Rumor: Linden " wheels in motion " jersey change?

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
While I totally agree regarding the Stick in Rink, I disagree that Johnny Canuck is too amateur and cartoony. I'm more than okay with a "little" cartoony. The Penguins' Skating Penguin is very similar to JC. I do think that JC can be integrated into/onto a crest-like design such as a roundel, a 'V' and even the rink element of the Stick in Rink.

As for the Skate, I will always have a place in my heart for it. However, had I followed the Canucks prior to the '78 uniform change, I probably would have hated it as much as I hate the Orca. While the logo represented hockey's speed, it was designed, along with the Flying V, to help motivate the players instead of representing the Canucks' brand.

man, these johnny canucks look awesome! love em. i want them, especially the one in the circle.

can i use it as my avatar?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think these would be a proper way to display our great colors, we have good colors, just ugly jerseys.

I hear this quite a bit from hardcore fans, but you know what? As I travel I constantly get comments about how sharp the home unis look. Not the case with the away jersey or other jerseys I've worn over the years.

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
I still think the Giants have a great jersey, logo, and colour scheme.
Weren't they a concept Canucks jersey at one point?

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
The black "spaghetti plate" jerseys were alright in the 90's. I liked them at the time, but other than a bit of nostalgic value, they're pretty ugly.

I like the simple rink and stick design and the current colours.

The whale has grown on me, with the new colours, but I still prefer the rink and stick.

The best jerseys in the league are simple—the "spaghetti plate" has too much going on, and the colours are ugly.

Last edited:

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
The only thing worse than the Orca is Johnny Canuck. Stick in the rink is so boring.

Not a fan of the current colour scheme, but they make sense.

There are only 2 real options. Stay with the current set or go back to the black jersey's complete with spagehtti. Best jerseys the Canucks ever rocked.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The only thing worse than the Orca is Johnny Canuck. Stick in the rink is so boring.

Not a fan of the current colour scheme, but they make sense.

There are only 2 real options. Stay with the current set or go back to the black jersey's complete with spagehtti. Best jerseys the Canucks ever rocked.

You really are a goon if you think the Orca is better than Johnny Canuck ;)

JA

I believe the Giants, Royals and Canucks orca were all designed by the same guy.

That's right. Brent Lynch created the Royals, Canucks orca, and Giants logos. He also created the current White Spot and Bread Garden logos.

BGSign.jpg

WhiteSpotSign-763723.png

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/creator-of-canucks-logo-returns-to-his-hockey-roots/article625642/
Creator of Canucks logo returns to his hockey roots
TOM HAWTHORN
Victoria — Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Jul. 03 2011, 8:07 PM EDT

The commission to create a Royals logo for the team's upcoming debut season marked a rare return to the graphic arts for Mr. Lynch. The 57-year-old artist is more of a painter these days, having moved to Nanoose Bay on Vancouver Island three years ago.

Before dedicating himself to painting, Mr. Lynch had a long career as a graphic designer. Among his clients was a certain hockey team for which he developed an image that was ubiquitous last month.

The breaching orca representing the Vancouver Canucks? That's the work of Mr. Lynch's fertile mind.

Logos, he said, are "the ultimate popular art."

The Canucks logo was released 14 years ago, after the team's original stick-in-rink design (now used as a pleasing shoulder flash) and the uninspiring downward skate. In beating out four competitors, Mr. Lynch settled on the orca, a creature that was "top of the food chain, dominant and unique to the West Coast."

The letter C from which it breaches was selected to give the Canucks' sweater a classic look, as if it was an Original Six team.

The artist also prepared a lumberjack image of a bearded Johnny Canuck character, but the owners at the time did not care for it.

He has designed album covers and advertising campaigns, opera broadsides and sporting posters, beer labels and corporate logos.

One of his more familiar non-sports logos is for the Bread Garden, featuring a baker with fresh bread at the end of a long oven peel. In 2003, he redesigned the White Spot logo, dropping the familiar chicken with a fork and spoon for a circular image containing the words "legendary restaurant."

For the Royals, he created an heraldic lion. The beast is rearing on its hind legs and is exposing its tongue. It holds an upside-down hockey stick where tradition might dictate a flagpole.

"I tried to keep it pure and simple," the artist said. "Lions represent good things like strength, courage and loyalty."

Sometimes, Mr. Lynch finds a home even for rejected work.

The Johnny Canuck character he designed for the Canucks ended up as the image for the Vancouver Giants junior hockey team. It features a Paul Bunyan-esque character carrying a hockey stick instead of an ax over his shoulder.

By coincidence, the Giants will travel to Victoria for the Royals' inaugural Western Hockey League game on Sept. 24. All the skaters will be wearing Mr. Lynch's logos.
Even if it was Arthur Griffiths who administrated the change of the company name to "Orca Bay", it was John McCaw and his Seattle-based lieutenants, who wanted to go with an orca-themed logo. For those who didn't know, Griffiths stated on an old sports radio show he used to host, "The Business of Sports", that he and Pat Quinn wanted to go with a Johnny Canuck logo in the Skate colours of black, yellow and red. He got a sketch from a local artist(don't know who) and Griffiths loved it. However, his minority ownership was dwindling and when the majority talks, the majority usually get what they want.
I wonder if that designer was Lynch.

Maybe we would have gotten the Giants logo in the skate uniform color scheme. Perhaps the "G" in the logo would have been a "V" instead.

779px-Vancouver_Giants_Logo.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
So something like this, maybe. I can't effectively turn the G into a V (I do posters, not logos, so forgive me).

3JFsvFY.jpg

Last edited:

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
1PTh2eb.jpg

ucafzkl.png

I've been working on this for a few hours now, not sure if it's passable or a complete nightmare. Anyways, my original take on the Millionaires V. Striping is botched because it is 2:30 AM and I don't feel like perfecting them just yet. Maybe if I have time tomorrow.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
See this is the problem isn't it? We have such a diverse history with jerseys that no matter what we do with them, a large group wont be happy.

Here's my proposal. Leave them alone. Build your brand. I love the 94 jerseys like you wouldn't believe, but we have something going here with the blue, green, and white. So stick with it. Take advantage of special jersey nights to bring others back for those who want to see them, but lets just use what we have.

Yeah. This is pretty much my take on it as well.

Leave the Jerseys, this franchise has had enough change over the years...and frankly, i like what they've got now for the most part. A small tweak sure, maybe even as much as swapping the Orca for Stick in Rink as the "main" jersey...that's about as far as i'd go.

But really...just stick with what we've got, and use the opportunities to ice a "3rd jersey" and "throwback nights" to appease the desire for other uniforms.

I would be thrilled to see all kinds of different things, a throwback '93 type jersey would be a great. I think it's probably time to be done with the whole Millionaires with ugly biege pants look now...bring back something else instead. I also wouldn't be sad to see the incredibly tacky cartoon Johnny Canuck thing thrown away for good, never to see the light of day again. But use the specialty jersey opportunities to do some interesting things and showcase "change" and all the rest. Let the current main uniforms settle in and become the true "identity" of the Canucks...a lasting thing for once.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
1PTh2eb.jpg

ucafzkl.png

I've been working on this for a few hours now, not sure if it's passable or a complete nightmare. Anyways, my original take on the Millionaires V. Striping is botched because it is 2:30 AM and I don't feel like perfecting them just yet. Maybe if I have time tomorrow.

Looking back, this is indeed a nightmare. Funny how the mind can work late at night.

Back to the drawing board

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
Looking back, this is indeed a nightmare. Funny how the mind can work late at night.

Maybe do something like.. place the blue at the bottom of the 'V' to represent the abundance of water in Vancouver, the green in the middle for our lush foliage, and the grey/white at the top for snow packs on the mountains, then your logo would have more localized symbolism. However it is currently much better than the childish cartoon logo's we see so much of in North American sports.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

It's not a bad design. I don't mind the style of that uniform at all.

It's just a bad Canucks design. If that makes any sense. Not really a "Canucks uniform".

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
The best fantasy name/jersey for our hockey team would've been the Vancouver Whales. Seriously, why hasn't any professional sports team called themselves the Whales yet?

Give us the Whalers jersies from the very beginning with the blue tail or water spout representing a 'V' and don't change logos ever, that'd be beautiful.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The best fantasy name/jersey for our hockey team would've been the Vancouver Whales. Seriously, why hasn't any professional sports team called themselves the Whales yet?

Give us the Whalers jersies from the very beginning with the blue tail or water spout representing a 'V' and don't change logos ever, that'd be beautiful.
Make one up immediately

Edit. Just googled the whalers jersey and they were terrific. It's been a while since I last. Saw em

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

The Rangers AHL farm team was the Connecticut Whale until just a few years ago. I hate singular team names.. like the Wild.

ct-whale-385x240.jpg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So with Adidas taking over the jersey-making for Reebok, there will be some changes to the look of the jersey around the league, and therefore, the Canucks jersey as well.

Sources have told Yahoo Sports that the most dramatic changes to the jerseys in this first season will be in their materials, rather than cosmetic ones. If you remember the World Cup of Hockey jerseys, Adidas trumpeted “cutting-edge adizero technology blending three lightweight, resilient fabrics to keep the players cool and comfortable while providing added flexibility and improving overall movement.”

Those World Cup jerseys also incorporated the Adidas stripes on the sides, under the arms. We’re not sure if that’s going to be standard issue on the new NHL jerseys.

From Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

Multiple sources tell the Star Tribune that all NHL teams will be permitted to have only home and road jerseys next season as Adidas takes over for Reebok as the official outfitter of NHL uniforms. There will be no third jerseys, in order to make the initial implementation of new sweaters easier.

The Wild is in the midst of deciding whether to go with red or green home sweaters. If the Wild chooses green, which sounds probable, the jersey likely will be slightly redesigned from the current third jersey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adidas...8-152149551.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Wonder how much things will change? I'm thinking we see the Adidas stripes on every jersey...or at least incorporated in some way.

For how much talk there was in this thread about jersey changes, logo changes etc...is this the perfect time? I think we are sticking with everything as we go now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->