Line Combos: Lines this morning II (discuss latest lines & pairings here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
I would really love to see this. Should be the blueprint from now on.

Patches - Galchenyuk - PAP
DD - Pleks - Gallagher
Weise - Eller - DSP
Prust - DLR/Mitchell - Flynn

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Plekanec in 2010-2011 was able to be deployed in a power on power matchup with Andrei Kostitsyn as his winger, there is no reason why a Pacioretty-Plekanec duo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack for PAP.

Pacioretty Plekanec PAP
Eller Galchenyuk Gallagher
Desharnais DLR DSP
I don't care who plays on the 4th.

That was 4 or 5 years ago...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
That was 4 or 5 years ago...

Yeah, thanks for overlooking the point of what I was saying completely to get in your usual cheap shot on Plekanec.

Plekanec's defensive game is still top notch. And considering he's been carrying players defensive for the last 4-5 years, having PAP play with him and Pacioretty, who is another great two-way player, would overcome PAP's defensive shortcomings.

But please, proceed to tell me how Plekanec has no chemistry with anybody, is overrated, overprotected and should be traded for futures on a team trying to contend for a cup in the immediate future

HabsDieHard*

DD - Pleks - Gallagher
Weise - Eller - DSP

If only this team had an inexperienced big, skilled, fast player who could slot in next to Plekanec and Gallagher.

I know he didn't play much last night, but that Sekac kid could have looked really decent in this line up.

I wonder if the Habs had any interest in him in the Summer. I'd like to think so.

He probably just liked the make up of the Ducks more. Or the prestige that comes with playing for a team in Anaheim.

Shame.

Yeah, thanks for overlooking the point of what I was saying completely to get in your usual cheap shot on Plekanec.

If Plekanec played a full season with Pacioretty I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him hit 60 points.

As well, depending on the RW on that line, it could be an elite 2 way line too.

It's a shame Gallagher hasn't developed more of a 2 way game. You'd think playing with another smaller guy like Gionta would have helped.

Ah well, I guess that's what the coaches are here for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Bingo.

And the one player he does put in a position to succeed time and time and time again has shown that he does not take advantage of it.

Therrien deserves to be fired, but if we go into October 2015 with Therrien on the team and Deshanrais playing center it is no longer Therrien who needs to be fired, but Bergevin.

I dont even think he is putting DD in a position to succeed.

He is best suited in a secondary role. Putting him next to Pacioretty he limits his only good trait which is vision.

DD may put up a few less points in a secondary role but his overall game improves as does the balance of the lines

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
haha the joke needs to be over.

We cannot have David Desharnais as our top offensive center.

Eller has no hands to be in top 6.

Our centers should be...

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
de la Rose
Flynn

Move Desharnais and Eller for top 6 wingers if we can.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
xx-Plekanec-xx
xx-de la Rose-DSP
Prust-Flynn-Mitchell

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
haha the joke needs to be over.

We cannot have David Desharnais as our top offensive center.

Eller has no hands to be in top 6.

Our centers should be...

Galchenyuk
Plekanec
de la Rose
Flynn

Move Desharnais and Eller for top 6 wingers if we can.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
xx-Plekanec-xx
xx-de la Rose-DSP
Prust-Flynn-Mitchell
I agree 100%
I would target Frolik to play with Plekanec and Hagelin to play with De la rose.
I will also like to get Eberle out of Edmonton but that might cost too much.

Edit: I would replace Mitchell with Dale Weise though !

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
Also, Bergevin has never coached an NHL team. Yes, he's Therrien's boss, but Bergevin is in no position to micromanage lines, usage, special teams. That's rightly the domain of coaches, for better or worse.
Agreed. He's not Gainey like experienced in both GM & coaching roles. Gainey had marginal success as a bench boss

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm not sure shifting lines is the bottom line answer. Sure it'd help but we have to stop so much/too much perimeter play.

Considering Patches hottest point has been the 20 games he didn't play with DD and now he's cold playing with DD and was previously went cold when playing with DD. It's almost like Patches + DD = cold or something.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Some people are unaware the trade deadline was on Monday.

DD and Eller are here to stay.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Patches-Galchenyuk-Parenteau (Parenteau is a good playmaker, worth a shot as set-up man imo and he's always complimented high end players well)
Eller-Pleks-Gally (Eller looked good on the LW, so why not continue playing him there, also makes Pleks defensive job easier)
DLR-DD-Weise (two big bodies with DD)
Prust-Flynn/Malhotra/Mitchell-DSP/Mitchell (whatever line, won't make much of a difference, although we could try Prust-Flynn-Mitchell as a sort of shut down line)

Approved.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
yeah, right, and grizzly adams had a beard!!

artifacts-images-design_data-FFFF99-thumb-275x274-design-1548.png

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

DD - Pleks - Gallagher
Weise - Eller - DSP

After the CHL playoffs or possibly the Memorial Cup Tournament, the lines will be more like this:

Galchenyuk - Plekanec- Gallagher
Pacioretty - Desharnais - McCarron(Alternating 2nd line minutes with Eller's line)
J.De laRose - Eller - D.Smith-Pelly(Alternating 2nd line minutes with Desharnais line)
Prust - Mitchell - Weise
Flynn - PAP - Alternates (Perhaps Scherbak) = 15 Forwards

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Gilbert
Gonchar - Weaver - Alternates = 8 Defencemen

Price - Tokarski -Relief Goalie = 2 goalies - Total Habs = 25 players

Black Aces in Brossard from Hamilton:

Forwards - Andrighetto, Bournival, Bowman, Carr, Dumont, Hensick, Hudon, Tangradi, Thomas. = 9 Forwards

Defence - Allen, Bennett, Drewiskie, Deitz, Ellis, Finley, Nygren, Pateryn, Tinordi.= 9 Defencemen

Goalies - MacDonald, Condon. = 2 goalies - Total AHLers = 20 players

The Habs depth hasn't looked like this since the 70's, having 20 AHLers & 2 Juniors (McCarron & Scherbak) as depth players to call on in the event of injuries. Six defencemen with NHL experience and seven forwards with NHL experience. The Habs haven't had a team with this much experience/depth going into the Stanley Cup playoffs since they last won the Stanley Cup, IMHO.

Any team that takes the Habs for granted in this year's playoffs, are in for a rude awakening. As a lifelong Hab fan, waiting for the real season to start is almost too hard to take. IMHO the Habs are a team built to play in a long gruelling 4 best of seven series, with a much higher odds of winning than 12 - 1, as the so-called experts have given them. Really happy with the players that Bergevin managed to acquire before the Trade Deadline closed, my feeling is that both Petry & Smith-Pelly will be integral parts of any success the Habs have in this season's Stanley Cup Championship Playoffs. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Plekanec's defensive game is still top notch. And considering he's been carrying players defensive for the last 4-5 years, having PAP play with him and Pacioretty, who is another great two-way player, would overcome PAP's defensive shortcomings.

But please, proceed to tell me how Plekanec has no chemistry with anybody, is overrated, overprotected and should be traded for futures on a team trying to contend for a cup in the immediate future

Well yes he has little chemistry with our other top 6 players, is overrated by Habs fans, for sure is overprotected...but I did not think he should be traded in the middle of the season or at the trade deadline.

I thought it was something that could of been explored during the offseason and this offseason, I think it'll be something to consider once again, if i'm not mistaken, he's headed into the last year of his contract

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
I'd prefer Eller as 3C over DLR. For faceoffs alone. Never mind the other stuff he's better at as well.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Well yes he has little chemistry with our other top 6 players, is overrated by Habs fans, for sure is overprotected...but I did not think he should be traded in the middle of the season or at the trade deadline.

I thought it was something that could of been explored during the offseason and this offseason, I think it'll be something to consider once again, if i'm not mistaken, he's headed into the last year of his contract

Yeah, except again, I wasn't talking about chemistry. Read again.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Some people are unaware the trade deadline was on Monday.

DD and Eller are here to stay.

What's more, DD's assignment is as close to "set in stone" as can be, so any realistic lineups would need to have DD and Patches slotted into the #1 line.

Personally, I'd like to see a lineup that moves away from the "1 offensive line 3 two way lines" we currently have, and at least have a second line more clearly focused on providing offense. I feel Carey Price allows us to play a less defensive oriented game and to take some more chances, so we should at least be using line #2 as a way of seeing just what Galchenyuk can do at C over an extended period of time.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Wait, since when can Nik Scherbak & Mikey McCarrron, two CHLers play in the NHL this year after the CHL season or Mem cup?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
An ideal lineup for me would be:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon Plekanec - Wiese
Desharnais - Eller - Smith Pelly
De La Rose - Mitchell - Flynn
Prust
Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Gonchar

HabsDieHard*

Anyone else not looking forward to another Summer of a bunch of habs fans ragging on Pacioretty for his "bad play" in the playoffs?

Ugh.

What a shame this team has an ignorant stubborn coach who pigeon holes this teams' possibilities by refusing to try Pacioretty with any of the better options that have presented themselves.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Anyone else not looking forward to another Summer of a bunch of habs fans ragging on Pacioretty for his "bad play" in the playoffs?

Ugh.

What a shame this team has an ignorant stubborn coach who pigeon holes this teams' possibilities by refusing to try Pacioretty with any of the better options that have presented themselves.
Huh? You're aware that he's played with Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk this season right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad