Rumor: Linden " wheels in motion " jersey change?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Those look really good!

I can stand our current road whites. Our home blues at least overcome the Orca logo, but our 3rd blues are so much nicer. The orca has got to go.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It's long overdue for the Canucks to do the right thing...go back to their roots. This is Canada's third oldest NHL franchise and still to this day, the franchise has not settled on a look that represents its name, heritage and history. Even the Flames(since moving to Calgary in '80) and Oilers have kept their familiar crests from the beginning.

Here are four elements that should permanently be part of the Canucks' identity:

1. Blue(royal or navy), kelly green and white.

2. Stick in Rink C (either as the primary crest or shoulder patch).

3. Skating Johnny Canuck (either as the primary crest or shoulder patch).

4. A 'V' on the arm stripes, like on the '70-'72 jerseys. That was a very unique feature that should have never been discontinued.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
It's long overdue for the Canucks to do the right thing...go back to their roots. This is Canada's third oldest NHL franchise and still to this day, the franchise has not settled on a look that represents its name, heritage and history. Even the Flames(since moving to Calgary in '80) and Oilers have kept their familiar crests from the beginning.

Here are four elements that should permanently be part of the Canucks' identity:

4. A 'V' on the arm stripes, like on the '70-'72 jerseys. That was a very unique feature that should have never been discontinued.

this, this, this and this.

couldn't agree more.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Yes this. :yo:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

Hmmm. I agree with your points. I would have the stink in rink on one shoulder, Johnny on the other and keep the whale as the main crest. In Canada, you aren't going to find an Orca outside of the west coast, the Native stylings are representive of the west coast and we have had it for almost 20 years. The polarizing wordmark can be removed, but other than that, put it together and roll with it.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Hmmm. I agree with your points. I would have the stink in rink on one shoulder, Johnny on the other and keep the whale as the main crest. In Canada, you aren't going to find an Orca outside of the west coast, the Native stylings are representive of the west coast and we have had it for almost 20 years. The polarizing wordmark can be removed, but other than that, put it together and roll with it.

this works if you change the name of the team to the orcas

<------- my avatar is a canuck

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I cannot stand the Vachon logo, I find the newer skating johnny cheesy.
I think the aviation style Johnny Canuck logo looks well done, but nothing that we should have. it looks way too new school and so far from whats reminded about past team jersies. very non-nhl. I dont know why people some are considering it at all.
If we are to get something new I'd like something along the lines of the flying V, the old millionaire jerseys(which has been done) or the canucks skate. Id love to see them revert to the 94', but clean it up and make it a little more modern.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
prefer just to go with Stick n Rink full time. I'm fine with Orca too. I hardly notice when either is being worn to be honest. Keep the colours, lose the Vancouver. That's it. YAY!

EDIT(feels so good to have it back): Flying Johnny is for our Abbotsford Aviators farm team when we get it.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I've despised the Orca C from the very beginning. Though, I did like the creativity of the logo, I despised the motivation behind it.

Everything about the late 90s and early 2000s at GM Place was all about promoting Orca Bay's corporate brand. Even at Grizzlies games, that stupid orca blimp would float around the arena. At GRIZZLIES games, for crying out loud. And this included the two NHL/NBA seasons prior to the Orca C replacing the Streaking Skate logo.

Absentee but meddling majority owner John McCaw never had a feel for Vancouver nor the Canucks. He, his right-hand man Stan McCammon and the rest of their Seattle-based 'yes men' initially wanted to re-name the team the "Orcas", as was speculated. The Orca C was a compromise to keep the Canucks name as long as an orca had a prominent presence on the Canucks' brand.

This bad hangover from that former meddling ownership needs to be harpooned once and for all.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...W-LOOK-AND-NAME.aspx?hl=New Canucks logo&sc=0

Last edited:

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
If they do change the uniforms yet again hopefully they will switch the primary hue/values to red and or black. Teams wearing blue have won the Stanley Cup only six times in the past 30 seasons and only once in the past 24 years. Currently blue is the primary colour in almost 50% of teams in the NHL and was just shy of 50% in 1984/85.

Obviously this isn't so important and those numbers could be meaningless. The franchise would still need to put together a damn good team in order to win the Stanley Cup. However with the start of the 2015/2016 season not so far off, and no cups in the entire history of the franchise, I don't see how it could hurt.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/1984-85/1984-85.html

Check out this section from the book, The Winner Effect: The Science of Success and How to Use It by neuroscientist Ian Robertson:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=VV...ge&q=the winner effect red and sports&f=false

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Am I the only one who hates the green and blue colors? Idk maybe because I see it every where.

I love our away jerseys, but hate our home ones.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Skating Johnny Canuck is an abomination of a dated 1960s cartoon that should be forgotten about forever. Otherwise agree.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
See this is the problem isn't it? We have such a diverse history with jerseys that no matter what we do with them, a large group wont be happy.

Here's my proposal. Leave them alone. Build your brand. I love the 94 jerseys like you wouldn't believe, but we have something going here with the blue, green, and white. So stick with it. Take advantage of special jersey nights to bring others back for those who want to see them, but lets just use what we have.

JA

I've despised the Orca C from the very beginning. Though, I did like the creativity of the logo, I despised the motivation behind it.

Everything about the late 90s and early 2000s at GM Place was all about promoting Orca Bay's corporate brand. Even at Grizzlies games, that stupid orca blimp would float around the arena. At GRIZZLIES games, for crying out loud. And this included the two NHL/NBA seasons prior to the Orca C replacing the Streaking Skate logo.

Absentee but meddling majority owner John McCaw never had a feel for Vancouver nor the Canucks. He, his right-hand man Stan McCammon and the rest of their Seattle-based 'yes men' initially wanted to re-name the team the "Orcas", as was speculated. The Orca C was a compromise to keep the Canucks name as long as an orca had a prominent presence on the Canucks' brand.

This bad hangover from that former meddling ownership needs to be harpooned once and for all.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...W-LOOK-AND-NAME.aspx?hl=New Canucks logo&sc=0

Well, it's unfortunate that Arthur Griffiths lost Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, but it was his company to begin with. He had the majority of shares in it, and the motivation was to make having an NBA team in Vancouver more plausible.

Originally, the company was called Northwest Entertainment. They renamed it to Orca Bay to coincide with a major overhaul of the Canucks' branding so as to mark a new era for the team.

The ownership group was rebranded before Griffiths left the company. Very literally, Orca Bay was his creation. The re-branding was going to happen even if he hadn't lost his share of the team. The brand itself had less to do with McCaw himself; it's more accurate to say that he inherited Orca Bay from Griffiths.

Of course, he went on to tarnish the brand, and not everyone understood that Orca Bay was not his creation nor that it was not initially intended that he would own the majority of the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canucks_Sports_%26_Entertainment
As Vancouver executive Arthur Griffiths overspent building General Motors Place, where the NHL's Vancouver Canucks and the upcoming NBA expansion Vancouver Grizzlies would play, on March 1995 he associated with Seattle billionaire John McCaw, Jr. - then a co-owner of the Seattle Mariners - to form the Northwest Entertainment Group, which would control both teams and the arena.[3] On August 22 the company was rebaptized Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, in homage to the killer whales that roam on the British Columbia coast.[4] In 1996, McCaw assumed full ownership of the company and its assets.[5]

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/1995/08/23/Franchises/RENAMED-ENTERTAINMENT-GROUP-TO-OVERSEE-VANCOUVER-PRO-SPORTS.aspx
RENAMED ENTERTAINMENT GROUP TO OVERSEE VANCOUVER PRO SPORTS
Published August 23, 1995

The Canucks and Grizzlies will now be operated through Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, the organization announced yesterday.The Orca Bay corporate identity replaces Northwest Entertainment Group, and will also oversee GM Place (which opened yesterday) and Winning Spirit retail stores. Orca Bay Chair/CEO Arthur Griffiths: "With the opening of a new arena which will serve as home to our Canucks and Grizzlies, we thought it made sense to mark the new era with a new name and look." Orca Bay Vice Chair John McCaw, Jr.: "We hope our organization grows to reflect the strength, unity and loyalty exemplified by the Orca" (Orca Bay). Orca Bay now holds 100% of the Grizzlies, 100% of GM Place and 87% of the Canucks. Griffiths estimated the assets of the company at C$400M -- with GM Place worth C$165M (VANCOUVER SUN,, 8/23). Griffiths added that the name was chosen to reflect the organization's West Coast heritage and that he will remain as Chair and CEO of the organization. John McCaw, Jr., will remain as Vice Chair. Other personnel: John Chapple was named President and CEO, and Michael Korenberg as Deputy Chair and General Counsel (Vancouver PROVINCE, 8/23).

It seemed pretty clear that the team's sweaters were going to be redesigned to mark a new era for the team. The sweater redesign was simply going to be part of the overall re-branding of the organization. The name "Orca Bay" was a product of that re-branding.

The ownership group didn't have to change its name from Northwest Entertainment Group to Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment. It made sense to unify the brand, though. Arthur Griffiths wasn't expecting to lose ownership of the team.

The first iteration of those sweaters is actually quite nice (pre-shoulder patch).

nov3010_01nazzy03_b_slide.jpg

Bertuzzi_full.jpg

nov2610_00Nazzy04_b_slide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
thanks for the post jets...

i distinctly remember reading/hearing that trevor linden was involved in the design of the orca jersey way back in the day. but for the life of me, i can't find a link/quote/audio vault or anything.

i remember them asking him for suggestions and he said he wanted a collegiate look with the C.

gah, i wish i could find a source. any ideas?

edit: finally found something that at least confirms players were consulted, but haven't found anything on t-linden specifically.

http://strategyonline.ca/1997/07/21/16697-19970721/

Last edited:

JA

It's quite possible the design was done before Griffiths sold his shares of Orca Bay to the McCaws.

The sale was announced on November 12, 1996.

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/57/feature10.asp
CANUCKS' OWNERSHIP QUIETLY CHANGES HANDS
by Carol Schram, Vancouver Correspondent

On Tuesday, Nov. 12, Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment held a press conference to announce that longtime Canuck head Arthur Griffiths had sold his remaining shares in the organization to his business partner, John McCaw of Seattle. The McCaw family now has complete control over GM Place and the NBA Vancouver Grizzlies, as well as owning 86 percent of Northwest Sports Enterprises, which owns the NHL Vancouver Canucks and Winning Spirit sports clothing and accessory stores. The other 14 percent of Northwest is publicly held stock. Suddenly, for the first time in more than 20 years, the Griffiths family does not control NHL hockey in Vancouver.

This past summer, Arthur's sister Emily decided to sell her 10 percent interest in Orca Bay. Because Arthur didn't have the cash to buy her out, she sold to the McCaws. With only his 10 percent stake remaining, Arthur saw the writing on the wall. On Nov. 12, he too sold out to McCaw, becoming nothing more than another salaried employee at Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment. He may have aimed too high in the end, but Arthur succeeded in realizing his dreams of building a beautiful downtown arena, bringing the NBA to Vancouver, and turning the Canucks into perpetual contenders. He is still just 39 years old, and while the family obviously misses Frank Sr.'s shrewd business dealings, for now their fortune remains relatively intact. Arthur will continue working in the industry that he loves, but from here on out, as a sports executive, he is at the mercy of his so-called silent partners', the McCaws.

The completed design leaked in late April/early May 1997.
Canucks miffed logo slipped out: [Final Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 02 May 1997: A55.

Loose lips sink ships and the Vancouver Canucks have learned the hard way that secrets get a lot harder to keep when they're integrated with mass marketing.

The Canucks' new logo for their redesigned uniforms leaked out when it was posted on the Internet earlier this week and details of the NHL club's new-look continue to surface just like the toothy orca that will adorn the chest of their jerseys next season.

According to a rendering that showed up recently and was even displayed in some Lower Mainland retail outlets, the road version of the Canucks' new uniforms feature a dark blue body with burgundy and silver grey stripes along the bottom and on the cuffs. The home version has the usual white body, with burgundy and sea blue stripes along the bottom and cuff. There is also some trim with a native motif around the collar, in the same vein as the NBA Grizzlies and the NHL Phoenix Coyotes. The rendering came from CCM -- of the NHL's three licensed uniform suppliers and the one that is the franchisee for the Canucks -- and was intended to give retailers an idea of the look of the jersey they would be ordering in fairly large quantities.

After the logo turned up on U.TV and the sports front of The Province, the Canucks apparently went ballistic over the leak and retailers were cautioned about confidentiality. "Once you get to the stage where you're placing orders and so many people know about it, it's pretty hard to keep it secret," said one store manager, who asked not to be named.

Apparently, they had been working on the design for a while.
Logo hits the street: Question is, what's inside new jersey?: [Final Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 04 June 1997: A45.

The Vancouver Canucks officially unveiled their killer-whale logo, uniform and team colors to a throng of rain-dampened onlookers after players and staff had visited traffic stops in the city's core to give away T-shirts, bumper stickers and hats to passers-by.

On the steps of the art gallery well known players from the past - - Orland Kurtenbach, Harold Snepsts, Stan Smyl -- modelled past jersey designs while current captain Trevor Linden showed off the new look, which was the worst-kept secret in town after the logo was posted on the Internet five weeks ago.

"We've been looking at changing the uniform for a long time," said Canucks president and GM Pat Quinn, who ceremoniously handed the new jersey to Linden.

"A West Coast artist finally came up with something we liked. Tradition is very important. I've always liked the (Chicago) Blackhawks' clean lines and they've never changed their logo. We wanted something that said where we are from."

The design was developed by Orca Bay creative director David Youngson and White Rock artist Brent Lynch and was refined through input from Quinn, some of the current players, fans and focus groups. It's the fourth distinct uniform design since the club began in 1970.

It was definitely not an overnight process. It might have even been partially developed already before Griffiths sold his shares. There were only six months between the changing of ownership and the leaking of the new design. Griffiths had said when Northwest Entertainment became Orca Bay that they wanted a new look for the team as well.
RENAMED ENTERTAINMENT GROUP TO OVERSEE VANCOUVER PRO SPORTS
Published August 23, 1995

The Canucks and Grizzlies will now be operated through Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, the organization announced yesterday.The Orca Bay corporate identity replaces Northwest Entertainment Group, and will also oversee GM Place (which opened yesterday) and Winning Spirit retail stores. Orca Bay Chair/CEO Arthur Griffiths: "With the opening of a new arena which will serve as home to our Canucks and Grizzlies, we thought it made sense to mark the new era with a new name and look." Orca Bay Vice Chair John McCaw, Jr.: "We hope our organization grows to reflect the strength, unity and loyalty exemplified by the Orca" (Orca Bay). Orca Bay now holds 100% of the Grizzlies, 100% of GM Place and 87% of the Canucks. Griffiths estimated the assets of the company at C$400M -- with GM Place worth C$165M (VANCOUVER SUN,, 8/23). Griffiths added that the name was chosen to reflect the organization's West Coast heritage and that he will remain as Chair and CEO of the organization. John McCaw, Jr., will remain as Vice Chair. Other personnel: John Chapple was named President and CEO, and Michael Korenberg as Deputy Chair and General Counsel (Vancouver PROVINCE, 8/23).
There's nothing sinister about the orca design. The uniforms were already due to be redesigned.
Works Cited

Jamieson, Jim. "Canucks Miffed Logo Slipped Out." The Province: A55. May 02 1997. ProQuest. Web. 12 May 2015 .

Jamieson, Jim. "Logo Hits the Street: Question is, what's Inside New Jersey?" The Province: A45. Jun 04 1997. ProQuest. Web. 12 May 2015 .

Last edited by a moderator:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Griffiths are responsible for all the instability and every bad decision in the history of this franchise. It started when they submarined the original NHL owner of the team in 1974 and ended when they stole the orca from a guy in Maple Ridge who trademarked it first and had personally submitted it to Arthur. If they didn't literally own the media in this town they would not be cast in a positive light.

No orca. No flying V spaghetti logo.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It's quite possible the design was done before Griffiths sold his shares of Orca Bay to the McCaws.

The sale was announced on November 12, 1996.

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/57/feature10.asp

The completed design leaked in late April/early May 1997.

Apparently, they had been working on the design for a while.

It was definitely not an overnight process. It might have even been partially developed already before Griffiths sold his shares. There were only six months between the changing of ownership and the leaking of the new design. Griffiths had said when Northwest Entertainment became Orca Bay that they wanted a new look for the team as well.

There's nothing sinister about the orca design. The uniforms were already due to be redesigned.

If they do change the uniforms yet again hopefully they will switch the primary hue/values to red and or black. Teams wearing blue have won the Stanley Cup only six times in the past 30 seasons and only once in the past 24 years. Currently blue is the primary colour in almost 50% of teams in the NHL and was just shy of 50% in 1984/85.

Obviously this isn't so important and those numbers could be meaningless. The franchise would still need to put together a damn good team in order to win the Stanley Cup. However with the start of the 2015/2016 season not so far off, and no cups in the entire history of the franchise, I don't see how it could hurt.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/1984-85/1984-85.html

Check out this section from the book, The Winner Effect: The Science of Success and How to Use It by neuroscientist Ian Robertson:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=VV...ge&q=the winner effect red and sports&f=false

this, this, this and this.

couldn't agree more.

thanks for the post jets...

i distinctly remember reading/hearing that trevor linden was involved in the design of the orca jersey way back in the day. but for the life of me, i can't find a link/quote/audio vault or anything.

i remember them asking him for suggestions and he said he wanted a collegiate look with the C.

gah, i wish i could find a source. any ideas?

edit: finally found something that at least confirms players were consulted, but haven't found anything on t-linden specifically.

http://strategyonline.ca/1997/07/21/16697-19970721/

Even if it was Arthur Griffiths who administrated the change of the company name to "Orca Bay", it was John McCaw and his Seattle-based lieutenants, who wanted to go with an orca-themed logo. For those who didn't know, Griffiths stated on an old sports radio show he used to host, "The Business of Sports", that he and Pat Quinn wanted to go with a Johnny Canuck logo in the Skate colours of black, yellow and red. He got a sketch from a local artist(don't know who) and Griffiths loved it. However, his minority ownership was dwindling and when the majority talks, the majority usually get what they want.

I don't doubt that Quinn wanted a West Coast-themed colour scheme. However, he was toeing a very thin line with a meddling ownership that did not hire him and of course he would "say the right thing" just to please his new bosses. The same ownership that botched the Wayne Gretzky signing after Gretzky gave Quinn his word. The same ownership that fired Quinn and then phones him the next day to come back and coach.

As for Brett Lynch, his orca design is very third rate at best. Native Haida art should be designed by true Native artists. They know their artwork the best and only they should be able to design Haida artwork.

Getting back to the Griffiths, they were not responsible for original owner, Tom Scallen, losing his ownership of the team. Scallen was given a prison sentence for embezzlement of the club's money. The late Frank Griffiths Sr came in and saved the franchise from being sold and moved to the US. However, the Griffiths are the main culprits in the Canucks' identity crisis. They changed the iconic Stick in Rink and original colours to the controversial Flying V uniforms and Streaking Skate logo. All because they listened to same stupid psychologist who said that blue and green were "too passive".

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Am I the only one who hates the green and blue colors? Idk maybe because I see it every where.

I love our away jerseys, but hate our home ones.

Yes, yes you are the only one.:nod: The blue and kelly green are a great colour scheme. The royal blue is a standard among many of the teams but the Kelly green is great, here are my reasons:

1. It's unique, the only existing hockey team to wear this colour, with the Boston Celtics (maybe the Philly eagles?) being the only other major sports team with the same colour.
2. The Green and the blue together represents the sea and green mountains of the West Coast well.
3. The Kelly green is a subtle nod to the Irish Patrick Family that has shaped modern hockey while on the West Coast.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I think these would be a proper way to display our great colors, we have good colors, just ugly jerseys.

Canucks-JustinCox.jpg

0102-johnelbertson-van1.png

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I think these would be a proper way to display our great colors, we have good colors, just ugly jerseys.

i agree with what shaolinson said in the post above. The Johnny Canuck logo is too amateur and cartoony, its great as a shoulder patch or the logo on a hat, but it would be terrible blown up and on the chest. It doesn't look appropriate on a jersey of a team that plays at the highest level. It would look great in Junior, and decent in the minors, but doesn't belong in the pros.

IMO the Stick in Rink is the most timeless and elegant logo we have had. The orca is kind of random and doesn't even have green in it, and any attempts so far at integrating the Green has looked...sub-par. The spaghetti skate is way too busy, and only looks good when framed wit a nostalgic/retro lens. I know its unpopular of me to say but honestly, from a design stand point, no objective designer is going to come out and tell you the skate is a good piece of design. Sure, there are a lot of memories and cache attached to the historical value of it, but the logo in itself is pretty bad.

Last edited:

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
i agree with what shaolinson said in the post above. The Johnny Canuck logo is too amateur and cartoony, its great as a shoulder patch or the logo on a hat, but it would be terrible blown up and on the chest. It doesn't look appropriate on a jersey of a team that plays at the highest level. It would look great in Junior, and decent in the minors, but doesn't belong in the pros.

IMO the Stick in Rink is the most timeless and elegant logo we have had. The orca is kind of random and doesn't even have green in it, and any attempts so far at integrating the Green has looked...sub-par. The spaghetti skate is way too busy, and only looks good when framed wit a nostalgic/retro lens. I know its unpopular of me to say but honestly, from a design stand point, no objective designer is going to come out and tell you the skate is a good piece of design. Sure, there are a lot of memories and cache attached to the historical value of it, but the logo in itself is pretty bad.

While I totally agree regarding the Stick in Rink, I disagree that Johnny Canuck is too amateur and cartoony. I'm more than okay with a "little" cartoony. The Penguins' Skating Penguin is very similar to JC. I do think that JC can be integrated into/onto a crest-like design such as a roundel, a 'V' and even the rink element of the Stick in Rink.

As for the Skate, I will always have a place in my heart for it. However, had I followed the Canucks prior to the '78 uniform change, I probably would have hated it as much as I hate the Orca. While the logo represented hockey's speed, it was designed, along with the Flying V, to help motivate the players instead of representing the Canucks' brand.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad