Line Combos: Lines this morning II (discuss latest lines & pairings here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Huh? You're aware that he's played with Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk this season right?

In the playoffs he's gonna play with DD and underperform yet again... DD sucks in the playoffs, it's actually a huge liability.

HabsDieHard*

Huh? You're aware that he's played with Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk this season right?

556 of his minutes at Even Strength have been played on a line with Desharnais.

Pacio-Deshanrais-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise

That's well in excess of 50% of his ice time being played with Desharnais.

Not sure 10 games with Galchenyuk and making up a story about Galchenyuk not being comfortable at center really counts.

Point is, there are opportunities to try and establish a better option than Desharnais with Pacioretty, but Therrien refuses to give them a real chance.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Ive seen some people suggest to put McCarron and Scherbak in the lineup. I dont think that's realistic.

Maybe Hudon (like Subban did)

I would try him couple games at the end of the season to see what he's got.

HabsDieHard*

Plekanec is a good example of this as well.

He has 90 minutes played wtih Pacioretty and Weise, which is his most common line with Pacioretty.

The Eller-Plekanec-Galchenyuk trio has as much ice time as the Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher.

The teams' best center, and its' best wingers (I will refer to Gallagher as a better winger than Galchenyuk for as long as the orgnaization continues to refer to Galchenyuk as a center) and its' been together as much as a line with Plekanec, a 3rd line center as his left wing, and a left winger/center as his right winger.

It's almost as though he purposely puts together illogical lines so that he can continue to fall back on the Desharnais-Pacioretty combo.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If we looked to the future by only dwelling on the failures in the past, we will forever be a failure.

Price was never as good as he is now. Should he have told himself that this was not possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
556 of his minutes at Even Strength have been played on a line with Desharnais.

Pacio-Deshanrais-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise

That's well in excess of 50% of his ice time being played with Desharnais.

Not sure 10 games with Galchenyuk and making up a story about Galchenyuk not being comfortable at center really counts.

Point is, there are opportunities to try and establish a better option than Desharnais with Pacioretty, but Therrien refuses to give them a real chance.

And in those 10 games playing center Galchenyuk and Pacioretty looked good and they were producing well together. DD was on the 3rd line as a winger and was working hard but not producing many points so MT decided to move DD back with Pacioretty for no logical reason that I can think of.

What did DD do to earn his promotion back to the top line center during that time? I guess MT wanted to get DD going offensively again like he did last season after DD's terrible start. :dunno:

HabsDieHard*

And in those 10 games playing center Galchenyuk and Pacioretty looked good and they were producing well together. DD was on the 3rd line as a winger and was working hard but not producing many points so MT decided to move DD back with Pacioretty for no logical reason that I can think of.

What did DD do to earn his promotion back to the top line center during that time? I guess MT wanted to get DD going offensively again like he did last season after DD's terrible start. :dunno:

Since at this point in time it makes no sense to move Galchenyuk to center, I'd actaully rather see Pacioretty with Plekanec.

Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Gallagher can be the exploitation line.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-X can be the 2 way/shutdown line, and also provide solid offence.

Problem is that whether it's Weise, Smith Pelley, or Parneteau filling that X, the option is simply not good enough. Maybe Eller could fill that role niely, but expecting him to all of a sudden develop as a solid right winger is as absurd as expecting Galchenyuk to develop into a high end center by playing wing for 200+ games.

****, bad example.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If we looked to the future by only dwelling on the failures in the past, we will forever be a failure.

Price was never as good as he is now. Should he have told himself that this was not possible?

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

What do you want us to discuss, we discuss past games, past seasons, past cups, past players, past coaches.......

It's important we talk about the past, otherwise we're no better than Leaf fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

HabsDieHard*

Great news, after that huge blow out win over the bottom feeding Coyotes Therrien has decided to keep the same lines.

After such a successful road trip it's hard to fault him.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I was checking Beaulieu's TOI for the last games and he seems to be playing a lot less and Gilbert's ice time is increasing.

When Emelin returns, who sits ? Beaulieu, Gonchar or Gilbert ?

Markov-Subban
??-Petry
Emelin-??

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I was checking Beaulieu's TOI for the last games and he seems to be playing a lot less and Gilbert's ice time is increasing.

Markov-Subban
??-Petry
Emelin-??
He's going to sit Beaulieu. No doubt in my mind. It'll be

Markov-Subban
Gonchar-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert

geometrically*

Ive seen some people suggest to put McCarron and Scherbak in the lineup. I dont think that's realistic.

Maybe Hudon (like Subban did)

I would try him couple games at the end of the season to see what he's got.

I wouldn't mind Hudon, but I think they should give a shot at McCarron during the playoffs, he's huge and phsyical and can be a factor for us kind of like Kreider in 2012.

HabsDieHard*

Yeah Beaulieu will be on the outside looking in come playoff time, and he'll spew some rhetoric ******** about teaching the young man to be a better person and how it's all part of the learning experience.

That has been apparent for quite some time.

Malreg

May 12, 2011

Markov-Subban
??-Petry
Emelin-??

I think they will try Emelin on the right side. Gilbert-Petry have been too good together to split up right now.

Markov - PK
Gilbert - Petry
Beaulieu - Emelin

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

What do you want us to discuss, we discuss past games, past seasons, past cups, past players, past coaches.......

It's important we talk about the past, otherwise we're no better than Leaf fans.

Ask Sidney Crosby how many playoff goals he potted last season. History should have proved otherwise, right.

Leafs fans own negativity. Do you want to beat them at their own game?

One of Toronto and Montreal is going to the playoffs. One of those two teams has a shot at having the best record in the NHL. But.........

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Yeah Beaulieu will be on the outside looking in come playoff time, and he'll spew some rhetoric ******** about teaching the young man to be a better person and how it's all part of the learning experience.

That has been apparent for quite some time.

lol it hasn't even happened yet and you're whining about it.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Guys, come on, let's be realistic.

Unless the Habs have their back to the wall in a series and something drastic is needed to try to infuse some life in the team, we aren't gonna see McCarron or Sherbak in the NHL for the playoffs. Maybe if we have 3 or 4 injured fowards then we'll get to see Hudon but that's unlikely as well. PK was in the AHL when he was called up for the playoffs and he had played 2 regular season games with the big club during the season.

Also, on D, Gonchar is the one who should sit, playoffs will be to fast and furious for him. Unless Beaulieu's play drops significantly.

HabsDieHard*

Guys, come on, let's be realistic.

Unless the Habs have their back to the wall in a series and something drastic is needed to try to infuse some life in the team, we aren't gonna see McCarron or Sherbak in the NHL for the playoffs. Maybe if we have 3 or 4 injured fowards then we'll get to see Hudon but that's unlikely as well. PK was in the AHL when he was called up for the playoffs and he had played 2 regular season games with the big club during the season.

Also, on D, Gonchar is the one who should sit, playoffs will be to fast and furious for him. Unless Beaulieu's play drops significantly.

The same Gonchar who continues to be a mainstay on the power play despite literally zero evidence to support his ice time on it?

Throw logic and reason out the window.

Beaulieu is young and inexperienced. He will be on the outside looking in come playoff time.

This is especially obvious when you look at the Gilbert-Petry pair.

There is literally no way in hell they go with an Emelin-Beaulieu pairing.

And why spend time working on 2 right handed guys playing on the same pairing to just go away from it?

The writing is on the wall, Beaulieu will be marginalized and any mistakes he makes will be treated like the end of the world.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
i believe Gonchar sits

i really do.

call it a hunch

but if it IS beaulieu that he leaves out, then all of us have been absolutely right about michel all along.

but itll be gonchar.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
i believe Gonchar sits

i really do.

call it a hunch

but if it IS beaulieu that he leaves out, then all of us have been absolutely right about michel all along.

but itll be gonchar.

Should be Gonchar but I saw a pattern last few games.

Ideally, I want something like this:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Should be Gonchar but I saw a pattern last few games.
Beaulieu's ice-time pattern is actually pretty shocking when you look at his full-season game log. As soon he posts a minus, Therrien slashes his ice-time:

Dec. 20 to Jan. 17: Beaulieu starts at 11:52 and works his way up to the 18-22 minute range.

Jan. 20: Beaulieu is -1 in 20:05.

Jan. 27: Cut to 16:09.

Up to Feb. 7: steady in the 16:00 range, but posts a -1 on Feb. 3.

Feb. 8: Slashed to 8:17, then sub-15:00 for the next several games.

Feb. 18 to 26: Sudden jump to 20+ minutes in the wake of Emelin's injury, but he posts a -2 on the 26th.

Feb. 28: Cut down to 15:42 (note this is the game before Petry's arrival), and down to 10:44 in Arizona, the lowest he's played since Feb. 8.

I honestly didn't expect to see such a stark pattern. Therrien can be such an ass :shakehead

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Ask Sidney Crosby how many playoff goals he potted last season. History should have proved otherwise, right.

Leafs fans own negativity. Do you want to beat them at their own game?

One of Toronto and Montreal is going to the playoffs. One of those two teams has a shot at having the best record in the NHL. But.........

Ok well I will watch your posts, and if you bring up the past; I will call you on it.

We need to see the mistakes we made in the past to IMPROVE for the future.
Unwarranted optimism vs informed realism.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Beaulieu's ice-time pattern is actually pretty shocking when you look at his full-season game log. As soon he posts a minus, Therrien slashes his ice-time:

[...]

I honestly didn't expect to see such a stark pattern. Therrien can be such an ass :shakehead

Wow! That was my feeling as well, but the info you dug up there is pretty telling. Beaulieu basically has no margin. That's dumb.

Gonchar and Gilbert should alternate on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad