate that on the road this week.

I totally agree with you, we do agree to disagree

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Whenever I describe his skating to others who haven't seen him play, I usually compare it to Bracco's style. Ranger fans quite used to it (also Skinner). Spooner another who comes to mind.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Lol! Some say Dale Hunter does not have a "first" language! Not the most articulate speaker, a good (not great) coach. Pete Deboer a great junior coach.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Pulling Raaymakers after the 4-3 go ahead goal by Guelph was a mistake. It did not motive the team and Kooy was not sharp.

Of course it's very easy to second guess after the fact a coach's move, I keep on repeating that this is a team game not a goalie or one player's game. Regardless who made the mistake last everyone had their responsibilities that led to that one mistake, one for all and all for one, if your team believe in that concept it would also mean they have a structured team system .

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
ya ya Nelli................Antonio Stranges is an Elite Skater.
The style of skating is known as 'Open Hip Skating' aka as 'The Crosby Style.'
Sidney Crosby made this style famous where he becomes very elusive with the puck.

Reactions: nelli27 and rukh

rukh

Jan 9, 2009
London, Ontario
Of course it's very easy to second guess after the fact a coach's move, I keep on repeating that this is a team game not a goalie or one player's game. Regardless who made the mistake last everyone had their responsibilities that led to that one mistake, one for all and all for one, if your team believe in that concept it would also mean they have a structured team system .

Of course it is a team game...however, if Bouchard gives the puck away on a terrible pass, and the other team scores immediately off of it...that's on Bouchard. I think you can say it's a team game, while still holding particular players accountable. Same for the coaching staff or management or whomever.

Reactions: aresknights

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I am afraid you are quite incorrect about any of Dale's past interviews, he's never been comfortable with them and it goes all the way down his to playing days in the NHL it was never a secret he didn't like them. What made Branch upset about and he had Dale fined was his standing on the bench mocking the referee's works, one in particular I think it was a Brad Beer's game, it came in a game at Guelph in 2003-04 or 2004-05

I never said he was comfortable doing interviews. Just answering the play hard, work hard question.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Whenever I describe his skating to others who haven't seen him play, I usually compare it to Bracco's style. Ranger fans quite used to it (also Skinner). Spooner another who comes to mind.
Skinner was a champion figure skater when younger. I think Bracco took figure skating along with Baby Joe here in KW. Wonder if Stanges did also. I was shocked the first time I saw him turn his blades out like he does. Looked just like Bracco. Amazing. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad