London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Unlike London other GMs who do that will have their job on the line if they screw up. You failed to mention that little tidbit.
There are variables at play in every situation. The Knights have a situation where they can gamble with "house money" and not have it hurt them financially. Other GM's have the chance to take players of the Marner mold and make lucrative deals to further their team and have done so. That is the main point. Because 19 other teams didn't want to take that gamble isn't London's fault. Someone could have sacked up and made London pay but they didn't. First rounders don't report almost every year and some teams reap the rewards by taking a chance.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
London always said before all their drafts they will pick the best available player at their scheduled turn. They will not be dictated by 19 other teams on the count they chose to by-pass a talented player !!

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Not so. Gibson was a Ranger for two years and both years London eliminated us from the playoffs relatively easy.

2012: 4-0 in games with London outscoring us 18-10 over those four games.
2013: 4-1 in games and outscoring us 16-11. Take away the one Ranger win in that series and the goal differential is 14-5.

Injuries did us in in 2012. Having to go 7 games vs a tough Whalers team took it's toll. I'd like to have seen how that series would have gone had it been a 1st round match up. But whatever.

You can squint a bit at the 2013 series and say that if the Rangers had been able to prevail in OT in Game 4, they might have been able to push it to 7. The 2012 series was an embarrassment, though.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Crowd policing and "bounty" programs would also help. Alcohol doesn't make idiots, it just makes idiots worse.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brady Tkachuk............Leader On and Off the Ice

It’s a huge honor to wear the C,†he said. “I’m happy that the guys look to me as a leader. It’s a privilege to have. It’s real special to me since my dad wore the C too. It’s very special.â€
Tkachuk understands his leadership style, and when he needs to be funny and when he needs to be serious.
“Before the game, I try to keep things light,†he explained. “When we are out there on the ice, I like to always have a few chirps to get the boys laughing. When it comes time to be serious, I like to be serious and real direct. If we need to make a play or play better, I’ll say it on the bench.â€
That leadership will be important as Tkachuk and his U18 teammates are starting their journey in search of a gold medal at the 2017 IIHF Under-18 World Championships. The squad won their first two international tournaments this year — the Five Nations in Plymouth in November and the Five Nations in Sweden in February — and they are hoping to use that success as a springboard.
For the 6-foot-2, 195-pound forward, it’s not just about the laughs on the ice. Rather, he credits the training from this past spring that has really helped the team progress on the ice this season as U18s.
“Last spring and this past summer, we really put in a lot of work out there,†said Tkachuk. “For me personally, it’s the confidence that I have gotten stronger and I can make an impact on the ice. It all goes back to the confidence.
“It was tough, the spring training, but we all went through it together. We really created a bond between ourselves and we knew we wanted to get better. It was a little shaky the start of the year but as the season progressed, as a team, we have gotten better.â€
He also credits the advice he’s received from first-year head coach John Wroblewski that has helped with both his and the team’s success.
“It’s to the point,†Tkachuk said about how his coach delivers advice. “It’s hard and he wants us to execute. It’s a pro atmosphere. He doesn’t accept a lot of mistakes and he pushes us to be the best we can. That has helped our team all year.
“He told us to act like a pro every day. Do things as much as you can to get the advantage over the other team. Eat healthy. Drink lots of water. Do everything you can.â€
2016-17 USNTDP Juniors USHL 24Games 12G 11A 23Points 73PIM
U.S. National U18 Team USDP 58Games 25Goals 27A 52Points 129PIM | USA U18 WJC-18 4Games 1G 2A 3P 10PIM 0
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/782078?referrer_id=695820

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton.........2nd Team Rookie All-Star

Alex Formenton had a great year for the London Knights.
He was an 11th Round Pick @ 5' 6" in 2015 OHL Draft.
Formenton was consistent very good throughout the Regular Season as well as the 2017 Play-Offs.
He is a 'high end speedster' who has great courage and endurance to play tough against anyone.
2016-17 London Knights OHL 65Games 16G 18A 34P 50PIM 21+
Congrats Alex!!
2016-17 OHL All-Rookie Teams (voting points in brackets):
First Team:
Centre – Allan McShane, Oshawa Generals (85)
Left Wing – Linus Nyman, Kingston Frontenacs (73)
Right Wing – Akil Thomas, Niagara IceDogs (93)
Defence – Ryan Merkley, Guelph Storm (91)
Defence – Eemeli Rasanen, Kingston Frontenacs (74)
Goaltender – Jacob Ingham, Mississauga Steelheads (73)
Second Team:
Centre – Adam Ruzicka, Sarnia Sting (51)
Left Wing – Alex Formenton, London Knights (38)
Right Wing – Greg Meireles, Kitchener Rangers (39)
Defence – Giovanni Vallati, Kitchener Rangers (44)
Defence – Owen Lalonde, Sudbury Wolves (39)
Goaltender – Matthew Villalta, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (70)
If one was to look at Formenton’s history, they would be surprised he even got a chance to play in the Ontario Hockey League.

Formenton was an 11th round pick in the 2015 OHL draft. He was five-foot-six and a scrawny kid. He had some skill and he could skate.
Still, not many scrawny five-foot-six wingers get a crack at junior hockey because many teams don’t want to give them the chance.
Former Knights general manager “Basil McRae’s brother lived up in the Barrie area and always watched GTHL games,†Knights general manager Rob Simpson said. “He kept saying ‘Hey this guy is really good. I know he’s small but he’s really, really good.’ He did some digging on him and he met the parents and you know it’s always a bit of a chance. He kept saying ‘I think he’s going to grow.’ He kept pushing.
“So obviously Basil and myself went out and watched and we continually saw things that we liked from Formenton. So in the 11th round it was definitely worth the risk, especially if he grew and even if he didn’t he might have been able to play with his skill set anyway.â€
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/01/20/l...ven-a-chance-his-game-and-his-body-have-grown

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
JJ Piccinich............Classy Captain

JJ Piccinich‏ @JJPiccinich · 18h18 hours ago
Thank you @GoLondonKnights and whole organization for an amazing two years!
It was an unforgettable experience that last a lifetime!

JJ is an example of relentless hard worker on and off the ice.
Leafs have a player who is a combination of skill, grit, skill and leadership.
All the Best in your Pro Career.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Believe me, it shows !!!

US successful Memorial Cup hosts 1986 - Portland OR, 1992 - Seattle WA and 1998 - Spokane WA. They were great hosts with great fans and most of all very caring of their visitors, unfortunately Erie at the present time does not fit this curriculum !!

I don't see it happening anywhere in the states with the current administration, would be too much red tape. Sure, there are a lot of wing nut fans in Erie, but you wouldn't see many at a Memorial Cup. There is a lot of "worldwide" attention on Erie right now, obviously the facebook shooter, a couple of specials about how Erie switched from Blue to Red in the election, ESPN is here filming a special about 2 high school basketball coaches that got together after one of their sons killed a relative of the other one, they made it to the state championship & took second. I should know more, just caught part of the story, may have a correction to it.

Lots of anger towards London, I'm not proud of it, they're just kids playing hockey, I just think many look at that video of Hunter's hit on Turgeon & know thug hockey is out & consider Dale a preacher of dirtiness. My mother in laws maiden name is Hunter & she always has colorful commentary at London games, doesn't scream, just says funny things. Believe it or not anyone who knows her regards her as a pillar of the community. When we play London it brings the worst out of many people.

All good guys, no offense meant, just observation.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
For such a starved region economically, I didn't see many empty hands at the rinks on game day.

Food for my family...or beer while watching kids play hockey....ya...beer while watching kids play hockey...my kids can eat next month:laugh:

pp, Google this: Betting on Trump: jobs frontline.

Lots of seats around me weren't regulars, can't afford tickets.

Lots of anger towards London, I'm not proud of it, they're just kids playing hockey, I just think many look at that video of Hunter's hit on Turgeon & know thug hockey is out & consider Dale a preacher of dirtiness. My mother in laws maiden name is Hunter & she always has colorful commentary at London games, doesn't scream, just says funny things. Believe it or not anyone who knows her regards her as a pillar of the community. When we play London it brings the worst out of many people.

Why though. Erie is a transplanted team with no roots in Erie at all...hell they used to be the Windsor Spitfires at one time. Did you hate London before you had an OHL team?....Before the last 3 or 4 years? The "rivalry" is based on what...3 or 4 years tops? Like I said before...I don't even consider Erie in my top 5 for "true rivals" of the Knights. There just isn't enough history between the 2 franchises past the last 3 years. Could that change?...sure it could...in 10 maybe 15 years if they both stay as competitive. Do I like beating the Otters...damn straight...I like curb stomping any team. But to me it just means more beating Kitchener or Windsor..or even The Soo. They've just been around longer and I can relate to the battles of my youth. I guess if You're a new fan of the OHL and it's all you got..might as well grasp something.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Have more GMs kept their jobs when these players r picked n moved to see the benefits or fired?

Cmon Razor.

In the past 6-7 years 80% of the leagues GM's have been turned over some for advancement and others for poor performance. How's Drinkill doing in Saginaw after taking Jenkins/Wilde 1-2 last year? Oh that's right they were the 3rd worst team in the league and had nothing to show for those picks. Sarnia selected Weiss in round 1 and he didn't show so they didn't have anything to show either. Of course these talking heads on twitter do nothing but applaud these organizations for taking chances but it's easy for them to say that their jobs aren't on the line. The Knights drafted Max Jones and could afford him to sit a year. Other organizations don't have that luxury just as you say CMON why won't you admit that?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm with Rayzor in this (Yes, I said that :laugh:). While it would be nice for teams to be able to go "we select this kid, even though he's going NCAA", it's not always possible. Imagine Windsor selected an "NCAA or bust" prospect in the first two rounds? People would go nuts! (see: Keller, Clayton F).

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
You can squint a bit at the 2013 series and say that if the Rangers had been able to prevail in OT in Game 4, they might have been able to push it to 7. The 2012 series was an embarrassment, though.

2012 wasn't as embarrassing to me.

Game 1 - Gibson was standing on his head. Might have been one of the best games I remember him playing. Domi redirected a point shot from an almost impossible angle to tie it with 5 minutes left. Lost in OT. Game 2 we blew a lead late in they 3rd. Spott panicked and played only 6 or 7 players the last 6 minutes. Cody Sol was so tired he could barely stand.

Coming off a tough 7 game series with Plymouth where we played the last 3 games in 4 days and only one day off before starting with London, there was nothing left in the tank.

I was actually more pissed off at 2013. That last game in London it seemed like they couldn't wait to get off the ice.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
2012 wasn't as embarrassing to me.

Game 1 - Gibson was standing on his head. Might have been one of the best games I remember him playing. Domi redirected a point shot from an almost impossible angle to tie it with 5 minutes left. Lost in OT. Game 2 we blew a lead late in they 3rd. Spott panicked and played only 6 or 7 players the last 6 minutes. Cody Sol was so tired he could barely stand.

Coming off a tough 7 game series with Plymouth where we played the last 3 games in 4 days and only one day off before starting with London, there was nothing left in the tank.

I was actually more pissed off at 2013. That last game in London it seemed like they couldn't wait to get off the ice.

A bit lazy on my part, RB. I meant that the result was embarrassing--as you said, the team absolutely gave it their all. Their relative lack of depth (or perhaps Spott's lack of faith in the team's role players) had the top-end guys gassed, as you said.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I'm with Rayzor in this (Yes, I said that :laugh:). While it would be nice for teams to be able to go "we select this kid, even though he's going NCAA", it's not always possible. Imagine Windsor selected an "NCAA or bust" prospect in the first two rounds? People would go nuts! (see: Keller, Clayton F).

We had this discussion in the last month or 2 (Surprising, I know). Someone, not a Knights fan posted the real story behind why Marner dropped to 20. It did not have to do with picking his spot, more about his size at the time and his Father wanting him to be picked in the first round. They said he would have reported anywhere if he was picked in the first. I don't know exactly when it was or I'd link it.
Anyways, same old story from the IceDogs fan. The Knights buy all their players. :laugh:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I don't see it happening anywhere in the states with the current administration, would be too much red tape. Sure, there are a lot of wing nut fans in Erie, but you wouldn't see many at a Memorial Cup. There is a lot of "worldwide" attention on Erie right now, obviously the facebook shooter, a couple of specials about how Erie switched from Blue to Red in the election, ESPN is here filming a special about 2 high school basketball coaches that got together after one of their sons killed a relative of the other one, they made it to the state championship & took second. I should know more, just caught part of the story, may have a correction to it.

I know there are some decent hockey fans in Erie, not all should be painted with the same brush, it only take a few to start some disgraceful actions leading others to follow up on the action. The game of hockey has evolved the past 20 years, players and fans has evolved along with it, heck I remember team buses been overturned on it's side by disgruntled fans, but all that has changed now it very much appears to some of us as if Erie is in a cocoon stocked back in times.

It's time for Erie fans to stopped hurting their favorite team by embarrassing themselves and their city, and to truly enjoy the new and improved game of hockey like the rest of the league do in their cities !!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
In the past 6-7 years 80% of the leagues GM's have been turned over some for advancement and others for poor performance. How's Drinkill doing in Saginaw after taking Jenkins/Wilde 1-2 last year? Oh that's right they were the 3rd worst team in the league and had nothing to show for those picks. Sarnia selected Weiss in round 1 and he didn't show so they didn't have anything to show either. Of course these talking heads on twitter do nothing but applaud these organizations for taking chances but it's easy for them to say that their jobs aren't on the line. The Knights drafted Max Jones and could afford him to sit a year. Other organizations don't have that luxury just as you say CMON why won't you admit that?

Why were the GMs fired?. Go back to when this comp stuff started. If its directly related to taking those picks and nothing else Im wrong.
But 80 % of GMs are probly turned over without the rule ;)
Its worked out for some, not for others, wait n see on the recents. Just like any moves GMs make.

I like aggressive GMs that take calculated risks. Are u suggesting because its there jobs on the line they all be conservative?
Just like coaches, most run a cycle in minors or pros. Thats why the 80% flip in 6/7 years.

Last edited:

pelangio

Aug 13, 2013
ollie gone?

Knights played 14 Games in 26 Days including 4 OT Games.
Two 7 Game Series against top level teams Windsor and Erie.
Lots of travel during that time.
Some guys may be playing in the Pros next season..........Olli and Jonesy?
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Will they be back at the big dance next year?
That’s the expectation — from ownership to the fans — every summer before a season starts.
“Hard to say,†GM Rob Simpson said. “Guys leave and make it (in the pros) early. A lot can change there.
That’s our goal every year — winning the Cup. It’s our focus. But a lot of things have to go right for teams to be successful.â€
In the fall, the Knights were unsure if 19-year-olds Mitch Marner and Matthew Tkachuk would return. They became NHL standouts.
“Would it have been nice to have those guys in the lineup,†Simpson asked.
“Of course, but we’re more happy because they’re playing at the level they aspire to.
Junior hockey is about developing players as fast as you can to be ready for the next step.â€
The Knights, an up-and-down offence all season, averaged three goals a game in the series against Windsor.
They scored even less -- 17 goals in seven games -- against the Otters.
“Erie and us were both tight-checking teams playing defensive hockey,†Simpson said.
“Both teams sacrificed, blocked shots and got sticks in lanes. It wasn’t like they were scoring a lot, either.
If you look at any league, scoring is going to go down (in the playoffs).â€
Now, several Knights are getting their shot in the pros.
Janne Kuokkanen (Hurricanes), Max Jones (Ducks), Stephens (Lightning), Victor Mete (Canadiens) and Parsons (Flames)
will join their NHL team’s American league affiliates. The farm teams of the Canucks (Olli Juolevi) and
Islanders (Vande Sompel) didn’t qualify for the playoffs.
Piccinich and d-man Nicolas Mattinen are set to join the Leafs for development duty.
For most of them, their play over the next few months will determine what the Knights look like this fall.
The departure of Parsons will hit the hardest. He’s been one of the most successful goalies in OHL history.
“The type of career he’s had, he’s been phenomenal for our organization,†Simpson said.
“He put in the work ethic and dedication in practice.
That’s what allowed him to be successful and what made him turn into a winning goaltender. You always know he had a big save in him.â€
Now, it’s up to Simpson and Dale Hunter to make sure they’re top contenders again in 2017-18.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/04/19/as-stars-take-shot-at-pros-london-knights-have-big-holes-to-fill

2 of the Canucks d men going to KHL chances for ollie to stick? Might lose him next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad