OT: Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I know this is a reoccurring gripe of mine, but why does WGR allow all its "top" radio personalities to take reoccurring vacations during what should be prime time sports coverage every year? Yesterday I tune into WGR for the first time in months thinking I'll hear Jeremy and Howard break down free agency, nope, Howard is on his annual vacation which is always the first week of July which is always when NHL free agency starts. And it's not just that. Schoppe has one during the NHL trade deadline. Howard misses NFL training camp. Someone has one during NFL free agency. I know it's a minor thing, but it just gets so under my skin. There's like 5 big weeks all year for Buffalo sports, and somehow the primetime hosts are allowed to collectively vacation through all of them? Things like this is why I will never see WGR as a legitimate, professional producer of sports media.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I know this is a reoccurring gripe of mine, but why does WGR allow all its "top" radio personalities to take reoccurring vacations during what should be prime time sports coverage every year? Yesterday I tune into WGR for the first time in months thinking I'll hear Jeremy and Howard break down free agency, nope, Howard is on his annual vacation which is always the first week of July which is always when NHL free agency starts. And it's not just that. Schoppe has one during the NHL trade deadline. Howard misses NFL training camp. Someone has one during NFL free agency. I know it's a minor thing, but it just gets so under my skin. There's like 5 big weeks all year for Buffalo sports, and somehow the primetime hosts are allowed to collectively vacation through all of them? Things like this is why I will never see WGR as a legitimate, professional producer of sports media.

Don't forget the dumb narrative, "Something big happens when [radio personality] is on vacation." One of them is on vacation half the year and they take vacations at the time when the probability is high something will happen.

Also, these chumps work 4 hours a day. Is this even considered a full time job where they get like 6 weeks off a year?

Reactions: Franson and Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Don't forget the dumb narrative, "Something big happens when [radio personality] is on vacation." One of them is on vacation half the year and they take vacations at the time when the probability is high something will happen.

Also, these chumps work 4 hours a day. Is this even considered a full time job where they get like 6 weeks off a year?
Yes, I meant to include it! They think it's a tongue in cheek joke, when really it's just completely manufactured nonstory. It's just a special kind of sad that in a market like Buffalo, where sports are such a big part of everyday life, there isn't any competition for genuine sports media.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm not happy with the way The Athletic gives new subscribers a big discount and sticks it to the renewals by charging full price. That's no way to treat early adopters. It's a lot easier to walk away from a magazine subscription than internet services when your deal expires. I copied my referral link and disabled auto-renew. Then when my subscription expired, I resubscribed using the referral link. Make . They gave me, the referrer, a $10 Amazon credit, and me, the referred, 25%. They're currently giving 40% off and a $25 Amazon gift card on referrals.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I'm not happy with the way The Athletic gives new subscribers a big discount and sticks it to the renewals by charging full price. That's no way to treat early adopters. It's a lot easier to walk away from a magazine subscription than internet services when your deal expires. I copied my referral link and disabled auto-renew. Then when my subscription expired, I resubscribed using the referral link. Make . They gave me, the referrer, a $10 Amazon credit, and me, the referred, 25%. They're currently giving 40% off and a $25 Amazon gift card on referrals.

Yeah, but its not just The Athletic that does that. Almost every business does it, including utility companies (electric), internet, and cable services. Until more and more people start shopping around, and until there is enough competition to allow it, that's how business works these days.

I like the Athletic. I happily renewed this year.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the whole resub schtick with constantly changing discounts/perks is obnoxious and annoying. Just like Vogl.

I really hope they add another Sabres writer since Stimpson is working for that Coaches site now. Major analytic hole for Sabres coverage, let alone quality level drop. I'd be very unhappy if the Sabres coverage was just left to Vogl and Yerdon with the occasional Graham cosplay crossover.

Bills seem to have pretty solid coverage.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah the whole resub schtick with constantly changing discounts/perks is obnoxious and annoying. Just like Vogl.

I really hope they add another Sabres writer since Stimpson is working for that Coaches site now. Major analytic hole for Sabres coverage, let alone quality level drop. I'd be very unhappy if the Sabres coverage was just left to Vogl and Yerdon with the occasional Graham cosplay crossover.

Bills seem to have pretty solid coverage.

No love for Joe Yerdon?

Reactions: kummelweck

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
No love for Joe Yerdon?

I like Yerdon and think he does a better quality job as a whole over Vogl. I just think the current Sabres coverage is very much lacking if they don't find an analytics/outsider analyst like Stimpson was, who frankly gave a far more (in my opinion) honest critical accounting then Vogl and supported with more data compared to Yerdon's work (not blaming Yerdon, it's just not really in his wheelhouse so to speak).

edit- I'm somewhat conflating "outsider" and analytics as I generally see using the "numbers"/analytics as making you look outside the local aspects of sports coverage, aka "outsider".

I also use too many quotes around words as a form of emphasis.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
BN is much improved since the big buyout. Lance Lysowksi was a real find. They're producing less content but it's well researched and provides information the fans want to know. If there had been no buyout, Bucky, Sully, and Harrington would still be trading hot takes about the ROR trade and calling for Botterill's big head rather than covering what's actually going on.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I didn't know Bucky Gleason went to go work for Catholic health.

On a side note does any know what Kevin Oklobzija is doing these days? I always thought he provided good coverage on the Amerks. It doesn't look like he has posted on twitter since 2016.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
It sounds like Friedman will be on the instigators every week on Thursday at 11am during the season.

Reactions: joshjull

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Seems like an upgrade over Dreger these days.

I like them both.

giphy.gif

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Didn't know where to put this but can someone clue WGR and Rivet/Peters in that if I want nonstop talk about the goddamned laffs I'd be listening to freaking Taranah sports radio and not the flagship station of the Sabres???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad