Line Combos: Lines this morning II (discuss latest lines & pairings here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nynja*

But playing your best forward with your 4th best center and a 4th line winger REALLY doesn't help the cause.

Oh, it definitely doesnt, it just reinforces the notion that Therrien is a garbage coach, by having an idiotic gameplan and a backwards lineup.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's MT thinking? Obviously, if he switches Dale Weise and Jiri Sekac, this team's goal per game jumps by 2, at least.

Fire him now!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh, it definitely doesnt, it just reinforces the notion that Therrien is a garbage coach, by having an idiotic gameplan and a backwards lineup.

Or reinforces the notion that this roster has the following holes

- top 6 center
- top 6 right wing
- top 4 dman

MT can keep putting his lines in the blender, it won't matter.

HabsDieHard*

There is no top 6 center hole.

Galchenyuk can excel in an offensviely sheltered role and Plekanec can continue to be teh same great 2 way 2nd line center he's been for years.

WHere the problem arises is when the moron coaches forces Desharnais into the top scoring role because he's in love with him.

The team is currently missing a #1 center. No doubt.

But based on his play this year, Galchenyuk can absolutely excel in a sheltered top center role.

And with Plekx and Eller as the 2/3 it is a situation that actaully makes a lot of sense.

But let's just keep making excuses to justify the endless stream of illogical decisions by Therrien

:)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

- top 6 center
- top 6 right wing
- top 4 dman

Yet...explain that one to me. How the heck do you make TONS of changes....every game, every period, every shift and yet you do NOT change the role of a guy like Lars Eller. Everybody struggles....let's change them around. Eller struggles BIG TIME...let's have him rot on his line till he dissapears.....Why? Everybody needs to be put in a situtation to succeed except....Lars Eller? Yes, I agree, this team has glaring holes. But that part about Eller is mindboggling.

HabsDieHard*

Yet...explain that one to me. How the heck do you make TONS of changes....every game, every period, every shift and yet you do NOT change the role of a guy like Lars Eller. Everybody struggles....let's change them around. Eller struggles BIG TIME...let's have him rot on his line till he dissapears.....Why? Everybody needs to be put in a situtation to succeed except....Lars Eller? Yes, I agree, this team has glaring holes. But that part about Eller is mindboggling.

Eller is Therriens' scapegoat.

He can't do it to the 9 million dollar man.

But it's clear, throughout his entire career, that he needs someone to **** on at all times.

So Eller it is.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Even if he scores at a PPG pace for a few games in the playoffs, he still doesn't see any PP time or better line mates. Actually, when he's really on a tear his line gets dismantled to help a certain midget.

Can't imagine how he feels toward Therrien

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

- top 6 center
- top 6 right wing
- top 4 dman

We do not have a hole at top 6 centre....

What most people are frusterated with is Therrien's use of the players we have.

Plekanec is a great centreman, Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall as a centreman. At which point does Therrien concede that Galchenyuk needs to be at centre, as our future number 1 we need to get him there.

IMO he looked good at centre.

And saying sarcastically that Sekac isn't an improvement over Weise doesn't make it true. You wont find many people on here who wouldn't put Sekac over Weise on the top line.

We have better options at 1C and 1RW ON OUR ROSTER, sure we need to improve at RW, but why not use what we currently have until that deal can be made?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't understand it either.

I also don't understand how DD always seems to be the defacto solution to everything. We have Galchenyuk, he showed promise with Max... so why not put him there? If you have to swap Max out from Pleks (something I don't think needed to be done to begin with) then why not Galchenyuk? MT isn't going to do it for Eller... well, okay but why DD? I mean our first line is now Max, DD and Weise? Just doesn't make any sense at all.

HabsDieHard*

if I were Eller I'd be focusing the ire on the General Manager who hired the cowardly little bully.

Because cowardly little bullies will do waht they do, and they'll never change.

So how can you get mad at them?

You get mad at the ones who put them in a position of power.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Galchenyuk can excel in an offensviely sheltered role and Plekanec can continue to be teh same great 2 way 2nd line center he's been for years

WHere the problem arises is when the moron coaches forces Desharnais into the top scoring role because he's in love with him.

But based on his play this year, Galchenyuk can absolutely excel in a sheltered top center role.

And with Plekx and Eller as the 2/3 it is a situation that actaully makes a lot of sense.

But let's just keep making excuses to justify the endless stream of illogical decisions by Therrien

:)

Galchenyuk is not playing center right now...if/when he does, then he fills a serious need. But i'm just talking about the situation as it stands right now. It doesn't look like Galchenyuk, barring an injury, is going to play center again this year.

As for the coaches obsession with Desharnais...agreed, it's pretty ridiculous. I have no idea why he's so in love with him, I get the feeling that MB is going to have to 'take his toy away', but how?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Who knows...it's anyone's guess.

I don't think Eller's lack of production is as much of an issue for the coaching staff as it is for the fans. I think he expects Eller to be responsible defensively and I don't think, that in his mind, he sees offensive potential in Lars Eller. That part is obvious to me.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't understand it either.

I also don't understand how DD always seems to be the defacto solution to everything. We have Galchenyuk, he showed promise with Max... so why not put him there? If you have to swap Max out from Pleks (something I don't think needed to be done to begin with) then why not Galchenyuk? MT isn't going to do it for Eller... well, okay but why DD? I mean our first line is now Max, DD and Weise? Just doesn't make any sense at all.
Simple reason is that Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are our two best offensive producers. We have no one else that's first line calibre.. we put them together and we lose any depth.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Galchenyuk is not playing center right now...if/when he does, then he fills a serious need. But i'm just talking about the situation as it stands right now. It doesn't look like Galchenyuk, barring an injury, is going to play center again this year.

As for the coaches obsession with Desharnais...agreed, it's pretty ridiculous. I have no idea why he's so in love with him, I get the feeling that MB is going to have to 'take his toy away', but how?

The situation as it stands right now is Therrien not using the pieces correctly.

I agree that Desharnais needs to be pulled out from under him ASAP. I would take minimal return on him because other teams don't value him the same way Therrien does.

HabsDieHard*

Simple reason is that Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are our two best offensive producers. We have no one else that's first line calibre.. we put them together and we lose any depth.

I'd rather see a team with 1 first line and 2 3rd lines than a team with 3 3rd lines.

I'd also rather see the teams' best overall forward play on a line that doesn't force him into being used in a sheltered role because of the terribly ineffective 2 way center he's with.

HabsDieHard*

The situation as it stands right now is Therrien not using the pieces correctly.

I agree that Desharnais needs to be pulled out from under him ASAP. I would take minimal return on him because other teams don't value him the same way Therrien does.

I'd be happy to see Desharnais and a 2nd dealt for a 3rd.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
For the love of god just once I'd like to see something similar to the following top 2 lines. As much as I think DD is put in situations where he shouldn't be, it's starting to seem that Therrien is doing the same thing with Weise.
Pick a game ANY game and try the following:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Sekac
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - DD - Weise
xx - Malhotra - xx

Put the bottom six in a blender and spit out anything you want but try the top two just once

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

We do not have a hole at top 6 centre....

We do as long as Galchenyuk is playing wing and one of Plekanec, and moreso Desharnais, is playing on the 1st line.

What most people are frusterated with is Therrien's use of the players we have.

You'll find that most fans of most teams share the same frustrations we do with their own teams coaches. It's not that uncommon, every coach has his favorites.

Plekanec is a great centreman, Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall as a centreman. At which point does Therrien concede that Galchenyuk needs to be at centre, as our future number 1 we need to get him there.

IMO he looked good at centre.

Not sure I agree that Plekanec is a 'great' centerman. The best centre we have, at least offensively, is Galchenyuk and it's not even close IMO. I'm not sure who's decision it was to remove him from centre, but I hope they revisit it

And saying sarcastically that Sekac isn't an improvement over Weise doesn't make it true. You wont find many people on here who wouldn't put Sekac over Weise on the top line.

Sekac is an improvement in terms of talent, there's no question about that. But let's be honest, he, as in Sekac, needs to show a bit more in the role he currently is in order to even get that shot. Not fair given that Weise wasn't lighting it up either (and was even removed for a shift or two last game), but that's how it goes sometimes.
We have better options at 1C and 1RW ON OUR ROSTER, sure we need to improve at RW, but why not use what we currently have until that deal can be made

I agree with have a better option at center (galchenyuk) but RW, other than Gallagher, we've got a cast of characters (Parenteau, Sekac, Weise, Thomas) who have all failed to seize their moments.

The answer is not within...this has been evident from day 1 this year, hell, it was evident LAST year, hence the trade for Vanek

Nynja*

- top 6 center
- top 6 right wing
- top 4 dman

Plek
Chucky
Eller

We have 3, and you're saying its a hole. OKAY CALM DOWN BRO

top 4 D is a problem? Lets compare:

Anaheim:
Hampus Lindholm Francois Beauchemin
Cam Fowler Eric Brewer

Preds:
Roman Josi Shea Weber
Mattias Ekholm Anton Volchenkov

Blues:
Jay Bouwmeester Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson Chris Butler

Bolts:
Andrej Sustr Victor Hedman
Anton Stralman Jason Garrison

Top 4 D from the top 4 teams in the standings. Are these top 4 leaps and bounds ahead of:
Andrei Markov P.K. Subban
Nathan Beaulieu Sergei Gonchar

I dont think so

We do as long as Galchenyuk is playing wing and one of Plekanec, and moreso Desharnais, is playing on the 1st line.

Thats not a ****ing hole, thats an idiot coach who plays favorites. Chucky never went to MT to request playing on the wing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plek
Chucky
Eller

We have 3, and you're saying its a hole. OKAY CALM DOWN BRO

top 4 D is a problem? Lets compare:

Anaheim:
Hampus Lindholm Francois Beauchemin
Cam Fowler Eric Brewer

Preds:
Roman Josi Shea Weber
Mattias Ekholm Anton Volchenkov

Blues:
Jay Bouwmeester Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson Chris Butler

Bolts:
Andrej Sustr Victor Hedman
Anton Stralman Jason Garrison

Top 4 D from the top 4 teams in the standings. Are these top 4 leaps and bounds ahead of:
Andrei Markov P.K. Subban
Nathan Beaulieu Sergei Gonchar

I dont think so

Sigh...where is Galchenyuk playing right now? Left wing or center? Can you tell me that, bro?

Also, I never said the top 4 D is a problem...matter of fact, I've said several times on this board that the priority for MB is a forward, not another Dman (unlike most here believe). Notice I put that need last, as in, it wouldn't hurt to acquire another top 4 dman

But for me, it's not a necessity...i'm fine with our D as is

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thats not a ****ing hole, thats an idiot coach who plays favorites. Chucky never went to MT to request playing on the wing.

Look...i'm not here to debate semantics or to get inside MT's head.

As things stand right now, Alex Galchenyuk is playing left wing...which means our top 2 centers are Plekanec and Desharnais

So to me, that's a hole.

When MT's get his head out of his *** and moves him to the position where he was drafted, then we can re-evaluate what needs the team has. But i'm not going to play hypotheticals here.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

Galchenyuk can excel in an offensviely sheltered role and Plekanec can continue to be teh same great 2 way 2nd line center he's been for years.

100% co-sign. There is no, zero, zip, none, nada, reason for Desharnais to ever take a shift at center again for this team, barring injuries to any of the other three. Galchenyuk needs the shifts at center. He needs to develop at center. We need to be patient with him as he learns how to be an NHL center, and further, we need to find out if he actually can do it.

Because if Galchenyuk can't do it, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS ANYWAY. We're boned. There's no way to acquire a legit #1C on the trade market without gutting some other position. We'll have to draft one, and then we're another 3-5+ years away from Cup contention.

Developing Galchenyuk as our #1 center must be this organization's top player-development priority. Anything that gets in the way of that is simply the wrong decision, and has to be corrected post-haste.

That means getting Desharnais the hell out of Galchenyuk's way.

Our lack of winger depth is a concern, and that's something that Bergevin would do well to address, but using Galchenyuk on LW as a band-aid is the wrong move. Better to shove Desharnais over there, and keep him there if we can't get him off the roster completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad