Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If hes so effective as a center, why was he moved to the wing in Utica though? And how does it make sense to move McCann to the wing, and Gaunce to center? Just doesn't really seem like a realistic lineup.

Really, we're arguing about whos going to play 3-4 games as a bottom-6 winger so I think theres legitimate arguments for Kenins, Virtanen and Gaunce to get a shot in that spot.

That's a question that both you and I have, I think it was completely illogical to move him to the wing. His assets are best utilized as a centre, most people who have followed his as a prospect know that.

McCan is being used on the wing because playing him with two possession blackholes in Prust and Dorsett will do nothing but stunt his development. We're giving him a chance there to show what he has (he's earned it with good play) if he looks out place you simply just send him to the OHL.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
That's a question that both you and I have, I think it was completely illogical to move him to the wing. His assets are best utilized as a centre, most people who have followed his as a prospect know that.

McCan is being used on the wing because playing him with two possession blackholes in Prust and Dorsett will do nothing but stunt his development. We're giving him a chance there to show what he has (he's earned it with good play) if he looks out place you simply just send him to the OHL.

The more I look at it, the more I hope your bottom-6 wing combos are

Dorsett XXXXX Hansen
Higgins XXXXX Prust

1) You get more "toughness" out of your lineup
2) Higgins and Hansen should hopefully help keep these lines from drowning possession wise.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Dorsett XXXXX Hansen
Higgins XXXXX Prust

2) Higgins and Hansen should hopefully help keep these lines from drowning possession wise.

Any bottom 6 that features both Dorsett and Prust is a disaster. Dorsett should be the 12th best forward on a good team. Prust doesn't even belong in the NHL anymore. Horrible pre-season all-around.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Dorsett XXXXX Hansen
Higgins XXXXX Prust

Yeah but there still wouldn't be room for one of McCann/Gaunce, and I know Willie employs a 1-2-3-4, but a Dorsett / Sutter / Hansen 3rd line is a possession nightmare. Hansen is a decent possession player, but he's not good enough to drive two boat anchors.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Any bottom 6 that features both Dorsett and Prust is a disaster. Dorsett should be the 12th best forward on a good team. Prust doesn't even belong in the NHL anymore. Horrible pre-season all-around.

Yeah but there still wouldn't be room for one of McCann/Gaunce, and I know Willie employs a 1-2-3-4, but a Dorsett / Sutter / Hansen 3rd line is a possession nightmare. Hansen is a decent possession player, but he's not good enough to drive two boat anchors.

This is assuming the bottom-2 centers are Sutter and McCann (I really wouldn't care who goes where).

Dorsett XXXXX Hansen
Higgins XXXXX Prust

If McCann is going to stick with the big club, I think its crucial we don't stick him with Dorsett and Prust.

Again, I think you get more "toughness" by splitting them up, and you also mitigate the damage they can do by playing on the same line.

I would rather have Kenins than Prust, but it looks like we are stuck with Dorsett and Prust in our starting 12 regardless. Honestly, swapping Kenins for Prust would make it a much better bottom-6 :laugh:

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
People don't like him because hes not flashy, He gets ice time, because he prevents goals.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is assuming the bottom-2 centers are Sutter and McCann (I really wouldn't care who goes where).

Dorsett XXXXX Hansen
Higgins XXXXX Prust

If McCann is going to stick with the big club, I think its crucial we don't stick him with Dorsett and Prust.

Again, I think you get more "toughness" by splitting them up, and you also mitigate the damage they can do by playing on the same line.

I would rather have Kenins than Prust, but it looks like we are stuck with Dorsett and Prust in our starting 12 regardless. Honestly, swapping Kenins for Prust would make it a much better bottom-6 :laugh:
I think Virtanen just earned himself 9 games, and he seems to fit with Bo. That means Prust gets replaced by Burrows or Vrbata. That is so much better than killing a line with Prust.

I'd put Dorsett with Sutter, give McCann a skilled winger and offer Prust at 50% to anyone that wants him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
If he some how gets waived and sent to Uticia I think that would be Good for are young guns there cause he puts up a ton of points in the Ahl so they'd be playing with an AHL All star

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Honestly, if Benning is afraid putting Vey on wavier, he shouldn't because I personally doubt that he will be claimed by any team otherwise they would have to put him on their roster for the season and I doubt that any team will think that Vey is good for them. If the team decide to send him down, the Canucks will have the first chance to get him back and send him to AHL. Centers are the Canucks strength with or without Vey, even if they are bad at the faceoff draws, their overall play as the center are still their strength.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Honestly, if Benning is afraid putting Vey on wavier, he shouldn't because I personally doubt that he will be claimed by any team otherwise they would have to put him on their roster for the season and I doubt that any team will think that Vey is good for them. If the team decide to send him down, the Canucks will have the first chance to get him back and send him to AHL. Centers are the Canucks strength with or without Vey, even if they are bad at the faceoff draws, their overall play as the center are still their strength.

If he gets picked up that saves Aquilini $1m in cold hard cash. Aquaman would probably do a jig.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
The only reason Vey doesnt go is if Jimbo is worried his potential skillset can't be replaced.

Bae, McCann and Gauncer should have taken that worry away.

Honestly, seeing those 3 + Bo and Virt just really go to show how terrible this team's skills (hands, playmaking) were past the Sedin's, Kesler and Burrows in the past several seasons.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jake Virtanen has been outplayed by Brendan Gaunce thus why he shouldn't in our lineup, again what's the point of playing all these games when you're just going to start the season with Virtanen over him despite how vastly Gaunce has outplayed him? It sends a terrible message to the rest of the team, and any player ever challenging for a spot under this regime.
Numbers game. It happens. It happened to Gustav Nyquist. You just tell the player the truth. Tell him to go down there and work hard and be ready as he will be the first callup. Players understand that it's a business too.

If hes so effective as a center, why was he moved to the wing in Utica though? And how does it make sense to move McCann to the wing, and Gaunce to center? Just doesn't really seem like a realistic lineup.
I am not saying this is a possibility, but Gaunce is bigger and has more pro experience. These days, a lot of teams like to protect their young centre prospect by starting them on the wing. If McCann is higher on the depth chart, the purpose of having Gaunce at centre rather than McCann would be for McCann's development. Gaunce's development isn't going to be hurt whether he starts his career at centre or wing. McCann may be more free to utilize his offensive gifts on the wing than at centre.

Honestly, seeing those 3 + Bo and Virt just really go to show how terrible this team's skills (hands, playmaking) were past the Sedin's, Kesler and Burrows in the past several seasons.

Secondary scoring has been a problem for the team and lack of skill was definitely something that contributed to that.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Baertchi--Vey--Virtanen = a game of complete insignificance.

Baertschi--Horvat--Virtanen = combined for ten points, destroyed the opposition.

Yeah. Willie? Uncle Jimbo? See that?

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
With Vey officially going through waivers after having failed to make the team, makes you wonder if Jordan Weal was the player the Canucks should have targeted. But I guess LA may not have parted with him. Weal just made the LA lineup now.

Both products of the WHL, 1 year apart, similar accomplishments with the Mancester Monarchs as well.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
With Vey officially going through waivers after having failed to make the team, makes you wonder if Jordan Weal was the player the Canucks should have targeted. But I guess LA may not have parted with him. Weal just made the LA lineup now.

Both products of the WHL, 1 year apart, similar accomplishments with the Mancester Monarchs as well.

Vey was targeted because Desjardin coached him in Juniour.

Weal for a 2nd would have been a dream

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I liked Vey more than 99% of Canucks fans last year but I can admit he's done nothing to improve his game and was thoroughly outplayed by McCann.

Good decision and it's nice to see that management admit to their mistake.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If he gets picked up that saves Aquilini $1m in cold hard cash. Aquaman would probably do a jig.

I rather he clear and play with Shinkaruk and Gaunce. Vey's AHL resume is impressive and would help out those kids even more.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I rather he clear and play with Shinkaruk and Gaunce. Vey's AHL resume is impressive and would help out those kids even more.

I'm sure you would. I would like Prust and Sbisa down there too but that isn't my money.

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Oh, I'm sure the Golden Child isn't done in Vancouver quite yet.

2925owi.jpg

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Lets hope the Leafs pick Vey up.

Small guys have to be fast as hell to be good in the NHL, and Vey does not have that skill set.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
They gave this player a raise.... Then a few months later waived him....

it's still astonishing to me that they didn't just qualify vey after his useless 2nd half of last season, but actually gave him a raise

hated hearing linden on the radio this morning with sekeres basically blaming the vey trade on the previous regime, saying that they absolutely had to fill the prospect age gap by overpaying for a guy like vey

cracknell making the team as a veteran pretty much disproves the age gap theory, and always found it odd that there had to be an even age distribution throughout the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille