OT: Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Really? I shared a story before about how I could tell the Channel 4 producer of the 11PM news back in the early 2000's HATED Don Paul.

But now Don Paul and Mike Randall are coworkers at Channel 7. Wonder how that is working.

Mike

I'm pretty sure the feud was with Kevin O'Connell

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just bought NHL 19. Updated rosters don't have Dahlin. How do you get him? (Last NHL I owned was 12)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Just bought NHL 19. Updated rosters don't have Dahlin. How do you get him? (Last NHL I owned was 12)
Wrong OT thread?

I don't think they are allowed put players on the roster until they've actually played a game in the NHL. So I don't think the Sabres will officially have their full roster in the game with Dahlin until they push out a roster update a few weeks into the start of the regular season.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Stimson: What we can learn from expected goals models and...

The other night I discovered an interesting nugget of information while looking through some data. I was digging into some of the passing data collected during the 2015 – 2016 season and found that of the 9,000 point shots at 5v5 play, you have an equal chance to score or give up an odd-man rush. This stuck with me for a day or two and I had to dig deeper.

If there are levels of risk associated with shooting or passing to and from specific areas of the ice, are there ways we can quantify the total expected value from both an offensive and defensive standpoint? Are there more valuable areas of the ice to create offense from based not on the shot or pass taken from that area, but because of the follow-up play? What kind of stress does a pass across the slot, to the point, from the walls or from below the goal line put on teams for the next 10, 20 or 30 seconds?

Pretty interesting read for the more analytical minds

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Wrong OT thread?

I don't think they are allowed put players on the roster until they've actually played a game in the NHL. So I don't think the Sabres will officially have their full roster in the game with Dahlin until they push out a roster update a few weeks into the start of the regular season.

Whoops, so it is. If someone wants to move this to the correct OT thread.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I mean, I guess I just don't understand how WGR can spend ALL DAY today talking about the sad-sack Bills, when the Sabres just had their best weekend in years and are actually looking like they'll have a season this year.

Yeah yeah, I know it's "football Monday." Who cares? The Bills season is over in all but name. Time to get more hockey talk.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Bucky Gleason and JerrySullivan have a show on 1270am? Has anyone ever listened to it? It must be those 2 doing nothing, but complaining about Buffalo sports for 3 hours a day 5 days a week.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny to hear the morning show finally talking about how this is not just one season of failure, it's two. Not so high on the early adopter scale, eh guys?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
BN is on the rise.
The Athletic is still the best but is dragged down by Vogl the Secret Sabre Shill.
WGR is a mess. It needs a BN style house cleaning. The Pegula's should be embarrassed to have that as the flagship station for the Bills and Sabres.

Reactions: Husko and Baccus

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
BN is on the rise.
The Athletic is still the best but is dragged down by Vogl the Secret Sabre Shill.
WGR is a mess. It needs a BN style house cleaning. The Pegula's should be embarrassed to have that as the flagship station for the Bills and Sabres.
Not even 5 posts above there is an article that states WGR is doing well year over year, including independent shows run by the Sabres and Bills.

I agree that WGR and the Athletic can feel a bit fluffy at times but they’re both solid. The two outlets have a solid balance between “old man yells at sky” (Pham and Murphy) and more progressive ideas (Stimson, Jeremy, Schopp). Not everyone wants to hear about grit all the time and the same with analytics. IMO they have a pretty solid stable of shows and articles that caters to different demographics and interests, and given both are doing well the numbers seem to back that up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Blast from the past this morning as The Instigators has Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre on. Such a toolsie player, such an odd career.

Reactions: Husko

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
IMO they have a pretty solid stable of shows and articles that caters to different demographics and interests

Ehh, not really. When Donald Jones left the station and was replaced by Steve Tasker, it left the station as 100% white guys.

Shows

No women and no minorities amongst either the hosts or regular guests.

Hey, I'm a white guy myself, and I get that diversity of opinion is a kind of diversity. But come on - WGR is not "demographically diverse" by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: Husko and Baccus

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ehh, not really. When Donald Jones left the station and was replaced by Steve Tasker, it left the station as 100% white guys.

Shows

No women and no minorities amongst either the hosts or regular guests.

Hey, I'm a white guy myself, and I get that diversity of opinion is a kind of diversity. But come on - WGR is not "demographically diverse" by any stretch of the imagination.
I liked Donald Jones and was bummed when he left.

Reactions: Husko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad