Line Combos: Lines this morning II (discuss latest lines & pairings here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Don't sell that 4th line short man - three solid two-way players make a big difference.
He might be saying he doesn't care because all of our fourth liners are pretty solid offensively and defensively (aside from Malhotra).

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Claim it as a business expense of the DoL (Department of Lines). I plan to do that on my taxes with the Tim Horton's doughnut and coffee I'm having right now.

haha, good idea. I see here you made a business trip to Montreal and spent $300 at Hurleys. May I ask the client you were seeing?

"No"

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If Bergevin really envisioned that though. He'd step in. Therrien is under him.

I honestly believe that for as much good as Bergevin does, he sees the weaknesses in this roster and thinks Therrien is doing a good job with his "system." I think there's less weaknesses than Bergevin probably feels there is, but that's not my job - it's his.

I do think that Bergevin prefers centres (and defenseman). I don't really think he's much for wingers, unless they're obviously a Pacioretty. I think we saw that when he picked up a defenseman and two bottom-6 players that can play wing or centre.

And that's why I think Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller, Desharnais, and likely now De La Rose are going nowhere anytime soon.

Also, Bergevin has never coached an NHL team. Yes, he's Therrien's boss, but Bergevin is in no position to micromanage lines, usage, special teams. That's rightly the domain of coaches, for better or worse.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Also, Bergevin has never coached an NHL team. Yes, he's Therrien's boss, but Bergevin is in no position to micromanage lines, usage, special teams. That's rightly the domain of coaches, for better or worse.
True, but he clearly doesn't have much of a problem with it.

And at the end of the day, I guess why should he? He's at the top of the league.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
That's fine, it's just the threat of the chair hitting him that matters.

Therrien has said "good job" to Desharnais far, far, far too many times.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Very close to perfect, IMO. Put Parenteau in place of Weise, drop Weise to the 4th and remove either Flynn or Mitchell (not sure which one plays C).

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Desharnais-Galchenyuk-Parenteau
De La Rose-Eller-Smith-Pelly
Prust-Flynn/Mitchell-Weise

Parenteau is still one of our best potential goal-scorers and needs time to get back to 100%. We get a real 1st line, a potentially solid 2nd that could surprise, and a fantastic bottom-six with real secondary scoring.

Parenteau and Desharnais as wingers with a greenhorn center is "perfection"? That line would get eaten alive in the defensive zone...not a playoff line at all IMO. Parenteau will be out of the lineup altogether for the playoffs....he has not played anything resembling playoff hockey all season..out of shape and very perimeter..no thanks...it's clear why Roy didn't like him..he's not going to win you playoff games.

I agree with Desharnais not being the first-line center obviously..here is what I'd like to see in the playoffs:

Patch Plek DD
Chuck Eller Gally
Mitch DLR DSP/Weise
Prust Flynn Weise/DSP

EGG line reunited for the playoffs....Desharnais on the wing with two responsible fwds like Patch and Pleks might work, makes Desharnais a lot less vulnerable defensively. and he gets to keep playing with his buddy. Still not ideal but it beats the alternative..DD getting eaten alive as number one playoff center.

It was embarrassing to see him up against Kesler last night...he was Kesler's ***** all night long.

Eller was the Habs' best forward last night I thought...he's going to break out of his slump soon. The club needs him to step up like last playoffs, and the best way to do that IMO is to reunite the kid line.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Patches-Galchenyuk-Parenteau (Parenteau is a good playmaker, worth a shot as set-up man imo and he's always complimented high end players well)
Eller-Pleks-Gally (Eller looked good on the LW, so why not continue playing him there, also makes Pleks defensive job easier)
DLR-DD-Weise (two big bodies with DD)
Prust-Flynn/Malhotra/Mitchell-DSP/Mitchell (whatever line, won't make much of a difference, although we could try Prust-Flynn-Mitchell as a sort of shut down line)

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Patches-Galchenyuk-Parenteau (Parenteau is a good playmaker, worth a shot as set-up man imo and he's always complimented high end players well)
Eller-Pleks-Gally (Eller looked good on the LW, so why not continue playing him there, also makes Pleks defensive job easier)
Prust-Flynn/Malhotra/Mitchell-DSP/Mitchell (whatever line, won't make much of a difference, although we could try Prust-Flynn-Mitchell as a sort of shut down line)

stop this makes too much sense

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Well done.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

I wouldn't want to enter the playoffs with DD as the checking line center....and Parenteau can't keep up or battle to get the puck...he'd bog down the top line. I agree with Eller looking good on the wing...if the EGG line is reunited.. Chuck at center would be possible.

Patch Plek DD
Eller Chuck Gally
Mitch DLR DSP/Weise
Prust Flynn Weise/DSP

That lineup makes the most sense to me with the players available.

HabsDieHard*

Hahahaha.

Therrien will never put his little toy on a 3rd line with a 4th liner and a rookie.

Good thing Bergevin went out and acquired 2 more 4th liners hey guys?

And a right shot d-man to play on the 3rd pairing with Gilbert.

Wow, that is a coach and a Gm who have a plan in place to build a contender and are going out and doing it.

I wouldn't want to enter the playoffs with DD as the checking line center....and Parenteau can't keep up or battle to get the puck...he'd bog down the top line. I agree with Eller looking good on the wing...if the EGG line is reunited.. Chuck at center would be possible.

Patch Plek DD
Eller Chuck Gally
Mitch DLR DSP/Weise
Prust Flynn Weise/DSP

Yup. Take the 2 best 2 way forwards this team has and put them with the defensive black hole Desharnais, and use him on the right wing.

That makes literally no sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
So... the goal is to have 0 offense from our top 2 centers? :thumbu:

what offence did DD and Pleks generate last night? They got destroyed. DLR is big and can make plays why must he be defined as 3rd line? He should get a try on the first line ... Patches and Gally score he makes room and plays. As for Eller he can handle the physical game unlike Pleks.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Patches DD PAP
Chucky Pleks Gally
Prust Eller DSP
Weise Mitchell Flynn

Is what i would go with in the playoffs. While DLR proved he can play at the NHL level. I dont think he's ready for playoff hockey yet. This would be our most balanced line up. PAP just gonna have to step up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Patch Plek DD
Eller Chuck Gally
Mitch DLR DSP/Weise
Prust Flynn Weise/DSP

Are you being diplomatic with regards to Plecky's RW? :naughty:
I like what you've done but would prefer DD centering a 4th.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
Pacioretty - DD - DSP
Flynn/Mitchell - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - DLR - Weise

- Give Parenteau 5 games with an offensive line to at least try to get some offense, he had chemistry with them before so keep them together for a few games at least
- Max/DD hardly use their RW, put DSP there and just have him forecheck to open up space for his line and to go to the dirty areas for garbage goals
- Put Eller back at centre, he's sooo much better there and he's also one of our best at faceoffs
- DLR has been good but he's not their offensively yet, put him on the fourth line and use him on the PK

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
im going to attempt to be positive towards the players for the rest of the year (poor effort times aside) because its becoming really difficult to blame literally everyone for inconsistent play.

Players arent being utilized to their optimal levels and arent put in positions to succeed. Until this happens; blame falls on one man

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Parenteau and Desharnais as wingers with a greenhorn center is "perfection"? That line would get eaten alive in the defensive zone...not a playoff line at all IMO. Parenteau will be out of the lineup altogether for the playoffs....he has not played anything resembling playoff hockey all season..out of shape and very perimeter..no thanks...it's clear why Roy didn't like him..he's not going to win you playoff games.

Obviously not "Perfection"; more like "Best of what we've got". Parenteau looks worse in people's fuzzy rear-view mirror than he actually is. Sure, he was meh earlier in the season, but I saw him generate plenty of solid chances that could have gone in, but didn't. He's not the fastest or most physical specimen, but he can do what few on our team can: Put the damn puck in the net. Limited skill set? Yes. It just happens to be the skill set we're missing elsewhere. Patrick Roy is entitled to his opinion, but his player-radar hasn't proven to be any better than Therrien's. Parenteau is here, he's a resource. Why not take him for a spin and see if he can still burn rubber?

I agree with Desharnais not being the first-line center obviously..here is what I'd like to see in the playoffs:

Patch Plek DD
Chuck Eller Gally
Mitch DLR DSP/Weise
Prust Flynn Weise/DSP

EGG line reunited for the playoffs....Desharnais on the wing with two responsible fwds like Patch and Pleks might work, makes Desharnais a lot less vulnerable defensively. and he gets to keep playing with his buddy. Still not ideal but it beats the alternative..DD getting eaten alive as number one playoff center.

It was embarrassing to see him up against Kesler last night...he was Kesler's ***** all night long.

Eller was the Habs' best forward last night I thought...he's going to break out of his slump soon. The club needs him to step up like last playoffs, and the best way to do that IMO is to reunite the kid line.

Other than swapping in Parenteau I have no problem with these lines. For me, our roster is most effective when it rolls four strong, balanced lines. Seeing Weise on the 4th is a good sign that we're weighted on the bottom as well as on top. Still don't know what we've got with Mitchell, Flynn and Smith-Pelly, so it's impossible to do anything but guess where they're best suited. But overall, it's more about balance of strength than individuals tied to any line number.

HabsDieHard*

im going to attempt to be positive towards the players for the rest of the year (poor effort times aside) because its becoming really difficult to blame literally everyone for inconsistent play.

Players arent being utilized to their optimal levels and arent put in positions to succeed. Until this happens; blame falls on one man

Bingo.

And the one player he does put in a position to succeed time and time and time again has shown that he does not take advantage of it.

Therrien deserves to be fired, but if we go into October 2015 with Therrien on the team and Deshanrais playing center it is no longer Therrien who needs to be fired, but Bergevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad