Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
How do you get me changing my stance from that? And doesn't my second quote answer your question? The fallacy lies in considering sunk costs in future decisions when they shouldn't be considered in the first place. I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is coming from.

You're implying you can waive Vey by accepting the sunk cost. You brought it up initially.

Regardless this sunk cost fallacy has gone on for too long

Back to hockey.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
You're implying you can waive Vey by accepting the sunk cost. You brought it up initially.

Regardless this sunk cost fallacy has gone on for too long

Back to hockey.

I think you think the fallacy is thinking that sunk costs don't matter, but the actual fallacy is thinking that sunk costs do matter.

Anyways, I'm tired of reading those words... Like you said, back to hockey!

Dump Vey. :sarcasm:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If you think about it, losing Vey to waivers isn't necessary an 'original' asset the Canucks lost. The pick was from Tampa Bay. It wasn't our original draft pick.

Garrison signed here as UFA = no assets lost
Garrison + 7th was traded for 2nd rounder = 7th rounder lost

The 2nd rounder was a by-product of Garrison being traded. We didn't lose a Vancouver pick aside from the 7th, which is really nothing.

What next, drafting doesn't matter because teams don't give anything up to get their yearly supply of draft picks?

Can you still see sunlight from the bottom of the hole you are digging?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
What next, drafting doesn't matter because teams don't give anything up to get their yearly supply of draft picks?

Can you still see sunlight from the bottom of the hole you are digging?

He's right.

Garrison was a UFA

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The problem is because you don't know what a sunk cost fallacy is, which is what I was responding to Ski Powder about. That's why it's confusing.

There's no such thing as 'less sunk cost' nor was that what I meant.

And the lottery ticket example is just silly. Sunk cost implies that the asset you invested in declines-which the lottery example is the complete opposite of what sunk cost means.

No, you're the one that has it backwards.

You're implying that our own 'earned' 2nd round pick has more value than a 'free' 2nd round pick obtained by trading UFA signing Garrison. Thinking a 'free' asset has less value than a 'paid for' asset of the same book value because of sunk costs is the definition of this fallacy.

Then you're making a second logical breakdown by taking those steps into the background to determine that Vey is 'free' somehow and has no sunk costs.

If I get a 'free' $50k inheritance, invest it wisely to get $250k, buy a house with that money, and then trade the house for a rock that keeps away tigers, I haven't gotten the rock for 'free'.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
He could have dipped into the UFA pool and picked up a similar cast off, without giving up assets for him. Boom, easy as that.

or one of many other options. all with some degree of viability, most likely.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
If I get a 'free' $50k inheritance, invest it wisely to get $250k, buy a house with that money, and then trade the house for a rock that keeps away tigers, I haven't gotten the rock for 'free'.
Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, MS -- I don't see any tigers here, do you? Jim Benning would like to make an offer on your rock.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Vey has to go. Sooner then later would be better.

He has been completely out played at center by McCann, and McCann should be playing in the NHL.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Vey has to go. Sooner then later would be better.

He has been completely out played at center by McCann, and McCann should be playing in the NHL.

Sounds like McCann will be playing in the NHL. Vey either gets waived on a day when there's more enticing players available, or stays on the roster as a 13th or 14th forward. He's good depth to have around for when injuries occur.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Agreed with this. Physicality is important on the blueline, but Sbisa needs to fix his defensive game first.
You say that like it's an easy thing to do. If Scott Neidermayer couldn't turn Luca Sbisa into a competent NHL defender, what chance does Doug Lidster have?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Of all things anti-gillis so far, arguing that sbisa is better than garrison is by far the worst one yet

arsmaster*

I can already here the justification for when he's still here after preseason: "...well...he was getting scoring chances, he just wasn't getting the bounces. If he wasn't getting those chances we'd be concerned, but he is, so the bounces will turn eventually. We still believe Linden can become a key player for us".

arsmaster*

What's your point? Again, if Tampa trades Stralman to Pittsburgh for a 7th tomorrow, does their organization consider that trade a win?

When Bowie tells some they're right, it's pretty much the kiss of death for that post.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I'm wondering when the Vey at C experiment is going to end. Guy has no hope to be a NHL player at that position. He looked better at wing in small stints last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm wondering when the Vey at C experiment is going to end. Guy has no hope to be a NHL player at that position. He looked better at wing in small stints last season.

Yeah, it's just stupid.

Vey should be a winger. Gaunce should be a center.

I thought they'd figured this out on Vey when they listed him as an RW this summer in promotional material, but apparently not. As usual, this administration keeps trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So was Tanev. Would you be happy with only getting a 7th rounder for him in a trade? 7th rounder for nothing! Do it Benning!!!!!!!

You shouldn't make joke like this... it was a joke right?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Would You Prefer Vey as the 13th Forward Or Waived?
(If you opt to waive Vey, please list who you would keep as the 13th forward)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Waived. Keep kenins or cracknell.
Better for vey
Better for Utica
Better for Canucks

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
i would rather waive him to be honest. im not sure why he isnt being played at wing. he isnt good defensively in any aspect.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Would You Prefer Vey as the 13th Forward Or Waived?
(If you opt to waive Vey, please list who you would keep as the 13th forward)

If they're not even going to bother trying him at wing just send him down. Like the posters above me said it's good for Utica. Play him with Shink and Grenier on the #1 line. Doubt he gets claimed either.

Keep Kenins, Gaunce, or even Cracknell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad