Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
i would rather waive him to be honest. im not sure why he isnt being played at wing. he isnt good defensively in any aspect.

If they're not even going to bother trying him at wing just send him down. Like the posters above me said it's good for Utica. Play him with Shink and Grenier on the #1 line. Doubt he gets claimed either.

Keep Kenins, Gaunce, or even Cracknell.

And just out of curiosity, who would be your 13th forward?

Im in favor of Vey as the 13th forward, but its largely because I think he provides us with some flexibility in that role. As well, I don't like the idea of Gaunce/Kenins being healthy scratches and would rather they get minutes in Utica. Cracknell has no real upside at all, and I think Vey brings a little bit more insurance if we run into injuries.

Also, puts pressure on Baertschi to produce, because if he doesn't play well they could swap Vey in for Baertschi for a few games and see who does better.

I just like Vey as insurance incase Baertschi (or even McCann) struggles during the season.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Burrows - Vey - Hansen
Kenins - McCann - Cracknell

LxzhFsK.jpg

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
And just out of curiosity, who would be your 13th forward?

Im in favor of Vey as the 13th forward, but its largely because I think he provides us with some flexibility in that role. As well, I don't like the idea of Gaunce/Kenins being healthy scratches and would rather they get minutes in Utica. Cracknell has no real upside at all, and I think Vey brings a little bit more insurance if we run into injuries.

Also, puts pressure on Baertschi to produce, because if he doesn't play well they could swap Vey in for Baertschi for a few games and see who does better.

I just like Vey as insurance incase Baertschi (or even McCann) struggles during the season.

In an ideal world, Prust. :laugh:

Good points about Vey. I'm just having a hard time visualizing how this roster is going to look because I've got no clue what management is thinking.

Using Vey as competition with Baertschi is a good idea, and IMO gives Vey a better chance to succeed. However, it looks like Vey is going to get force fed centre ice, and the only spot open is between the "tomato cans" as someone put it the other day.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
In an ideal world, Prust. :laugh:

Good points about Vey. I'm just having a hard time visualizing how this roster is going to look because I've got no clue what management is thinking.

Using Vey as competition with Baertschi is a good idea, and IMO gives Vey a better chance to succeed. However, it looks like Vey is going to get force fed centre ice, and the only spot open is between the "tomato cans" as someone put it the other day.

Im going into this assuming McCann has made the team (and that Dorsett/Prust won't even be considered for healthy scratches anytime soon).

So, going off of that, we know we have some combo of
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
XXXXX* Sutter Hansen
Prust McCann Dorsett
/Vey

*Eventually Higgins

Chances are one of the waiver free players, Gaunce/Kenins (or possibly Virtanen) will start in that empty spot, and then be sent down when Higgins gets back.

Vey being able to play center/wing is also handy for last minute injuries, so I see him as a bit more versatile than a guy like Kenins as well.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Would You Prefer Vey as the 13th Forward Or Waived?
(If you opt to waive Vey, please list who you would keep as the 13th forward)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Virtanen - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
Vey

I think it's do-able. Gaunce and Kenins start in Utica. When Higgins returns, we'll reassess whether Virtanen is ready. If he is, then you can send Vey to the waiver-wire.

Prust then becomes our 13th forward alternating with Virtanen on off nights.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Virtanen - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett
Vey

I think it's do-able. Gaunce and Kenins start in Utica. When Higgins returns, we'll reassess whether Virtanen is ready. If he is, then you can send Vey to the waiver-wire.

Prust then becomes our 13th forward alternating with Virtanen on off nights.

It's absolutely ridiculous to send Gaunce down when he's been night and day better than Vey and Virtanen. Kennis has also shown more than Vey, both this year and last.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
It's absolutely ridiculous to send Gaunce down when he's been night and day better than Vey and Virtanen. Kennis has also shown more than Vey, both this year and last.

Well do you want Gaunce/Kenins rotting away in the press box, or Linden Vey?

That spot that Virtanen is occupying would be filled by Higgins when he returns, so JV would likely be returned to junior by then.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

That spot that Virtanen is occupying would be filled by Higgins when he returns, so JV would likely be returned to junior by then.

Neither, both should be on the team. Jake Virtanen hasn't played his way on the team this, year so I don't agree with giving him any games in the regular season.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yuck that 4th line.

Put Sutter with those 2 and have McCann as a 3rd line center.

I'd rather McCann have that opportunity too, but I can't see WD giving Sutter the worst linemates on the team when he was pretty much our biggest ticket.

But with McCann up here, I do see him playing 2nd unit PP if he keeps generating those chances.

I'd list them as:

1) Gaunce
2) Virtanen
3) Kenins
4) Vey

in terms of having impressive pre-seasons, but Virtanen's contract status will likely be a factor in putting him over the edge, at least 9 games. If Virtanen can't keep up during the first 9 games, then he gets sent down to junior and we can still call Gaunce up.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'd list them as:

1) Gaunce
2) Virtanen
3) Kenins
4) Vey

in terms of having impressive pre-seasons, but Virtanen's contract status will likely be a factor in putting him over the edge, at least 9 games. If Virtanen can't keep up during the first 9 games, then he gets sent down to junior and we can still call Gaunce up.

Kennis has already proven himself at the NHL level, he's shown he can drive possession and has a very good 200 FT game. He's simply better than Virtanen at hockey right now, and should be on the team over him.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Exactly. My proposed line-up actually allows Gaunce and Kenins to play at the AHL, while Virtanen gets his initial 9 games and Vey is in the press-box. We don't lose anyone to waivers until absolutely necessary.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Exactly. My proposed line-up actually allows Gaunce and Kenins to play at the AHL, while Virtanen gets his initial 9 games and Vey is in the press-box. We don't lose anyone to waivers until absolutely necessary.

Than what's the point of playing these preseasons games, when players aren't rewarded for contributing? Virtanen hasn't come close to outplaying Gaunce this preseason, he doesn't deserve to start the season here.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

The Higgins injury should be another ~2 weeks. So really you're looking for someone to fill his role for like 3-4 games in all likelihood.

Whether that be Gaunce/Kenins/Virtanen, I honestly don't think it matters (and I would lean towards JV, because despite a mediocre camp, I think any NHL experience before sending him back down would be huge).

Kenins and Gaunce will play games this year regardless at some point.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Neither, both should be on the team. Jake Virtanen hasn't played his way on the team this, year so I don't agree with giving him any games in the regular season.

Well how exactly do you expect to fit them on the team? Like whats your lineup w/ Gaunce and Kenins on the team (without scratching someone who management obviously won't scratch like Prust)?

If McCann makes the team, theres essentially a battle for "who gets to fill in til Higgins gets back".

I don't see space for these guys, so they might as well get some minutes in Utica, may as well get Jakes feet wet at the NHL level before sending him down to junior, and if anyones going to sit in the pressbox it may as well be Vey.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The Higgins injury should be another ~2 weeks. So really you're looking for someone to fill his role for like 3-4 games in all likelihood.

Whether that be Gaunce/Kenins/Virtanen, I honestly don't think it matters (and I would lean towards JV, because despite a mediocre camp, I think any NHL experience before sending him back down would be huge).

Kenins and Gaunce will play games this year regardless at some point.

That's what I want for Virtanen as well. He's had a decent camp; scoring a goal, being a wrecking machine on the ice. I think those attributes are something the Canucks lack. His forecheck tenacity and hits add another dimension to the team.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Than what's the point of playing these preseasons games, when players aren't rewarded for contributing? Virtanen hasn't come close to outplaying Gaunce this preseason, he doesn't deserve to start the season here.

In all fairness, I don't even think it has to be a full 9 games. Its really just until Higgins comes back which could only be a handful of games.

Hes out for "a minimum of 3 weeks" and its been 9 days since the injury. The season starts in 7 days, so really Higgins could/should be back in the first 1-2 weeks of the season.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
That's what I want for Virtanen as well. He's had a decent camp; scoring a goal, being a wrecking machine on the ice. I think those attributes are something the Canucks lack. His forecheck tenacity and hits add another dimension to the team.

Im not going to argue hes earned a spot on the team (because I don't think he has), but I think in terms of development, JV is going to have to be sent back to junior this year.

With that said, I think experiencing some NHL games would be good for his development, and sending him back to junior knowing exactly what he needs to work on would be great for him long-term.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well how exactly do you expect to fit them on the team? Like whats your lineup w/ Gaunce and Kenins on the team (without scratching someone who management obviously won't scratch like Prust)?

If McCann makes the team, theres essentially a battle for "who gets to fill in til Higgins gets back".

I don't see space for these guys, so they might as well get some minutes in Utica, may as well get Jakes feet wet at the NHL level before sending him down to junior, and if anyones going to sit in the pressbox it may as well be Vey.

Jake Virtanen has been outplayed by Brendan Gaunce thus why he shouldn't in our lineup, again what's the point of playing all these games when you're just going to start the season with Virtanen over him despite how vastly Gaunce has outplayed him? It sends a terrible message to the rest of the team, and any player ever challenging for a spot under this regime.

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
Baertschi / Horvat / Vrbata
McCann / Sutter / Hansen
Prust / Gaunce / Dorsett

Firstly you try McCann out at wing, he's deserved to get a look because he's been arguably the best forward in camp/pre season. If he can't cut than his roster spot will be given to Higgins when he returns.

Baertschi and Kennis can alternate games until one of them distances themselves from the competition.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Jake Virtanen has been outplayed by Brendan Gaunce thus why he shouldn't in our lineup, again what's the point of playing all these games when you're just going to start the season with Virtanen over him despite how vastly Gaunce has outplayed him? It sends a terrible message to the rest of the team, and any player ever challenging for a spot under this regime.

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
McCann / Sutter / Hansen
Prust / Gaunce / Dorsett

Firstly you try McCann out at wing, he's deserved to get a look because he's been arguably the best forward in camp/pre season. If he can't cut than his roster spot will be given to Higgins when he returns.

Baertschi and Kennis can alternate games until one of them distances themselves from the competition.

if you are going to slide McCann to the wing, I say last game of the preseason you put him with the Twins.

Gaunce was converted to wing I heard because of his lack of speed. Did he improve enough to move back to center at the NHL level?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
McCann / Sutter / Hansen
Prust / Gaunce / Dorsett

Gaunce hasn't played center since he turned pro, so I don't know if pencilling him in at 4C is overly realistic.

You're also arguing we should reward players based off of a good pre-season showing, and then you advocate sending McCann to junior down instead of Gaunce to the AHL?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Gaunce hasn't played center since he turned pro, so I don't know if pencilling him in at 4C is overly realistic.

You're also arguing we should reward players based off of a good pre-season showing, and then you advocate sending McCann to junior down instead of Gaunce to the AHL?

He's tailor made to be a centre, he's been playing centre his entire life It's not a stretch at all, he's effective as a centre.

Don't see where you're getting that from my post, at all. I have both players on the team...

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He's tailor made to be a centre, he's been playing centre his entire life It's not a stretch at all, he's effective as a centre.

Don't see where you're getting that from my post, at all. I have both players on the team...

If hes so effective as a center, why was he moved to the wing in Utica though? And how does it make sense to move McCann to the wing, and Gaunce to center? Just doesn't really seem like a realistic lineup.

Really, we're arguing about whos going to play 3-4 games as a bottom-6 winger so I think theres legitimate arguments for Kenins, Virtanen and Gaunce to get a shot in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino