Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Good thing I know people who can get behind that paywall and send me the transcript haha

So it is. At the bottom of your story on that, there's this passage:
"Additionally, Andersson didn’t want to come back to the Rangers but appears he’s had a change of heart."

Is that your source, this Anthony Scultore's source, or something else, and how reliable are they?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Kids are f***ing stupid, that’s why they’re kids. They say your brain doesn’t fully develop until your mid 20s. Yes, it’s a legit excuse. I dont know of a single person who hasnt drastically changed from his teens through to his 20s and 30s and beyond. Some people never truly change, but it’s few and far between. .

Hoping Lias comes around and have defended him throughout based on his age. lol, as far as brain development. i’ve been made aware of adults still dressing like teenagers in hopes of having heir socks signed by 17 year olds so your last sentence is true. :P

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The team would be foolish to not extend him an invite to the expanded roster camp

If Quinn actually plays him though I'd be surprised

Reactions: UnSandvich

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

See the expectation was that he was going to be a high activity player, who would do what you saw there, while checking a top 6 unit. If Ryan Callahan was a center, and more of at pest who played a little dirty, and had decent puck skills you would have a poor man's Ryan O'Reilly, a 40-50 point version of RoR.

Lias was one of the most disengaged athletes I've seen. Went back and watched a couple of periods from a variety of different games earlier this season while listening to some audiobooks. Was a good way for me to pass the time during the lockdown, still be productive, but also catch my hockey.

Hindsight does change perspective, but in many ways, and as very often as it does, it can correct some past thoughts, predictions, and sentiments.

So what kept Lias from the above?

Beyond the maturity, which is fixable, it was battle level. The skating was serviceable at a 4A level during pre-season. During the pre-season, he competed. Trying hard to make the team. He played well. He was engaged.

I have had my thoughts of Quinn's decision making, and yes that very much included the use of a 4th line, but I don't have a problem with how he handled Lias. Lias was not an engaged skater every night. He was emotionally indifferent.
  • Battle level is fixable.
  • Fitness is improvable.
  • Compete level is a controllable lever.
Everyone loves a good redemption story, admitting fault and climbing back up top is a good narrative. The question is, does Lias have the drive, and mental toughness to turn that into a sustainable career, or enjoy being a comfortable folk hero in the SHL?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So it is. At the bottom of your story on that, there's this passage:
"Additionally, Andersson didn’t want to come back to the Rangers but appears he’s had a change of heart."

Is that your source, this Anthony Scultore's source, or something else, and how reliable are they?

That's Anthony adding stuff at the end after talking to the author, Johan Rylander. That's not my text.

Reactions: UnSandvich

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
See the expectation was that he was going to be a high activity player, who would do what you saw there, while checking a top 6 unit. If Ryan Callahan was a center, and more of at pest who played a little dirty, and had decent puck skills you would have a poor man's Ryan O'Reilly, a 40-50 point version of RoR.

Lias was one of the most disengaged athletes I've seen. Went back and watched a couple of periods from a variety of different games earlier this season while listening to some audiobooks. Was a good way for me to pass the time during the lockdown, still be productive, but also catch my hockey.

Hindsight does change perspective, but in many ways, and as very often as it does, it can correct some past thoughts, predictions, and sentiments.

So what kept Lias from the above?

Beyond the maturity, which is fixable, it was battle level. The skating was serviceable at a 4A level during pre-season. During the pre-season, he competed. Trying hard to make the team. He played well. He was engaged.

I have had my thoughts of Quinn's decision making, and yes that very much included the use of a 4th line, but I don't have a problem with how he handled Lias. Lias was not an engaged skater every night. He was emotionally indifferent.
  • Battle level is fixable.
  • Fitness is improvable.
  • Compete level is a controllable lever.
Everyone loves a good redemption story, admitting fault and climbing back up top is a good narrative. The question is, does Lias have the drive, and mental toughness to turn that into a sustainable career, or enjoy being a comfortable folk hero in the SHL?
He played well for HV71 this year, but it’s not like he killed it there.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I know that clips can be misleading but I still say that the Lias Andersson that plays for/in sweden and the Lias Andersson that played for the rangers are not the same player its like night and day...no one is going to confuse him with grabner but his skating never seems to be an issue on the larger ice surface and then he comes here and his feet don't move and he glides around...I can only speculate that its a mental thing, whether its lack of confidence or maybe the nhl game is still too fast for him to process but it amazes me watching him playing in sweden. looks nothing like the guy we saw in ny.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Andersson has a ton of things in his game that can make him a good NHL player. He's pretty much been treated like garbage by the Rangers fan base. His mental and maturity issues have brought some of that on himself. However, giving up on him is a huge mistake. Most the of the Rangers forwards are pansies who are soft and won't score gritty goals. Lias can be the opposite of that if he can grow up and get control of his mental toughness. The Rangers need this kid to get it together.

Kravtsov has been just as big as a train wreck as Lias but like so many Russian prospects, is given a complete pass by the Rangers fan base. Much like Buchnevich who has pretty much been a sulking, inconsistent imbecile his entire Rangers career.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I still say a lot of the tools are there for a Mike Ricci type player and career.

Whether those tools come together, and whether they come together for us, is a different matter.

I think his stint with HV71, albeit a small sample size, has really shown his progression as a player in the last 24 months. He's much better than he was when he was playing in the SHL in his D+1 season with the Indians.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I still say a lot of the tools are there for a Mike Ricci type player and career.

Whether those tools come together, and whether they come together for us, is a different matter.
I wonder if the issues between him and Quinn are largely over how Quinn is thinking like you vs how Lias sees himself as Bergeron Jr.

Reactions: White Death 24

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wonder if the issues between him and Quinn are largely over how Quinn is thinking like you vs how Lias sees himself as Bergeron Jr.

I honestly think the breakdown happened coming out of camp and a frustration associated with decisions and actions (justified or not) in the first few weeks of the season.

The sad thing is that Andersson, has the potential to provide value in a much needed role for the Rangers. I’d dare say his value to the Rangers as an investment outweighs his value as a trade chip. Likewise, if Andersson can bear down and make that jump, even as a third line center, there is a lot of value there for him as well.

If anyone can broker a bridge, it’s JD. And I sincerely hope both sides are the better for it.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I honestly think the breakdown happened coming out of camp and a frustration associated with decisions and actions (justified or not) in the first few weeks of the season.

The sad thing is that Andersson, has the potential to provide value in a much needed role for the Rangers. I’d dare say his value to the Rangers as an investment outweighs his value as a trade chip. Likewise, if Andersson can bear down and make that jump, even as a third line center, there is a lot of value there for him as well.

If anyone can broker a bridge, it’s JD. And I sincerely hope both sides are the better for it.
I hope they do work it out. I always envisioned him as a 3rd C in the mold of Sarge. That is invaluable to a team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hopefully both sides can find a way to fix and get past it.

Situations like these, there are compromises to be made from both sides, faults admitted to by both camps. If they can meet in the middle, and get past this, I think all parties involved can be better for it. Learn from mistakes, don't let it fester and result in something worse.

The fact that the Rangers approved his loan to HV71 was the first step. It means they were talking to each other. Neither are giving up yet, which is a good sign. I just hope the Rangers prevent this situation from setting a precedent for future prospects since we have a lot coming over from Europe in the coming years. Hartford needs to be a place where they can thrive.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Andersson has a ton of things in his game that can make him a good NHL player. He's pretty much been treated like garbage by the Rangers fan base. His mental and maturity issues have brought some of that on himself. However, giving up on him is a huge mistake. Most the of the Rangers forwards are pansies who are soft and won't score gritty goals. Lias can be the opposite of that if he can grow up and get control of his mental toughness. The Rangers need this kid to get it together.

Kravtsov has been just as big as a train wreck as Lias but like so many Russian prospects, is given a complete pass by the Rangers fan base. Much like Buchnevich who has pretty much been a sulking, inconsistent imbecile his entire Rangers career.
We've been hearing about Andersson's toughness but I really haven't seen even a hint of it in his (albeit short) NHL tenure. Had he shown more fight, more pushback, id be much more optimistic.

Reactions: bl02

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I hope they do work it out. I always envisioned him as a 3rd C in the mold of Sarge. That is invaluable to a team.

If we are talking about Steve "Sarge" Vickers, he was the second line winger who had multiple 20 goal seasons over a ten year Ranger career. He was tough for sure but to be fair, I can't envision Lias as another Sarge. I'd rather have Lemieux in that role.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we are talking about Steve "Sarge" Vickers, he was the second line winger who had multiple 20 goal seasons over a ten year Ranger career. He was tough for sure but to be fair, I can't envision Lias as another Sarge. I'd rather have Lemieux in that role.

I believe he was referring to Nemchinov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad