Line Combos: Lineup 2017-2018 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
On paper the forward group is really good, one of the best in the league. But when it comes to practice they can't score.

(Goals they could easily score)

Patches (38) - Drouin (25) - Gallagher (25)

Galchenyuk (32) - Danault (20) - Shaw (20)
Hudon (15) - Plekanec (15) - Lekhonen (18)
Byron (18) - De La Rose (5) - Hemsky (12)

For a total of 243 goals.

In comparaison here's the Penguins roster, they were the beat scoring team in 2016-2017.

Kunitz (9) - Crosby (44) - Sheary (23)
Hagelin (6) - Malkin (33) - Kessel (23)
Rust (15) - Bonino (18) - Hornqvist (21)
Wilson (8) - Cullen (13) - Guentzel (16)

For a total of 229 goals.

Our forward group will probably end up scoring only ~200 goals thought lol

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
On paper the forward group is really good, one of the best in the league. But when it comes to practice they can't score.

(Goals they could easily score)

Patches (38) - Drouin (25) - Gallagher (25)

Galchenyuk (32) - Danault (20) - Shaw (20)
Hudon (15) - Plekanec (15) - Lekhonen (18)
Byron (18) - De La Rose (5) - Hemsky (12)

For a total of 243 goals.

In comparaison here's the Penguins roster, they were the beat scoring team in 2016-2017.

Kunitz (9) - Crosby (44) - Sheary (23)
Hagelin (6) - Malkin (33) - Kessel (23)
Rust (15) - Bonino (18) - Hornqvist (21)
Wilson (8) - Cullen (13) - Guentzel (16)

For a total of 229 goals.

Our forward group will probably end up scoring only ~200 goals thought lol

Yeah, your projections are deliberately high just so not achieving those goals comes off as a dismal fail. Really not sure that a line of Galchenyuk - Danault - Shaw gets those totals in goals, nor that Gallagher gets 25 (closer to 20, IMO), even if Galchenyuk ends up getting most of his goals on the PP.

I can see us losing 20 goals off the first two lines, easy.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Yeah, your projections are deliberately high just so not achieving those goals comes off as a dismal fail. Really not sure that a line of Galchenyuk - Danault - Shaw gets those totals in goals, nor that Gallagher gets 25 (closer to 20, IMO), even if Galchenyuk ends up getting most of his goals on the PP.

I can see us losing 20 goals off the first two lines, easy.

Well of course those are ceilling ...

I also took into consideration that the players will change line eventually. No way Byron gets 18 goals solely on the 4th line he'll have his chances in the Top 9. Galchenyuk will probably play on the top line too.

Those totals are not deliberately high lol

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sign Tavares next summer, and we got no more holes anymore.
Very solid center depth ✓
Deep at wing ✓
Number 1 defenseman ✓
PMD playing with Weber ✓
D-corps that can skate and pass ✓
Best goaltender in the world ✓
Solid backup goalie ✓
Top 5 coach in the league ✓

Forward cap space used: 39.6 m

Galchenyuk (4.9m) - Tavares (10m) - Lehkonen (0.8 m)
Pacioretty (4.5 m) - Drouin (5.5 m) - Gallagher (3.75m)
Hudon (0.65 m) - Danault (3 m?) - Shaw (3.9 m)
Byron (1.1 m) - De la Rose (0.7 m) - McCarron (0.8 m)

Defense cap space used: 24.7 m

Jerabek (3 m?) - Weber (7.8 m)
Alzner (4.6 m) - Petry (5.5 m)
Mete (0.7 m) - Schlemko (2.1 m)
Benn (1 m)

Goaltending cap space used: 11. 2 m
Price (10.5 m)
Lindgren (0.7 m)

Coach: Claude Julien

Total cap space used: 75.5 million

Current salary cap is 75 million but if it increases by a couple million next year, no problem.
Otherwise, trade Shaw or Pacioretty (since we might not be able to re-sign him) to make cap space room.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Up front, I would start the season with the following combinations:

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Danault - Shaw
Byron - Plekanec - Lekhonen
Hudon - De La Rose - Hemsky

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Our success offensively will depend on Lehkonen and Hudon both breaking out big time as legit 2nd line contributors. As Drouin replaces Radulov's output but losing Markov on top makes for a net loss offensively.

Not entirely impossible it happens but it's asking alot.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For 2018-2019 come playoffs if we do nothing.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Poehling-Lehkonen
Hudon-Danault-Shaw
Byron-DLR-McCarron

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Jerabek-Lernout

Price
Lindgren

Not bad. Should MB just not do anything until 2019? lol

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our success offensively will depend on Lehkonen and Hudon both breaking out big time as legit 2nd line contributors. As Drouin replaces Radulov's output but losing Markov on top makes for a net loss offensively.

Not entirely impossible it happens but it's asking alot.

Personally, we need to give up on the Habs being a top 5 or top 10 NHL team in scoring. We need to ensure we are in the top 5 in defense and we need to ensure our PK and PP are in the top 10. If we can do this, we will be a very tough team to play against. And of course, we need to carry this same play into the playoffs.

It's a team game and we need to win as a team. Putting pressure on Lehkonen and Hudon to break out is not realistic. We need to allow these kids to play a simple game and gain experience and confidence. It sounds boring but we need to score by committee and have scoring from our bottom 6 as well. but like I said, our PP and PK needs to be good if we are going to be a great team. Faceoff winning % is also an area we need improvement

Reactions: No More Subban

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Personally, we need to give up on the Habs being a top 5 or top 10 NHL team in scoring. We need to ensure we are in the top 5 in defense and we need to ensure our PK and PP are in the top 10. If we can do this, we will be a very tough team to play against. And of course, we need to carry this same play into the playoffs.

It's as unrealistic to expect much success with our current offense.

In 17 years, two teams outside the top 10 in scoring have won the cup...And of them the Kings were without question better built up front.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's as unrealistic to expect much success with our current offense.

In the last 17 years, two teams won the Cup while not boasting a top 10 offense...And of them the Kings were without question better built up front.

So now we are talking about the Habs winning a cup with this roster? Even if Hudon and Lehkonen have break out years, we are not likely to win a cup. Possible but not probable. The key to our success is to keep improving our roster and we are going to be making a move here soon to spend some cap space. We are not winning the cup with our current core by scoring like the Pens. Forget about it. It's a dream. Our best strategy is to be one of the best on D and also to have a great PK and PP.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
So now we are talking about the Habs winning a cup with this roster? Even if Hudon and Lehkonen have break out years, we are not likely to win a cup. Possible but not probable. The key to our success is to keep improving our roster and we are going to be making a move here soon to spend some cap space. We are not winning the cup with our current core by scoring like the Pens. Forget about it. It's a dream. Our best strategy is to be one of the best on D and also to have a great PK and PP.

I must say I disagree , we are closer to having a top offense (not close) than having a top D. Our only claim to fame is our goaltending and even then our backup is nothing special (unless Lindgren gets the call).

We can't reproduce other teams method for winning the cup since the lockout , it's just not possible. It requires multiple years of tanking , luck to get generational talent and capitalizing on having a plethora of elite skill on your team.

We essentially have to break the current mold to even attempt to win a cup , I think our best bet is to go with depth. All around strong depth at all positions and hope that we remain healthy enough to make a serious run while hoping for more favorable matchups.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I must say I disagree , we are closer to having a top offense (not close) than having a top D. Our only claim to fame is our goaltending and even then our backup is nothing special (unless Lindgren gets the call).

We can't reproduce other teams method for winning the cup since the lockout , it's just not possible. It requires multiple years of tanking , luck to get generational talent and capitalizing on having a plethora of elite skill on your team.

We essentially have to break the current mold to even attempt to win a cup , I think our best bet is to go with depth. All around strong depth at all positions and hope that we remain healthy enough to make a serious run while hoping for more favorable matchups.

Let me get this straight... you think we are closer to having a top 5 Offense vs a top 5 defense? If so, You can't be serious!! I think you have too much faith in Price and that you think we are nothing without him. Your not the only one so I hope this makes you feel better about it.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Well if the goal is to keep improving the roster (that 8.5M has to go somewhere) and at the very least to add another piece to our top 6 doesn't this naturally imply we'd be nearing top 10 team scoring territory? Which you said we have to forget. I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to say.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Let me get this straight... you think we are closer to having a top 5 Offense vs a top 5 defense? If so, You can't be serious!! I think you have too much faith in Price and that you think we are nothing without him. Your not the only one so I hope this makes you feel better about it.

I think you are the one overating our D , just for fun :

D that I would take before the Habs (just in the East) :

Panthers
Philly
Carolina
Tampa
Ottawa
NYR

O that I would take before the Habs (just in the East) :

Washington
Pittsburgh
Leafs
Tampa
Boston (somewhat debatable)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So ran thus through cap friendly, assuming cap goes up it standard 2 mill this works assumin we replace schlemko with a prospect. (yes tavares ufa Longshot but I can dream)

Patches-Drouin-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-tavares (10m)-Lehkonen
Hudon-Danault(5-6year3-3.75m)-Shaw
Byron-Delarose-mccarron (all at about 1m)

Dcore
Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Benn-Juulsen

7th d and 13th forward are some guys we got at 700kish

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Nice to hear Schlemko is back on the ice, Streit at this point is terrible, so we need a healthy Schlemko or at least a ready Jerabek. If Mete is ready to make the jump for a full season, I have no issues with our D whatsoever.

I think something people are failing to take into consideration is that we are now rolling with 4 forwards on the PP. What we need from our D primarily is the ability to defend 5 on 5 and on the PK. We've got a great group for that IMO. Mete-Weber were custom built for each other, while Alzner-Petry is a great 2nd pair. The third pair is the biggest question mark atm, but with Benn-Schlemko when healthy, and Jerabek-Lernout knocking on the door we've got a good group. The weakness of Streit is a result of an injury to Schlemko and the adapting of Jerabek so he shouldn't be on the roster for long.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I'd like to see a lineup of :

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Danault - Galchenyuk
Hudon - Plekanec - Hemsky
Byron - DLR - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Jerabek - Benn/Schlemko

durojean

May 29, 2007
I want to see Galchenyuk at center even if you don't have confidence in him.

I'd be really comfortable with a line-up like that.

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Lekhonen Plekanec Hudon
Byron Danault Shaw
Delarose/Mitchell Galchenyuk Hemsky

Apr 28, 2010
I want to see Galchenyuk at center even if you don't have confidence in him.

I'd be really comfortable with a line-up like that.

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Lekhonen Plekanec Hudon
Byron Danault Shaw
Delarose/Mitchell Galchenyuk Hemsky

Man, I would rather trade Chuckie if people are just going to pencil him as a 4th line centre. It doesn't make sense. I do not want to trade him but he does still have a high value.

Top 6 is where he should be. Don't care what position.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mucho respect all around here y'all is really doing it big this season. So my question is, is Hemsky playing on your top powerplay line with Drouin and the other mates?

durojean

May 29, 2007
Man, I would rather trade Chuckie if people are just going to pencil him as a 4th line centre. It doesn't make sense. I do not want to trade him but he does still have a high value.

Top 6 is where he should be. Don't care what position.
My point would be more to give him his confidence back for a few game. Plus he'd actually play with player with offensive upside.

I'd rather have him as a fourth line center than at wing with Danault and Shaw. The makeup of that line is wrong plus Danault and Byron have proven chemistry.

With Galch on the fourth line you could put him in a position where he already produced and that we need more. You can shelter him to the maximum to cover his lack of defensive capabilities and you could take your time with him regaining his confidence.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Nice to hear Schlemko is back on the ice, Streit at this point is terrible, so we need a healthy Schlemko or at least a ready Jerabek. If Mete is ready to make the jump for a full season, I have no issues with our D whatsoever.

I think something people are failing to take into consideration is that we are now rolling with 4 forwards on the PP. What we need from our D primarily is the ability to defend 5 on 5 and on the PK. We've got a great group for that IMO. Mete-Weber were custom built for each other, while Alzner-Petry is a great 2nd pair. The third pair is the biggest question mark atm, but with Benn-Schlemko when healthy, and Jerabek-Lernout knocking on the door we've got a good group. The weakness of Streit is a result of an injury to Schlemko and the adapting of Jerabek so he shouldn't be on the roster for long.

Streit is not an everyday player, but he can fill in occasionally, paired with Jerabek I think he would help with the transition.

Schlemko is the better fit. Better skater. More physical. Kills penalties, which takes pressure off the rook. Streit's PP utility can be easily replaced by a 2nd pairing of Mete-Petry. Chemistry still a work in progress. I want to see Schlemko play on this team. He is coming off a year of tutelage from Larry Robinson who know a thing or two about defense. I think it's important to get 15 solid minutes out of the 3rd pairing to keep Weber's minutes around 25-27 per night.

Given the choice between Davidson, Morrow and Streit who gets waived first? Morrow is my guess.

I think Jerabek-Lernout can progress throughout the year. At the entry level still, they will have to make their mark when called upon. I believe the organization would be wise to confer this entire season to Juulsen's development, allow him to adjust to the size, pace and structure of pro hockey.

Aside from Drouin, the most notable change is the defense. It is the most Canadian defense I can recall in a long time, and playing with more pace will help the team's transition game.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like Pacioretty is gonna do his thing regardless of what center he plays with so I find his talents a bit wasted playing with Drouin. I’d rather see:

Lehkonen - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Hudon - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - De La Rose - Hemsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00