Line Combos: Lineup 2017-2018 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Good for you, going back months and cherry picking a quote. Nice.

I stand by what I said. Byron and Shaw are third liners. Nothing that happened tonight changes that. If Shaw and Byron are staples in your too 6, your team is in trouble. If Byron has another 20 goal year and puts up 45 points, then I'll reconsider. But at the time of that post, and at this time now, Byron and Shaw are best served on the third line.

Fine, I can see that as a great third line with Danault in the middle.

But Galchenyuk could and should easily be ahead of Hudon and possibly Lehkonen for a top 6 or top 9 role. Neither of those two players has a proven NHL track record of 0.7 PPG or more at times.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Fine, I can see that as a great third line with Danault in the middle.

But Galchenyuk could and should easily be ahead of Hudon and possibly Lehkonen for a top 6 or top 9 role. Neither of those two players has a proven NHL track record of 0.7 PPG or more at times.

I'm more worried about Hudon cooling off, Plekanec having more senior moments and Lehkonen having a slump than I am about Galchenyuk being able to score.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Opening lines; What I want.

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon- Plek - Lekhonen
Byron- Danault - Shaw
Galchenyuk- De la rose - Hemsky

Jerabek - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Mete - Benn
Putting the habs 2nd best goal scorer on the 4th line is a terrible idea and even kills is trade value. :eek:

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
Shaw can play in the top 6 if needed. It's crazy how underrated this guy is. I liked Eller, I wasn't happy about the trade that sent two 2nd round picks for him, but Shaw is a really good hockey player. People seem to forget that last year, there were only two players that could get the puck across the offensive zone without having to dump it (Shaw and Radulov). Galchenyuk could be included, but for him it was either hit or miss. When he plays, Shaw is a really effective hockey player and having him on the third line is a huge boost in my opinion.

Losing Subban really exposed the fact that this team couldnt enter the offensive zone with a carrier, but you can see how this changed a lot in the preseason. No more puck dumping, Julien put in place a system where players pass the puck behind them two or three times before entering the zone from the middle and passing it on the sides. It's a smart and effective transition game that could help us a lot during the season.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Shaw can play in the top 6 if needed. It's crazy how underrated this guy is. I liked Eller, I wasn't happy about the trade that sent two 2nd round picks for him, but Shaw is a really good hockey player. People seem to forget that last year, there were only two players that could get the puck across the offensive zone without having to dump it (Shaw and Radulov). Galchenyuk could be included, but for him it was either hit or miss. When he plays, Shaw is a really effective hockey player and having him on the third line is a huge boost in my opinion.

Losing Subban really exposed the fact that this team couldnt enter the offensive zone with a carrier, but you can see how this changed a lot in the preseason. No more puck dumping, Julien put in place a system where players pass the puck behind them two or three times before entering the zone from the middle and passing it on the sides. It's a smart and effective transition game that could help us a lot during the season.

I totally agree about Shaw. The only concern I ever had about him is his discipline. But last year was a bit of an anomaly (look at his career) and he's been better since Julien came in.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Currently at 5vs5 Galchenyuk he is our 4th best left winger. I would started him on the 4th with plenty off PP time and move him up once he heat up. Of course during the year I expect him to climb into the top 6 or 9. Hudon will probably drop off a bit but right now he's playing better then Galchenyuk and is much better defensively. I like the idea of having a 3rd line that you can put on other team best line and basically in every situations.

We could have made a case for putting Galchenyuk on the right on the 3rd but Shaw is having himself a very good camp and deserved to start there. People have no clue how good Byron is... elite PKer, very good defensively, would be a lock to 20 to 25 goals every years with PP times and the sheltered mins that Chucky is getting.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Currently at 5vs5 Galchenyuk he is our 4th best left winger. I would started him on the 4th with plenty off PP time and move him up once he heat up. Of course during the year I expect him to climb into the top 6 or 9. Hudon will probably drop off a bit but right now he's playing better then Galchenyuk and is much better defensively. I like the idea of having a 3rd line that you can put on other team best line and basically in every situations.

We could have made a case for putting Galchenyuk on the right on the 3rd but Shaw is having himself a very good camp and deserved to start there. People have no clue how good Byron is... elite PKer, very good defensively, would be a lock to 20 to 25 goals every years with PP times and the sheltered mins that Chucky is getting.

it's amazing how fast Byron goes from underrated to overrated.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
I dont understsand why Jerabek is cut .. probably cause he has a 2way contrat. Davidson, Streit, Morrow are way behind him.

That mean Mete is starting the year with Weber.

Mete-Weber
Alzner- Petry
Davidson/schlemko- Benn

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
My final line-up to start the season, not a far cry from my pre-preseason lineup:

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky
(De La Rose, Martinsen)

At forward I've basically switched Byron & Galchenyuk and Gallagher & Lehkonen swapped spots.

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko
(Streit)

Before preseason I had Schlemko with Weber and Streit with Benn. I know he'll have ups and downs but Mete really impressed me.

Price
Montoya

Lindgren was better than Montoya during training camp but I still think Montoya is a good backup (better than his preseason) and Lindgren should get more starts in the AHL.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
it's amazing how fast Byron goes from underrated to overrated.

The average habs fans don't know how valuable Byron is to the team. Things change fast in the nhl.

Danault is another one. 1 vs 1 in a trade. I would take Danault before Galchenyuk. Most fan would think this is crazy. If you take into account that one is a Center... the salary and everything..

Maybe I'm just a big Galchenyuk hater :P

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
My final line-up to start the season, not a far cry from my pre-preseason lineup:

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky
(De La Rose, Martinsen)

At forward I've basically switched Byron & Galchenyuk and Gallagher & Lehkonen swapped spots.

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko
(Streit)

Before preseason I had Schlemko with Weber and Streit with Benn. I know he'll have ups and downs but Mete really impressed me.

Price
Montoya

Lingren was better than Montoya during training camp but I still think Montoya is a good backup (better than his preseason) and Lingren should get more starts in the AHL.

Up front, I'd rather see:

Pacioretty - Drouin - Lehkonen
Hudon - Plekanec - Galchenyuk
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hemsky - Mitchell - Gallagher
(De La Rose, Martinsen)

Hudon could set up Galchenyuk and vice versa, without relying on Plekanec to do so, but Plekanec (along with Hudon, to some degree) would bring enough defensive reliability to this line to have them play quality minutes.

Byron-Danault-Shaw has the potential to be a great two-way third line.

Lehkonen is a better fit, IMO, on the first line's RW, with better finishing skills than Gallagher to go alongside a playmaker like Drouin and solid defensive skills to complement the C and the LW on that line.

Gallagher should be packaged with draft picks and/or prospects to land a better C to play between Hudon and Galchenyuk (i.e., if possible, for RNH):

Pacioretty - Drouin - Lehkonen
Hudon - RNH - Galchenyuk
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Mitchell/Hemsky - Plekanec - Hemsky/Mitchell
(De La Rose, Martinsen)

Awesome lineup, IMHO.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
2 positives about our lineup:

1. We don't have a crappy line (a 4th line with Galchenyuk and Hemsky is a pretty damn good 4th line).
2. The emergence of Mete really helps damper losing Markov. I just PRAY Mete doesn't get hurt. He's good enough to be an NHLer. I just worry about his health, given his small 19 year old frame.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
To me the lines are set, for now, with the exception of who will play with Galchenyuk and Hemsky on the "4th line"

The candidates are De la Rose, Mitchell, Martinsen, and Froese.

I think Mitchell has the most offense and can play center if need be. But the job should go to however plays best with them.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The more I think about it, there are a lot of ways to get Chucky going, especially if he manages to play center

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Shaw Galchenyuk Hemsky
Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen
Byron Danault Mtichell (remember how good this line was at the start of last season)

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Byron Galchenyuk Hemsky
Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen
De la Rose/Mitchell Danault Shaw

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

Of them all, the only one that kinda surprised me was Holland. But if it comes down to Holland or Mitchell, based on everything outside of this camp to date it's hard not to go with Mitchell.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Jerabek deserved to make the team but the 2-way contract screwed him. He'll be up sooner than later.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
What exactly does Jerabek having a 2-way contract mean for sending him down? I think many are confusing 2-way and waiver exempt. I seriously doubt the 2-way contract (which means the Habs save less 900k over an entire year if he is never called up) is the reason he was sent down. The fact that he is waiver exempt makes a bit more sense, however I would not be worried about anyone picking up are spare D on waivers, and if they do; good riddance.

Jerabek was sent down to give Mete a good look and to give Jerabek a ton of minutes in Laval. Nothing more, nothing less.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The bottom line is, we may not be in as bad shape as I thought we would be.

If Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher line can hold it down, and the Byron Danault Shaw and Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen lines can continue to play well, all we need is to get Chucky going.

We've got to find the player to play with the Chucky-Hemsky duo. If De la Rose, Mitchell, Martinsen, Shcerback, McCarron, Froese, or Holland can't do it, we've got to look outside the organization or take one of these seven players and see if they can play well on the Plekanec or Danault line and find someone from the Danault or Plekanec lines that can play well with the Chucky-Hemsky duo.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
With recent cuts, this is what I'd try out:

Hudon - Galchenyuk - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Shaw
DeLaRose - Plekanec - Hemsky
Martinsen - Mitchell

I think Hudon's IQ can follow Galchenyuk's madness. Hudon and lehkonen are so responsible that it could balance out Galchenyuk's lapses. Hudon has played center and I would like to try Lehkonen also in the faceoff dot to par - again - Galchenyuk's lesser qualities.

Demoting Galchenuyk is the wrong strategy. It will ultimately destroy any confidence he has left. He is a player that needs to be pampered by mommy to boost artificially his self esteem. It will be hard for him to be in Drouin's shadow.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Jul 6, 2016
First two lines:

Patches-Drouin-Gally or Galchy
Lehkonen-Plekky- Gally or Galchy

Bottom two lines:

Byron-Danault-Shaw
Hudon-DLR-Martinsen, or Mitchell or Hemsky

Galchy has to be put on RW on one of the top two lines + PP time on 1st unit. If he fails, then trade him.

Hudon can wait and take experience on the 4th line for the time being.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
As it seems actually,
Hudon - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Galchenyuk - Danault - Shaw
Byron - De La Rose - Hemsky

We expected a deep group of forwards and the performances of Hudon helped to confirm it. Now if Galchenyuk can get his head out of his butt, it would become a crazy top-12.

I expect good things from Byron - De La Rose duo, and with Hemsky as a trio.
The kind of wingers with whom De La Rose (if he continue to play like he does actually) could get his share of points with his fast and heavy 200ft north-south game. They should create regular scoring chances.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty - Drouin - Chucky
Hudon - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Gallagher
Shaw - Mitchell/JDLR - Hemsky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events