London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Today the Reffing was not good. Normally I'm ok with the OHL Refs.
Not today. They missed a lot and didn't assert themselves on real penalties.
imho:
I like speed and skill.
2 players I like up front are the following:

#1 Ty Dellandrea

6' 1" 191 lbs/
Centre: Shoots Right
Very good skater, playmaker, good on FO's, plays a 200' game.
Good chance he returns as a 19 year old.

#2 Brett Neumann
Only 5' 8" but tough and an excellent skater.
Centre: Shoots Right
Excellent skater, quick, very hard worker, good on FO's and also plays a 200' game.
11th in scoring in the OHL.
He's 19 years old and would be an excellent OA next season.

Both players play the Knight's way with speed, skill, endurance, high IQ and all situations.
Toughness is one thing, but speed and skill with some grit trumps every time.
Both players can play any position on the forward line.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights extend win streak to 14, but Sting doesn't make it easy

Paul Vanderhoeven
Updated: December 2, 2018
Adam Boqvist unleashed an avalanche of 8,763 teddy bears and gave the Knights the spark they needed in a 6-3 win over the Sarnia Sting Sunday afternoon at Budweiser Gardens.
The Swedish defenceman came in on the rush and flipped a backhand past Sting goalie Ethan Longevin at 16:55 of the first period after a slow start from the Knights.
“It was amazing to see all the teddy bears come down,” the Chicago Blackhawks first-round pick said.
“In Sweden, I almost join the rush every shift, but it’s different playing on the smaller ice and you need to read the play better. I feel more comfortable now to know when I can go and when I can’t go.”
The Knights extended their winning streak to 14 games, but the Sting weren’t making it easy.
Sarnia evened it up when right-wing Sean Josling won a battle behind the Knights net and sent the puck to centre Franco Sproviero, who wired a one-timer by Joseph Raaymakers with 39 seconds left in the opening period.
“It was definitely a slow start,” Knights centre Liam Foudy said. “I don’t think we were that prepared for the game. It was a pretty slow first period for us. We were missing some passes, but things started clicking as the game went on.”
Foudy put London back ahead on a perfectly placed pass from Alex Formenton about six minutes into the middle frame and Josh Nelson put the Knights up 3-1 on a goal set up by nifty no-look backhand pass from Dalton Duhart at 10:57 of the second.
Boqvist said the Knights found their rhythm in the second period, only to stumble early in the third and let the Sting back in the game.
“I think we can do better,” he said. “We left Raaymakers a little bit alone there.”
Sting centre Ryan McGregor scored 17 seconds into the final period beating Raaymakers on a breakaway and Sproviero scored his second goal of the game on a backhand to tie the game 3-3 at 6:36 of the third.
The Knights regained the lead when Antonio Stranges fired a bullet over Langevin’s shoulder at 12:37 and Evan Bouchard put London ahead by two on a breakaway with just under six minutes left in the game.
“We weren’t too focused,” Foudy said. “We were trying to do our best, but it’s not every time you are going to get a great start and put the puck in the net.
“Near the end, we were just able to . . . get our chances and score and get away with the win.”
Sarnia coach Derian Hatcher was pleased with the way his team battled, but he wishes the 13-14-1-1 Sting could play with the intensity they bring to Budweiser Gardens in every game.
“I thought we played well. We did a lot of good things,” he said. “We were right there. We were tied with about 10 minutes left in the game. If we play like that every game we’ll win a lot of games.
“They know who we are playing. It’s a rivalry. That drive, that motivation, we just need to play like that on a more consistent basis.”
Alec Regula added an empty-net goal for the Knights with 5.2 seconds left.
Knights extend win streak to 14, but Sting doesn't make it easy

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If we're bringing in a defenceman, I'd like to see a LHD with at least 2 years left in the O.

Next year we'll have a stacked forward group, but the blue line looks thin. Regula is the only guy in this year's top 4 that will return. After that there's Perrott, who is struggling, Keane, and then a bunch of question marks.

Who's going to play on the left next year?
Didn't you ask the same question last year, and the year before?

Reactions: LDN

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Curious - why do you have Dellandrea over Hayton?
Simply....one word: character. Not to take anything away from Hayton, but, IMO, from watching Ty play the kid is gritty, skilled and gives it his all even on a crappy team. I think you could slot him onto this team and he would fit in perfectly. Plus he’s probably a two-year guy so henwoildn’t Be just a rental and could help us next year on what should still be a pretty stacked team.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Shockingly..Timms isn't on it. Not that I wouldn't move him if someone inquired about him

To me guys like Turko and Nelson are too valuable to move. You have to have role players in your lineup and both of them own their roles on this team. Are they replaceable? ...every player is to some extent..but I don't see others on our depth chart able to wrestle the role those 2 players play away from them

Dellandrea is still #1 on my want list
Agreed!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Simply....one word: character. Not to take anything away from Hayton, but, IMO, from watching Ty play the kid is gritty, skilled and gives it his all even on a crappy team. I think you could slot him onto this team and he would fit in perfectly. Plus he’s probably a two-year guy so henwoildn’t Be just a rental and could help us next year on what should still be a pretty stacked team.

Why would you think Hayton doeant have character?

Hayton carried the SSM last year in tbe POs outperformed the vets easy.(Frost/Rads ect...). I wouldnt question his character after he stepped up last year. Kid was a beast in POs, unlike a couple other Fs on that team.
Id taget Ty, I agree with you, but only because of cost and term.
Only going on last years POs, Hayton comes to play when going gets tough.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Why would you think Hayton doeant have character?

Hayton carried the SSM last year in tbe POs outperformed the vets easy.(Frost/Rads ect...). I wouldnt question his character after he stepped up last year. Kid was a beast in POs, unlike a couple other Fs on that team.
Id taget Ty, I agree with you, but only because of cost and term.
Only going on last years POs, Hayton comes to play when going gets tough.
Let me re-phrase. Both kids are great players but I think Dellandrea has more 'grit'than Hayton. The kid has performed the last few years under poor playing conditions in Flint but still plays his heart out game in and game out. Adversity has brought out something special with this kid. Hayton has never experienced any adversity.
That being said, I would love to have them both...but Ty would still be my first choice,

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
I'd list my expendables, but it would probably come off as me trashing said players in some people's eyes. So I'll refrain
Totally understand. My expendable list is by no means meat to be a "trash list":
Nelson and Duhart: solid players that could be top 6 on some teams.
Popov and Coome: good players that need more ice time.
Golden/Perrot: need a change of scenery to boost their play (possibly)
Timms: well Timms is Timms.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
You are entitled to your opinion.
You are entitled to your opinion. Both good players but I’d always choose the guy who has played (and was arguably one of the team’s MVP) in 20+ playoff games in the league vs none. When I picture character, I picture Hayton. The only reason I’d maybe have Dellandrea ahead of Hayton is price and duration (I doubt Hayton will be in the O next year)

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
You are entitled to your opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion. Both good players but I’d always choose the guy who has played (and was arguably one of the team’s MVP) in 20+ playoff games in the league vs none. When I picture character, I picture Hayton. The only reason I’d maybe have Dellandrea ahead of Hayton is price and duration (I doubt Hayton will be in the O next year)

IMO, I just don't think Hayton would be happy with second or third line minutes.
My first choice is still Ty because I don't think he would mess with the team chemistry too much. That and what you said....price and probably going to be back next year. We don't need a superstar at this point.... just reinforcements.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
IMO, I just don't think Hayton would be happy with second or third line minutes.
My first choice is still Ty because I don't think he would mess with the team chemistry too much. That and what you said....price and probably going to be back next year. We don't need a superstar at this point.... just reinforcements.

Couldn't agree more. If a trade were to happen, I'd would pick Ty, too. Kid is a workaholic and wouldn't take-away from the locker-room, but would add a great presence. He's a humble guy that even with Flint is always smiling. It's not a fluke he went high in the draft last year. I even said it before the draft that he was underrated.

Couldn't agree more. If a trade were to happen, I'd would pick Ty, too. Kid is a workaholic and wouldn't take-away from the locker-room, but would add a great presence. He's a humble guy that even with Flint is always smiling. It's not a fluke he went high in the draft last year. I even said it before the draft that he was underrated.
We already have arguably the most underrated player in the league on our roster in Dunkley. Might as well add another that seemingly flies under a lot of people's radar. Dellandrea is about as complete a player as you can get in the OHL right now.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Well said. Not taking anything away from Hayton, but I believe that Ty would be a better fit. Not to mention how happy he would be to leave that sh*t show in Flint and play for a contender.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kooy should be there. For experience
Future starter a head of Jones

There was no way Scott, Villalta and DiPietro should not have been there. The real question is whether Scott or DiPietro should be the starter, because Scott has easily been the best goalie this year, but DiPietro has the track record behind him.

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad