Post-Game Talk: Lightning at Rangers - Game 7 - Lightning win series 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is just about the knee jerk next day silliness I expected. So absurd.

My confidence in them winning dropped dramatically when I saw they were going 11/7. That's not a good move ever IMO - creates confusion and uncertainty on the bench when there should only be confidence.

People can talk like injuries don't matter, but they do. I'm sure a broken foot in the NHL isn't a big deal from behind your keyboard.

I feel bad for Hank. Everyone else had to and should have done better in that game.

A loss is okay - that was a horrible loss though. Very low note to end the season on. Went out with a whimper.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
This is just about the knee jerk next day silliness I expected. So absurd.

My confidence in them winning dropped dramatically when I saw they were going 11/7. That's not a good move ever IMO - creates confusion and uncertainty on the bench when there should only be confidence.

People can talk like injuries don't matter, but they do. I'm sure a broken foot in the NHL isn't a big deal from behind your keyboard.

I feel bad for Hank. Everyone else had to and should have done better in that game.

A loss is okay - that was a horrible loss though. Very low note to end the season on. Went out with a whimper.

I wouldn't have went to the game if I knew this fact ahead of time. Awful decision by AV to go 11/7 for the first time this season during the biggest game of the playoffs.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
How much better can the ice be in Tampa where it's twice as hot?

There was nothing else going on in the building. And, it's not that the ice in Tampa was anything great; it at least was playable.

I ask that everyone watch the puck. It is never settled at MSG. It is always bouncing, skipping, and on edge. That split second it takes to corral a puck is an eternity in hockey. It allows the defender to gain a step.

I'm saying that it has to be something that's looked at.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
There is no dishonor in losing. Losing a game does not mean the members of the team are losers.

Not winning makes them losers. Putting forth that kind of putrid effort in the biggest game of the season with everything on the line is what losers do, and its inexcusable. It's not like they put forth a great game and got outplayed. They practically bought Bishop flowers while handing him the easiest playoff shutout you'll ever see (maybe only topped by the one the Rangers handed him in game 5). Losers.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I really think that people are underestimating the impact of Zucc's loss in these playoffs. He's one of the team's most gifted offensive players and besides being a top 6 player, he's on the PP & PK. That's a lot of key minutes that we had to replace and with MSL a complete no show, we were basically down 2, top 6 players.

I don't know if we beat Tampa with Zucc playing, but we sure as hell stood a better chance...

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not winning makes them losers. Putting forth that kind of putrid effort in the biggest game of the season with everything on the line is what losers do, and its inexcusable. It's not like they put forth a great game and got outplayed. They practically bought Bishop flowers while handing him the easiest playoff shutout you'll ever see (maybe only topped by the one the Rangers handed him in game 5). Losers.

Who did you feel wasn't giving a sincere effort?

When the Rangers win a 2-0 game, do you think it's because the other team didn't try?

BarbaraAlphanse

It is and was the whole team that came out with a weak performance. Even Henrik, who was playing unreal up to the point of the incredibly weak and back breaking goal.

He wasn't the main problem though. Not even close. Nor was the people's piñata Dan Girardi who everyone on here likes to beat on. Klein, Staal, and McDonagh played far worse this entire playoffs.

And then, ofcourse, the elephant in the room... The offense, which was not putrid last night, but something much more disappointing in my eyes.... Meek. They lost in the way none of us could have believed we'd witness. We could have lived with an effort and mistakes. They played conservative and without confidence. Tampa was there for the taking and no one did anything about it.

Somehow this is the story every year, this team needs to generate more offense.

Zucc being hurt didn't help, but it isn't an excuse. Where did Hagelin go all playoffs? Hayes disappeared after game 2. MSL was gone all playoffs.

Great season boys, but that game.... Something I hope to never have to see again.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015
There is no dishonor in losing. Losing a game does not mean the members of the team are losers.

Most of the time there is no dishonor in losing. There is dishonor in losing when you play like complete garbage and with little urgency.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
From what I could see, he didn't see the puck. If so, the speed of the shot is irrelevant. If he saw it, you're right.

However, I saw no big saves from Bishop.

You continue to maintain it is about team while singling out Hank.

It's difficult to take you too seriously when you state that Glass was great in these playoffs while complaining about the goaltender.

You do realize that's because people disagree with that and then I respond to them, correct? I mean, you can't seriously not grasp that.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

When the Rangers win a 2-0 game, do you think it's because the other team didn't try?

Pretty much the entire forward corps. Name one who had a good game or made an impact.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
It is and was the whole team that came out with a weak performance. Even Henrik, who was playing unreal up to the point of the incredibly weak and back breaking goal.

He wasn't the main problem though. Not even close. Nor was the people's piñata Dan Girardi who everyone on here likes to beat on. Klein, Staal, and McDonagh played far worse this entire playoffs.

And then, ofcourse, the elephant in the room... The offense, which was not putrid last night, but something much more disappointing in my eyes.... Meek. They lost in the way none of us could have believed we'd witness. We could have lived with an effort and mistakes. They played conservative and without confidence. Tampa was there for the taking and no one did anything about it.

Somehow this is the story every year, this team needs to generate more offense.

Zucc being hurt didn't help, but it isn't an excuse. Where did Hagelin go all playoffs? Hayes disappeared after game 2. MSL was gone all playoffs.

Great season boys, but that game.... Something I hope to never have to see again.

You answered your own question. Once Hagelin and Hayes started playing with MSL their offense disappeared. MSL really ****ed us this year.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015

They had 11 shots on goal thru 2 periods.... Are you ******** me. 11 shots on goal and you won 53 games all year. Putrid!

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Most of the time there is no dishonor in losing. There is dishonor in losing when you play like complete garbage and with little urgency.

Exactly. If they put their best foot forward and lose then there is no shame in that. That wasn't close to the Rangers best foot forward.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I really think that people are underestimating the impact of Zucc's loss in these playoffs. He's one of the team's most gifted offensive players and besides being a top 6 player, he's on the PP & PK. That's a lot of key minutes that we had to replace and with MSL a complete no show, we were basically down 2, top 6 players.

I don't know if we beat Tampa with Zucc playing, but we sure as hell stood a better chance...

I agree they missed Zucc, but not for the reasons you've stated. He plays minimal time on the PK. His time on the PP was given to Miller. Where he was missed is that he drives possession and he is a superb backchecker with the skating ability to keep up with the Johnson line. Plus, he brings a feistiness that is not always present in the current Ranger lineup. The biggest problem was that yes, his absence meant more icetime for the black hole known as MSL.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015
You answered your own question. Once Hagelin and Hayes started playing with MSL their offense disappeared. MSL really ****ed us this year.

He royally ****ed us this year in Game 2 when his trip up led to a 5-3 goal. That was a series changing **** up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I will make the hypothetical direct and simple. In a world with no salary cap, where the two teams switched goalies, what would have been the outcome?

Secondly, have you ever witnessed a series where a goalie had less to do with the outcome than Bishop in this series? T ampa's defensive effort in Games 5 and 7 reminded me of Canada's last time around.

Thirdly, how many difficult saves did Bishop have in this game? I counted none, but perhaps I missed one?

In a world with no salary cap we either have a lot more talent on the team or we are back in the dark ages spending stupidly.

The following questions are just about as relevant:

If this game was played on the moon, do you think we would win, chosen?

If this game was played with prison rules, do you think we would win, chosen?

If Tampa and the Rangers switched uniforms, do you think we would win, chosen?

If the Rangers played their games in Brooklyn, do you think we would win, chosen?

Do you see why I have a problem with such a question? Who cares about the answer when the question is a literally impossible or silly scenario?

Secondly, the Anaheim vs. Chicago series right now is looking that way.

Thirdly, he had a couple in the third. We actually tested him a few times then.

eyedoc

May 1, 2015

They could have easily won game 7 without Zucc, but when you throw in a one legged McD and an injured Staal. Makes things very difficult when facing a strong TB offense.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They looked tired again, which isn't, after all, surprising. There are a lot of reasons why it's incredibly difficult to repeat finals appearances. That's just one of them. The Lightning had more left in the tank.

Injuries is another. You have to have a fair amount of luck to even make it that far. Luck in not having injuries. Last year, aside from Girardi's broken finger, we had nothing. This year, our #1 D was playing on a broken foot and the guy I think most of us would describe as an offensive catalyst was out for the whole round.

And these aren't "excuses." They're reasons.

While getting shut out in the final game really hurts, I'm still incredibly proud of this years team. This season will definitely be a special one in memory.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think they'll be better next year. MSL is gone. And they can get more consistency from their top 3 lines after they plug Miller slides down to the 3rd with Hagelin and Hayes.

Trade Klein, sign Petry.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
its not Zucc, its not Av going 11/7, they just didn't earn it.

Lose 3 times at home? shutout twice at home?
how often in this series did they play their best hockey? well less than half the time.
the other team was pretty good at times

but the team didnt fight its best fight. so they lost.
and they deserved to

last year vs LA, they were swarmed at times, but they always fought back, they would bend, but barely break.
4-1, 5-game series loss to LA, made NYR look worse than it was

this series vs Tampa, NYR were disorganized, careless or a step behind a lot of the time.
4-3 7-game series loss to TBL made NYR look closer than they actually played.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
1. Tampa was by far better. That is the bottom line.

2. I am not thanking this team. Presidents trophy is a real feel good story but it's not why I watch hockey. The playoffs are the real season. Some bad luck with injuries but this series was 100% reactive by the Rangers. They don't deserve sympathy, they did not step up to the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad