London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Congrats to the Knights on a terrific run - many comments on how they would get rolled in the second round were silenced. They'll be back as a force again next season.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I'd have to go look it up; not sure off top of my head. Parsons was an absolute rock for London from the opening game. Without him, London doesn't get this far. His stats are deserving of MVP, even with losing in the second round. That being said, a huge series by McNiven or someone else in the next round and all bets are off. I just believe Parsons deserves to be in the conversation.

This is a really interesting idea. What happens if the Petes go 16-2 (hear me out!) and win the OHL title with the kind of team effort that produces no real standout points performances? Then maybe you have to look at Wells, but suddenly he's only played four more games than Parsons. If you think Parsons provided more value to his team in those fourteen games than Wells did in his eighteen, maybe Parsons deserves a look.

One counterargument might be that Parsons didn't do much to influence the outcome of the championship--but what if Erie steamrolls OS and the East winner? (It's unlikely, but certainly possible.) Then maybe you can argue that Parsons did more to imperil the eventual champ's win than any other player, and if you don't think that any one Erie player did more to help them win than Parsons did to stop them, maybe you can make the argument there too.

It will never, ever happen (and imagine the apoplexy that would convulse non-London fans if it did), but I think its a really interesting hypothetical.

Anyway, I wanted to give a huge shutout to a truly gutsy playoff performance by the Knights. They were a whisker away from knocking off two legitimate Memorial Cup contenders in the first two rounds of the playoffs--something no team has ever done before. London does so much so well that some of the best London storylines get lost in the shuffle. I hope this season gets its due. This was a Memorial Cup contending team that came awfully close to making a truly historic run.

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
Uhhgg!!! Heartbreak!!! I hurt.... but, proud of the team and how they got better every game! Wishing they gelled 4 weeks earlier. Different outcome as seeding played a factor!!! Erie gets my respect. Great team!! But I'm cheering for the Attack!!!
One and only post this season!! Cheers!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hard to be disappointed in the season. Losing Tkachuk and missing out on Roslovic were pretty big blows, but the Knights kept winning for the first half of the season, brought in reinforcements without mortaging the future and brought the best team in Canada to Game 7 OT.

On to the future...

Gone for sure are Salituro, OMac, Piccinich, MVS, Stephens and probably Kuokannen.

If you asked me a month ago, I would have said Juolevi probably doesn't make the NHL..but he was great in the playoffs. Got a feeling he sticks.

Perhaps Jones could make the NHL in a bottom 6 capacity, but I think he'd be best served to come back to the O for another season to make his offensive game a bit more well rounded.

Miletic, Crawley are both probably back as OAs. Carbonara should be back too - he was a welcome addition this year.

Mattinen was pretty solid this year. I fully expect him to step up into a top four role. Bouchard still has his gaffes but he's one of the best puck moving defenceman on the team. He's a question mark but London could have a top four set in place for next year.

I expect Thomas/Miletic to produce a lot next year. I can easily see Miletic potting 45, and Robbie T hitting 90+ points.

XX-Thomas-Miletic
Jones-Pu-XX

Hard to guess where Formenton and Foudy will be at the start of next year, as well as Rowe.

Brady Tkachuk is probably going to be the big target all summer. Hopefully they can get another good import like they did this year.

Knights don't have much in the way of futures, so they're going to need to get a whole lot luckier than they did last summer (Tkachuk, Roslovic, etc)

Finally, Parsons is going to be a huge miss. We probably won't see a goalie like him for a long time. I liked what I saw from Kooy and I think he's the goalie of the future, but it's a big question mark.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
However, why the Knights go after offensive players at the trade deadline and have them all play defensive hockey??? I understand team system and all but only 29 shots in 3 1/2 periods with overtime of a game 7 hockey game, perhaps getting defensemen and defensive forwards would have help out more in that defensive department, especially in the 63 shots against of that last game. Only Stephens helped on offense the rest were pretty much a bust and basically hurt our chances to take down Erie. - Just saying !!!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
However, why the Knights go after offensive players at the trade deadline and have them all play defensive hockey??? I understand team system and all but only 29 shots in 3 1/2 periods with overtime of a game 7 hockey game, perhaps getting defensemen and defensive forwards would have help out more in that defensive department, especially in the 63 shots against of that last game. Only Stephens helped on offense the rest were pretty much a bust and basically hurt our chances to take down Erie. - Just saying !!!

Salituro couldn't keep up with the pace so he got buried in the lineup. It was a good trade with disappointing results.

I think London's D played pretty well but MVS wasn't the right guy to go after just cause we didn't utilize his biggest strength of free wheeling. It's understandable why we didn't - London was taking too many risks offensively down the stretch and they had to tighten up - which they did.

Sucks that someone like Alex Peters or Desrocher didn't come available.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Congratulations to the Knights. Your last 6 seasons are the envy of the entire CHL. 4 Memorial Cup appearances and a win last season and this season they took the Otters to OT in game 7.

Losing sucks, but losing a series where it's decided in OT in the visitor's rink is as close as it gets.

The Hunter's have made every other team have to get better to compete. Attendance in rinks where the Knights are the visitors go up. Games are exciting and intense.
Fans get into it. It's good for the game.

This disappointment will fade and next season will likely be the start of something good again.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Congratulations to the Knights. Your last 6 seasons are the envy of the entire CHL. 4 Memorial Cup appearances and a win last season and this season they took the Otters to OT in game 7.

Losing sucks, but losing a series where it's decided in OT in the visitor's rink is as close as it gets.

The Hunter's have made every other team have to get better to compete. Attendance in rinks where the Knights are the visitors go up. Games are exciting and intense.
Fans get into it. It's good for the game.

This disappointment will fade and next season will likely be the start of something good again.

The only thing that sucks is that a Memorial Cup this year would probably have cemented the Knights from 2012-2017 as a legit CHL dynasty

From 2005-2016, it's definitely a dominant era but not a dynasty.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
The only thing that sucks is that a Memorial Cup this year would probably have cemented the Knights from 2012-2017 as a legit CHL dynasty

I don't know from 2003-04 to 2015-16 the Knights put together a pretty good run. Probably one of the best in the modern era, especially since the league went to 20 teams.

2 Memorial Cups
4 OHL titles
5 Western Conference titles
6 Regular Season titles
8 Midwest Division titles
8 Western Conference final appearances
28 playoff series wins

That's a lot of banners.

In those 13 seasons only got bounced in the 1st round twice.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Not winning the Memorial Cup this year didn't suck as bad as not winning in 2012. That was a Memorial Cup calibre team. This years was not. The goalie was however.

Not getting Tkachuk back was the biggest blow. Keeping Martenet around long enough to miss out on Spencer Watson was a close second. He was the sniper they needed. It's too bad the Salituro and Vande Sompel trades didn't work out. Stephens was great though.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm really happy with this season overall. I truly believe that the team had the talent and the drive to repeat the Mem Cup but it wasn't to be...it's not just about our team, it's also about quality of the others - and there is no absence of talent in the league, especially our conference.

The Knights certainly had their hearts in it to the end and you can't ask for anything else.

Thank you to Owen MacDonald for his wonderful tenure with this team - a hard working player and a good person. He has good things waiting for him in life.

I was really happy with the play from Foudy & the 17 year olds on the team over the season. I know others have mentioned that the team might not have that *elite* player we've had in the past - but I feel very positive and optimistic about the team going forward.

And, of course, thank you to all the coaches, trainers, etc that work with the team - something I love about the Knights is how much you see the players improve over the season - and while the players themselves deserve so much credit - so do the coaches, staff, management, etc.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
im excited to see what next years team will look like who may commit over the summer. Looking forward to training camp and the start of a new season and quest for Mem cup

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights.............Boys left it All on the Ice

Wow!!
That was a roller coaster game that had me off my seat many times.
For the most part, the boys outplayed the Otters in the 1st Period.
At 3-1 it really looked like the Knights were going to Win Game #7 in Erie.
Debrincat gets the go-ahead Goal late in the 3rd Period.
Game over...........Not So Fast!!
Mitchell Stephens pots another big goal to bring it to 4-4 and another OT.
We had our chances.
Janne had a clear shot in the open..........Murdaca makes a good save.
Who was the MVP in both the Erie and Windsor Series?
No Contest!!
Tyler Parsons!!
Parsons had 63 Shots pelted at him last night. He almost pulled out another win.
Ryan Pyette LFP Article:
Kris Knoblach
Parsons, who denied Erie coach and Team Canada assistant Kris Knoblauch a world junior gold medal in January,
made a career-high 58 saves and was -- by far -- the best player in the second-round series.
"Same guy in net," a relieved Knoblauch said. "I don't like that guy. He's a good goalie, but I don't like him."
Dale:
"They worked their tails off," London coach Dale Hunter said. "That's what you expect. Good team over there, too, and a good series."
"Overtime in the seventh game, anything can happen."
OMac: who had a very strong game and series.
"Very proud of them," graduating fifth-year centre Owen MacDonald said. "Special group, resilient. We faced elimination five times.
That says it right there."
"It's a coin flip in overtime. Tough going out like that, but things have to come to an end sometimes."
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/04/18/l...rn-conference-final-against-owen-sound-attack
In all honesty, the Boys had played 4 weeks of very tough hockey against a very good Windsor team and the #2 Rated Otters.
Every game was a dog fight...............very tough physical games in all zones and areas of the rink.
They were within a breath of winning two back to back 7 games Series.
Impressive!!
Erie, Windsor, The Soo, Owen Sound had all improved from last season.
The Western Conference in the OHL was the best in the CHL.
Whoever comes out of the Erie-OS Series should win the Memorial Cup.
London was close.............very close!!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Fantastic year Knights ! I'm a Canuck/ Juolevi fan so I followed your season all year long. What an exciting brand of hockey ! Future looks bright.

As for Juolevi I think there's a good chance he returns next year to London. He isn't AHL eligible so it's either Vancouver or London. There is currently a log jam on defence w. The Canucks but anything can happen with The expansion draft and off season. However I would have 0 problem with. Juolevi going back to London and gain some strength. I feel like his vision and ICE-Q is already NHL level.

Can someone give me a report on how they think k Juolevi did in playoffs. His strengths and weaknesses .please and thank u

I also really like Robert Thomas. I'm hoping the Canucks will draft him w. Their 33rd pick but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes in the top 20. He has lots of potential. He reminds me of Knight alumni David Bolland. Would that be a fair comparison??

I'd love a report on him as well. I appreciate any response. Thanks.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Olli Juolevi............Had an Excellent 2017 Play-Offs

Olli Juolevi had a slow start with the Knights after returning from the Canucks Training Camp. He was a bit 'off.'
He was a big factor with the London Knights Play-Off success in winning the 2016 Memorial Cup.
The competition in the OHL West is fierce.
Olli stepped up in both the Windsor and Erie Series.
Olli is a very smooth skater and works the DZone with efficiency of knowing when and where is best to move the puck out to his team-mates.
He was aggressive in the corners and was making some very nice passing plays in various situations including the Power Play.
imho, I think it would be wise for the Canucks to bring him up to their 'Big Team' next season. It will help him to put on 5-10 lbs of quality muscle during the summer to have the strength in dealing with the NHL battles in the corners. I don't see him back with the Knights.
2016-17 London Knights OHL 58Games 10G 32A 42P 36PIM 26+
Playoffs 14Games 3G 5A 8P
Below are 2 Scouting Reports on Olli Juolevi before the 2016 Draft:
Mark Edwards, Hockey Prospect Black Book
One of my favourite players in this draft. From my first viewing this season in the Knights pre-season, right through to some outstanding performances in the playoffs, Olli impressed me. He’s so smart and so poised, those tools along with his great feet and vision make him my number one defenseman in this draft. It was tight between Olli and Sergachev for me earlier this season but Juolevi pulled away the last few months and became my clear-cut top Dman.
ISS
Smart two-way defender with size. Fluid skating stride with quickness and speed. Very effective running PP, has a very high panic threshold when being pressured. Changes angles well and can walk the line to open up shooting lane. Not physical, relies on body positioning and a good stick to defend. Very good skater with mobility, good gap control and pivots. Retrieves drop-ins quickly. He has solid point production this year, which is due to the way he reads the ice so well and finds the open man. Ability to slip the first man in on the fore check. Equally as good on defense as he is on offense. Close to being NHL ready. Still needs to get stronger physically as he has a lanky frame.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Robert Thomas............Got Better and Better

Robbie Thomas was rated as a possible 2nd-3rd Round Pick for the 2017 NHL Draft at the beginning of the season.
He has been consistently very good throughout this season and is now rated around the Top 20 or so...........maybe the Leafs will draft him. ;)
He's a complete player who plays a solid 200' game.
He's a very good skater with high fitness and endurance level.
Robbie is more of a play-maker than shooter and makes the 'perfect pass' to his team-mates resulting in goals.
He was usually on the 2nd Power Play unit with the Knights which means the points he had this season are not overly inflated.
2016-17 Regular Season LDN 66Games 16G 50A 66Points 41+ 26PIM
He was around 60% on Face-Offs during the regular Season.............very good.
The Knights had very tough opponents in Windsor and Erie during the Play-Offs.
Thomas stepped up as a leader and was one of the most consistent players in those 14 games.
Dale Hunter had Thomas centre Mitchell and Kuokkanen which emerged as the best line for the Knights in the Play-Offs.
Whatever team drafts Robbie Thomas is getting a guy who has an excellent attitude who plays 'team first'
at the same time wanting to improve an already a high skill level.
Below is a vid of Robbie Thomas.
In this game he scored one of the prettiest goals of the season while the Knights were 2 Men Short!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12dmMSQ9BA

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Not winning the Memorial Cup this year didn't suck as bad as not winning in 2012. That was a Memorial Cup calibre team. This years was not. The goalie was however.

Not getting Tkachuk back was the biggest blow. Keeping Martenet around long enough to miss out on Spencer Watson was a close second. He was the sniper they needed. It's too bad the Salituro and Vande Sompel trades didn't work out. Stephens was great though.

I agree !

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
I just wish they'd have open up more offensively, I understand the team system the Hunter put in place for the players and it almost worked. Something else would have almost worked, and that is turning your offensive players loose once awhile. Pu 2016 with Marner & co on the team 8g 5a = 13pts and 2017 without Marner & co 2g 5a = 7pts, this is the year more offense was in need by the likes of Pu, Piccinich, Miletic, Formenton, Salituro even MacDonald & Carbonara they too had sub-par playoffs productions. Why holding back all this offensive skills at a time when it's most needed like that of when you are playing the opposition second string goalie. 4 goals on 29 shots, how many would they have scored if they had 40 or 45 shots, and what about all this offensive defense where have they gone to in these playoffs they may not have needed overtime at all to settle game seven.

The Knights had more firepower and speeds but chose to gave all that up for a boring defensive style of hockey, well maybe exciting once an awhile but for the most part their plays was boring to watch.

Last edited:

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
That was an amazing series. Hats off to the entire Knights team and organization.

Tyler Parsons is incredible. This was the most nervous I have ever been during a playoff series, including our West Finals vs. SSM in 2015. Parsons can and will steal games.

Crazy stat is that Erie outshot London 289-181, but Parsons stopped 267 shots, .924 save %. One of, if not the best, OHL goalies I have ever watched.

It doesn't matter if London is the #1 seed, or the #8 seed, I will always hate playing you guys in the playoffs. Seeding doesn't matter when it comes to Knight playoff hockey.

Even scarier knowing that this was a "rebuilding year" for you guys.

I know the majority of the London fanbase will be pulling for Owen Sound, but congrats on your season and thank you for taking us to the ropes. I'm hoping that helps us down the road.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Well it is always a sad time when the season ends and we think of what could have been. Congrats to a great organization who not only play great hockey but make every fan proud because of the way they care about and represent our community. The never say quit attitude was dominant all playoffs and I already and looking forward to next season to see what we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->