London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences in Kitchener. The animosity between the teams certainly runs deep. But I'd counsel you (for what it's worth) not to let people for whom you have zero regard colour your perception of a fanbase or a city. Why should some anonymous racist dictate how you feel about Kitchener?

The "London sucks" chants are an interesting phenomenon. I agree with the sentiment that if they're meant to unnerve the Knights, they likely backfire. And as serious commentary on the town (gorgeous), the organization (exemplary), the players (excellent) or the fans (passionate), it's nonsense. But as ironic commentary on the London Knights phenomenon, I think it's oddly appropos. For fans of the other 19 teams in the league, London retooling on the fly, pulling superstars seemingly out of the ether, soundly schooling other GMs in trades, and blasting apart records left and right is pretty damn annoying! London absolutely doesn't suck, and the Erie fans know that, but continued success has to come at some price--and that price is being the league's villain. If I were a London fan, I'd take a certain level of satisfaction knowing it's ultimately rooted in jealousy anyway.

As I've said before and I will say again. I relish being a fan of the "villain's of the OHL". I'd much rather be a fan of the team everyone hates than cheer for a team that everyone hates their fans. ;)

I've visited numerous OHL rinks and have never run into anything other than good natured ribbing. Could well be because of my stature and appearance but I've always had a good time in any opposition rink. The only time I've been mistreated by opposing fans was in my own rink when offering congratulations and it came from Owen Sound fans and Kitchener fans. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch, but a few bad apples can and will leave a sour taste in someone's mouth.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
ScoresFromCentre said:
The "London sucks" chants are an interesting phenomenon. I agree with the sentiment that if they're meant to unnerve the Knights, they likely backfire. And as serious commentary on the town (gorgeous), the organization (exemplary), the players (excellent) or the fans (passionate), it's nonsense. But as ironic commentary on the London Knights phenomenon, I think it's oddly appropos. For fans of the other 19 teams in the league, London retooling on the fly, pulling superstars seemingly out of the ether, soundly schooling other GMs in trades, and blasting apart records left and right is pretty damn annoying! London absolutely doesn't suck, and the Erie fans know that, but continued success has to come at some price--and that price is being the league's villain. If I were a London fan, I'd take a certain level of satisfaction knowing it's ultimately rooted in jealousy anyway.

It's not just the London Sucks chant.. It's everything that came after. The "We Hate You" sign and the throat slashes were over the top. Again, the city of Erie has made it known that they don't want our money... So be it.

It's not just the London Sucks chant.. It's everything that came after. The "We Hate You" sign and the throat slashes were over the top. Again, the city of Erie has made it known that they don't want our money... So be it.

Exactly. It's the going out of your way to print t-shirts condoning the hatred. Seeing parents with small children screaming frantically "London Sucks" and other profanities while laughing. Throat slashing gestures. Double finger salutes. Throwing objects which could be seen as weapons at opposing players.

Chanting and ranting is one thing, but having such perceived hatred condoned on a public level and promoted...is appalling to me.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Exactly. It's the going out of your way to print t-shirts condoning the hatred. Seeing parents with small children screaming frantically "London Sucks" and other profanities while laughing. Throat slashing gestures. Double finger salutes. Throwing objects which could be seen as weapons at opposing players.

Chanting and ranting is one thing, but having such perceived hatred condoned on a public level and promoted...is appalling to me.

I would expect the league taking into consideration fan behaviors when Erie applies to hosts league activities and Memorial cup, perhaps they already have !!!

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
How do you acquire FAs?

After drafted you have to "sell" "convince" "recruit" the kid to come to your organization. Pick your word ;)

I believe "illegal" is the wrong word ;) Keep on trying....

Then fans of other teams wonder why their teams don't get players. You have to put the work in after you've drafted players.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
the problem is they call players they are interested in prior to the draft and tell them to tell other teams they are going the U.S. college root, and they tell the perspective player that if they draft them they will take care of them.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
the players will tell you themselves, as well as the parents, if they do not take there recommendations.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Pretty ballsy statement with no documented proof.

Rowe, Foudy, Bouchard, Thomas, Perrott, just to name a few recent 1st/2nd rounders all went around or earlier than projected. But ya they told everyone they were headed south to school to end up here lol.. The did gamble on Perrott. But he wasn't a top ten or anything.
Marner situation was well documented as to why he slide.
They didnt draft the biggest US fence sitters this year....even thou they had chance in the 1st few rounds. Yup, big conspiracy here.

Go back to Harrington and I could see others making an argument, might not agree as to what happened but I could appreciate it.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Pretty ballsy statement with no documented proof.
marner told all ohl teams he wouldn't report; Knights took a " huge chance " on him, and , magically, he reported. oh, and his coach at the time was also knights head scout. all above board though.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
marner told all ohl teams he wouldn't report; Knights took a " huge chance " on him, and , magically, he reported. oh, and his coach at the time was also knights head scout. all above board though.

Did he pre draft interview with all teams?
What are you basing this comment on? Im really curious. Just a guess? A GM told you? You heard it from a scout? Read it from a fan here? I dont expect an answer but was curious non the less.
Yes Hofford coached him. Maybe saw more in him than other teams scouts because of that relationship.

He was also very familiar with many a gthl kid thru his camps and coaching.

TPT Petes

Apr 6, 2017
If a player and his family have chosen to go the NCAA route then they should not be able to play OHL period. That is unless they make a blanket statement to all teams stating that they are available to be picked. This would allow the first set of teams in line to pick them. Rather than them choose their own team, namely a top contender. When people talk about wanting more parity in this league it's a mystery to me why certain things are allowed to happen. If things are allowed to continue way they do the disparity between the 2 conferences will continue. East teams will continue to be fleeced of their top players to allow "some"west teams to beat their chests about how deserving they are and how undeserving the east is. You can read many comments on how the team that wins the east this year doesn't even deserve to be there. Other issues come to my mind that need to change...max domi refusing to report to kingston comes to mind... where was the only place he would go....? When will these tyes of issues be addressed? Ever?

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

I missed that stuff (only caught OT) and am 100% in agreement with you on that. Disappointing to hear.

As I've said before and I will say again. I relish being a fan of the "villain's of the OHL". I'd much rather be a fan of the team everyone hates than cheer for a team that everyone hates their fans. ;)

Amen to that. Speaking as a Kitchener fan, there's a certain irony to poking fun at the Yankees of the OHL when you cheer for the Red Sox!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If a player and his family have chosen to go the NCAA route then they should not be able to play OHL period. That is unless they make a blanket statement to all teams stating that they are available to be picked. This would allow the first set of teams in line to pick them. Rather than them choose their own team, namely a top contender. When people talk about wanting more parity in this league it's a mystery to me why certain things are allowed to happen. If things are allowed to continue way they do the disparity between the 2 conferences will continue. East teams will continue to be fleeced of their top players to allow "some"west teams to beat their chests about how deserving they are and how undeserving the east is. You can read many comments on how the team that wins the east this year doesn't even deserve to be there. Other issues come to my mind that need to change...max domi refusing to report to kingston comes to mind... where was the only place he would go....? When will these tyes of issues be addressed? Ever?

Ever? Likely not any more than they already have been. This league allows players with leverage to dictate where they will or won't play for good reason. The alternative is that many of these star players could play in the USHL then possibly on to the NCAA. That would make those leagues even stronger and our league here weaker. Being a weaker league hurts the entertainment product and also when we try to recruit future prospects.

It's not a perfect world. So, rules have been put into place that allows it to happen while at the same time allows a way for teams selecting these players, but cannot get them to report, to be compensated handsomely.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This is a really good point. Erie has no chance of hosting given the show the fans put on.

the last time they even considered applying was probably a decade ago. they dont have the city support to apply and nor do i think many of us fans truly care. a bigger hurdle is being in the states. but like i said, our fans likely dont care. add to that, tickets for the thing are overly expensive aka you wouldnt see drunk fans but rather local regional fans with deeper pockets. it wouldnt be that insane-trust me. but if having our fans is really the excuse used i dont think we will lose any sleep over it. most of the fans arent invested nor care about the 'C'HL. half dont even understand the memorial cup tourney. they just understand the ohl to some degree

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
For sure Parsons is special and in the land of the Knights will be remembered. I struggle with names but there was a kid in Kitchener that now plays in Anaheim that was very special as well. He was an American........Gibson last name? Memory serves me correctly they just about knocked out a London Team that was far superior, kinda like the Erie series just passed.

Not so. Gibson was a Ranger for two years and both years London eliminated us from the playoffs relatively easy.

2012: 4-0 in games with London outscoring us 18-10 over those four games.
2013: 4-1 in games and outscoring us 16-11. Take away the one Ranger win in that series and the goal differential is 14-5.

Injuries did us in in 2012. Having to go 7 games vs a tough Whalers team took it's toll. I'd like to have seen how that series would have gone had it been a 1st round match up. But whatever.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights............Some are Heading for the Pros

Knights played 14 Games in 26 Days including 4 OT Games.
Two 7 Game Series against top level teams Windsor and Erie.
Lots of travel during that time.
Some guys may be playing in the Pros next season..........Olli and Jonesy?
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Will they be back at the big dance next year?
That’s the expectation — from ownership to the fans — every summer before a season starts.
“Hard to say,†GM Rob Simpson said. “Guys leave and make it (in the pros) early. A lot can change there.
That’s our goal every year — winning the Cup. It’s our focus. But a lot of things have to go right for teams to be successful.â€
In the fall, the Knights were unsure if 19-year-olds Mitch Marner and Matthew Tkachuk would return. They became NHL standouts.
“Would it have been nice to have those guys in the lineup,†Simpson asked.
“Of course, but we’re more happy because they’re playing at the level they aspire to.
Junior hockey is about developing players as fast as you can to be ready for the next step.â€
The Knights, an up-and-down offence all season, averaged three goals a game in the series against Windsor.
They scored even less -- 17 goals in seven games -- against the Otters.
“Erie and us were both tight-checking teams playing defensive hockey,†Simpson said.
“Both teams sacrificed, blocked shots and got sticks in lanes. It wasn’t like they were scoring a lot, either.
If you look at any league, scoring is going to go down (in the playoffs).â€
Now, several Knights are getting their shot in the pros.
Janne Kuokkanen (Hurricanes), Max Jones (Ducks), Stephens (Lightning), Victor Mete (Canadiens) and Parsons (Flames)
will join their NHL team’s American league affiliates. The farm teams of the Canucks (Olli Juolevi) and
Islanders (Vande Sompel) didn’t qualify for the playoffs.
Piccinich and d-man Nicolas Mattinen are set to join the Leafs for development duty.
For most of them, their play over the next few months will determine what the Knights look like this fall.
The departure of Parsons will hit the hardest. He’s been one of the most successful goalies in OHL history.
“The type of career he’s had, he’s been phenomenal for our organization,†Simpson said.
“He put in the work ethic and dedication in practice.
That’s what allowed him to be successful and what made him turn into a winning goaltender. You always know he had a big save in him.â€
Now, it’s up to Simpson and Dale Hunter to make sure they’re top contenders again in 2017-18.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/04/19/as-stars-take-shot-at-pros-london-knights-have-big-holes-to-fill

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
the last time they even considered applying was probably a decade ago. they dont have the city support to apply and nor do i think many of us fans truly care. a bigger hurdle is being in the states. but like i said, our fans likely dont care. add to that, tickets for the thing are overly expensive aka you wouldnt see drunk fans but rather local regional fans with deeper pockets. it wouldnt be that insane-trust me. but if having our fans is really the excuse used i dont think we will lose any sleep over it. most of the fans arent invested nor care about the 'C'HL. half dont even understand the memorial cup tourney. they just understand the ohl to some degree

Believe me, it shows !!!

US successful Memorial Cup hosts 1986 - Portland OR, 1992 - Seattle WA and 1998 - Spokane WA. They were great hosts with great fans and most of all very caring of their visitors, unfortunately Erie at the present time does not fit this curriculum !!

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Not so. Gibson was a Ranger for two years and both years London eliminated us from the playoffs relatively easily

Thanks for the refresher it's coming back, the fear was he had the potential to be a block wall I believe, but you are correct London won with ease. Anyway my thought was somewhat still accurate he was a very good goalie who returned for an OA year as Anaheim was goalie rich at the time (I think?) and had no where to play him. He has proven in Anaheim to be very solid at the NHL level, I think (here we go again) he was part of the reason the Leafs were able to get Anderson as Anaheim elected to go with Gibson instead. Sorry mushy brain......

19 other teams had the chance to take Marner and recruit him. They failed to do so. Even if another team drafted him and then Marner played the "only London" card said team would have reaped the benefits of taking a chance by drafting him. Owen Sound seems OK with the picks they received for taking Mete when he said no and Kingston didn't mind what they received for Domi after he said he wouldn't report. Other teams have reaped the rewards of calling a players "NCAA" bluff and not just in deals with London there have been numerous. Because 19 teams were too stupid to call Marner's bluff isn't London's fault.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
19 other teams had the chance to take Marner and recruit him. They failed to do so. Even if another team drafted him and then Marner played the "only London" card said team would have reaped the benefits of taking a chance by drafting him. Owen Sound seems OK with the picks they received for taking Mete when he said no and Kingston didn't mind what they received for Domi after he said he wouldn't report. Other teams have reaped the rewards of calling a players "NCAA" bluff and not just in deals with London there have been numerous. Because 19 teams were too stupid to call Marner's bluff isn't London's fault.

Unlike London other GMs who do that will have their job on the line if they screw up. You failed to mention that little tidbit.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Exactly ! :handclap::handclap:

- Logic don't make sense to some very few fans around the league, not all of them but just a few, they are preferring make up a villain to blame for their lacking in understandings !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad