Line Combos: Lines this morning II (discuss latest lines & pairings here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Today PP units by Therrien:

Pac - DD - Galchenyuk - PK - Markov
Eller - Plekanec - Gallagher - Petry - Gonchar

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't mind the lines as they are now...i'd probably make a slight adjustment though

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
De la Rose-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Sadly, you're right about Galchenyuk -- it's probably too late in the season to integrate him at C. There's no reason he can't still become one in the next year or two, but I admit I have no clue what's taking management so long.

As to Desharnais, we've seen he can be successfully moved to another line and to the wing. If our offence dries up Therrien might still shuffle him, as he did a few months ago. But yeah... the safe bet right now is that he stays glued to the 1st line. Only consolation is that our 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines are very nicely balanced and developing really well.

Maybe the trick is to stop thinking of DD as our 1st-line C, and instead think of the Habs as having two 2nd-lines.

Great post. I don't think anyone considers DD a top line center. With the players on this roster, the Habs basically have two 2nd lines and a 3rd and a 4th. Not ideal but it is what it is until Bergevin can finally address it.

I was hoping that he would have picked up a Top 6 winger at the deadline, but he didn't for whatever reason.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I don't mind the lines as they are now...i'd probably make a slight adjustment though

De la Rose-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn

Eller before Plekanec... How did Eller earned a promotion... How would it help the team...

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
So you don't want him there for one game but five? Okaaaaaaay.

I knew you would go out of your way to try to confuse a very simple matter.

Let me repeat: I don't want him as 1C for one game or five games. But if MT did try him out there for whatever reason, five games would give the line time to gel.

Clear now?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eller before Plekanec... How did Eller earned a promotion... How would it help the team...

Not sure how you see that as a promotion...

I think it helps the team because I think Plekanec is the teams best defensive centre, playing with De la Rose (a guy who could learn a lot playing with Plekanec) and DSP could form a very effective checking line.

I also think reuniting the EGG line together makes some sense..might help generate more offense than we've seen from Galchenyuk/Plekanec/Gallagher.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
At this point, I'd like some stability as we head to the playoffs. Pick your top three lines and stick to them as much as possible.

Weise isn't a top line winger but the line plays well with him there so go with it.
Plecky and the two Gs should be a good 2nd line.
The 3rd line has been good.
The 4th line is what it is... energy and good defensively for 8-10 minutes a game.

Give them the next ten games together...

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

I think it helps the team because I think Plekanec is the teams best defensive centre, playing with De la Rose (a guy who could learn a lot playing with Plekanec) and DSP could form a very effective checking line.

I also think reuniting the EGG line together makes some sense..might help generate more offense than we've seen from Galchenyuk/Plekanec/Gallagher.

I would not try EGG tonight...

Tampa has two scoring lines. If I was the coach, I would try Plekanec against there best line (which one is the best after 1 period) and the other against DLR line (are Mitchell line)

We have the Ice advantage, So DD-Patch line could go against the last 2 lines. most of the time. which is a true avantage.

The difference may come from the 4 line... They are stronger in both def and off compared to tampa 4th

Rought night for everyone tonight! No line will have it easy... Tampa, what a team!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Today PP units by Therrien:

Pac - DD - Galchenyuk - PK - Markov
Eller - Plekanec - Gallagher - Petry - Gonchar

I'll never understand what MT's reasoning is with having DD center the Habs #1 PP unit all the time. He's been using DD as the teams #1 PP center for almost 2 full seasons now and in that time the Habs PP has been terrible but yet he continues to throw DD out there.

Yes DD can pass the puck (tunnel vision to Pacioretty mostly) but other than that what does he really bring to a Habs PP? He doesn't shoot so the other team doesn't take him seriously. He can't win board battles for loose pucks. He goes to the front of the net but how much of a deterrent is a 5'7" player on goalies 5-10 inches taller than him.

I'm not crapping on DD for being out there all the time. It's just that I don't understand MT's reasoning for constantly doing it when his teams PP has stunk going on 2 full seasons of doing this. :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'll never understand what MT's reasoning is with having DD center the Habs #1 PP unit all the time. He's been using DD as the teams #1 PP center for almost 2 full seasons now and in that time the Habs PP has been terrible but yet he continues to throw DD out there.

Yes DD can pass the puck (tunnel vision to Pacioretty mostly) but other than that what does he really bring to a Habs PP? He doesn't shoot so the other team doesn't take him seriously. He can't win board battles for loose pucks. He goes to the front of the net but how much of a deterrent is a 5'7" player on goalies 5-10 inches taller than him.

I'm not crapping on DD for being out there all the time. It's just that I don't understand MT's reasoning for constantly doing it when his teams PP has stunk going on 2 full seasons of doing this. :dunno:

I don't mind when it's a 5 on 4...but I can't understand why Therrien sends DD out there during a 4 on 3.

DD's tendencies essentially make it a 3 on 3 cause the other team knows he's not going to shoot

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Or you could, you know... not reunite the EGG line which was pitiful the last time it was together.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Eller
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Gallagher
Flynn - DLR - Smith-Pelly
Prust - Mitchell - Weise

I'd personally try Parenteau on the first line, putting Eller with DLR and Flynn on the 4th. But clearly Parenteau isn't really a part of the line-up when healthy, so this is what I'd like to see.

Hopefully it is something they address. Although I hope we solve the RW situation first. Weise should not be on a Top-6 line. He's had a solid season, no doubt, but when he's on the ice I don't think.. "okay, we can score."

If Bergevin can figure out both wing situations next year, that would be fantastic - but I see us using Galchenyuk as a winger for one more year. That way Bergevin can evaluate where Plekanec stands.

So you would rather have Eller as our top line RW????????

Desharnais did well at wing. Eller brings some defensive responsibility on our second line. Give me the stats on the EGG line to back up the bolded statement. Or you could, you know, look back at what was one of our best lines (until for no reason was split up) last season.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Insanity is also worrying about things you cannot control.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. The Habs will win or lose regardless of what we believe.

OK guys, shut it down. SouthernHab sees no reason to discuss lines, players, coaches, teams or anything else out of our control.

It was fun while it lasted, but HFBoards you cannot exist if we can't discuss things out of our control.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
My ideal roster would look more like this assuming we need more offense.

Patches Galchenyuk PAP - Need to generate offense with top O guys in each position
Eller Plex Gally - Good mix of everything, especially if Eller can put it together.
DD DLR DSP -DD can bring some offense that DSL & DSP could use but still heavy line.
Prust Flynn Weise - Fast, physical and aggressive fore checkers.

Markov PK
Beau Petry
Gonchar Gilbert

2 scoring top lines, a 3rd that is hard to play and can score and a physical, defensively responsible 4th that can skate. Unfortunately, I'll probably never get to see them play together.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Last stretch of the season and we still have a plug on our top line...

Against the weakest team in the West that line looked horrendous except for when Patch got the puck on his stick.

Therrien's inability to see when a line is dysfunctional will come back to bite him in the ass like it did last year with Patch-DD-Vanek.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So you would rather have Eller as our top line RW????????

Desharnais did well at wing. Eller brings some defensive responsibility on our second line. Give me the stats on the EGG line to back up the bolded statement. Or you could, you know, look back at what was one of our best lines (until for no reason was split up) last season.
Clearly said I'd prefer PAP, since I like the current third line.

As for the EGG line... look it up yourself. They got reunited and got lit up down the stretch last year.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Insanity is also worrying about things you cannot control.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. The Habs will win or lose regardless of what we believe.

So why bother posting if you dont want to discuss hockey. You cant control in any how.

Or should we just blast subban at every turn?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'd like to see these lines during the PO:
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Parenteau
DLR - Plekanec - Gallagher
Desharnais - Eller - DSP or Weise
Prust - Mitchell - Weise or DSP

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Gonchar

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

De la Rose-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn

Yes, let's put our most productive and best center on the 3rd line. Brilliant. Let's move Galchenyuk down to the fourth line too while we're at it.
We have issues scoring. Solution: Put the most productive center in a purely defensive role on the 3rd line. Brilliant I tell you!
And of course you will tell me this has nothing to do with how much you ''like'' Plekanec.

Let's ask Plekanec if he thinks playing with Galchenyuk and Gallagher isn't better than with DLR-DSP who combine for 4 points.
You're fooling yourself here. Seriously, how you don't see this as a promotion/demotion is just flat out insane.

Let's turn our best center into a checking center. Smart..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->