Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Stone is smart. He says talks will start later so the no life vultures will lay off him for a while.

Stone is signing here.
Duchene, who knows

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would have suspected had both sides mutually wanted to be in Ottawa that a base for a contract would have been worked on/discussed long before they were 'officially' allowed to do so and a contract would be presented very soon after Jan 1.

Let’s not forgot both sides had extensive negotiations back in August. They already have a general idea on where they stand. Who knows, maybe both sides felt it was better if Stone could focus on hockey since they wouldn’t be able to sign the deal until the new year anyway.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
There is a higher authority than Santa, and you must get down on your knees and pray!

aeN4Qjb_700b.jpg

sorry for the book, couldn't resist bwahaha

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion is a lying wind bag. He won’t admit that he cannot offer front loaded contracts so he will find some ridiculous rationale for why he trades Duchene and Stone for peanuts.
Okay which GM does admit to that sort of stuff though. Dorion is easily the worst GM in the league. But like.... the guy says something like “yeah think we have a good team and I’ll do what’s best for them” and some here are like “LIAR! He just doesn’t have the spine to publicly bash his boss and admit he’s not very good at trades!”

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Let’s not forgot both sides had extensive negotiations back in August. They already have a general idea on where they stand. Who knows, maybe both sides felt it was better if Stone could focus on hockey since they wouldn’t be able to sign the deal until the new year anyway.

More likely Dorion just didn't want to have to ask Melnyk for money to sign a key player only to be turned down in a flash.

Can't be fun for a scout to not be able to retain these players he vouched for.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I believed Tavares when he said he wanted to re-sign with the Islander and I believe Stone when he says he wants to re-sign with the Sens.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have a hard time believing they have not had negotiations given @benjiv1 has given us some info already, and he is usually bang on.

There is no need to talk when you already know the answer to your offer will be “ are you serious”? The Senators did not offer Stone nor Duchene an acceptable offer before with signing bonuses, so the need to talk is virtually non-existent. But there is a need for PR spin and flag waiving! Prepare yourself for the TDL trades that are looming in the near future.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
More likely Dorion just didn't want to have to ask Melnyk for money to sign a key player only to be turned down in a flash.

Can't be fun for a scout to not be able to retain these players he vouched for.

I think the scouts are happy and feel valued if the teams adopts their recommendations for the draft positions and the players develop and make the team in their ELC and RFA years. The UFA years are expensive ones that the team might not be able to afford and so I doubt the scouts are too sad if their recommended draft picks and trade picks are traded away at that point.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yes we do.

The "market" in Ottawa can only support a team the revenues it generates can pay for.

Do you really believe that Ottawa could support the operating budget a team like Toronto has?

How do you think the 4000 STH base in Ottawa ranks vs the STH in Toronto?

What about merch. sales, Toronto vs Ottawa?

How about their respective TV contracts?

I see that you have come to the realization that it's just not this current owner, but all owners from the teams' inception that have had to structure their operational budget, to be commensurate with the market it operates in, otherwise they'd not be able to survive.

It's time to stop blaming whomever the owner is, it's the flawed CBA, that has loopholes that larger market richer teams can exploit.

Do you honestly believe EK moved on from Ottawa, because he did not know that Ottawa was never going to be able to offer him a $7 Million US dollar signing bonus in his next 4 years of his next contract?

It was not because the owner is cheap, it's because the small Ottawa market cannot a support a team as if it's getting the same revenues as a franchise like Toronto is.
So why do you continue to base your counter on Toronto??Nobody has said anything about competing with the NHL,s largest market ...In terms of monetary strength....

We dont see issues in WPG,Cal,Van,or MTL ,only here in Ottawa do we have a team that has never been over the 75 million dollar threshold in terms of dollars actually spent ...Yet we have a large fan base , that has more than supported the team in a oversized arena ,to the tune of getting a very good regional TV deal ..Multiple billionaire buyers wanting to buy the team ,never mind the huge downtown arena project thrown at the team that many other teams can only dream about...

Yet you continue to blame the market ,sorry man your argument has more holes in it than a public bathhouse

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sorry, but Ottawa is not a Large Market, that has totally sold out all it's corporate suites, and has a waiting list for STHs.

I know you wish a sugar daddy would come in and save the franchise, by spending their own money, on players, operations and the Arena, and perhaps even lower ticket prices ...... but that's just a fanatasy.

The cold hard facts is that Ottawa is a Small Canadain Market, no matter how much you wish to spin it, to foist 100% of the blame for the teams' failing on the owners and management, cannot change that fact.

Ottawa is a victim of an ever escalating salary cap, with Large Market owners that can reap in huge profits from large STH bases, big broadcast deals etc, and invest those revenues in signing bonuses to attract the likes of John Tavares and others.

Ottawa is slowing being priced out the NHL, unless there's some serious changes in the next CBA, to account for all small market teams that no longer have a hope in hell of competing with the large markets.

If you just want to focus on the doofas owner, and think everything can be fixed with a new owner, and Ottawa will on par with the likes of Toronto and other large markets, and not look at what are the real reasons small market teams, like Ottawa have to operate the way they do, then you're going to so totally disappointed when the next owner has to operate the franchise the same way the previous owners had to, just to survive .......... unless the NHL addresses the underllying issues that create a groups of haves and have nots franchises.
We were told that the cap would help the smaller markets.....Funny because since the cap went over 70 million i cant remember at anytime we spent anywhere close to this ...Yet another sad excuse ,its not up to the fans to figure out way to increase revenues to provide the needed monetary strength required to run the team successfully ....EM has had more than a decade to get his shit together,and continues to do sweet f*** all...Except whine and cry and hold the team hostage

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Stone is smart. He says talks will start later so the no life vultures will lay off him for a while.

Stone is signing here.
Duchene, who knows

Why would he? A guy with supposedly a ton of competitive fire wants to remain on a team with no hope of being competitive?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I have no reason to believe anything good will come out of this.

I’m expecting two worse packages than the Karlsson one.

Melnyk bots will still defend him and call us negative nancy’s.

If Stone has to get moved, I think GMs will be tripping over themselves to get him. He would get a great return. I hope not of course.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Okay which GM does admit to that sort of stuff though. Dorion is easily the worst GM in the league. But like.... the guy says something like “yeah think we have a good team and I’ll do what’s best for them” and some here are like “LIAR! He just doesn’t have the spine to publicly bash his boss and admit he’s not very good at trades!”
My worry is that instead of Dorion just being open and stating that the Sens just cannot do front end bonus lockout protected deals, he will instead fabricate a ‘Stone was never going to sign anyway’ narrative and follow that up by trading him for peanuts.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
he said that it would be done in Jan that it was prepared already and both on same page but doesnt seem so. thought he'd have the C against vancouver, which he still may i guess

then a few days later said he didnt think either had any reason to sign here after the lawsuit

The first part was more my personal feeling on it, based on what I had heard, the second part is me preparing for heartache.

But in all seriousness, everything I have heard points to Stone wanting to stay, and something getting done this month.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If Stone has to get moved, I think GMs will be tripping over themselves to get him. He would get a great return. I hope not of course.

Just like the return we got for Karlsson?

Stone will be a UFA, if we trade him it will be for one decent asset and scraps.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There’s literally no reason to wait 3 weeks to negotiate. They could have started right after he signed in August. What exactly is Dorion so busy with? Sitting on his ass?

It’s a sham and some will still buy it. Just like Dorion’s bogus “hurrr can’t talk until July” lie when there were like 5 players that agreed on extensions days before.

These con men need to be called out for their bs. I remember Dorion being questioned about Doughty and OEL agreeing to a deal before July 1st and his response was “well...they didn’t sign until July 1st” and there was zero follow-up to that moronic response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yak

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My worry is that instead of Dorion just being open and stating that the Sens just cannot do front end bonus lockout protected deals, he will instead fabricate a ‘Stone was never going to sign anyway’ narrative and follow that up by trading him for peanuts.
Sometimes in life the truth is simply unacceptable lol. Dorion has never said a player didn’t want to stay. He just doesn’t say anything (also not good).

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Mark Stone said that he expects contract negotiations to start in the next two weeks and makes it clear that he wants to stay in Ottawa.

You would think they would be jumping on Stone talks right away considering how the summer negotiations went. Sens brass will need to strike fast to get good deals on Stone and Duchene and not get hosed like PD does normally.

I doubt either of these guys buy into the EM/PD B.S. , EM does not have the cash to keep these guys, their is no hometown discount for EM circus either.

The way the season is going their asking price is probably going up if they going to go through this stressful franchise B.S. Other then being the Captain of the team their is no other perks for either of these guys to stay.

Unless they know something about EM selling they should run away as fast as they can. Go to a team with a sane owner and team that is being runned properly. We are Arizona Coyotes North with more drama and a crazy owner and worse GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad