London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Not winning the Memorial Cup this year didn't suck as bad as not winning in 2012. That was a Memorial Cup calibre team. This years was not. The goalie was however.

Parsons is part of the team, though!

I don't follow the Knights closely, but just glancing at the stats, I see that the 2011-12 Knights had a +99 GD, while this year's team was +95 and generally considered to be underperforming. They finished with the same number of points. Unless you think the league is appreciably weaker this year than it was in 2012 (I'd actually argue the opposite), then I think this is a bit of a hard sell.

Put the 2011-2012 Knights in the 2016-2017 Western Conference and they have a whale of a time winning the league, too.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Congrats to the team you showed great fight to the end. Congrats to Erie and good luck the rest of the way. Represent the OHL West to the best of you ability Gents!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I would have liked this post to be in the Erie thread but it no works for me? Erie displayed great confidence, stuck to their game plan and were by far the better team. If not for Parsons this is probably a 5 game series that nobody would remember. Saying that good luck I think you will find OS an easier run as the scary part about OS is I think next year is probably their year. Yes McNiven will be gone (most likely) but their star players for the most part all return. Should be a great series though I am going with Erie in six.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Parsons is part of the team, though!

I don't follow the Knights closely, but just glancing at the stats, I see that the 2011-12 Knights had a +99 GD, while this year's team was +95 and generally considered to be underperforming. They finished with the same number of points. Unless you think the league is appreciably weaker this year than it was in 2012 (I'd actually argue the opposite), then I think this is a bit of a hard sell.

Put the 2011-2012 Knights in the 2016-2017 Western Conference and they have a whale of a time winning the league, too.

Difference being almost all of that 2012 team stepped up their play in the playoffs and Memorial Cup. This year, half the team no showed in the playoffs. London was the best team in Shawinigan, they just couldn't bury the biscuit in that final game.
2012 team would smoke this years edition IMO.

However, I'm not here to criticize. The boys did a hell of a job to take the top team in the country to the very limit. If the Knights had gotten the players back that Erie did, it's a different story.

Parsons gets my vote as best goalie in Knights history. With respect going to Houser, Mason, Dennis, Chiarello and Brathwaite. (Sorry, any others were before my time :) ) He will be missed, but hoping Johnson can lead what should be a strong team next year.

Last edited:

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I'm not entirely convinced we've seen the last of our 2 Finns here in London. Both just finished their draft +1 seasons, so both could be back. I know Kuokkanen has AHL eligibility. I really enjoyed watching Janne use the one timer to success on the PP. The Knights could really learn from that, too often they wait too long to shoot it. If he returns, 40+ goals could be realistic IMO.
And as we all know here, Thomas should have a huge season next year.

With the departure of Salituro and Piccinich and the expected return of Miletic and Jones, RW will be the most pressing need. That should be addressed in the Import Draft if either Finn is not back.

Jones - Pu -
Miletic - Thomas -
Formenton - Foudy - Carbonara
Moskal - Rowe - Tymkin

Mete - Mattinen
Crawley - Bouchard
Golden - Perrott

Johnson
Kooy

Not too many holes to fill. The biggest questions will be the return of the 2 Finns and whether they can get Brady Tkachuk to come here.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Difference being almost all of that 2012 team stepped up their play in the playoffs and Memorial Cup. This year, half the team no showed in the playoffs. London was the best team in Shawinigan, they just couldn't bury the biscuit in that final game.

However, I'm not here to criticize. The boys did a hell of a job to take the top team in the country to the very limit. If the Knights had gotten the players back that Erie did, it's a different story.

Parsons gets my vote as best goalie in Knights history. With respect going to Houser, Mason, Dennis, Chiarello and Brathwaite. (Sorry, any others were before my time :) ) He will be missed, but hoping Johnson can lead what should be a strong team next year.

I am in total agreement, good post. Pat Riggin was special too in his time when he too carried the Knights to the finals.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
For sure Parsons is special and in the land of the Knights will be remembered. I struggle with names but there was a kid in Kitchener that now plays in Anaheim that was very special as well. He was an American........Gibson last name? Memory serves me correctly they just about knocked out a London Team that was far superior, kinda like the Erie series just passed.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Your team had a good run.
Especially on a semi rebuild year.
Congratulations.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Your team had a good run.
Especially on a semi rebuild year.
Congratulations.

Cheers,...... it still feels a little hollow as all the talent they brought in felt like we should have accomplished more. I think our downfall was that we had to add to many pieces to catchup to Erie. If you only need to add a piece or two you are ok but we overhauled the face of the team and it didn't quite work out. I think a similar issue played out in Windsor where the team never really came together? Hey how about a best of seven "401 West" battle to keep the Spits sharp? In a make believe world that would be great but in reality the boys would probably try and kill one another?

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Max Jones will play in the NHL next year. Anaheim is a cap heavy team will lack of depth on the wings on the 3rd/4th line. Jones has NHL speed, physicality and 3rd line skill. He will at least get the 9 game test, if he does decent, expect him in the NHL next year. The Ducks love young kids who can crash and bang with some goal scoring touch aka Nick Ritchie.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Steelman!!
Max Jones need to play in the NHL next season for his own good and the Ducks.
He's a big strong guy with skill and a huge passion to win.
Jonesy will fit in much better as an NHLer.
He is a Man amongst Boys!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Koukkannen is as good as gone ( hes signed and is ready for the AHL) and Id def lean Jones is gone as well.
Same old same old in London ;)

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Correct me if I am wrong but there's no guarantee that Parson's is gone. It would be only the second season from his draft year though he is 20 by mid September. Plus Calgary doesn't have an ECHL team I believe and a glut of goalies.

Elliott and Johnson are UFA's but likely guaranteed that Calgary would sign a starter or re-sign Elliott. Calgary also has Gillies, Rittich (RFA but likely re-signed) and McDonald who are good and/or young goalies. McCollum who is signed for next year as well and Schnieder in Medicine Hat but believe he can go back as an OA.

Most likely chance of Parson's going into the A is with Rittich as his partner, Gillies as back up and then Calgary loaning/trading McDonald/McCollum.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Happy to see the kind posts both ways fron Otter/Knights fans. Definitely respect for each others organizations.
It was a heck of a series and was decided by a "next goal " wins.

I too love the traditional hand shakes at the end and wish they were shown.

London is obviously still in one Spits fans head reading the Erie board.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong but there's no guarantee that Parson's is gone. It would be only the second season from his draft year though he is 20 by mid September. Plus Calgary doesn't have an ECHL team I believe and a glut of goalies.

Elliott and Johnson are UFA's but likely guaranteed that Calgary would sign a starter or re-sign Elliott. Calgary also has Gillies, Rittich (RFA but likely re-signed) and McDonald who are good and/or young goalies. McCollum who is signed for next year as well and Schnieder in Medicine Hat but believe he can go back as an OA.

Most likely chance of Parson's going into the A is with Rittich as his partner, Gillies as back up and then Calgary loaning/trading McDonald/McCollum.

Calgary ECHL team in Glenn Fall NY Parson all but gone

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Their ECHL affiliate is the Adirondack Thunder.

Calgary is a bit crowded in net but I would be shocked if Parsons came back as an OA. He's just too good and he's ready for a new challenge, professional hockey.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

Fair enough! The 2012 Knights dominated a pretty good Ice Dogs team in the final. I'd take the big five this year over pretty well anyone else in that bracket, though.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I have stated previously as many others have.. that there are bad eggs in every arena, and the fan base of an organization shouldn't be judged by a few bad seeds, however during this series it certainly came across that there was a very large group of Otters fans that acted rather inappropriate, with that it's hard not to label the entire fan base.

I have to wonder what the Erie Chamber of Commerce thinks about all of this. With a depressed economy it doesn't bode well for tourism to say you "hate" the 400,000 people in our region. It's certainly not inviting. In contrast you have a team like Saginaw, with a similar economy and attendance issues as the Otters, and they send a group out to road games to promote tourism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stated previously as many others have.. that there are bad eggs in every arena, and the fan base of an organization shouldn't be judged by a few bad seeds, however during this series it certainly came across that there was a very large group of Otters fans that acted rather inappropriate, with that it's hard not to label the entire fan base.

I have to wonder what the Erie Chamber of Commerce thinks about all of this. With a depressed economy it doesn't bode well for tourism to say you "hate" the 400,000 people in our region. It's certainly not inviting. In contrast you have a team like Saginaw, with a similar economy and attendance issues as the Otters, and they send a group out to road games to promote tourism.
What I saw on display in the televised games from Erie this season and the last 2 times we've met in the playoffs has made me do more than label the entire fan base. If the shoe fits.

as for the guy in the photo.. he's something that starts with a d...but it isn't dude. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

4kmm4

Jun 12, 2013
Thank you Knights for a wonderful ride.
In Tyler we trust. What a performance.
We're so spoiled!

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I have been to both Erie and Saginaw and to be totally honest most of the Otter fans are recruited from the Pysch hospital. Saginaw is a great place to go to and a game and the fans are great. I rate Erie as I do Kitchener and I don't like either and won't go back. I am not painting all the fans with the same brush but a whole bunch are whackos in Erie and flat out inbred jerks in Kitchener. I took my Native foster kids there and there were racist comments directed towards myself,my wife and 4,5 and 11 year olds. "Take your tribe and go back to London" was the comment. There should be no wonder why I hate Kitchener. The fact that the 20 to 30 people standing around the SOB laughed at that statement has only fuelled my hatred for them and their city.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
London doesn't rebuild...they recruit

I thought this year was a rebuilding year!

I have been to both Erie and Saginaw and to be totally honest most of the Otter fans are recruited from the Pysch hospital. Saginaw is a great place to go to and a game and the fans are great. I rate Erie as I do Kitchener and I don't like either and won't go back. I am not painting all the fans with the same brush but a whole bunch are whackos in Erie and flat out inbred jerks in Kitchener. I took my Native foster kids there and there were racist comments directed towards myself,my wife and 4,5 and 11 year olds. "Take your tribe and go back to London" was the comment. There should be no wonder why I hate Kitchener. The fact that the 20 to 30 people standing around the SOB laughed at that statement has only fuelled my hatred for them and their city.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences in Kitchener. The animosity between the teams certainly runs deep. But I'd counsel you (for what it's worth) not to let people for whom you have zero regard colour your perception of a fanbase or a city. Why should some anonymous racist dictate how you feel about Kitchener?

The "London sucks" chants are an interesting phenomenon. I agree with the sentiment that if they're meant to unnerve the Knights, they likely backfire. And as serious commentary on the town (gorgeous), the organization (exemplary), the players (excellent) or the fans (passionate), it's nonsense. But as ironic commentary on the London Knights phenomenon, I think it's oddly appropos. For fans of the other 19 teams in the league, London retooling on the fly, pulling superstars seemingly out of the ether, soundly schooling other GMs in trades, and blasting apart records left and right is pretty damn annoying! London absolutely doesn't suck, and the Erie fans know that, but continued success has to come at some price--and that price is being the league's villain. If I were a London fan, I'd take a certain level of satisfaction knowing it's ultimately rooted in jealousy anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad