London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Why were the GMs fired?. Go back to when this comp stuff started. If its directly related to taking those picks and nothing else Im wrong.
But 80 % of GMs are probly turned over without the rule ;)
Its worked out for some, not for others, wait n see on the recents. Just like any moves GMs make.

I like aggressive GMs that take calculated risks. Are u suggesting because its there jobs on the line they all be conservative?
Just like coaches, most run a cycle in minors or pros. Thats why the 80% flip in 6/7 years.

There's a difference between being conservative and calculated risks. I don't believe every GM is horrible at trades. I believe some GM's are horrible at trades to make up for not being strong at drafting therefore they have to make up for it in other areas. Most GM's move on it's not always a promotion for example a guy like Drinkill or Sinclair if their teams continue to flounder would still find a job in hockey.

I think a GM like DeGray is conservative you rarely see them make splashes in the summer or at the deadline. Yet they have probably been the best drafting team in the past 4 years. Conservative isn't bad, in fact as a Windsor fan I would take extremely conservative over what I've seen recently.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
There's a difference between being conservative and calculated risks. I don't believe every GM is horrible at trades. I believe some GM's are horrible at trades to make up for not being strong at drafting therefore they have to make up for it in other areas. Most GM's move on it's not always a promotion for example a guy like Drinkill or Sinclair if their teams continue to flounder would still find a job in hockey.

I think a GM like DeGray is conservative you rarely see them make splashes in the summer or at the deadline. Yet they have probably been the best drafting team in the past 4 years. Conservative isn't bad, in fact as a Windsor fan I would take extremely conservative over what I've seen recently.

He trades well also ;)

By aggressive I mean going after what you covet. Draft, trades ect.. Or holding tight when you believe thats right.

Was DeGray the GM when Mete was selected or his predecessor? Im not sure. But that was an aggressive move.
So was holding out for Platzer and Centorame in exchange for Smith. Great value, big trade.
Just not sure the timeline.

OS present team has plenty of players acquired with moves. Cordell was targeted and they got the piece they wanted n needed. That to me is aggressive management. They don't get both Phillups and Suzuki without drafting Mete. A calculated gamble and good risk.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
He trades well also ;)

By aggressive I mean going after what you covet. Draft, trades ect.. Or holding tight when you believe thats right.

Was DeGray the GM when Mete was selected or his predecessor? Im not sure. But that was an aggressive move.
So was holding out for Platzer and Centorame in exchange for Smith. Great value, big trade.
Just not sure the timeline.

OS present team has plenty of players acquired with moves. Cordell was targeted and they got the piece they wanted n needed. That to me is aggressive management. They don't get both Phillups and Suzuki without drafting Mete. A calculated gamble and good risk.

DeGray has been GM since 2007. I was going to mention the things you have. He certainly knows how to add value to his team, which is what a good GM is all about.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Why though. Erie is a transplanted team with no roots in Erie at all...hell they used to be the Windsor Spitfires at one time. Did you hate London before you had an OHL team?....Before the last 3 or 4 years? The "rivalry" is based on what...3 or 4 years tops? Like I said before...I don't even consider Erie in my top 5 for "true rivals" of the Knights. There just isn't enough history between the 2 franchises past the last 3 years. Could that change?...sure it could...in 10 maybe 15 years if they both stay as competitive. Do I like beating the Otters...damn straight...I like curb stomping any team. But to me it just means more beating Kitchener or Windsor..or even The Soo. They've just been around longer and I can relate to the battles of my youth. I guess if You're a new fan of the OHL and it's all you got..might as well grasp something.

Erie fans always need a villain. The Erie Blades used to play the Johnstown Chiefs, I was a kid & my parents refused to take us to any hockey games (even though I was delivered by the owner) & wouldn't let me play as a kid, KNEW I'd be in a fight every game. Those Blade games probably inspired the fight with the crowd scene in Slapshot-Erie actually probably entered the league around the time the movie came out so obviously that is a joke.

Erie fans always need a villain. The Erie Blades used to play the Johnstown Chiefs, I was a kid & my parents refused to take us to any hockey games (even though I was delivered by the owner) & wouldn't let me play as a kid, KNEW I'd be in a fight every game. Those Blade games probably inspired the fight with the crowd scene in Slapshot-Erie actually probably entered the league around the time the movie came out so obviously that is a joke.

I understand the good vs evil persona you're trying to spin. But in every good vs evil scenario throughout history..when the evil is defeated and the town is saved, the hero doesn't then turn around and torch the town. ;)

The only people these "fans" in Erie are giving a bad name to...is themselves. Definitely not something to be proud of. Part and parcel the main reason I detest the Maple Leafs fan base which essentially is my "home" fan base geographically for the NHL.

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I understand the good vs evil persona you're trying to spin. But in every good vs evil scenario throughout history..when the evil is defeated and the town is saved, the hero doesn't then turn around and torch the town. ;)

The only people these "fans" in Erie are giving a bad name to...is themselves. Definitely not something to be proud of. Part and parcel the main reason I detest the Maple Leafs fan base which essentially is my "home" fan base geographically for the NHL.

Did you happen to watch that video about Erie? The Tourism group is trying to make it & another one "go away"/counter it. Lots of angry & bitter people here.

I understand your point of view, agree to disagree. I think it will be a little less "disrespectful" moving forward. Maybe it's because we can hear FM 96 over here? Maybe it's the stories of bars in London playing Erie's city & county council meetings in them for "entertainment"? The fan base has a big problem with London. This is the first time Erie has met OS in the playoffs, we shall see how it goes. Some will have to check their "wing nut" at the door. Lots of Cleveland, Pittsburgh & Philly fans here, I think most of the ones you are having a problem with are Cleveland & Philly fans. I imagine you think they're Pittsburgh fans, all good, just opinion.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
that's one lol I wonder who else will be heading to London. One I am hoping for is Brady Tkachuk

Interesting to see what Brady does next season. Misses the cutoff for this years NHL draft by 1 day. So probably either USHL or hopefully London. He'll play only 1 year at BU if he goes as I'm sure he'll be a first round pick.

Nice to hear that about Perrott. Hope he can throw bombs like his old man did! :yo:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Did you happen to watch that video about Erie? The Tourism group is trying to make it & another one "go away"/counter it. Lots of angry & bitter people here.

I understand your point of view, agree to disagree. I think it will be a little less "disrespectful" moving forward. Maybe it's because we can hear FM 96 over here? Maybe it's the stories of bars in London playing Erie's city & county council meetings in them for "entertainment"? The fan base has a big problem with London. This is the first time Erie has met OS in the playoffs, we shall see how it goes. Some will have to check their "wing nut" at the door. Lots of Cleveland, Pittsburgh & Philly fans here, I think most of the ones you are having a problem with are Cleveland & Philly fans. I imagine you think they're Pittsburgh fans, all good, just opinion.

I don't think things were as bad as some make it out to be at the Erie games. We watch a couple this season and were surprised at the how the fans participated in the music between periods up dancing together doing the "Macarena". They were certainly having a fun time. Every city has some fans that act out with a few beers in them especially in the play offs. They gave out cow bells to get the crowd into the games and make some noise. Every team does something. We were given plastic clappers and towels on occasion. Not many teams hand out halos in the play offs.:)

CouchCoach44

May 9, 2015
Brady with 3A yesterday in 1/4s
6pts in 5 games
Dhooghe with 7pts in 5 games
both sure would be nice adds

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
It's shaping up to be a very young team for next season if all these players mentioned above signs on !!

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Brady with 3A yesterday in 1/4s
6pts in 5 games
Dhooghe with 7pts in 5 games
both sure would be nice adds

I don't see Dhooghe ever signing with London even though he would be great in the OHL.
At 5'3 he's going to play 4 years at Wisconsin and even then he might not even get a pro deal.
Tkachuk on the other hand might end up being a 1st round pick in 2018.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I don't see Dhooghe ever signing with London even though he would be great in the OHL.
At 5'3 he's going to play 4 years at Wisconsin and even then he might not even get a pro deal.

OHL is exactly where Dhooghe should be if he wants to pursue a Pro career, the CHL is as close as you can get in term of long rugged season and game style. He will not get the same look from NHL teams at Wisconsin because his size would not do justice for him at that level, he has to go where the actions is to really get noticed, like Debrincat did !!!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don't think things were as bad as some make it out to be at the Erie games. We watch a couple this season and were surprised at the how the fans participated in the music between periods up dancing together doing the "Macarena". They were certainly having a fun time. Every city has some fans that act out with a few beers in them especially in the play offs. They gave out cow bells to get the crowd into the games and make some noise. Every team does something. We were given plastic clappers and towels on occasion. Not many teams hand out halos in the play offs.:)

Question: Did you actually see the games in the last series?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Brady would be the 'big catch', no doubt. A few flyers in this draft, Vlasic, Cameron Rowe--likely won't know their destination (OHL vs NCAA) for at least a year.

Knights will lose their three hardest working players...Piccinich, MacDonald, and Parsons--the graduation of the latter being the biggest pill to swallow. Best of luck to all of them in their future endeavours.
I don't know if Jones will stick with Anaheim or be returned to London, and to be honest, I really don't care...I became a huge Max Jones fan after his 'coming out party' against Sarnia last year--you remember, he scored both OT goals in the New Year's home and home against the Sting making Chychrun look like a Jr. B player. But I don't have the same high esteem for him as I do for other Knights (Horvat, Tkachuk, Marner, Parsons, to mention only a few).
Goal will be the big question mark. Hope Kooy avoids the sophomore jinx, and builds on his stellar rookie performance. Johnson...let's see what he can do--but I'm not a fan.
Pu--as I mentioned before is a very good player, but he's not the dynamic player that we're used to having here in London on our top line.
Thomas--I think he'll have a great year.
Foudy--He should grow/fill out over the summer, and be in our top 6.
We should return 4 d-men: Bouchard, Mete, Crawley (OA), Mattinen. [Juolevi ??? Isn't he AHL eligible? If so, he'll play pro next season.]
Hope we hit a home run in the Import draft. Kuokkanen was another very good selection.
Dhooge??? Any player who Erlich could skate up to, and say "hey, shortie, how's it going?" likely shouldn't be in the OHL. He would draw a lot of penalties though for head checking.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Brady would be the 'big catch', no doubt. A few flyers in this draft, Vlasic, Cameron Rowe--likely won't know their destination (OHL vs NCAA) for at least a year.

Knights will lose their three hardest working players...Piccinich, MacDonald, and Parsons--the graduation of the latter being the biggest pill to swallow. Best of luck to all of them in their future endeavours.
I don't know if Jones will stick with Anaheim or be returned to London, and to be honest, I really don't care...I became a huge Max Jones fan after his 'coming out party' against Sarnia last year--you remember, he scored both OT goals in the New Year's home and home against the Sting making Chychrun look like a Jr. B player. But I don't have the same high esteem for him as I do for other Knights (Horvat, Tkachuk, Marner, Parsons, to mention only a few).
Goal will be the big question mark. Hope Kooy avoids the sophomore jinx, and builds on his stellar rookie performance. Johnson...let's see what he can do--but I'm not a fan.
Pu--as I mentioned before is a very good player, but he's not the dynamic player that we're used to having here in London on our top line.
Thomas--I think he'll have a great year.
Foudy--He should grow/fill out over the summer, and be in our top 6.
We should return 4 d-men: Bouchard, Mete, Crawley (OA), Mattinen. [Juolevi ??? Isn't he AHL eligible? If so, he'll play pro next season.]
Hope we hit a home run in the Import draft. Kuokkanen was another very good selection.
Dhooge??? Any player who Erlich could skate up to, and say "hey, shortie, how's it going?" likely shouldn't be in the OHL. He would draw a lot of penalties though for head checking.

Very good post ! - For the most part I agree with what you said aside from Dhooge where I believe the league have rules in place to accommodate a player the size of Dhooge, beside there will never be a high stick call against him and all his high deflections on net would be legal l!!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

This is what Im thinking as well.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I liked what I've seen from Kooy. I'm very confident he will earn his way into the Knights starting job early next season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I liked what I've seen from Kooy. I'm very confident he will earn his way into the Knights starting job early next season.

Agreed the kid never seemed to get rattled even in the big games that he did play against the big teams. Like Parsons he seemed totally oblivious of the goal that got past him, immediately focussed on the next shot. I am not real jazzed about the back up options however, but in fairness everyone knew this was Parsons Team so that can impact some players?

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Have the Knights said when they're having their spring mini-camp?

It was last weekend. Not much fanfare, overshadowed by the playoffs I guess.

Didn't get a chance to go, but I hear the top 3 picks were there. (Rowe, Perrott and Duhart)
The other interesting name there I thought was Williams, the goalie from St Louis. He would be a year or 2 away I imagine, but glad to see he came to the camp.
The Knights look to have a nice pipeline of young talent in goal coming up with Kooy, Say, possibly Williams and maybe Rowe down the road as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad