London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
U18 Semis............USA with Brady Tkachuk-Captain

U18 Semi-Finals Game on Rogers Channel #98 TSN-2
Tonight @ 7:30........USA vs. Sweden.

Brady Tkachuk 6 Games: 1 Goal 5A = 6 Points.......Tied for 12th Leading Scorer
Sean Dhooghe:6 Games:3 Goals 6 A = 9 Points......Tied for 3rd Leading Scorer
Sean Dhooghe 56% Draws..........10th Best
Sean Dhooghe 10+.....................2nd Best Plus-Minus
http://u18worlds2017.iihf.com/en/statistics/#players
LIVE STREAMING is Available on the above website

ooopppsssyy!!
Game was already Played.
USA won 4-3 over Sweden in OT..............Sean Dhooghe gets the Winner!!
Gold Medal Game Televised Sunday @ 6pm on Rogers #98 TSN-2

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Sean Dhooghe............Scores OT Goal Against Sweden

Sean Dhooghe Scores Winning OT Goal
Article:
At 5'3" (160cm) diminutive Sean Dhooghe might be the smallest player in the tournament, but tonight he scored the biggest goal of the week for his Team USA.
"Sean’s been solid," coach John Wroblewski said in under-statement. "He’s gone out and done his job for sure, like everybody else on the team. Everybody’s doing their job and Sean’s job is to create energy and he’s been the beneficiary of some good bounces. Hopefully that continues tomorrow night."
Dhooghe capitalized on a turnover in the Sweden end when Filip Westerlund fell while trying to carry the puck out. Dhooghe collected the loose puck, went in alone, and snuck the puck through the pads of Adam Ahman with only 21 seconds left in the overtime.
"I was so excited," the hero of the night said. "I didn’t know what to feel. It’s not like anything I’ve felt before."
http://u18worlds2017.iihf.com/en/games/2017-04-22/USA-vs-SWE/#statistics-tab
Gold Medal Game:
USA vs Finland
Televised @ 6pm Sunday #98 Rogers

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Owen Sound cuts into Erie time possession by doing so they limits them to under 40 shots(36 with overtime) and get 37 shots on net of their own to come out on the good side of the 4-3 overtime win.

This is what the Knights needed to do and failed to. I think if the Attack can play this system for the duration of the series they will come out on top, Owen Sound in six !!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
This is what the Knights needed to do and failed to.

Owen Sound are not the Knights, they are a superior team on defense and forward. We had Parsons, Parsons or Parsons!
Really happy for OS after the Game 1 debacle it didn't look good but they bounced back nicely, congrats to the Attack.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Owen Sound are not the Knights, they are a superior team on defense and forward. We had Parsons, Parsons or Parsons!
Really happy for OS after the Game 1 debacle it didn't look good but they bounced back nicely, congrats to the Attack.

Defense is played by all six players on the ice from your goaltender to your forwards if anyone fails your system breaks down, same should go for your transition to offense. However the Knights have a system that is geared explicitly on defense first and try to ride one line on offense as much as they can, last year this system worked perfectly with that one line of Marner & co. Not so this season, they could score at will last season forcing their opponents to open up the play making it easier for other knights lines to move in and help out offensively, they did not had that same success this year because their top line was not as productive finding themselves playing catch up hockey. How else do we explain MVS scoring 17 in Oshawa in 37 games and only 3 in London in the whole of 30 games he's played here. The Knights started implementing their defensive system first in the last 6 weeks of the season at the time we started having doubts about the Knights chances this year. !!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Owen Sound cuts into Erie time possession by doing so they limits them to under 40 shots(36 with overtime) and get 37 shots on net of their own to come out on the good side of the 4-3 overtime win.

This is what the Knights needed to do and failed to. I think if the Attack can play this system for the duration of the series they will come out on top, Owen Sound in six !!

Nope. How did the Knights do when shots were closer to equal? No better than when it was lopsided. They didn't have the roster to do what you keep suggesting against Erie. Sure it works against someone they outclass. Just give Erie credit. And Londons gameplan gave them the best chance to win. They came within a goal, "next goal wins" in a game 7, against a better team. Gave them everything they could handle. OT, game 7 as an underdog.....
Perfect gameplan

Maybe, just maybe London wasn't built to be able to limit Erie's possession or work the end boards in Erie's zone with their Fs. Erie's D was better at limiting the cycle game than ours hands down. They do a great job of keeping balance on the ice, limiting odd man rushes, slowing down teams in the neutral zone, positionally sound and great work ethic n dedication to systems.
London couldn't do what you keep repeating and no matter how many more times you say it it couldn't/wouldn't/didn't happen.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I could be wrong, and I don't mind being wrong, sometime just like what Erie has been doing offense is your best defense, match their intensity and you are cutting into their offense. The Knights in my opinion had the horses to match them because they had more depth and they did not used it to their advantage in this series.

They needed to cut into Erie's possession time and shots on goals, can not achieve this by playing defensive hockey and letting Erie have possession and wait for them to keep on attacking your net in your own zone! It work on less talented offensive teams like Windsor but not Erie, Soo and Owen Sound because of their speed and offensive abilities!!! IMHO

Last edited:
Nope. How did the Knights do when shots were closer to equal? No better than when it was lopsided. They didn't have the roster to do what you keep suggesting against Erie. Sure it works against someone they outclass. Just give Erie credit. And London. Gameplay gave them the best chance to win. They came within a goal, "next goal wins" in a game 7, against a better team. Have them everything they could handle. OT game 7 as an underdog.....
Perfect gameplan

Maybe, just maybe London wasn't built to be able to limit Eries possession or work the end boards in Eries zone with their Fs. Eries D was better at limiting the cycle game than ours hands down. They do a great job of keeping balance on the ice, limiting odd man rushes, slowing down teams they the neutral zone, position ally sound and great work ethic n dedication to systems.
London couldn't do what you keep repeating and no matter how many more times you say it it couldn't/wouldn't/didn't happen.
Exactly...The Knights knew going in against Erie their chances relied on Parsons seeing shots and limiting legit scoring chances from Erie. When the Knights limited the chances to less than they had themselves..they won the games. The Knights were overmatched and knew they weren't going to outshoot Erie. They gave Parsons every opportunity to make the saves and almost pulled off the upset. They played their game to a tee. Let Parsons see them and he'll stop roughly 95% of them

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Anytime that you have to rely upon the likes of Salituro and Vande Somple to win offensive battles against a defense like Erie presented, you've basically handicapped the lines they played on. Those two guys just never seemed to fit comfortably, and the play usually died on their sticks. Small wonder that the Knights were outshot by a wide margin.

They really didn't have a dominant #1 line, anything like they had last season, so to attempt a similar game plan was an exercise in futility. They went as far as their players & coaching staff were capable of going. This season simply wasn't their year.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Anytime that you have to rely upon the likes of Salituro and Vande Somple to win offensive battles against a defense like Erie presented, you've basically handicapped the lines they played on. Those two guys just never seemed to fit comfortably, and the play usually died on their sticks. Small wonder that the Knights were outshot by a wide margin.

They really didn't have a dominant #1 line, anything like they had last season, so to attempt a similar game plan was an exercise in futility. They went as far as their players & coaching staff were capable of going. This season simply wasn't their year.

Erie have no defense, offense is their defense, I'd say 75% of the time Erie had the puck only allowing the other team the other 25% to outscore them. They had a good transition because they were not pressed hard and deep in their zone !

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Live............USA vs Finland U18

Live on TSN-1 #30 Rogers.
U18: USA vs Finland.
Sean Dhooghe and Brady Tkachuk playing for USA

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
And Londons gameplan gave them the best chance to win. They came within a goal, "next goal wins" in a game 7, against a better team. Gave them everything they could handle. OT, game 7 as an underdog..... Perfect gameplan.

Kind of disappointing in a way but the coaching staff absolutely prepared the team they had as well as they possibly could to have a chance against a superior club. Actually Dale and his staff deserve more recognition from all of us then they get. He will never be loved outside of London (and he could care less) but he truly is a master of preparing his team for the opponent and also the strengths they have as a team. Again I don't think I have ever seen a club prepared for a playoff run like last years Knights Team, exceptional.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Live on TSN-1 #30 Rogers.
U18: USA vs Finland.
Sean Dhooghe and Brady Tkachuk playing for USA

Can we lure those two over?? That would be amazing! Maybe pull off a trade with the IceDogs and get Josh Norris, and Brady may legit consider coming over to the Knights for his draft year....

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Kind of disappointing in a way but the coaching staff absolutely prepared the team they had as well as they possibly could to have a chance against a superior club. Actually Dale and his staff deserve more recognition from all of us then they get. He will never be loved outside of London (and he could care less) but he truly is a master of preparing his team for the opponent and also the strengths they have as a team. Again I don't think I have ever seen a club prepared for a playoff run like last years Knights Team, exceptional.

I need to admit and support your post on this subject of Dale's excellent work with the Knights !

Yes it's so very easy for someone like myself to get carried away in criticizing the team's performance from the comfort of my lazy-chair by only observing what's on the surface. Dale and co. are right there in the middle and know every little bits that is going on in that dressing room in order to take decisions that best fit his team. We see some players not producing and we try to figure it out from there, we don't know if there are any injuries and adjustments were made, yes I am very guilty of armchair coaching. Give credit where credit is due and Dale is the best coach that London has ever seen !!!

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Erie have no defense, offense is their defense, I'd say 75% of the time Erie had the puck only allowing the other team the other 25% to outscore them. They had a good transition because they were not pressed hard and deep in their zone !

:shakehead

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

It is perfectly OK to disagree with my opinionated posts KnightWatch !!!

My opinions is from a fan and not that of an expert, the controversial is of no malice intent as I do not have all the ins to make a complete sound report on the Knights. I write these posts to get interest and views from other posters, everyone's opinions and infos are always welcome to help us make sense and understand of what has happened, if you and other posters have other views by all mean share them with us in your posts as mine will always be open for discussion !!

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I must say despite being disappointed there are no more games to go to this spring there is no way we should be disappointed with the outcome of this playoff run. These guys pulled it together played Dales way and were one shot from doing what nobody ( including most of us here ) thought they could. Erie was built with more fire power this year. I think our guys got the most out of what we had and had they scored in OT we could be having a very different conversation today.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I must say despite being disappointed there are no more games to go to this spring there is no way we should be disappointed with the outcome of this playoff run. These guys pulled it together played Dales way and were one shot from doing what nobody ( including most of us here ) thought they could. Erie was built with more fire power this year. I think our guys got the most out of what we had and had they scored in OT we could be having a very different conversation today.

I agree !

Very good post, we have got to sit back and truly analyse what all this team has accomplish this year, as you say they came within one shot of doing what many have said they had little chance in a final game seven of overtime they almost pulled it off !!!

I questioned them with the "what if" but I shouldn't of, as they are one of the best if not the very best Junior hockey organization in this country.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Knights

3 players drafted by London in the recent entry draft have been named to the USA Development Team's 23 man roster
They are goalie Cameron Rowe,dman Alex Vlasic and Center Danny Weight.

Should have mentioned for the -17 team.

Last edited:

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
It is perfectly OK to disagree with my opinionated posts KnightWatch !!!

My opinions is from a fan and not that of an expert, the controversial is of no malice intent as I do not have all the ins to make a complete sound report on the Knights. I write these posts to get interest and views from other posters, everyone's opinions and infos are always welcome to help us make sense and understand of what has happened, if you and other posters have other views by all mean share them with us in your posts as mine will always be open for discussion !!

The size, strength and ability of their defense is part of the reason why the Knights, or any other team for that matter, have such a hard time keeping the puck in Erie's zone. They are a well-balanced team from top to bottom (with goaltending really the only question mark) and I'd be very surprised if Owen Sound were able to beat them this round.

...and the fact that London came within a goal of sending them packing is a huge accomplishment when you factor in what each team lost from last season's squads. Just my opinion, of course. ;)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
3 players drafted by London in the recent entry draft have been named to the USA Development Team's 23 man roster
They are goalie Cameron Rowe,dman Alex Vlasic and Center Danny Weight.

Should have mentioned for the -17 team.

Really hoping we see Vlasic in London at some point but I'm not holding my breath ;)
Kid would be a top 4 as early as mid season next year IMO ( which counts for squat lol)

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad