Post-Game Talk: Lightning at Rangers - Game 7 - Lightning win series 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The Rangers were outplayed the majority of the playoffs. They should have lost to Washington. They got what they deserved. AV killed the offense of the 4th line all year with his stupid loyalty to Glass. The organizations lack of commitment to develop McIlrath led to them signing Boyle which was a waste of 4.5 million for 2 years.

yeah true, they need to do something about our 4th line.
I also felt that some of our players are very inconsistent in this playoff.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I don't care what anyone says this was not a great season and I'm not thanking the team. When you lose your last 3 home games and are shut out in the last 2 it is not a good season. Just goes to show how much home ice means for the Rangers. I'm upset and I'm just depressed at the same time. They have a lot to figure out in the off season, but we all know MSL will be back, Nash will do his usual next year and playoffs, the defense will get older and decline some more. Anyway I'm not even gonna watch the finals **** it I hope Anaheim wins and nobody watches the games. And for that being a soft goal last night, it was not. That's what happens when you take the puck to the net and get bodies in front, something the Rangers time and time again did not attempt because they were too busy trying to be Harlem Globetrotters with their passing. Good season? **** that ****

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don't care what anyone says this was not a great season and I'm not thanking the team. When you lose your last 3 home games and are shut out in the last 2 it is not a good season. Just goes to show how much home ice means for the Rangers. I'm upset and I'm just depressed at the same time. They have a lot to figure out in the off season, but we all know MSL will be back, Nash will do his usual next year and playoffs, the defense will get older and decline some more. Anyway I'm not even gonna watch the finals **** it I hope Anaheim wins and nobody watches the games. And for that being a soft goal last night, it was not. That's what happens when you take the puck to the net and get bodies in front, something the Rangers time and time again did not attempt because they were too busy trying to be Harlem Globetrotters with their passing. Good season? **** that ****

I guess you refer from my post and I edit it - it was a great regular season with a record.
And the Playoffs performance was not good enough, but we have some injuries, unfortunately.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
The injuries that our defensemen played with is astounding. Tons of heart in those guys. Wow.

To me, it was a great season and a great ride through the playoffs. I don't NEED a Stanley Cup to validate our season, nor to be happy. Thank you for the season-long entertainment, New York Rangers!

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
This is reminding me so much of the Emile Francis era when we were an elite team for about five years but just could not get over the hump and bring home the Cup. The season always ended with a disappointing and frustrating playoff loss. Eddie Giacomin, just as popular with the fans as Henrik is today and just as good, he is a HOF goalie, had some big playoff moments but never won the Cup although it wasn't always his fault.

But that was one of the most successful eras in Ranger history and so is this. So as frustrated as we all are this morning we should realize that sooner or later we will hit some down years and remember this team with fondness, as we should.

This was one of the most enjoyable of my over 50 years as a Ranger fan. Yes it ended with anger, frustration, and ongoing angst....but my anger will ebb over the coming weeks and months. It was a great year.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
As I said earlier in another thread, the Rangers weren't as good a team as their regular season record showed. Barely scraped by Pittsburgh with 4 2-1 wins; needed a 3-1 comeback vs Washington. Played a team with speed and skill, they couldn't contain them for the most part. Missing Zuccarello didn't help, but you never knew which NYR team would show up from game to game. To come out like that in a Game 7 at home is pathetic. They probably thought they won the series in Game 6.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015
It is quite possible that the Rangers were not that aggressive because they were trying to protect their goal. They knew they had a depleted defense and TB is the last team you want to go against with a depleted D. Maybe AV decided to pack it in tight, not be too aggressive and try to steal one with all the injuries. I have no idea, but either way they looked ****ing terrible for a President's Trophy champ.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
A gutless no show in a game 7 SC deciding game?

They had no business playing McDonagh who was a train wreck the majority of playoffs anyway.

Shut out back to back games by Bishop? Seriously? Everyone on the Rangers let themselves and the fan base down.

They didn't even try yesterday. No one stepped up. They lost like cowards.

This coach is a well dressed fraud. His idiocy is being masked by our goalie.

Last edited:

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Reading through the last 15 pages, I must say i'm pretty disappointed but not totally.

I say this b/c we didn't look that good in the pitt series. We should have blown them out, not win 2-1. Wash chocked as per usual and game 5 turned that series around. When you can't blow out teams like pitt what makes you think you'll do good against teams like tb, just not going to happen.

Pertaining to hank, his the HEART and SOUL of this team. His cap hit is nothing, a player with his heart, dedication and talent deserves to be paid. To think we pulled him in the 7th round is baffling. We need more of that. As for the future when his contract ends he'll be 39. I say he has about 3-4 years of solid performance in him (he's 33 now) I don't count this year b/c he didn't play half the season which bodes well down the road. After Hank retires and should we get no cup, its going to some tough years ahead. People will appreciate what we had once it's gone.

We need players who can score. MSL HAS TO GO, if hes brought back I'll be livid. Boyle should be traded and Glass contract needs to go, 1.4mil for a 4th line grinder are you ****in kidding me? Thats all AV there. The PP needs to be revamped, if we rid of boyle and msl then maybe yandle gets on the first unit which is where he should have been all along.

With zucc being hurt and we now find out about Mcd & staal it makes me feel a little better. Seriously, without those 2 guys we weren't winning anyway. I would have rather lost here than lose a game 7 in the scf where you're literally THAT CLOSE to winning it all.

Last edited:

Distortion9

Jun 5, 2014
Lindenhurst
Being a Rangers fan for over 30 years you would think that I would get use to the heartbreak. But no. No. Absolutely devastated right now.

Why didn't they prepare for the possibility of Tampa playing another game 5? I can't get my head around this.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think there's several of us trying to make the same point, but are just using different words to express it.

I wouldn't call it a cultural issue either, but more of character and accountability... it's just not consistent enough game in and game out.

What are we questioning after some losses? Effort... hunger... battle level... willingness to compete...

That wasn't a problem a few year ago.. but those teams weren't nearly as good

There's an arrogance there with the squad and not a consistent sense of confidence

I would say there are some character issues with guys in key roles... meaning guys that don't step up... or just have too many laizes faire outings

So much psychoanalysis going on by so many here.

Perhaps the fact that Tampa was more talented, especially at the forward position, was the determining factor.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
I feel sick but like i said above youre not winning the sc with 3 top players hurt, its literally impossible. So given that it makes me feel a lot better. Thats only 3 players who knows if something else comes out of the woodwork

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The problem is every freaking loss it's WOE IS ME SO SORRY FOR HANK BOO HOO.

It's a never ending parade of sadness for one dude.

No one said that you have to feel sorry for him, but the problem remains that he is by far their best post-season performer every season. Can't say that about any of the other contending teams.

Those of us that do feel sorry for him, are annoyed at people here who are critical of him, because we understand that we are watching this generation's Hasek performing on lesser teams.

I'm not saying he is as good as Hasek, but he is light years better than any of his contemporaries.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He's been consistently great in the playoffs.

You have maintained that it's all about team.

You have said Hank is at least partially to blame for the failure.

Now you say Glass has been great. You seem to have floating values in evaluating performance.

Saying Glass was great is bizarre. You are using the standard of he wasn't nearly as bad as in the regular season.

What was GREAT about Glass?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Well. That sucked.

Martin St. Louis - turnover machine, ineffective on every forecheck, can't score. See ya
Hayes - no SOG since game 2
Hagelin really faded this series
Kreider - needed more from him in this game
Nash - not getting done what he needs to. This could've been a game to remember but the Rangers as a whole couldn't get anything going.
Lundqvist - kept them in it for two. You can't win games without scoring

Not quite sure what TB figured out to be completely different at MSG. 4 goals in 4 games for the Rangers at home. Unacceptable.

And how in the holy hell did they win all of those face offs, for once, and still end up with only 11 shots through 2 periods? WTF?

TB deserved it. As much as it rankles my ass that they're moving on with our ex players.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Guys, don't wish for the money of the dark ages. That's not where the solution exists.

It's about spending the money you have wisely. Nash and MSL did not bring enough of a return on their investments from a salary standpoint. That's almost 18 percent of the team's budget. For that much money, you're looking for more than intangibles or "good defensive plays" from your high paid scorers.

This team doesn't need more money, it needs to make sure it gets a maximum return on the money it has.

This team needs a snarl and some attitude. And I don't mean fighters. I mean a mindset. A swagger.

Tampa is doing just fine without a snarl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad