Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
waste of a 2nd rounder. hope bennington learns his lesson than to trade for Willie's pet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They're really trying to find somewhere he fits, some mix of players that'll bring out a useful NHLer in him.

I wish they'd stop.

It's just getting pathetic at this point.

Vey has received better icetime/PP time this preseason than Bo Horvat, one of the best young forwards in the NHL.

Simply does not deserve to be here.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Vey has received better icetime/PP time this preseason than Bo Horvat, one of the best young forwards in the NHL.

No kidding they are desperately trying to make Vey look good so they don't look awful.

This is why I am still incredibly skeptic that McCann will get a look. I mean at this point if you were Benning wouldn't you already be trying to groom McCann for that bottom 6 spot?

Just management that can't let go of one of their favorite toys.

Or alternatively they could be trying to make Vey look good so that they can trade him and get the highest value for him. That could also be the case. But just based of the treatment that Vey got last year I am leaning towards that they are trying to find a reason to keep Vey.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He should be on the waiver wire today. He has lost the spot to both McCann and Cracknell. The experiment is done, the data is in, time to realize the data says he isn't anything more than a call up. I don't even keep him around as a the 13th forward. He's lost that spot as well.

Said it the time of the acquisition...it isn't that often players his age with his contract are kept off of teams because they have "too much" youth. Same with Clendening and Baertschi. It can be the case of course but there is typically a reason they fell on a previous teams depth chart. Clendening and Baertschi were better bets...both are younger, one is a D-man who may take more time and the other there may have been a personality clash of some sort in the previous organization.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
He should be on the waiver wire today. He has lost the spot to both McCann and Cracknell. The experiment is done, the data is in, time to realize the data says he isn't anything more than a call up. I don't even keep him around as a the 13th forward. He's lost that spot as well.

Said it the time of the acquisition...it isn't that often players his age with his contract are kept off of teams because they have "too much" youth. Same with Clendening and Baertschi. It can be the case of course but there is typically a reason they fell on a previous teams depth chart. Clendening and Baertschi were better bets...both are younger, one is a D-man who may take more time and the other there may have been a personality clash of some sort in the previous organization.

Based on the between period interview with Benning, Vey isn't going anywhere. He has real good offensive talent and plays a solid two way game. :help:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Based on the between period interview with Benning, Vey isn't going anywhere. He has real good offensive talent and plays a solid two way game. :help:

Hence the SHOULD....Benning will not admit to a mistake. They are going to force feed Vey icetime again this year. I can feel it. The only reason he admitted to a Bonino "mistake" which wasn't really a mistake btw compared to the other skater in that deal, is because he got to get "his" guy. Clendening also wasn't admitted to as a mistake but rather included just 'cause.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

This is actually a compliment towards Horvat, because he's made the team (obviously).

The pre-season is for evaluation. In general, guys who receive the most ice time are usually guys who still need to prove themselves or on the brink of AHL/NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Looks like we'll be stuck with Vey at the expense of a more useful player if what McGuire is saying is the truth.

1) I don't agree.

2) If Pierre is correct, how is it a bad thing to lose a bad player on a bad one-way contract?

3) If Benning was actually serious about veterans losing jobs to young guys, why does this even matter?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
2) If Pierre is correct, how is it a bad thing to lose a bad player on a bad one-way contract?
It's not, but I have a hard time believing Benning would cut bait on one of his pet projects after only a year. If Vey is worth anything to another team, I'd rather they try to trade him to at least partially mitigate the damage of pissing away a top-60 pick.

3) If Benning was actually serious about veterans losing jobs to young guys, why does this even matter?
It may be a case of Benning not expecting the young guys to actually play well and forcing his hand into an uncomfortable decision.

SaltySnipes*

I bet you it's a team like Calgary or Edmonton saying it to him so we keep him. Hahaha. I wouldn't be surprised.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I know Vey hasn't had a great camp, and isn't one of our top-12 forwards, but I really have no issue keeping him as a 13th forward at this point.

1) One argument I would make, having Vey as the 13th forward puts pressure on Baertschi to be effective. Baertschi is essentially in the same position Vey was last year, so having these two essentially compete all season for a top-6 offensive role isn't necessarily a bad thing.

2) We all give Benning crap for "bad asset management", and losing Vey on waivers is bad asset management. Im not saying Vey has trade value, but really he can be waived at any point during the season (and I would argue hes more likely to get claimed when teams run into injuries etc later in the season).

3) Our center depth is pretty crap, even if McCann makes the team. I would rather have our 13th forward be a waiver eligible center than a waiver exempt winger.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not, but I have a hard time believing Benning would cut bait on one of his pet projects after only a year. If Vey is worth anything to another team, I'd rather they try to trade him to at least partially mitigate the damage of pissing away a top-60 pick.

It may be a case of Benning not expecting the young guys to actually play well and forcing his hand into an uncomfortable decision.

Oh, I agree that they'll probably end up keeping Vey and that we'll be stuck with him for another year.

But the treatment Vey gets afforded is just a joke, and the hypocrisy of management is almost beyond belief. Say one thing and just blatantly do another.

And we're starting with the excuses now for keeping him here.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Looks like we'll be stuck with Vey at the expense of a more useful player if what McGuire is saying is the truth.

Meh if we need to pick up another fringe NHLer we can wait til LA waives Jordan Weal. Tampa might do the same with Namestnikov too.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I'm still pulling for Vey.

He's literally on his last legs here. Time to pull up those hockey socks Linden.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Oh, I agree that they'll probably end up keeping Vey and that we'll be stuck with him for another year. But the treatment Vey gets afforded is just a joke, and the hypocrisy of management is almost beyond belief. Say one thing and just blatantly do another.
It's getting to the point of ridiculousness and that only took a single season. Any sane organization would have a voice of reason to just say, "We were wrong, let's just allow this guy to move on," but I get the feeling we're at least 9 months away from anyone saying that about Linden Vey.

Guys like Kenins, Alex Biega and Ben Hutton should have played junior in Medicine Hat. Maybe then they'd be getting the same chances here as any other organization.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's getting to the point of ridiculousness and that only took a single season. Any sane organization would have a voice of reason to just say, "We were wrong, let's just allow this guy to move on," but I get the feeling we're at least 9 months away from anyone saying that about Linden Vey.

Guys like Kenins, Alex Biega and Ben Hutton should have played junior in Medicine Hat. Maybe then they'd be getting the same chances here as any other organization.

The saddest part is that it isn't even the worst example of this organization refusing to admit a mistake and doubling down idiotically on a bad player. Sbisa and Miller are even worse examples.

I've said this a few times, but the Vey/Prust/Miller/Sbisa quartet is $13 million of Benning targeted players that could be upgraded by claiming 4 minimum wage plugs off waivers in the next week, or just promoting guys from Utica. It's absolutely astonishing how incompetent Benning has been.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
The saddest part is that it isn't even the worst example of this organization refusing to admit a mistake and doubling down idiotically on a bad player. Sbisa and Miller are even worse examples.

I've said this a few times, but the Vey/Prust/Miller/Sbisa quartet is $13 million of Benning targeted players that could be upgraded by claiming 4 minimum wage plugs off waivers in the next week, or just promoting guys from Utica. It's absolutely astonishing how incompetent Benning has been.
Don't forget Dorsett. He's slightly less useless than the quartet depending on a few cherry-picked metrics, but is still signed for longer than any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad