Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Ha! I wouldn’t be surprised if You’re actually serious.

An Ex nhl player with friends on the team related some shared opinions in regards to the captain, and that’s totally same same to your post.

I’m getting a clearer picture now foggy, thanks for taking the time.

The point is my unreferenced anecdote is about as credible as your "arguments". Poster after poster throw quotes, facts and logic at you, and you counter your own hunches and personal opinions that are not based in the reality that is the current Ottawa Senators franchise.

If we look back to a year ago, I'm sure we'll find very optimistic posts about the state of the franchise. Since then, we've seen a series of disappoints that have made the team somewhat of a joke. The cynics and pessimists are both for a reason and it has everything to do with Melnyk and Dorion. Despite a proven record of futility and tire spinning, you think posters are being overly negative because they are "haters".

As far as EK, calling his defenders "fan-boys" is plain dumb. He's the greatest player in the history of the franchise and is a hall-of-fame defenseman. There is a reason people like him.

For argument sakes, let's say he was a bit of a dictator in the dressing room and not everyone loved him. So what? Leaders are often Type A. Why is a 100% harmonious dressing room more important than winning? Do you think all those Stanley Cup winning teams loved their captains? Why should a dressing room be a democracy? Where does that strange idea even come from?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Mark Stone was specifically asked, was Erik Karlsson a problem in the locker room before last week's game. He said "No, I don't think so", point blank. That doesn't contradict anything? I guess he only lies when it goes against your viewpoint. What about Turris?

"San Jose is lucky to be getting @ErikKarlsson65, hall of famer on and off the ice. One of the best leaders and teammates I've come across, I'm one of the lucky few who got to be on the ice with him daily. Him and Mel are truly amazing people, my family wishes them all the best"

Personally, this is the last thing that Im going to say about Karlsson in a non related thread.

Stone can be great friends with Karlsson and think he's a HHOFer, and also think that its a good thing that everyone moved on. These thoughts dont have to be independent of one another.

Its also really easy to give a heartfelt and glowing reference (a genuine one) for a someone when your moving into a new corner office, and taking over as the new boss and starting a new chapter of your own. Stone's the next captain of the franchise, and is relishing the role I do believe.

It seems like the guys also said really good things about Hoffman when he returned. So are we just going to take their "on the record" word for it that there was nothing wrong in the locker room last year...? Maybe just keep the whole gang together and try to make it work lol?

Just like in real life relationships, sometimes two good people can amicably decide that its best to part ways, and still be great friends. And the reasons dont have to be dramatic either.

Yes the talent level of this team would be amazing with Karlsson, Hoffman + Chabot and the kids, but it wasnt meant to be guys. Its time to move on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh man, I’d that news on Stone is true that is friggin awesome!

Having our next captain locked up long term would be really awesome for the rebuild as he’s a perfect roll model for the rebuild.

It would be neat to see how his game rounds out as captain, does he have another gear?

The other thing is that if Stone is signed Duchene looks to be much more likely to stay as well if we’re to give some weight to his comments this summer.

We definitely have a unique opportunity to offer Stone, and it’s likely one of the NHL player’s dreams. Team captain....

Reactions: Samsquanch

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Oh man, I’d that news on Stone is true that is friggin awesome!

Having our next captain locked up long term would be really awesome for the rebuild as he’s a perfect roll model for the rebuild.

It would be neat to see how his game rounds out as captain, does he have another gear?

The other thing is that if Stone is signed Duchene looks to be much more likely to stay as well if we’re to give some weight to his comments this summer.

We definitely have a unique opportunity to offer Stone, and it’s likely one of the NHL player’s dreams. Team captain....
what news?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
what news?

I think it was Benjiv that posted further back that he has heard that Stone and PD are on the same page now in regards to an extension.

Take him at his word, though he’s generally pretty stable around here. We’ll know for sure after the new year, but that is great news if true.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think it was Benjiv that posted further back that he has heard that Stone and PD are on the same page now in regards to an extension.

Take him at his word, though he’s generally pretty stable around here. We’ll know for sure after the new year, but that is great news if true.
Uh-oh, looks like PD is gonna get another phantom made up phone call from the league for having early discussions with a potential UFA...

But all sarcasm aside, this is good news and I would agree that Benji has always come through with good inside info.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Personally, this is the last thing that Im going to say about Karlsson in a non related thread.

Stone can be great friends with Karlsson and think he's a HHOFer, and also think that its a good thing that everyone moved on. These thoughts dont have to be independent of one another.

Its also really easy to give a heartfelt and glowing reference (a genuine one) for a someone when your moving into a new corner office, and taking over as the new boss and starting a new chapter of your own. Stone's the next captain of the franchise, and is relishing the role I do believe.

It seems like the guys also said really good things about Hoffman when he returned. So are we just going to take their "on the record" word for it that there was nothing wrong in the locker room last year...? Maybe just keep the whole gang together and try to make it work lol?

Just like in real life relationships, sometimes two good people can amicably decide that its best to part ways, and still be great friends. And the reasons dont have to be dramatic either.

Yes the talent level of this team would be amazing with Karlsson, Hoffman + Chabot and the kids, but it wasnt meant to be guys. Its time to move on.

Spot on. It's easy to forget these are humans.

It's not as simple as a binary good guy / bad guy.

Sometimes things don't work out for whatever reason.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I believe it. I'm very confident we'll find a way to sign Stone. Duchene I'm not quite as sure.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I believe it. I'm very confident we'll find a way to sign Stone. Duchene I'm not quite as sure.
The TSN TradeBait board can give clues as to whose name is out there. Duch is #10 Ceci is #24. No sign of Stone or more interestingly Dzingel.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Only another two months and we finally get our answer on these guys. Feels like it's drug on way too long and soured the season and made the on ice results feel secondary. Will be nice to know one way or the other.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They cannot. But if he isn't signed by the second week of January, I will start to get concerned.
Yup. I think with all the time they've had to negotiate up to now and how little time there is from Jan 1 to the trade deadline, they either have this all worked out and announce it shortly after they're eligible, or they already know it's not happening and he'll be traded.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
tenor (13).gif

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think they sign both.

What has this organization done that gives you the confidence they're actually going to pay their players when they want a raise? Especially taking a look at Melnyk's finances, I don't see how anyone could even think we'll sign either one of them. It just isn't a possibility.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
What has this organization done that gives you the confidence they're actually going to pay their players when they want a raise? Especially taking a look at Melnyk's finances, I don't see how anyone could even think we'll sign either one of them. It just isn't a possibility.
Why not just trade Ceci and Dzingle for pick and we have the money

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Why not just trade Ceci and Dzingle for pick and we have the money

Why would they sign if we need to trade away key pieces just to keep them, despite not even being close to a cap team? These are two guys in the prime of their career, why would they want to waste it playing for a team that is so obviously not trying to build a contending roster?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Why would they sign if we need to trade away key pieces just to keep them, despite not even being close to a cap team? These are two guys in the prime of their career, why would they want to waste it playing for a team that is so obviously not trying to build a contending roster?
Because we have good prospect coming and he knows Melnyk is just a question of time before sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad