Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Also I'm not saying one signing is dependent on the other signing. I think Duchene obviously less likely because he is getting older but we keep stone.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Added now

Based on his comments of how he" kept note of how Tavares went about his expiring contract" and the kick in the balls comment you got to think he's gone. And I think Ottawa is more likely to trade him at the TDL than to roll the dice with him going into July 1st. If they can't get an extension done by Christmas, I'd say Ottawa tries to establish a market for him and trade him at the TDL.

I do think Stone wants to lead this rebuild though

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
They will trade Stone and throw an insane amount of money at Duchene so we can reach the cap floor and Dorion can save a semblance of face.

Reactions: billpo

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Duchene seems more mentally fragile so I can see him clinging to the team that gave him a new chance, but not for 8 years. Maybe for 4-5 years.
Stone should be out asap, he's lived through more garbage than Doosh has.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Based on what evidence?

He signed a one year contract to get to UFA status. If he wanted to stay, he'd be signed longterm right now.

I saw a tweet where his gf said he wants to stay. But who knows, if he wants the $8 million extension that he deserves (and that is bare minimum) then he might magically find himself "not part of the team's plan"

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Have we even made a significant financial commitment since Hoffman? Which was a relatively small deal as far as cash, years and bonus money goes.

I'm just not seeing where this money is coming from as we dont seem to have the ability right now regardless of the reasons.

I also think that with the little amount of good vet talent left, that either signing will be depenant on the other. I dont think we get the opportunity to just sign one if thats what we decide. They will want the other to stay in order to stay themselves.

Duchene's comments about ufa were concerning as well, he's starting to sound like Tavares did last year. He may not truly give the chance anyways, especially with how bad this team looks to be.

I put them both at about 10% chance of staying and that is all based on new ownership coming in, just dont think Melnyk can pony up otherwise. We will deal both plus Dzingel at or before the deadline imo.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Here’s the thing of it...

Players can always ask for a trade. As long as Ottawa is willing to offer both Stone and Duchene fair contracts, I think there is an opportunity to keep them both.

With how everything has gone though, I don’t expect it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
To me, it sounds like Stone at least wants to stay. I believe his girlfriend reached out to Brian5or6 to confirm that he wants to be in Ottawa and the supposed comments out of the evil habs endorsed TVA media weren't accurate.

With that said, I am not getting my hopes up because it doesn't make sense that they were so "close" on a long term extension, but had to force a 1 year deal. What possible road block was there that they could not have gotten over in the off season considering the time both sides had to talk an extension? Were they close? Maybe. But why didn't it get done. Are there NEW limitations that have been put on management this off season by Melnyk that make re-signing guys like Stone and Duchene impossible even if they would like to stay?

said evil habs endorsed media:

Reactions: Swedish Mafia

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Have we even made a significant financial commitment since Hoffman? Which was a relatively small deal as far as cash, years and bonus money goes.

I'm just not seeing where this money is coming from as we dont seem to have the ability right now regardless of the reasons.

I also think that with the little amount of good vet talent left, that either signing will be depenant on the other. I dont think we get the opportunity to just sign one if thats what we decide. They will want the other to stay in order to stay themselves.

Duchene's comments about ufa were concerning as well, he's starting to sound like Tavares did last year. He may not truly give the chance anyways, especially with how bad this team looks to be.

I put them both at about 10% chance of staying and that is all based on new ownership coming in, just dont think Melnyk can pony up otherwise. We will deal both plus Dzingel at or before the deadline imo.

We apparently offered Cody Ceci a 6 year contract prior to arbitration. If true, I doubt it's as simple as we can't sign players long term.

The issues probably have to do with signing bonuses, particularly lockout bonuses. It would not surprise me at all if both sides had agreed to a term and AAV that they felt was fair, but Stone was not willing to budge on lockout bonuses, and Melnyk was not willing to pay them.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Players can always ask for a trade. As long as Ottawa is willing to offer both Stone and Duchene fair contracts, I think there is an opportunity to keep them both.

This is spot on.

At the end of the day, it depends on how the season goes. If we do well enough, and the kids rise to the occasion, and it looks like the rebuild is going to be shorter than longer, there's no reason why both players wouldn't want to sign here if they're offered a fair deal. If shit goes south, they can always ask for a trade. I also think Stone is almost a lock to stay. He seems to be relishing being the leader in the room, taking Tkachuk under his wing.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'm still sticking with Stone staying long term and Duchene is on a wait and see phase. Sens will need to pick up some help defensively to show they looking to stay competitive.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'm still sticking with Stone staying long term and Duchene is on a wait and see phase. Sens will need to pick up some help defensively to show they looking to stay competitive.
Yeah they’re not picking up shit, and nobody decent is going to sign here as of now. They’re trying to luck out like Vegas.

I hate to be negative, but don’t expect anyone that makes a significant salary coming in.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

The players don't need to ask for a trade. They are in their UFA year and will be gone before the TDL if not signed.

Why would they risk the "problem" player tag of asking for a trade when they can just wait a few months and then move on?

Fair contracts for players of Duchene and Stone's status includes bonus money and lockout protection bonus money. Meldyck won't give that out.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Looking at next year (2019-20) situation with ONLY players currently under contract.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)

Right wing: Drake Batherson ($736,666) - Bobby Ryan ($7,250,000) - Mikkel Boedker ($4,000,000) - Andrew Sturtz ($767,500)

Centre: Logan Brown ($863,333) - Filip Chlapik ($728,333) - Jean-Gabriel Pageau ($3,100,000) - Chris Tierney ($2,937,500)

Left wing: Brady Tkachuk ($925,000) - Rudolfs Balcers ($759,167) - Alex Formenton ($753,333) - Zack Smith ($3,250,000)

Extra : Aaron Luchuk ($759,166)

DEFENSE (7)

Right: Christian Jaros ($755,000) - Dylan DeMelo ($900,000) - Ben Harpur ($725,000)

Left: Thomas Chabot ($863,333) - Maxime Lajoie ($710,000) - Mark Borowiecki ($1,200,000) -

Extra : Patrick Sieloff ($700,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

Craig Anderson ($4,750,000) - Mike Condon ($2,400,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)

Dion Phaneuf ($1,750,000)

DETAILS

Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $82,000,000
Cap Hit: $41,583,331
Cap Space: $40,416,669 (lol?)

LTIR

Clarke MacArthur ($4,650,000)
Marián Gáborík ($4,875,000)

$41,583,331 + $9,525,000 = $51,108,331

So even with MacArthur, Gaborik and Phaneuf dead money, that team of 22 players (normal Sens roster size) would be way way under the cap (probably around 62 M$ next year?)

Stone, Duchene, Dzingel : UFAs

Ceci, White, Wolanin, Paul : RFAs

Paajarvi and Pyatt probably gone as UFAs (or trade deadline), maybe re-sign McCormick (but will be cheap)

What the heck will happen? They will have to reach the cap floor, no choice to SPEND. And that's assuming that Zack Smith and Bobby Ryan are still here, and we know that Melnyk has been trying to get out of their contracts

Since they are forced to spend, I'll remain hopeful that Stone and Duchene are extended, because that is absolutely the right thing to do. Unfortunately, you need them to have the desire to stay (which I believe they have) but the problem is Melnyk and money. Need that ownership change asap once again.

Maybe Ceci and Dzingel should be packaged (with maybe even other assets) to get a nice upgrade somewhere, some kind of quantity for quality deal. Any ideas?

Extend White, Wolanin and Paul since they are still cost controlled.

Last edited:

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Rather than Occam's Razor I'm bracing for Melnyk's razor: the most painful / bad option usually happens, in which case they both walk.

But honestly I think Stone stays and Duchene puts on a public look that he wants to stay but behind closed doors I'm sure he wants a shot to win (elsewhere of course), as he should.

Reactions: Swedish Mafia

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Worst case scenario is keeping one, and letting one walk. That pretty much ensures we don't totally rebuild, yet we likely won't be good enough for a playoff wildcard spot. Stuck in the middle again.

Keep both, and try to build from there, or trade both and go scorched Earth.

Reactions: Blotto71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->