Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why would you say that?

Garrison is the main reason we even had the 2nd round pick. And Garrison was a FA to begin with.

This is just a nonsense narrative.

Chris Tanev was signed as an UFA.

If we traded him away tomorrow for nothing, would it matter whether he was signed as a UFA or as a #1 pick or we'd traded Cam Neely for him?

No, of course not. All that would matter is that we had a good asset and we gave it away.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
you're right, signing garrison was an outstandingly good move to pick up free assets, and then the guy who didnt sign garrison made a really stupid and bad move to get rid of him for nothing. good observation on the first point there, i think people underestimate how clean a win the garrison signing was for this team

Unfortunately, that wasn't the even close to my argument. But points for trying nonetheless.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Unfortunately, that wasn't the even close to my argument. But points for trying nonetheless.

Yeah, that's exactly your argument. You're condeming moving a good player on a good contract away because he was a UFA signing.

As MS said would you be interested in moving Tanev for a 4th?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, that's exactly your argument. You're condeming moving a good player on a good contract away because he was a UFA signing.

As MS said would you be interested in moving Tanev for a 4th?

Nope and nope.

Bonus points for trying again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nope and nope.

Bonus points for trying again.

No, that literally is exactly your argument.

You're saying the #2 pick we gave up somehow has less value because there is less sunk cost in it.

Which is exactly the same thing is saying you'd think Chris Tanev has more trade value as a #1 pick vs. being a UFA signing despite being exactly the same player.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
hey guys, if I go out and buy a lottery ticket for $5, win 25 million, and then blow that 25 million...I only lost $5, right?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
No, that literally is exactly your argument.

You're saying the #2 pick we gave up somehow has less value because there is less sunk cost in it.

Which is exactly the same thing is saying you'd think Chris Tanev has more trade value as a #1 pick vs. being a UFA signing despite being exactly the same player.

The problem is because you don't know what a sunk cost fallacy is, which is what I was responding to Ski Powder about. That's why it's confusing.

There's no such thing as 'less sunk cost' nor was that what I meant.

And the lottery ticket example is just silly. Sunk cost implies that the asset you invested in declines-which the lottery example is the complete opposite of what sunk cost means.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The problem is because you don't know what a sunk cost fallacy is, which is what I was responding to Ski Powder about. That's why it's confusing.

And the lottery ticket example is just silly. Sunk cost implies that the asset you invested in declines-which the lottery example is the complete opposite of what sunk cost means.

you're right. that its so similar to whatever thing you brought up suggests you're just making it up as you go :dunno:

Quotes?

No one agrees that overpaying for crap players is justified because we aren't competing.

why on earth would i waste my time looking for quotes when you just told me that garrison was a "free asset and therefore not a loss" when we traded him for a worthless asset

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I am glad we are getting a lesson tonight in sunk cost bias, thanks for whoever brought that up.

It's really not that difficult. I'm just trying to explain the difference here when a poster suggested Vey was a sunk cost.

There's sunk cost.

And then there's a sunk cost fallacy.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

My lottery comment was more about things people have said regarding Garrison in the aftermath of the deal to get Vey. People saying things like (paraphrase): "he was a free asset so it doesn't matter that we blew value in the trade because we originally got him for cheap."

That's poor reasoning. Benning would do well to learn how to fail efficiently since he fails so often.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Quotes?

No one agrees that overpaying for crap players is justified because we aren't competing.

Pretty sure Bowie Horvat has made this exact argument. That being cap conscientious doesn't matter because we're not competing. Maybe it was Jimson Hogarth though. Possibly both.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
MS didn't say that vey was a sunk cost. he said the 2nd was the sunk cost. do i need to quote him? here i'll do it:

Considering Garrison as the sunk cost is far worse than considering a 2nd as the sunk cost.

in fact, nobody has said vey is a sunk cost. obviously if they did, and we werent being weirdo pedants, it wouldn't matter because the implication is sufficient

Pretty sure Bowie Horvat has made this exact argument. That being cap conscientious doesn't matter because we're not competing. Maybe it was Jimson Hogarth though. Possibly both.

both of them have done it along with a few others. jimson has never said it explicitly, but he's implied it. bowie has said it explicitly multiple times

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Vey just isn't that good. Had Benning been patient he could have grabbed him for free off waivers this time last year. Instead he blew a top-60 pick (the sunk cost) on a guy who could be in Switzerland in 8 months.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
It's really not that difficult. I'm just trying to explain the difference here when a poster suggested Vey was a sunk cost.

There's sunk cost.

And then there's a sunk cost fallacy.

I never said Vey was the sunk cost. What I implied was that the 2nd rounder we used to acquire Vey is the sunk cost. My point was that the trade should have nothing to do with the decision of whether or not to waive Vey. You cut your losses, try to improve your team in the present, and move on.

Saying losing Vey to waivers is okay because we acquired Garrison as a free agent is not only considering the original sunk cost (2nd rounder), but also considering the sunk cost of that sunk cost (Garrison). As MS said, this is mental gymnastics.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
you're right. that its so similar to whatever thing you brought up suggests you're just making it up as you go :dunno:

why on earth would i waste my time looking for quotes when you just told me that garrison was a "free asset and therefore not a loss" when we traded him for a worthless asset

We disagree. That's ok.

My lottery comment was more about things people have said regarding Garrison in the aftermath of the deal to get Vey. People saying things like (paraphrase): "he was a free asset so it doesn't matter that we blew value in the trade because we originally got him for cheap."

That's poor reasoning. Benning would do well to learn how to fail efficiently since he fails so often.

Fair enough and that's no problem.

I was responding to Ski Powder about sunk cost with Garrison and Vey. I implied it was more of a sunk cost fallacy.

I don't follow either posters close enough to know, which is why I wanted Verviticus to quote. Thanks for clarfying regardless.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
To all those saying we can't waive Vey because of what we paid for him, here's a little lesson:

The concept of a sunk cost.

I hope Benning knows this as well.

I never said Vey was the sunk cost. What I implied was that the 2nd rounder we used to acquire Vey is the sunk cost. My point was that the trade should have nothing to do with the decision of whether or not to waive Vey. You cut your losses, try to improve your team in the present, and move on.

Wait....now you're changing your stance?

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Wait....now you're changing your stance?

How do you get me changing my stance from that? And doesn't my second quote answer your question? The fallacy lies in considering sunk costs in future decisions when they shouldn't be considered in the first place. I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad